Thoughts on Cabana Club, Nieuw Amsterdam (or Eurodam)

POA1

First, let me thank Krazy Kruizers & travelinjones for the photos they took of the Observation Deck cabanas. They were very helpful!

We're looking to forego our usual Half Moon Cay cabana and take a Cabana on the NA instead. This would be for a 14 Day B2B late this year. We are leaning towards the ones that sorta kinda overlook the Lido pool because they would seem to have better ventilation. (In reality, they probably overlook the retractable roof but HAL shot the virtual tour juusst so :) )

If you have had any experience with these, and wouldn't mind sharing you opinions, the pros & cons, and any tips or hints, we'd be grateful.

I love the retreat cabanas. I'm likely going to book a cruise on the NA pretty quick here and I will be booking a cabana. I loved the area. I'm getting less and less tolerant of being around and ton of people and it's very relaxing in that area. There are some cabanas with plexiglass walls in them that people don't seem to like but I didn't mind it. The only thing I didn't like was people that came walking thru the area that didn't belong there even going into my private cabana. Some people were raise by wolves. You couldn't pay me to take one of the lido cabanas.

We've done the cabanas three times. You're comment about overlooking the retractable roof is accurate. That's about all you see inside the ship. You can see the ocean beyond though. If your thought was to people watch the action around the pool you would be disappointed. We've had the family sized ones and they were probably in the prime locations on the corners.

For us, it is a great option when traveling with others as it is a perfect meeting and gathering spot. It eliminates those fun filled hide and go seek games. When traveling on our own, it begins to feel a little isolating so we just head to the veranda when we want quiet time and skip the cabana experience.

We've had great experiences with service and cabana neighbors as well.

We will only book a HAL ship with cabanas if we are going to the Caribbean. We find the ability to show up later in the morning and know that we have a place in both the shade and sun invaluable. Even in the Cabanas there are passengers who will leave items on loungers and leave for hours at at time. Agree with Cruz Chic on people cutting through the area, for some reason the Eurodam had little to no pedestrian traffic coming through: I can't remember if the Eurodam had a gate or a rope that deterred people from cutting through. On the NA whatever they used didn't work. We were comfortable leaving our iPods and Kindles in a bag in our cabana while we grabbed lunch or walked around the ship but now think twice about it with so many people coming through.

The side cabanas with plexiglass didn't bother us as we got great views of the ports, the front facing cabanas had a bit more of a breeze. The lido cabanas do not look appealing at all.

We will only book a HAL ship with cabanas if we are going to the Caribbean. We find the ability to show up later in the morning and know that we have a place in both the shade and sun invaluable.

Thanks. We're doing a Caribbean itinerary and thought that the Cabana on the Observation Deck might make more sense than getting the Half Moon Cay cabanas twice.

Have 2 cruises on Noordam booked. Already reserved retreat cabanas for both. In fact we have two booked for next Easter for a family cruise. Our first experience was on NA this past Feb. Retreat cabana. We had two other couples sailing with us. Completely worth it to us. The cabana steward service, shower to cool off, 'private' restroom, lunch served. Everything was great. One nice thing is that the cabana is considered an extension of your cabana. We asked our steward if we could bring one of our own bottles of wine to the cabana and he said just be discrete.

Dennis

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

JMO -- I would not spend money on a cabana anywhere on the ship. We always book cabins with a verandah.

We have never had problems getting a chair out in the sun when we wanted one.

I book a veranda too but that doesn't make any difference to me. At least in a cabana I don't have to deal with someone smoking next to me, cigars especially.

Another Retreat/Cabana Club lover here! Had one of the family cabanas on both Eurodam and NA. In our experience there wasn't a problem with people walking through as the area was roped off with a sign saying for Cabana users only, but there were a few times people would walk up to the area to ask one of the stewards how they could rent one. Of course all the cabanas were booked for the week.

Love the privacy and personal service. The private shower and restroom are nice, too. Cabana tip - there is a special Cabana Club lunch menu you can order from, and lunch is brought right to you. On the NA the cabana stewards would also bring you anything you wanted from the Lido Café as well. I would scope out what was available in the Lido and when I was ready for lunch tell the stewards what I wanted. It was always delivered with a smile.

Another Retreat/Cabana Club lover here! Had one of the family cabanas on both Eurodam and NA. In our experience there wasn't a problem with people walking through as the area was roped off with a sign saying for Cabana users only, but there were a few times people would walk up to the area to ask one of the stewards how they could rent one. Of course all the cabanas were booked for the week.

Love the privacy and personal service. The private shower and restroom are nice, too. Cabana tip - there is a special Cabana Club lunch menu you can order from, and lunch is brought right to you. On the NA the cabana stewards would also bring you anything you wanted from the Lido Café as well. I would scope out what was available in the Lido and when I was ready for lunch tell the stewards what I wanted. It was always delivered with a smile.

Thanks MaxxBoy and everyone else!

Would you wave us off of a regular cabana if we don't want a family one (Fambana?!?)

It was roped off on our cruise too but that didn't stop people from coming right in. That sign was for other people, not them:D;).

It was roped off on our cruise too but that didn't stop people from coming right in. That sign was for other people, not them:D;).

