Difference in Price - Tuesday deal v UK price

Bluebury

It is a minefield when booking any holiday, cruise or otherwise :(. With the Internet, it is easy to book your own, but as you say, you lose some of the protection afforded if booking through an agent. It all comes down to cost, convenience etc, and whether ultimately you can 'afford' to lose the money if it all goes wrong. The Iceland issue proved a eye opener and a reminder of the potential pitfalls,even if you pay the flight company directly!.

Doing some further research on the US site, I note that they do not accept bookings for Princess (which I believe has already been mentioned) from non US or Canadian residents. My wishlist includes future cruises on both X and Princess, unfortunately too close together to book both :( and so am waiting for the release of the P prices to decide which one to do. Like a previous post, I am anticipating the GBP price to be numerically very similar to the $ price ie £1699 where the US price is $1699. It seems that the Australians and British get bum deals compared to the USA.

Be careful with booking Princess in the UK; I think you'll find they don't offer price drops at all!

To reiterate my point above, if you book the 'cruise only' option with a UK TA, then you are no better protected than if you booked directly with a US TA ;).

We have booked often with US TA's, and never had a problem. Another thing to bear in mind, as well as some points others have made, is that your deposit is totally (yes, totally) refundable if you cancel anytime up to final payment date! Some agents will try to levy a $25 or $50 fee on cancellation, which is not too bad if you cannot convince them to waive it.

So if you book the cruise only option with a UK TA, you are not covered? However, if you book onboard with X or even through a US TA (where X takes the money out from your CC directly), you are covered through your CC provider? Is that what you're saying?

If you book cruise only with a UK TA or cruise company in the UK you are covered by the "Package Holidays and Package Tour Regulations 1992"

All cruises 1 night or longer are classed as package holidays it is the type of bonding required that changes, an overnight ferry is not classed as a cruise

Here's a link to some useful information http://www.cruisexperts.co.uk/page.php?page=ST_CRUISE_BONDING

In theory your CC should cover you under section 75 if X charges your CC directly but not if you pay the US TA and he/she pays X

Good insurance is always a good idea

So if you book the cruise only option with a UK TA, you are not covered? However, if you book onboard with X or even through a US TA (where X takes the money out from your CC directly), you are covered through your CC provider? Is that what you're saying?

I would be VERY wary of making this assumption. When you book on board, they assign your booking to the agent that booked your current cruise unless you tell them otherwise. If you tell them you just want to make the reservation with Celebrity (no TA), they may assign it to Celebrity UK....and in that case, you would have the same terms and conditions as if you had purchased it in the UK...that is, a cancellation penalty.

The only way around this, IMHO, is to know what US TA you want to use, in advance and when booking on board, give them that TA name for the booking. That should work.

I can't address whose laws apply under what conditions....I think some UK cruisers have already posted stuff I don't even start to understand....but you should understand whatever they are saying before you book any cruise.

Be careful with booking Princess in the UK; I think you'll find they don't offer price drops at all!

To reiterate my point above, if you book the 'cruise only' option with a UK TA, then you are no better protected than if you booked directly with a US TA ;).

Princess DOES offer price drops in the UK, we've taken advantage of them for our last and now upcoming cruise.

I would be VERY wary of making this assumption. When you book on board, they assign your booking to the agent that booked your current cruise unless you tell them otherwise. If you tell them you just want to make the reservation with Celebrity (no TA), they may assign it to Celebrity UK....and in that case, you would have the same terms and conditions as if you had purchased it in the UK...that is, a cancellation penalty.

The only way around this, IMHO, is to know what US TA you want to use, in advance and when booking on board, give them that TA name for the booking. That should work.

I can't address whose laws apply under what conditions....I think some UK cruisers have already posted stuff I don't even start to understand....but you should understand whatever they are saying before you book any cruise.

I know exactly what happens as I have completed the transaction several times onboard ;). You know who you have booked with and in what currency as you have the paperwork issued to you onboard. As I stated in a previous post to the OP, it is to their advantage to take all the details of their new US TA with them onboard when they wish to book ;).

Princess DOES offer price drops in the UK, we've taken advantage of them for our last and now upcoming cruise.

Perhaps it depends on the TA you use and the OP should check that before they book. I know we were told by our UK TA that Princess didn't honour them when we asked her - so worth double checking that their particular TA does.

