booked accessible ov- no questions why

I booked an accessible OV through a TA. I haven not been asked why I need the room or to fill amything in - should I have been, I do not want bumped from this room as it looks twice the size of the other OV rooms.

I booked an accessible OV through a TA. I haven not been asked why I need the room or to fill amything in - should I have been, I do not want bumped from this room as it looks twice the size of the other OV rooms.

Those of us that need these cabins many times book them 1 1/2 to 2 years out so someone doesn't take them "just for the extra room".

Unless the HA was the last available cabin in the class, here is the link where you "should" be required to certify to needing it:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Accessibility+&faqId=4513&faqSubjectId=414&faqType=faq

If you are just booking it for the extra room ..... I can't type/say my true thoughts in an open uncensored forum.

You should have been asked "do you have a mobility or other disability that requires the use of this stateroom?" They cannot and will not ask you what that disability is, only whether or not it exists.

Your TA also should have sent you the special needs form to request any other assistance you may need.

If you do not have a need for the room you can get bumped if someone with a need requests it. That is only fair. When is your cruise?

Our B2B next summer will be our first cruise with a wheel chair for DH. I would have preferred a regular cabin near the elevator, for mobility reasons, but there are none available.

Hard to believe this when I booked in February 2014 for an August and a September 2015 cruise, but the big box TAs grab all the better location cabins.

We did have to email a form to them stating the reason we needed the cabin. That was different from the usual special needs form, but it had the other special needs information to check.

If you booked after final payment they will not ask... that cabin was released to the general pool after the final payment date. If you booked before final payment and do not fill out the proper paperwork, stating your needs, then there is a good chance that you will be bumped from the cabin.

Accessible cabins do have some additional space... but closet space is extremely limited and not really user friendly because of the additional features for those who can not stand. The bathrooms are larger, but when you use the shower the entire floor gets wet because they are 'roll-in' showers for those who need to use them in a wheel chair.

There is a right and a wrong here... if you have booked the cabin for additional space and do not have a need for the accessible features, then you will have to live with the knowledge that you have probably made it impossible for someone with needs to enjoy this cruise. No matter what your TA does... or what RCI does or does not do... I'm hoping you are someone who will do the right thing in this situation.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

And I've been trying to book an accessible JS for days but can't find one when/where we want to travel. To think that someone might have them booked for the extra space makes my stomach turn. :(

If that cabin has been released for anyone, then you shouldn't feel quilty. Most folks who actually NEED those cabins will book well in advance. Yes...if they need the cabin, they will likely move you.

If you booked after final payment they will not ask... that cabin was released to the general pool after the final payment date. If you booked before final payment and do not fill out the proper paperwork, stating your needs, then there is a good chance that you will be bumped from the cabin.

Accessible cabins do have some additional space... but closet space is extremely limited and not really user friendly because of the additional features for those who can not stand. The bathrooms are larger, but when you use the shower the entire floor gets wet because they are 'roll-in' showers for those who need to use them in a wheel chair.

There is a right and a wrong here... if you have booked the cabin for additional space and do not have a need for the accessible features, then you will have to live with the knowledge that you have probably made it impossible for someone with needs to enjoy this cruise. No matter what your TA does... or what RCI does or does not do... I'm hoping you are someone who will do the right thing in this situation.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Well said.

And I've been trying to book an accessible JS for days but can't find one when/where we want to travel. To think that someone might have them booked for the extra space makes my stomach turn. :(

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=414&faqSubjectName=Accessibility+&faqId=4514

You must be sick weekly

Edited by setsail

If we can't get an accessible cabin, we can't cruise. My daughter is disabled and uses a power chair. I called Carnival to ask about availability of accessible cabins recently and was told they WOULD bump an able-bodied person from an accessible cabin if no others were available for us. So long answer to your question...yes, you can get bumped from it.

Those of us that need these cabins many times book them 1 1/2 to 2 years out so someone doesn't take them "just for the extra room".

Unless the HA was the last available cabin in the class, here is the link where you "should" be required to certify to needing it:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Accessibility+&faqId=4513&faqSubjectId=414&faqType=faq

If you are just booking it for the extra room ..... I can't type/say my true thoughts in an open uncensored forum.

As someone who gladly squeezes her rental scooter and travel walker into a D1 Balcony cabin so some who REALLY needs a HA cabin can have it, the best I can do to clean my comments is......I'm disappointed in the behavior.

Are we a week or two from sailing and willing to vacate if someone with true need wants the cabin? If so? I am sorry if I offended you.