So you're saying we need to develop one of those, "Uh no you don't put your foot there" stares. :cool:

So you're saying we need to develop one of those, "Uh no you don't put your foot there" stares. :cool:

We would just wave to the curious people walking through and shout out a loud "hello, how are you doing?"

Tried to make them feel out of place as you get to know your neighbours in the other cabanas.

Overlooking the pool is a perfect location. We were able to see the Halcats playing by the Lido pool.

Just keep in mind that you might become addicted to cabanas after one cruise.

Not such a bad thing really. We have done 4 cruises with a cabana for a total of 63 days. Absolutely wonderful!

Thanks MaxxBoy and everyone else!

Would you wave us off of a regular cabana if we don't want a family one (Fambana?!?)

Certainly not. We just prefer a family cabana because of the size (two of us and you get a double lounger each) and yet get the better view. Do try to get one facing the pool as I think you'll have a better breeze, and you don't have a plexiglass "wall" to stare at.

Edited by maxxboy

If you want the upper deck cabanas - don't wait to book. Every time we've tried to book one on the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam they are always sold out. (We were traveling on holiday cruises.)

These cabanas are especially handy if you are in the spa verandah staterooms on deck 10 or 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just got home from a week on the Eurodam where we chose a Lido cabana . It was a perfect gathering place for our family of five. Older teen and twenties kids plus my husband and myself and we had plenty of room. We were always coming and going to various things plus we all used the pool and hot tubs so felt the upper level cabanas were not as convenient. Our service was amazing as the cabana stewards literally got us everything we wanted. We liked being in the middle of things and just closed our curtains when we wanted more privacy. It was perfect. I don't think the upper cabanas were even rented, it was windy and rained some plus we had a port intensive itinerary in the Mediterranean. So my advice is to think about how you will use the cabana and with whom and also where you are going. I am so glad we had the Lido cabana - my whole family loved it and the location was perfect for us. Enjoy!

We have had a cabana on all three ships that have them now. Love them. But yes, there is a problem with people just "passing through". A pretty serious problem on some days. We mentioned it to the HM or the Beverages Manager on each cruise. The cabana boys- who are EXCELLENT- try to deal with it, but are also trying not to be rude.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We just got home from a week on the Eurodam where we chose a Lido cabana . It was a perfect gathering place for our family of five. Older teen and twenties kids plus my husband and myself and we had plenty of room. We were always coming and going to various things plus we all used the pool and hot tubs so felt the upper level cabanas were not as convenient. Our service was amazing as the cabana stewards literally got us everything we wanted. We liked being in the middle of things and just closed our curtains when we wanted more privacy. It was perfect. I don't think the upper cabanas were even rented, it was windy and rained some plus we had a port intensive itinerary in the Mediterranean. So my advice is to think about how you will use the cabana and with whom and also where you are going. I am so glad we had the Lido cabana - my whole family loved it and the location was perfect for us. Enjoy!

I can totally see families with younger kids or teenagers wanting those but to me I wouldn't take it if it was free. The noise level alone would send me out of there. Very surprised to hear the retreat cabanas were not booked. I tried to do a daily rental for mine at first and was told it was not possible on my cruise.

I doubt we would rent a cabana during a Mediterranean cruise either. Way too port intensive.

As far as the Halcats band, they did play some while we were out on our cabana but it was not an issue at all.

I can totally see families with younger kids or teenagers wanting those but to me I wouldn't take it if it was free. The noise level alone would send me out of there. Very surprised to hear the retreat cabanas were not booked. I tried to do a daily rental for mine at first and was told it was not possible on my cruise.

My post was a bit misleading. My cruise was in the caribbean not the med. just wanted to clarify.

• 4 weeks later...
First, let me thank Krazy Kruizers & travelinjones for the photos they took of the Observation Deck cabanas. They were very helpful!

We're looking to forego our usual Half Moon Cay cabana and take a Cabana on the NA instead. This would be for a 14 Day B2B late this year. We are leaning towards the ones that sorta kinda overlook the Lido pool because they would seem to have better ventilation. (In reality, they probably overlook the retractable roof but HAL shot the virtual tour juusst so :) )

If you have had any experience with these, and wouldn't mind sharing you opinions, the pros & cons, and any tips or hints, we'd be grateful.

We booked a Retreat on Eurodam a couple of year's back, and have one booked on NA Cabana Club in the fall. We think one of the best upsells on any cruise ship. You have your own dedicated space all day, with two extremely accommodating attendants taking care of you. You can choose to be in either the shade, or sun.

We would recommend the cabanas not pool side, unless you are a family. Also would recommend the cabanas that overlook the pool/retractable roof, those get more air flow.

Overlooking the pool is a perfect location. We were able to see the Halcats playing by the Lido pool.

As far as the Halcats band, they did play some while we were out on our cabana but it was not an issue at all.

I'm interested in booking a Cabana Club retreat on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and your posts have prompted a question or two.

Besides "see"ing the HALCats, can you also hear them? If so, for how long? I would be looking for peace and quiet, and wouldn't want to put up with them. If it's only an hour or so, I suppose I could retreat elsewhere for a little while.

Also, is there piped-in "music" of some sort? There's no point in booking a cabana for peace and quiet if it's just one more place with noise pollution.

Thanks.