Jewel Drydock in SF - Let the Games Begin!

CarlsDad

KCFoxy...thanks for the information. I am so glad to hear that they didn't take out "Spinnikers" Lounge. They really messed up the Star and the Dawn. Its also good to have some of the Star Bar left. Perhaps now that Moderno has a larger location their Salad bar will be more extensive.

Thanks, I hope so too! Another plus? Pax will no longer be using Moderno as a traffic lane between AFT and MIDSHIP on deck 8...that wasn't very condusive to a fine dining ambience...not so much an issue in the more casual Blue Lagoon :p

KCFoxy – Thank you for the information. I’m very happy the Star Bar is not going to be axed. I love the venue on the NCL ships. It’s nice to hear all aspects of her carpeting are getting spruced up.

The late night O’Sheehans menu is drastically different than the Blue Lagoon menu. It is more restrictive and doesn’t really offer good late night foods. Chicken pot pie at 3AM? I was scratching my head at this one on Breakaway’s trans-Atlantic cruise. What someone needs at that hour is fried foods – chicken tenders appears on the Blue Lagoon late night menu but is missing from the O’Sheehan’s menu. The décor of O’Sheehans is nice with the hard woods and the bar setup and would make a nice center addition to the atrium but I’m not keen on the menu! Maybe I should start a late night food menu campaign? LOL!!

Thanks, I hope so too! Another plus? Pax will no longer be using Moderno as a traffic lane between AFT and MIDSHIP on deck 8...that wasn't very condusive to a fine dining ambience...not so much an issue in the more casual Blue Lagoon :p

I agree. I hate Moderno on deck 8. Zero atmosphere. Of course NCL obviously realized that as well. :D

What I would like to see is the new MDR menus rolled out...

I agree. I hate Moderno on deck 8. Zero atmosphere. Of course NCL obviously realized that as well. :D

What I would like to see is the new MDR menus rolled out...

It was always special when they had a popular band belting out tunes in the lobby and the overflow crowd standing behind your table. Wise move NCL, wise move

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Bridge cam shows equipment and containers have been removed from the bow. Wonder if she's back in the water? I'm assuming she would need to be on her way to Seattle by early am Friday?

If they've done any bottom painting, they will try to hold off refloating as long as possible to allow proper cure. Lets say they will leave the shipyard late Thursday, they would probably flood the dock Thursday morning, to allow for the watertight inspection of all the things they opened during drydock. It almost always happens that something wasn't tightened properly, and there is water spraying around the engine room while the ship is still sitting on the blocks, but with a couple of meters of water around her. Pump it back up and fix it.

If they've done any bottom painting, they will try to hold off refloating as long as possible to allow proper cure. Lets say they will leave the shipyard late Thursday, they would probably flood the dock Thursday morning, to allow for the watertight inspection of all the things they opened during drydock. It almost always happens that something wasn't tightened properly, and there is water spraying around the engine room while the ship is still sitting on the blocks, but with a couple of meters of water around her. Pump it back up and fix it.
Interesting.... wondering if they usually also try to do entire hull & hull artwork re-painting? I would think they'd need to at least repaint the bow blue flooring where all that "stuff" was stored & moved around - probably looks shabby after they cleared it.

I was wondering why the Jewel had been sitting in the same port for so many days now. I didn't know it was going through dry dock. We will be on her in September, the last Alaskan cruise for the season. I'm looking forward to it. It will be our first Alaskan cruise and our first on NCL.

Ding-dong! Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen and welcome to another spectacular day in San Francisco beside the beautiful Norwegian Jewel!

a.jpg

Today we find the ship in what is likely her last day of dry dock, based on her upcoming appointment in Seattle. Activity continues aboard the ship, but it is apparent the heavy work is rapidly nearing completion. It appears they didn't get to all of her exterior cosmetic woes, as there are many rust spots and whatnot still visible on the ship. As an example, look below the Spinnaker windows, sort of mid way...

b.jpg

But the heavy work on the aft is wrapped up. I only spotted a couple workers in this area, who were de-mobilizing their tools and equipment. Monday when I was nearby, you could see small plumes from the stacks, so they have been running things for a little bit now.

c.jpg

A closer look reveals some new or refurbished azipods with some of the old parts still lying around. You'll also note that all those materials and equipment are on a separate barge, not the dry dock itself. The tarp may be concealing/protecting what work remains in that particular area.

e.jpg

Finally, work continues on the aft cabins and suites. You can see mattresses and other stuff out there on the balconies. There does appear to be an alarming amount of weird crap coming down from deck 11 there. It's not quite clear what that could be...

f.jpg

It was certainly neat to see my favorite ship in dry dock right here in my home town. I suspect that when I next cross the Bay Bridge and look to the south, the Jewel will be gone. You guys up in Alaska enjoy the ship for the upcoming season. Color me jealous, that's for sure. Safe sailings, fair winds, and following seas...Farewell for now, Norwegian Jewel.

Edited by triptolemus

Actually, at least the ones I saw on the Hawaiian ships, the bow art work is a large decal.

They run one of the ship's generators the entire time in drydock, as the shipyard cannot supply enough power. There are special cooling water connections that allow the shipyard to supply what would normally be the sea water cooling to the engines and to pipe it away so that it doesn't interfere with the hull painting.

Small rust streaks as noted (looks to be on the window cleaning rail supports, will generally be done by ship's crew during operation. The shipyard painters are working on the thousands of square meters of hull and bottom paint. Not all of the hull white would be done, just what's needed. The bow deck would have been protected with plywood before the stuff was put down.

A drydock like this one, where there isn't a great deal of changes, and since it only took about 10 days, so even with azipod repairs its not a real complex engineering yard, probably runs around $10-15 million.

Edited by chengkp75

Actually, at least the ones I saw on the Hawaiian ships, the bow art work is a large decal.

They run one of the ship's generators the entire time in drydock, as the shipyard cannot supply enough power. There are special cooling water connections that allow the shipyard to supply what would normally be the sea water cooling to the engines and to pipe it away so that it doesn't interfere with the hull painting.

Small rust streaks as noted (looks to be on the window cleaning rail supports, will generally be done by ship's crew during operation. The shipyard painters are working on the thousands of square meters of hull and bottom paint. Not all of the hull white would be done, just what's needed. The bow deck would have been protected with plywood before the stuff was put down.

A drydock like this one, where there isn't a great deal of changes, and since it only took about 10 days, so even with azipod repairs its not a real complex engineering yard, probably runs around $10-15 million.

One ship had decals the Sky that were applied in SF when it dry docked prior to going to HI. They only lasted a few months. All the hull art today is painted.

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

triptolemus - Thank you for posting the pictures. The Norwegian Jewel is the ship I've spent the most time at sea on. She did her dry dock her in Boston the last time for azipod issues. It seems like this time her dry dock is going much more smoothly. :) When she was in Boston I was able to snap some pictures of her dry dock but it's not floating so I didn't have any of her azipods. :( Nice work and thanks for sharing! :D

For those of us interested in the Jewel's dry dock we certainly have been spoiled by those gracious enough to keep us informed from their first hand accounts :D:D

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for all of us. It is greatly appreciated! :D:D

I've never sailed on her, but one can certainly tell Jewel is a much loved ship!

Thanks for all the info on her dry dock process.

Here's to many more safe sailings for her.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Cruise More Often...We certainly had a great time on the Jewel out of Vancouver. I can't wait to see the changes in October out of Houston

Wish I were sailing on her with you!! We had a great time out of Vancouver and I loved the Jewel!!