incident in giovannis specialty resturant this week

......I gotta' find a new cruise line......imagine sharing Formal Night with a bunch of "yahoos" that are not wearing custom designer tux and gowns.....how gosh.................:cool:

That is not true. It's not about yahoos or designers, it's about making yourself presentable. A tank top for dinner out, unless you are at your cousin's picnic, is not really appropriate. Come on.

Refrained fro BO/OB but that would be appropriate:

If I was sharing a table next to this "person" I would simply say "Sir you stink big and I 'm sure you are proud of it".............."you have ruined our dinner so I hope you can perhaps, maybe, but probably not taste yours and will send it back because it smells bad........:eek:........good night and have a great cruise"

I would have been more worried about a guy with severe BO than that....if he had BO I'd turn him away.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, please find a new cruise line if you agree with showing up to dinner in the MDR with sweat clothes..............thank you for your concern for those of us who would like to smell dinner and not YOU.........................You don't need a tux or even a jacket......................but what about a shower and clean casual clothess????? JOE

......I gotta' find a new cruise line......imagine sharing Formal Night with a bunch of "yahoos" that are not wearing custom designer tux and gowns.....how gosh.................:cool:

That is not true. It's not about yahoos or designers, it's about making yourself presentable. A tank top for dinner out, unless you are at your cousin's picnic, is not really appropriate. Come on.

Since threads on this topic crop up nearly weekly...there has to be some substance to it.

If people go to a nice restaurant...dress varies for sure...but if someone comes in like they just came off the golf course in the middle of July or else off the beach...they stand out big time without much of any effort to notice them.

Maybe that's what some of those folks are wanting...to be noticed. :eek:

But what is clear is that the 80/20 rule seems to apply when it comes to dining attire on a cruise ship:

About 80% of cruisers seem to care enough to wear some form of appropriate clothing to the Main Dining Room or Speciality Restaurants, while about 20% chose to wear much more casual (or in some cases extremely casual) attire.

While there are "guidelines" tied to these practices...they are randomly "enforced", and the original poster cited one example. Calling it an "incident" might be considered extreme...but not every "incident" is a big deal...it just may have been something out of the ordinary that captured the attention of others.

The overall impression some of us have is that the "me generation mindset" has caught up with the cruising experience (what matters to me is most important). Obviously that has various effects on those surrounding the "me" person.

I sat in the mdr at an upscale all inclusive resort in a swimsuit and a souvenir t'shirt. It was a semi-formal setting, no-one felt the need to smack any sense into me. The place didn't burst into flames either and the food was delicious.

Bathingsuit and t-shirt..... And what? Should we applaud??? You probably gave all those couples who have nothing to say to each other something to talk about.... Without you noticing of course! :p

For you to remember that "episode" is a sign that you must have noticed you stand out....

First, it sound like the person mentioned in the OP was dressed more for the beach than for dinner. While I am not a fan of dress codes, I do understand while the staff may have objected in this case. I am somewhat perplexed by the OP's inference that the person felt awkward. I'm guessing he was annoyed that he had to go back to his cabin. Not everyone is concerned by what other people think.

Which leads to my next thought. On these dress codes threads there seem to be two very different ways that people view their cruise line dining experience and I think that leads to the ongoing "fight". The first type think that dinner is a group experience and everyone is participating and affecting that group experience. They are concerned about what they are wearing, whether they fit in, and what others are wearing compared to them because they are part of the experience.

The second type of people (I am in this group), do not view dinner as a group experience. When I eat dinner on a cruise, I don't think of it any differently than going to a land-based restaurant. It is not a group experience and so all this talk about the "all about me" attitude and affecting other people's dinner makes no sense to me. Would you talk like this is you were going to an Olive Garden or even to a fancier restaurant? Do you even notice what other people are wearing or get upset if they aren't dressed the same as you? Why is it different on a cruise? I am on vacation with my family, not with the other people on the ship. As far as I am concerned, the only person's opinion that matters is the person who is standing at the door. Once I am past him, I am good.

Edited by deedeetoo
typos

deedeetoo I totally agree with you! I dress on cruises for dinner the way I dress on land based restaurants. I do not look or care what others are wearing and I don't make it a point to "check out" what people wear or make judgement.