Thanks to everyone for the useful information on the pros and cons of booking with a US TA. The protections you get when booking in the UK (which I think we take very much for granted) will be very significant for some cruisers, whereas others will be prepared to take a small risk to obtain the lowest possible price. The US prices do seem considerably lower, but my understanding is that the US TAs show prices before tax, but prices quoted in the UK have to include all fees and taxes, so the difference is not as great as it seems at first sight.

We have always played safe and booked in the UK, as we like the peace of mind it gives us and we don't have to worry about fluctuating exchange rates (we generally book about eighteen months in advance), but friends who regularly book with a US TA are very happy with the prices and the additional perks they are able to get (they tend to go for last-minute deals). I don't think there is any right or wrong decision on this, it is just a case of making the decision that is right for you.

Thanks to everyone for the useful information on the pros and cons of booking with a US TA. The protections you get when booking in the UK (which I think we take very much for granted) will be very significant for some cruisers, whereas others will be prepared to take a small risk to obtain the lowest possible price. The US prices do seem considerably lower, but my understanding is that the US TAs show prices before tax, but prices quoted in the UK have to include all fees and taxes, so the difference is not as great as it seems at first sight.

We have always played safe and booked in the UK, as we like the peace of mind it gives us and we don't have to worry about fluctuating exchange rates (we generally book about eighteen months in advance), but friends who regularly book with a US TA are very happy with the prices and the additional perks they are able to get (they tend to go for last-minute deals). I don't think there is any right or wrong decision on this, it is just a case of making the decision that is right for you.

I have been looking at a B2B on Millie and there is so little in it - perhaps just $200 for 2 of us on 2 cruises over 33 days - that if we book we will in, this instance book in the UK as the savings are not worth the sacrifice of peace of mind and the "insurance" of ATOL etc. On the other hand, looking at a 14 day Caribbean, we can save nearly $1500 - which we feel is a big enough saving and will probably go for it. Shop around and as you say, make a decision you're comfortable with.

I know exactly what happens as I have completed the transaction several times onboard ;). You know who you have booked with and in what currency as you have the paperwork issued to you onboard. As I stated in a previous post to the OP, it is to their advantage to take all the details of their new US TA with them onboard when they wish to book ;).

Since you have experience doing this....I know that if you say nothing, your new cruise will be assigned to the travel agent who booked your current cruise. That's clear. The question is, if you say that you want to book directly with celebrity, is it assigned to Celebrity US where you can transfer the booking to a US travel agency, or is it assigned to Celebrity UK where you can't move it to a US TA?

Of course, if you know the US TA you want to use before you book, it's easy....I was only suggesting that if you don't have a US TA when you book and you live in the UK, you may not have the option later to move the booking to a US TA......supporting both our recommendations that you need to know your US TA before you book on board.

With the recent movements in the £/$ rate it makes good sense to consider paying in $, particularly for sailing in the next few months.

We have just booked (cruise only) with a US agent and saved nearly £300 and got $200 OBC (vs $0 in the UK). It was not difficult and I had 5 offers to choose from agencies who were willing to the 'compete' for 'cruise' booking.

For a GTY room we paid in full, direct to the cruise line as we sail in 55 days, with a credit card so Section 75 protection still applies. I can't see what protection I am missing.

Another thing, no extra charges for paying with a credit card that are so common in the UK.

Not every cruise will be cheaper, but I will always look at the options.

When the exchange rate moves, maybe you should also?

Edited by helpthejuggler

If you book cruise only with a UK TA or cruise company in the UK you are covered by the "Package Holidays and Package Tour Regulations 1992"

All cruises 1 night or longer are classed as package holidays it is the type of bonding required that changes, an overnight ferry is not classed as a cruise

Here's a link to some useful information http://www.cruisexperts.co.uk/page.php?page=ST_CRUISE_BONDING

In theory your CC should cover you under section 75 if X charges your CC directly but not if you pay the US TA and he/she pays X

Good insurance is always a good idea

There's the answer - you won't be covered by your CC but you will by consumer protection.

A lot of people know that you can get purchase protection from CCs but not many know that there are exclusions that you wouldn't expect - such as when you book your flight through a price comparison site rather than direct with the airline.

This site provides quite a clear explanation of what is and isn't covered:

http://www.choose.net/money/guide/features/section-75-credit-card-protection-claim.html

There's the answer - you won't be covered by your CC but you will by consumer protection.

A lot of people know that you can get purchase protection from CCs but not many know that there are exclusions that you wouldn't expect - such as when you book your flight through a price comparison site rather than direct with the airline.

