Brown rice

LawDog61

Speak to your head waiter and I am sure you will be accommodated. Usually you need to make any special requests 24 hours in advance. One of the things that I really love about Princess is the wonderful selection of fresh fruits and vegetables. My starches of choice are the wonderful pastas and the dinner rolls. Ask with a smile and Princess will do what they can to make you happy.

Speak to your head waiter and I am sure you will be accommodated. Usually you need to make any special requests 24 hours in advance. One of the things that I really love about Princess is the wonderful selection of fresh fruits and vegetables. My starches of choice are the wonderful pastas and the dinner rolls. Ask with a smile and Princess will do what they can to make you happy.
I agree with Carolyn. You can always ask for a modification of your dish by asking for rice (don't know about the brown rice without pre-ordering it) instead of the potato or side that comes with the dish. You can ask for the always available Fettuccini Alfredo as a side dish or appetizer instead of as an entree. We often pre-order steamed vegetables or a chef's salad from the Head Waiter the night before. Just let your waitstaff you want to see the next night's menu and (s)he will let the Head Waiter know and he'll come over. BTW, while the Fettuccini Alfredo is good, the Princess spaghetti carbonara is to die for. Edited by Pam in CA

But the basic question remains.

Has anyone seen brown rice ever served on Princess?

nope. only white. But the veggies are always available. My hubby and I let our waiter know that we want a plate of steamed broccoli with our meal every night, regardless of what veggies are in the meal. Favorite starch on board is the bread. The bakers are awesome.

I always use brown rice at home, but it won't ruin my dining experience if I don't have rice for awhile

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No - pretty much all the starches on board are white (cheaper and quicker to cook) although some of the bread looks brown - how much is wholegrain flour and how much is colouring, I don't know - however there is quite often a lentil dish and sometimes sweet potato available in the HC .

I can't tell you about the MDR as I never eat there, I find it much easier to get meals in the HC that are mostly veg and fruit with a small amount of protein (rather than the more usual reverse) but finding whole grains of any nature or non-white (relatively unprocessed) starch on a ship seems to be very, very difficult.

So I just suck it up and live with white starch for the duration - usually not too much of a problem but I don't like it on the longer cruises that I am fortunate enough to be able to take.

Edited by jollyjones

You may have better luck finding basmati rice (by request) as they provide a lot of Indian dishes at the buffet. Better for you as it is not as starchy.

Haven't seen brown rice in the 13 years I'm cruising with Princess.

There are many high glycemic and starchy side dishes offered in both dining venues but you would find it easier to find options in the Horizon Court than in the main dining rooms. As a low-carb dieter for quite a while and with several cruises under my belt (pun intended) the Horizon Court has many choices in vegetables both steamed, baked, and raw. Just add your choice of protein.

Unfortunately, no brown rice has ever been seen. However, if this is a staple of your diet that you cannot dine without, bring your own, in zip-lock bags and keep them refrigerated in your cabin's frig. You can always bring them with you and simply add the sauces/meat as you may desire when you are dining.

I know I have read here on CC from many people that they don't eat in the Horizon Court for a variety of reasons but I find I have better control and better choices than in the main dining rooms. The flexibility is a wonderful option.