Ever think perhaps that guy with the sleeveless shirt does think that particular shirt looks very nice and maybe its the best shirt he has or its his favorite shirt to wear? Maybe the guy saved up years for this cruise and couldn't afford to buy other clothing to wear just for this cruise or even maybe his kids paid for the cruise for him as a gift and he can't afford other clothing that satisfies your tastes?

You don't know a thing about that guy personally, he could be a doctor somebody that saves people's lives everyday, you can't judge them and shouldn't.

Anyway, what I am saying, I don't judge or care and I am on a cruise a ship that I know carries thousands of people your going to get all kinds, its just normal to know we will see everything sometimes, but it doesn't mean they right or wrong and nobody has to dress to "please" the passengers that expect passengers to dress the way they do....to each their own....its everybody's vacation enjoy it the way you like! :o

Edited by lyndamr

One time, my DH was the only customer in a busy restaurant wearing a suit.

He was not embarrassed.

Perhaps, the man you saw in Giovanni was retired young in South Florida with no need for a suit.

Penny

By that reasoning any man who is retired can wear his gym clothes to dinner!

Bathingsuit and t-shirt..... And what? Should we applaud??? You probably gave all those couples who have nothing to say to each other something to talk about.... Without you noticing of course! :p

For you to remember that "episode" is a sign that you must have noticed you stand out....

Nope, I remember it because I thought the gentleman who seated us showed exceptional class in seating us in the center of the room. Our dress choices being limited to the clothes we'd worn for two days of travel misadventures, or the items we found in the gift shop while we waited for our lost luggage to show up. I don't particularly care what others that I don't know and won't see again think.

People like you will assume what you like and you proved it with your comments. Now if you see someone experiencing issues, I can assure you that they won't take the time to worry about discreetly coming to each table to explain. So maybe, instead of judging, you can just shut your hole and mind your business because I'm sure if we examined your lifestyle I could find many equally irrelevant "flaws".

The problem with some people is they think they have a right to judge people and they need something to complain about or talk about. This is all drama and at my age drama isn't something that I want or need. You can't judge a person by its cover remember that.....you never know who they are.

I have dined in top restaurants such as in Las Vegas with very famous people, I have also had social events with these people, you would never know by the way they dress who they are unless you looked at their faces. Again, don't judge by the looks of the cover.

When I eat dinner on a cruise, I don't think of it any differently than going to a land-based restaurant. It is not a group experience and so all this talk about the "all about me" attitude and affecting other people's dinner makes no sense to me. Would you talk like this is you were going to an Olive Garden or even to a fancier restaurant? Do you even notice what other people are wearing or get upset if they aren't dressed the same as you? Why is it different on a cruise? I am on vacation with my family, not with the other people on the ship. As far as I am concerned, the only person's opinion that matters is the person who is standing at the door. Once I am past him, I am good.

BS! Come on. You're not "on vacation other people on the ship?" Of course you are. Someone at the table next to you is drunk every night and you don't notice his rude behavior? Someone sitting next to you at the theater hasn't showered all week and it doesn't bother you? You can't sit by the pool because all the chairs were saved at 7 am and you don't notice? BS! Of course you're "on vacation with other people on the ship." What others do does affect your enjoyment of the experience.

Having said that, how someone dresses doesn't affect anyone of us per se, but some things are totally inappropriate. Sleeveless shirts on men in any restaurant is inappropriate, and everyone notices. Does it ruin our dinner? No. But as you pointed out, it's like land based restaurants, where "No shirt, no shoes, no service" is standard. Does a guy without a shirt, or barefoot bother you? No, so why the rules? Restaurants, ANY restaurant, has certain standards they maintain. This is true on a cruise ship. And the reason is because a restaurant, especially a nice one, is trying to "create an experience" for their diners. So they demand coat and tie, or ban sleeveless shirts.

It's about decorum. It's about respect for others. It's about the experience. It may be "your vacation," but it's all of our vacations. There are 6000 others on that ship. What you do, how you act, and how you dress does count. That's why "topless" is not allowed on the pool deck.

First, it sound like the person mentioned in the OP was dressed more for the beach than for dinner. While I am not a fan of dress codes, I do understand while the staff may have objected in this case. I am somewhat perplexed by the OP's inference that the person felt awkward. I'm guessing he was annoyed that he had to go back to his cabin. Not everyone is concerned by what other people think.