Sorry I should have been clearer- I have MS and use a wheelchair, I can walk with sticks on good days (but have no idea in advance if I will be in a good phase in aug 2015- also if I am (hoping and hoping!) and manage to walk about a little to see sites I know that by the time I am back on ship I will not be fit to walk any more for the rest of the day so I will be back in the chair (thus I need the space as the other room I at looked was nicer -PV room- and was more or less the same price as the accessible on deck 2) . I also need bars and shower seats. My concern is that as I have not filled anything in when the TA (first time I have used a TA) booked - I do not want to be bumped, that's why I asked if there was anything to fill in (I have never cruised with RCI so didn't know what the procedure should be).

I will contact my TA

Edited by fragilek

Sorry I should have been clearer- I have MS and use a wheelchair, I can walk with sticks on good days (but have no idea in advance if I will be in a good phase in aug 2015- also if I am (hoping and hoping!) and manage to walk about a little to see sites I know that by the time I am back on ship I will not be fit to walk any more for the rest of the day so I will be back in the chair (thus I need the space as the other room I at looked was nicer -PV room- and was more or less the same price as the accessible on deck 2) . I also need bars and shower seats. My concern is that as I have not filled anything in when the TA (first time I have used a TA) booked - I do not want to be bumped, that's why I asked if there was anything to fill in (I have never cruised with RCI so didn't know what the procedure should be).

I will contact my TA

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

I feel the need to apologise for those above who made assumptions about your health that were unfounded. I'm also sorry that you had to go into length about why you need the extra room. It's none of our business.

you can find the special needs form on royals site..fill it out and submit..even without your TA...

happens all the time....i think someone linked the form here somewhere...i have booked cabins for people and never touch the spec needs form...i know clients need the accessible cabin but really i do not need to know whT special equipment may be needed...

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

If that cabin has been released for anyone, then you shouldn't feel quilty. Most folks who actually NEED those cabins will book well in advance. Yes...if they need the cabin, they will likely move you.

I have to say this just isn't true. I wish more were available at the last minute. We can only ever book within about 3-4 months because of my husband's myeloma and how how he is faring. We also like to take our disabled adult son who uses a wheelchair with us as he loves Royal C ships. I called them back in Feb about cruises in May/June but there was nothing accessible available on any of the trips in the price range/sailing dates I wanted. Unfortunately this means we still have a cruise credit for him (given because the hoist broke on a Celebrity Cruise when he was in it and he also got noro) which we are probably going to lose as it will expire before we will get chance to use it :(

I have to say this just isn't true. I wish more were available at the last minute. We can only ever book within about 3-4 months because of my husband's myeloma and how how he is faring. We also like to take our disabled adult son who uses a wheelchair with us as he loves Royal C ships. I called them back in Feb about cruises in May/June but there was nothing accessible available on any of the trips in the price range/sailing dates I wanted. Unfortunately this means we still have a cruise credit for him (given because the hoist broke on a Celebrity Cruise when he was in it and he also got noro) which we are probably going to lose as it will expire before we will get chance to use it :(

3-4 months out, accessible rooms are not generally available to the public at large. They are released to everyone, if not booked, around the last month before sailing. There are rare exceptions but I think you might be running into the genuine issue of them being booked. It is a tough position, there are so few accessible rooms on the ships.

I will contact my TA

Your TA should have requested that you complete RCCL's Special Needs Form. Since the TA didn't suggest this than I am suggesting that you go on line and complete the form yourself. Here's the link : https://secure.royalcaribbean.com.au/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

I too have MS and fully understand your need for an accessible cabin. Have you considered renting a mobility scooter for the cruise ? That's what I do and I'm able to enjoy the cruise much better. It allows me more freedom and better manage the fatigue that so many of us endure. When I return to the ship I'm not exhausted or over heated and can enjoy the rest of the day/evening even if I choose to use my rollator on board. Hope you give it some thought.

Also suggest that if you have any further questions please post them on this form instead http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Here's the links to RCCL's approved vendors

http://www.carevacations.com

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

Enjoy your cruise !

Edited by xxoocruiser

Y

I too have MS and fully understand your need for an accessible cabin. Have you considered renting a mobility scooter for the cruise ? That's what I do and I'm able to enjoy the cruise much better. It allows me more freedom and better manage the fatigue that so many of us endure. When I return to the ship I'm not exhausted or over heated and can enjoy the rest of the day/evening even if I choose to use my rollator on board. Hope you give it some thought.

