Aft or Side Balcony for Alaska

Noreen411

Hi

We're thinking of doing our first cruise to Alaska

I've been in Aft cabins before and also side cabins - both have their benefits.

For Alaska is one better than the other?

Thank you

Noreen

Edited by Noreen411

When we did Alaska we had a side balcony, and it was fine. In Glacier Bay, the ship turns slowly all around so everyone gets to see.

But, since then, we've booked aft-facing balconies for nearly every cruise, regardless of itinerary and I personally would now prefer that, particularly for such a scenic sail.

Also, the aft is less breezy, so wouldn't be as potentially chilly while underway. (We went in May, so the weather was, I assume, considerably cooler overall than, say, July.)

Edited by srlafleur

is this a RT ? or one-way? NB? SB?

Personally I'd go with an inside cabin and spend that money on activities. I don't spend much time in the cabin except to sleep and change. There are excellent viewing spots on the ship which will provide 360 degree views.

We booked an aft balcony for our Alaska cruise because it will offer protection from the wind when we are underway, and it is much bigger, so there will be plenty of room for the kids to be out with us, as they have a partially obstructed window cabin.

is this a RT ? or one-way? NB? SB?

Personally I'd go with an inside cabin and spend that money on activities. I don't spend much time in the cabin except to sleep and change. There are excellent viewing spots on the ship which will provide 360 degree views.

We are looking at a Southbound cruise after a pre-cruise cruisetour.

My husband has never been on a cruise before. Quantum in February will be his first. The only thing he asked is that we have a balcony since he's afraid he'll get claustrophobic. I think he'll enjoy being able to sit on the balcony and see the sights - not always, we'll be out and about too.

Thank you

We booked an aft balcony for our Alaska cruise because it will offer protection from the wind when we are underway, and it is much bigger, so there will be plenty of room for the kids to be out with us, as they have a partially obstructed window cabin.

Hi

I didn't even think about the wind protection, but that's a good point.

I like the idea of the bigger balcony. I was looking for a corner aft - maybe 1100 but it's booked already.

Thank you

I've done both and prefer the aft balcony. It's bigger and you see everything without the constrictions of a "side" view. I know you can go out on deck but I prefer sitting on the balcony with a drink and some snacks and enjoying my private view with family or whatever friends I make onboard. I would be totally freaked out with no window, or even a window that doesn't open. :eek: It's different for everyone.

Sue

Hi

I didn't even think about the wind protection, but that's a good point.

I like the idea of the bigger balcony. I was looking for a corner aft - maybe 1100 but it's booked already.

Thank you

We had 1100 on the Radiance when we went to Mexico, it was wonderful.

• 1 month later...

We have been to Alaska several times. We have figured out that it is worth the money to have a balcony. It is like being on an excursion 24/7. We saw so many more whales, etc. when we had the balcony. On one of our trips with an inside cabin, we saw virtually no wildlife.

And yes, cabin 1100 is amazing and always booked months in advance!

We are looking at a Southbound cruise after a pre-cruise cruisetour.

My husband has never been on a cruise before. Quantum in February will be his first. The only thing he asked is that we have a balcony since he's afraid he'll get claustrophobic. I think he'll enjoy being able to sit on the balcony and see the sights - not always, we'll be out and about too.

Thank you

In that case, book a port side balcony. Are you considering Radiance? I did the SB cruise last year and had a port side balcony. I'll never forget the views of Mt Saint Elias out our balcony. When it comes time to dress for dinner, it's still light outside. Having those views for the moments you're actually in the room are priceless.

We just returned from our Alaskan cruise (late May/early June). We had a high deck aft balcony. We saw whales along the wake! Also, I was surprised at the temperature--warmer than expected. We loved the sound of the water and were able to leave our balcony door open every night. Bliss.

Highly recommend aft. It was quiet, not windy at all (unless you stuck your head out over your bannister), and beautiful for landscapes (both docked and sailing).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have done Alaska with RCI 3 times twice in midship location and just returned from a corner aft #8168...amazing wake views and great weather on our May 30th northbound..and was able to use the balcony a lot..and I too am a fan of the #1100 but it was booked (of course) felt lucky to even get #8168 :D

I'm so excited - we got an upsell from an obstructed view to an aft balcony this week!!! Sailing 7/5

i had heard good things about the aft- wind shelter was one of the biggies. I have insomnia and expect I"ll be out there late at night. I figured I'd be camping out in the crow's nest without a balcony