Which leads to my next thought. On these dress codes threads there seem to be two very different ways that people view their cruise line dining experience and I think that leads to the ongoing "fight". The first type think that dinner is a group experience and everyone is participating and affecting that group experience. They are concerned about what they are wearing, whether they fit in, and what others are wearing compared to them because they are part of the experience.

The second type of people (I am in this group), do not view dinner as a group experience. When I eat dinner on a cruise, I don't think of it any differently than going to a land-based restaurant. It is not a group experience and so all this talk about the "all about me" attitude and affecting other people's dinner makes no sense to me. Would you talk like this is you were going to an Olive Garden or even to a fancier restaurant? Do you even notice what other people are wearing or get upset if they aren't dressed the same as you? Why is it different on a cruise? I am on vacation with my family, not with the other people on the ship. As far as I am concerned, the only person's opinion that matters is the person who is standing at the door. Once I am past him, I am good.

I tend to fall in the second group as well. We do enjoy dressing for formal night but I don't pay attention to what strangers are wearing. Certainly wouldn't consider it an "incident" if someone was dressed outside the guidelines. :rolleyes:

If I was in the first type (what I will label group A) I would be annoyed with the many I see that look like they bought their suit or gown in the 1950s. Or the blow hards that hold court at their table and except others to pay homage. I would notice these things as I have found group A people are annoyed over what others wear or say.

Thankfully I am not a group A person. :p:D

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

BS! Come on. You're not "on vacation other people on the ship?" Of course you are. Someone at the table next to you is drunk every night and you don't notice his rude behavior? Someone sitting next to you at the theater hasn't showered all week and it doesn't bother you? You can't sit by the pool because all the chairs were saved at 7 am and you don't notice? BS! Of course you're "on vacation with other people on the ship." What others do does affect your enjoyment of the experience.

Having said that, how someone dresses doesn't affect anyone of us per se, but some things are totally inappropriate. Sleeveless shirts on men in any restaurant is inappropriate, and everyone notices. Does it ruin our dinner? No. But as you pointed out, it's like land based restaurants, where "No shirt, no shoes, no service" is standard. Does a guy without a shirt, or barefoot bother you? No, so why the rules? Restaurants, ANY restaurant, has certain standards they maintain. This is true on a cruise ship. And the reason is because a restaurant, especially a nice one, is trying to "create an experience" for their diners. So they demand coat and tie, or ban sleeveless shirts.

It's about decorum. It's about respect for others. It's about the experience. It may be "your vacation," but it's all of our vacations. There are 6000 others on that ship. What you do, how you act, and how you dress does count. That's why "topless" is not allowed on the pool deck.

Its not BS. I am on vacation with my family. There are other people that happen to be on vacation at the same time, but I am not vacationing with them. There is a difference between bad behavior that does have an effect on other people and how someone chooses to dress which effects no one unless you choose to allow it to. This is no different from when we go to Disney. There are thousands of other people there at the same time, and their behavior may affect me, but I am not vacationing with them. Dressing on vacation is not about respect and the experience. But the fact that you think that it is shows that you are in the first group.

Nope, I remember it because I thought the gentleman who seated us showed exceptional class in seating us in the center of the room. Our dress choices being limited to the clothes we'd worn for two days of travel misadventures, or the items we found in the gift shop while we waited for our lost luggage to show up. I don't particularly care what others that I don't know and won't see again think.

People like you will assume what you like and you proved it with your comments. Now if you see someone experiencing issues, I can assure you that they won't take the time to worry about discreetly coming to each table to explain. So maybe, instead of judging, you can just shut your hole and mind your business because I'm sure if we examined your lifestyle I could find many equally irrelevant "flaws".

So you would have dress properly if you had not lost your luggage. That's what I understand your saying! Then what was the point of your post?? You're not making a statement, you're just sharing one event of your misadventure... Anyway...:rolleyes:

Sleeveless shirts for men and beach attire is not allowed in the smart casual venues or MDR. I have no problem with a guest being stopped and asked to change. But as long as they meet the minimum I really don't care all that much.

It is seeming to me that the ones who care THAT much about it and make a fuss are really the "it's all about me" types. Everyone has to do things THEIR way for THEIR enjoyment or else they can leave THEIR vicinity. Forcing your personal values on others is the definition of "it's all about me".

some seem to be missing the point, he was not allowed to wear that, didnt matter what the rest of us felt or liked or didnt like. The resturant turned him away and asked him to change.