This site provides quite a clear explanation of what is and isn't covered:

http://www.choose.net/money/guide/features/section-75-credit-card-protection-claim.html

Thanks for posting the link, very interesting ;).

So if you book onboard, where payment is directly with X and you are abroad at that time, then you are covered under section 75 because the initial transaction (providing it's over £100) is direct with the service provider. Additionally, if you book flights directly with an airline, you are also covered because they are providing the service. Using a TA or comparison site to book flights, as I understand from the link, actually breaks the chain resulting in you not being covered under section 75.

Yup - that's how I understand it.

Also - if you book using a US TA and the cruise company makes the charge to your card (as X do) rather than the TA, then you are covered.

It was a bit of a shock to me when I found out what wasn't covered.

we booked an 8 night Norwegian fjords cruise this year for the first time ever with an American TA. Final price including taxes was £500 less thann UK so I was happy to proceed. I had a free phone number to call them on and any e-mails have been answered really promptly. so far I am very impressed but have yet to see how things work out when it comes to the actual cruise.

We've been on a number of cruises with RCI and CC what has always concerned me is the uncertainty of currency rates. what will the currency rate of conversion at final payment? I guess if the saving is substantial enough this would most likely be overcome.

Yup - that's how I understand it.

Also - if you book using a US TA and the cruise company makes the charge to your card (as X do) rather than the TA, then you are covered.

It was a bit of a shock to me when I found out what wasn't covered.

As you say, X do charge directly to your card so you are covered and the same goes for our flights because we book those independently. I presume that's why UK TAs have to be ABTA registered: to protect the consumer as they are the 'middle man' and you wouldn't be covered by section 75 unless it was a package.

we booked an 8 night Norwegian fjords cruise this year for the first time ever with an American TA. Final price including taxes was £500 less thann UK so I was happy to proceed. I had a free phone number to call them on and any e-mails have been answered really promptly. so far I am very impressed but have yet to see how things work out when it comes to the actual cruise.

All of our information has been straight on 'my cruises' on the cruiseline's website. Only hassle may be the luggage tags as you can't usually order them online - not a problem, though - just print off your own from your cruise docs or ask at the port ;).

We find there are a few advantages to booking in the US. As well as the perks from the TAs and the price drops, guarantee cabins can also be moved if there are other available cabins in the class (UK - you have to have what you're given). Additionally, you can upgrade or move your cabins (no charge) so much easier than if you book over here :). That's without even considering the refundable deposits.

We've been on a number of cruises with RCI and CC what has always concerned me is the uncertainty of currency rates. what will the currency rate of conversion at final payment? I guess if the saving is substantial enough this would most likely be overcome.

And that's why you have to check the best offers and deals available at that time. Like I said, you also have to consider all the other elements that may influence your decision.

We booked guarantees for our last Indy cruise so I knew I'd be better off reserving through the States: movable if I didn't like the assignment. Sure enough, within a couple of days of booking, we were issued with 2 D1s starboard far forward. I was able to move them to 2 interconnecting balconies, just off the hump - perfect for our family ;). Couldn't have done that over here. Paid $500 (less our diamond balcony discount + taxes). While swimming in the ocean in Labadee, got talking to an British lady that said she'd paid over £4000 for two E2 cabins - now I'd call that a big enough saving, even with a poor currency conversion rate :D.

We have got around this by opening a dollar bank account with a UK bank. We have just transferred some money into there ( as the exchange rate is good at the moment) and are then free to book in the US for next year without worrying about fluctuations in rates. If you keep a certain amount in the account then the account is free so the only 'loss' is the interest that money would have earned had it been in a savings account, which at the moment is negligible.

We have got around this by opening a dollar bank account with a UK bank. We have just transferred some money into there ( as the exchange rate is good at the moment) and are then free to book in the US for next year without worrying about fluctuations in rates. If you keep a certain amount in the account then the account is free so the only 'loss' is the interest that money would have earned had it been in a savings account, which at the moment is negligible.

Is it possible to withdraw $ cash from this account? and how did you get the $ into the account? - using the said bank or going to an FX broker? Sorry for questions but this could be very useful indeed

It is just like a normal current account with a debit card that you can use to withdraw cash. If you google 'dollar bank account UK' we went with the first bank on the list. You have to keep £2000 minimum in there to avoid fees. If we proceed with the booking (just waiting to hear back from our US TA) we are thinking of topping the account up and using it to pay our onboard bill - might as well secure the exchange rate now while it is in our favour!