Why isn't Breakaway Docked?

I'm sure this will do wonders for the Ship Ratings on CC :rolleyes:

I have to believe it'll be fixed quickly, but I'm skeptical the ship will sail out on time. There is a ton of stuff to unload and load. Losing a few hours is a pretty big problem for that.

I feel bad for the crew. No doubt they were being screamed at by some of those people.

NCL is very good at communicating. We sailed out on the Jewel the day of Hurricane Irene in 2011. The day before we got messages on house phone,cellphone, emails, travel agent, even my emergency contact , my Mom in Florida got the message that we needed to be at the port early since the ship was sailing at 2pm that day to head out before the storm really started. Good luck to everyone sailing today.

I was thinking the same thing...

I think the Breakaway is celebrating her first anniversary today..

As for the lady who is without her meds, she sounds like a chronic complainer. This is a bump in the road of travel and if she can't suck up something as small as this she might want to consider staying home. I guess its possible that she packed her meds in her suitcase which wouldn't be with her but I hope she learned a lesson to keep meds in her carry on. Its a smart thing to do in case your luggage gets lost too! The press loves people like this, it wouldn't be news if everyone simply said "we had a great trip and this is no big deal" My brother sailed on a ship this winter with a large amount of Noro cases. When they were getting off the ship in Florida a newscaster approached them, my brother said that he didn't know anything about it, their response was "RUMOR WILL DO"!

The women who complained in the article, what I want to know from her is, did she want the captain to just wing it and risk lives? People like that annoy me!! NCL was doing everything right!! If people have noticed, NCL has had a good track record. No breaking down in the middle of nowhere and having to go in the bathroom in bags, no huge norovirus outbreaks that make the news. Obviously they are doing something right. Caring for the safety of the passengers. I was once on a flight that had to make an emergency landing because the electrical system was faulty. We landed in DC instead of Newark. Some passengers had to stay overnight in DC (on the airlines expense) because they didn't have enough seats that day to get everyone home. Most people were happy the pilot landed the plane to check out what was going on. Of course 2 people were complaining. What do they want the airline to do, say of screw it lets just go for newark, we are so close anyway. Do people think the airline wanted to spend thousands to put people up in hotels, meals etc? The airline was being safe, just like NCL was this morning.

A huge shout out to NCL for being safe and having the safety of their passengers first on their minds.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was on the Navigator of the Seas in Feb when we were fogged out of Galveston untill 2:00pm.

This is really tough on the crew and the dock side folks. The crew essentially will not get a break and be 24-hours on duty...

I hope all the passengers will "RELAX" and go with the flow....

GOOD LUCK NCL....

I am confident that all hands will be on deck doing the best job possible.

Just returned from taking my kids and their spouses to the port to board the Splendor.

What a disaster as far as traffic. We arrived at 11...and MEGA people were leaving the Breakaway ship at the same time.

Took us 1/2 an hour to go 4 very short blocks on 12th Ave.

Looking at live webcams, there's still a long line of 40+ waiting for taxis across 12th Avenue & 48th Street, and more waiting for car service/limo & private car pickup and it's almost 2 PM EDT - lots of traffic in the area, still. Let's hope most folks managed to make their afternoon flights, trains & out-of-town buses to get safely home.

Not a good day for the already hard-working crew & officers, who undoubtly will be in overdrive & turbo mode for the turnaround.

Medications, from NCL's FAQ section (in prints, and, of course, most will claimed "oh, I didn't know or read it) - " Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items " That is, keep in as your personal belongings at all times - would someone pack their wallets, ID's and expensive items in checked luggage and let them out of sight. Odds are you will survive, for a few hours without promptly taking your meds - as they're been left outside the stateroom since 11 PM overnight, regardless.

When we trained for emergency preparedness and discuss items for a personal go-bag or 72 hours kit, we asked employees to keep a minimum of 3 days worth of prescription & OTC medications that are needed; but, strongly recommend a full 5 days supply of medications - and copies of the Prescriptions as written and/or pharmacy info, so that if necessary, it can be refilled.

Edited by mking8288

Just got off the wonderful breakaway. Unfortunately there were a out 3,000 people trying to get off at the same time. Even after captain announced not to go to deck of disembarkation we went down when asked.... No one had gotten off ship yet and there were crying screaming and ranting people. Problem was, shop was not cleared by customs until an hour after people were called to get in line to get off!

Just got off the wonderful breakaway. Unfortunately there were a out 3,000 people trying to get off at the same time. Even after captain announced not to go to deck of disembarkation we went down when asked.... No one had gotten off ship yet and there were crying screaming and ranting people. Problem was, shop was not cleared by customs until an hour after people were called to get in line to get off!

Crying?? Good grief. What is wrong with people???

Was there at 11...WHAT A MESS it was

The ship is docked now, and I see a crane working along side it. Would that be the repairs being done at the pier?

For such a new ship to develop azipod problems, is really unexpected. Hopefully, NCL will be able to solve this problem soon.

My wife and I just returned from being stuck on the Breakaway while it was attempting to dock in NYC. We were both shocked at how thoroughly unprepared the staff was for such an event.