Edited by Harooni

So you would have dress properly if you had not lost your luggage. That's what I understand your saying! Then what was the point of your post?? You're not making a statement, you're just sharing one event of your misadventure... Anyway...:rolleyes:

Nope, pointing out how you decided to assume you knew everything. You had as much info as you would have had sitting in the room watching. You chose to lay judgement rather than just mind your own business. You had a snarky comment you just had to get out.

I have to like someone before I care what they think of me. I don't give a hoot what you wear or what you think of my clothes. I'm comfortable with who I am and how I look. When I'm on vacation the only opinion on my appearance besides my own that matters is my wife's. If your uncomfortable with that, then that is your problem. You are not taking personal responsibility for your happiness and at the same time you are granting me a lot of power over your emotions. That is a bad risk because your happiness isn't my priority.

Nope, pointing out how you decided to assume you knew everything. You had as much info as you would have had sitting in the room watching. You chose to lay judgement rather than just mind your own business. You had a snarky comment you just had to get out.

I have to like someone before I care what they think of me. I don't give a hoot what you wear or what you think of my clothes. I'm comfortable with who I am and how I look. When I'm on vacation the only opinion on my appearance besides my own that matters is my wife's. If your uncomfortable with that, then that is your problem. You are not taking personal responsibility for your happiness and at the same time you are granting me a lot of power over your emotions. That is a bad risk because your happiness isn't my priority.

This is one of the most well thought out, accurate, non-grade school level replies I have ever read on this site. Brilliant really.

Besides this being something more cruisecritic than cruising related, I´ve said this before - it is something created by weak Actions of the cruiselines. I don´t care about if there´s a Dress code / Suggestion or not and if there´s a formal night or not. I think though if a cruiseline sets some Dress codes / Guidelines / suggestions or whatever you want to call it they Need to enforce those. If they are not ready to enforce them, just skip them alltogether.

People dressed like a hobo at dinner will not ruin my dinner or cruise. They will be most likely part of the conversation though and my thoughts and comments won´t be in their favour;). However they´d more be an entertaining part of the evening like the appearance of a Clown.

For those who say don´t rate a book by the cover and it could be nice or highly sucessful People. I agree they could be very nice and very sucessful, but I wouldn´t care at that Point. Making an appearance like that for dinner tells me enough about them. :eek: I don´t rate books by the cover, but People by their manners - Dressing appropriately for the Occasion with or without Guidelines is part of this.

For those that don't know why you would post this, I for one thought it was humorous, and I was pleased to see some standards being set for a restaurant you pay extra for. Just my opinion.

I don't understand why people don't understand why you post this, then they read the whole lot, and then they take the time to post their reply, which lets us all know they read it, and cared enough to post a reply! I see the same thing with online news articles about TV shows, that people never watch, and they read the article, and then take the time to post about how they never watch the stupid show??? HUH????

I posted a while back when I was a bit peeved that people were in the MDR with shorts, logo/joke t-shirts, and flip flops. At the same table there were some very well dressed ladies also. It was slightly annoying to me, but I still enjoyed my dinner and my dining table company. The reply from some was that it is up to the host to determine what is acceptable. Fair enough, I do accept that as a fair comment. Well, this article gives me hope that a specialty restaurant does have some level that the host expects.

That is what I got from this thread, and I found it helpful for future cruise packing, as I need to fly home next trip, and I want to pack light. A bunch of sleeveless tops isn't gonna do! ;)

well said, i mainly posted it because i thought it was a little funny, but also for those taking the wear what you like advice from many here, they may want to know they can be asked to change.

Edited by Harooni

Bingo. Post of the day right there, and I will use it in all future dress code threads.

If you could not judge others around you, why would these fuddy duddys have to do with their lives? Actually enjoy themselves and not bitch about everything around them?

The dress code gestapo use extreme example to justify their nastiness. Of course a stinky set of gym clothes is not appropriate, nor is going topless (sorry to say) But other than health and hygiene and covering your proper areas (including armpits for men), why does anyone care?

As long as you dont smell, what is covered needs to be covered, what you wear is between you and the cruise line. I wont even notice or care.

I must say I am disappointed in this thread, not once reference to Walmart or Carnival Cruise line? Dress code warriors, you are off your game today.

Edited by twindaddy