Also suggest that if you have any further questions please post them on this form instead http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Here's the links to RCCL's approved vendors

http://www.carevacations.com

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

Enjoy your cruise !

I did not know that was an option in Europe- Last year we went Florida and I rented one there- It just made my holiday soooo much better. It was the first time since I took ill that I had to wait for my family to catch up with me. lol I will definitely do this if it is available. thanks

I did not know that was an option in Europe- Last year we went Florida and I rented one there- It just made my holiday soooo much better. It was the first time since I took ill that I had to wait for my family to catch up with me. lol I will definitely do this if it is available. thanks

It's not an option for all embarkation ports in Europe but is definitely worth checking into. Carevacations would mostly likely be the better option of Europe but would check both companies. Also you might consider renting one locally near your home and taking it with you on the plane.

I will contact my TA

Good Idea, call your TA and make it clear you must not be bumped out of this cabin and you need to have special needs notified. Have a great cruise.

I will contact my TA

I am happy that I waited to respond until after you said this. I also have MS, I walk using a cane on good days and forearm crutches on bad days. I hope that you enjoy your cruise and that you are feeling well for the entire trip. I find that cruising is the best vacation for those of us with this disease. If I feel like crap my wife can hang out at the solarium and I can sleep/relax on our balcony. Thank God for room service.

Edited by Fat Paul

Also, how do you deal with the heat? I tend to spend a lot of time in the solarium pool and stay hydrated. This last year I lost about 90lbs so that should help me stay cooler. I will be doing a western Caribbean cruise in less than 30 days so I will see if the weight loss helps. God bless you and have a great cruise.

Also, how do you deal with the heat? I tend to spend a lot of time in the solarium pool and stay hydrated. This last year I lost about 90lbs so that should help me stay cooler. I will be doing a western Caribbean cruise in less than 30 days so I will see if the weight loss helps. God bless you and have a great cruise.

I seem to be ok in the heat- I have a very strange form of MS - I have recurring transverse Myelitis. So basically it is just MS of the spinal cord probably caused by Lupus. Each attack cuts into my cord so there is less chance for any remission after each attack. To try and stop further attacks I am on a chemo type drug - so far so good - no more major attacks since going on it. Draw back I can only be on it for 5 years. I get tired more by the actual effort and concentration it takes to make my left leg move when using sticks. And when the lupus is playing up it is painful to take the weight through my arms and shoulders to use the sticks. But lucky in that so far I have no brain involvement so the heat and other brain factors of MS are not so much of an issue for me.

Hope the Caribbean is not too hot for you and well done on your weight loss- Its so hard to keep the weight off when we are not able to exercise- I now eat no carbs and only have between 1000-1300 cal a day- not fun.

Edited by fragilek

Hi, I've been reading this thread with interest & just thought I'd jump in & tell my experience if that's ok?. A few weeks ago, probably around final payment time, I booked a 7 night Western Med for 1st June through my local TA. I booked an inside G'tee for DH & myself. A few days later when my paperwork came through I noticed we'd been allocated an accessable cabin on deck 10. Among the paperwork was the disability questionnaire. I phoned my TA who said that the cabin had presumably not been needed & not to complete the questionnaire unless RCCL got in touch & requested it.

Obviously we don't want to keep this cabin if it's needed by someone, but seeing as it was allocated around final payment I'm assuming we won't be moved?

As an aside, this is our 1st cruise with RCCL, we got an excellent deal & are delighted with the location of our inside g'tee.

I seem to be ok in the heat- I have a very strange form of MS - I have recurring transverse Myelitis. So basically it is just MS of the spinal cord probably caused by Lupus. Each attack cuts into my cord so there is less chance for any remission after each attack. To try and stop further attacks I am on a chemo type drug - so far so good - no more major attacks since going on it. Draw back I can only be on it for 5 years. I get tired more by the actual effort and concentration it takes to make my left leg move when using sticks. And when the lupus is playing up it is painful to take the weight through my arms and shoulders to use the sticks. But lucky in that so far I have no brain involvement so the heat and other brain factors of MS are not so much of an issue for me.

Hope the Caribbean is not too hot for you and well done on your weight loss- Its so hard to keep the weight off when we are not able to exercise- I now eat no carbs and only have between 1000-1300 cal a day- not fun.

I have a friend who had a very scary experience with TM, only once as a teen. I have secondary progressive MS so not many relapses. I am able to exercise, I have learned to walk with my sticks for considerable distances. I have a lot of fatigue and substantial cognitive impairment, worse when tired or stressed. Stay well and keep fighting.