There was complete chaos, confusion, and overcrowding surrounding points of egress and at one point, tempers flared so much that a fistfight nearly broke out. There were hardly any crew members present to direct passengers and very little meaningful information was being conveyed from the captain.

It was clear that the staff was untrained in any safety protocols and that if there had been serious emergency such as fire or flooding, there would likely have been unnecessary injuries and/or mortalities.

A little planning would have gone a long way to help with an orderly disembarkation. I'm happy to share more details if anyone is curious.

My wife and I just returned from being stuck on the Breakaway while it was attempting to dock in NYC. We were both shocked at how thoroughly unprepared the staff was for such an event.

There was complete chaos, confusion, and overcrowding surrounding points of egress and at one point, tempers flared so much that a fistfight nearly broke out. There were hardly any crew members present to direct passengers and very little meaningful information was being conveyed from the captain.

It was clear that the staff was untrained in any safety protocols and that if there had been serious emergency such as fire or flooding, there would likely have been unnecessary injuries and/or mortalities.

A little planning would have gone a long way to help with an orderly disembarkation. I'm happy to share more details if anyone is curious.

Perhaps if people weren't so hung up on themselves, it would have gone better? Just asking (NOT flaming!!).... was that the problem? I can't imagine getting into a fist fight, or screaming, yelling, or crying over a delayed arrival. The ship wasn't sinking ... it wasn't on fire .... someone wasn't there holding everyone hostage at gunpoint. I just don't understand the "chaos" and .... drama. Maybe you can explain? Thanks!

Edited by SissasMomE

Perhaps if people weren't so hung up on themselves, it would have gone better? Just asking (NOT flaming!!).... was that the problem? I can't imagine getting into a fist fight, or screaming, yelling, or crying over a delayed arrival. The ship wasn't sinking ... it wasn't on fire .... someone wasn't there holding everyone hostage at gunpoint. I just don't understand the "chaos" and .... drama. Maybe you can explain? Thanks!

YES this!

Considering poster #111 claimed this "Even after captain announced not to go to deck of disembarkation" it seems the pax are more responsible for the chaos than the Captain or crew. It appears you live in New York. If I lived in NY I would have waited until they called last call for pax to get off of the ship. Two reasons...Number 1 I would have wanted to avoid the chaos and number 2 to give the pax who had flights a small chance at catching them.

We were both shocked at how thoroughly unprepared the staff was for such an event.

Based on your account, I'm far more shocked at how thoroughly unprepared the passengers were for such an event. Holy moly!

Do you really believe this? Aren't you being a tad dramatic? Or are you the same person who packed their medication in their checked baggage? :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity -- why didn't people just go back to their rooms and wait it out? If they tried to kick you out of your room, I would have just said "I'll leave the room as soon as the ship has cleared customs."

Why wait in the public areas?

[quote name='SissasMomE']Don';t know if this one was posted or not. It was a side thruster malfunction, according to the article. I have to laugh at the nasty people and their comments in this article. Geez.

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/breaking-cruise-ship-stuck-hudson-river-article-1.1778932[/url][/QUOTE]

The woman complaining called this an "emergency". Give me a break. Now they will be saying they will sue, right? :rolleyes:

[quote name='yg90']Just out of curiosity -- why didn't people just go back to their rooms and wait it out? If they tried to kick you out of your room, I would have just said "I'll leave the room as soon as the ship has cleared customs."

Why wait in the public areas?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Exactly!
In the announcement in the YouTube video, they told people that they ABSOLUTELY could go back to their staterooms and wait for disembarking to start.
I hope that everyone had a good cruise up until this morning.

~Robin
Norwegian Breakaway July 2014
Carnival Miracle 2010
Carnival Legend 2006

Going back to the rooms was impossible. At the point that my wife and I arrived on deck 7, it was so crowded that it was impossible to move anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='VickiD59']Two years ago when coming into the Harbor on the Carnival Miracle, it was a very windy day and the river was pretty choppy. We made two attempts to turn to pull into the pier slip, but the wind and the current kept swinging the aft end in to soon, and we were very close to hitting the Intrepid dock. We were starboard aft so we had a great view from our balcony - it took two tug boats to get between the Miracle and the dock and push the ship out so that it could straighten into the slip. This pic was early in the process with only one tug.. it took two to hold her steady - there was a third on it's way. You can see how close we are to the dock.. the whole maneuver took over an hour to complete.
[URL="http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/VickiD59/media/IMG_0425.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o492/VickiD59/IMG_0425.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[IMG]http://<a href=http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/VickiD59/media/IMG_0425.jpg.html target=_blank>[IMG]http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o492/VickiD59/IMG_0425.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

While all the above may be accurate, this is a picture of a tug pushing at the Fuel barge that is used to fuel the ship. I doubt very much that they would push against the fuel barge to move the ship...

Sorry, midiman, but my m.o. is to stay in the room until that moment right before they threaten to call security. No sense waiting in the public areas.

The other thing that this reminds me of is when an airline gate opens for boarding and EVERYONE rushes into the line hoping to be the first to board. I'm always the last to board even if I'm priority or first class so that I can just walk on without having to wait on the jetway.