Aqua shoes needed?

Mk3cl

This is our first time cruising, and we will be snorkeling at Great Stirrup Cay. I was just wondering if we need to get aqua shoes. Will we be able to fit aqua shoes in the flippers while snorkeling? Or are we expected to be bare foot?

Is there benefit to be wearing aqua shoes?

This is our first time cruising, and we will be snorkeling at Great Stirrup Cay. I was just wondering if we need to get aqua shoes. Will we be able to fit aqua shoes in the flippers while snorkeling? Or are we expected to be bare foot?

Is there benefit to be wearing aqua shoes?

You may be confusing the purpose of water shoes (or aqua shoes as you refer to them). Good ones (like Teva) have breathable reinforced mesh uppers and non-skid rugged bottoms for traversing irregular underwater (or through water) surfaces that may harbor all sorts of surprises. Wearing them inside flippers would be a bit counterproductive since you wouldn't walk very far in flippers.

Also, water shoes are much much better and safer th

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You may be confusing the purpose of water shoes (or aqua shoes as you refer to them). Good ones (like Teva) have breathable reinforced mesh uppers and non-skid rugged bottoms for traversing irregular underwater (or through water) surfaces that may harbor all sorts of surprises. Wearing them inside flippers would be a bit counterproductive since you wouldn't walk very far in flippers.

Also, water shoes are much much better and safer th

...safer than flip flops anywhere it's wet. Just don't buy cheapos!

I snorkeled without water shoes (that's what the flippers are for) and have been in the ocean without water shoes. However I do own a pair of water shoes that I have used for other occasions such as when we visitied Dunn's River Falls. Seeing as we don't use them often, the cheapo $5 Target pairs have worked just fine.

Edited by Krissica

My general rule is to pack water shoes for any beach I'm not familiar with. Photos of beautiful white sand don't always tell you what's in the water -- cutting your foot on sharp rocks or coral can ruin your whole vacation! :eek:

And ladies -- water shoes don't have to be ugly -- I found some really cute ones (on sale) at Land's End! :cool:

The beach at Great Stirrup Cay is great - fine sand, no rocks or coral, so you do not need water shoes to swim - and you definitely do not want to wear fins over them.

Labadee is the kind of beach where you would want water shoes - little rocks and bits of coral all over, making getting into the water a real challenge

I got basic ones for $14.99 at Sports Authority. They were recommended for Bahamas beaches, because the ocean floor is really rocky and uneven. I'm pretty sure water shoes wouldn't fit inside flippers. Flippers are meant to be worn on a bare foot, and it'll be really awkward to move around when you're pretty much wearing two pairs of shoes, one on top of another.

Snorkeling off a beach with soft sand, you won't see much. It's the rocky beaches that you will see more life. Getting into the water is difficult if it's rocky and you don't have shoes. You'd have to walk in pretty far until you can start floating/swimming.

I wished I had a pair at Trunk Bay. Where you get in the water is pretty soft. But you have to swim out a few meters until you get to the rocks jutting out of the water to see the life. But walking towards the right of the beach got really rocky. That was where you could to some really good shell hunting too.

Great Stirrup Cay is a private island where the beach will be very very nice. We wear ours from the ship to our beach chairs, and most time leave them on so our tootsies wont burn:D

We have the low cost ones, $12-15 at Target or Walmart.

Funny how we all see/call shoes differently.

I see your "water shoes" as terrain shoes, that can get wet.

I call these water shoes, for what you would wear in the ocean to not step on the coral, rocks etc...

http://www.amazon.com/Starbay-Brand-Womens-Athletic-Streak/dp/B00CRFA6H8/ref=sr_1_6?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1400255020&sr=1-6&keywords=aqua+shoes

Yes, the flipper socks are definitely only for flippers/diving/snorkeling.

Back to the question, as we can see, it depends on what you are going to be doing. I personally never bring athletic/gym/tennis shoes for a beach cruise. Even if I am doing excursions. Just use sandals. Now for a European cruise etc... that has lots of walking and buildings to visit etc.... I will pack a pair of shoes that look nice, not necessarily typical "athletic" looking shoes.

You wouldn't wear the water shoes/reef shoes/aqua shoes/whatever you want to call them inside your fins. You would want them for swimming in the ocean--particularly anyplace that broken pieces of coral, sea urchins, jellyfish, etc would be present. Stepping on any of that could quickly ruin your day or trip.

On past cruises, as well as outings here at home, when we knew we were going to be in or around water, such as at a beach, canoeing, or whatever, we either wore slip-ons like you'd find at most discount department stores, or sandals like those made by Keen or Teva. But, a couple of years ago, we decide we wanted something more like a tennis shoe that would protect our feet from rocks and shells when in the water, drain quickly after getting wet, and be comfortable enough to wear all day if we chose to do so. So, after looking at just about every brand that you could think of and reading customer reviews, we chose the Columbia Rainmakers. They were exactly what we were looking for. We threw away our cheap-o slip-ons, and haven't used our sandals since we bought the Rainmakers. Obviously, they're not made to wear with swim fins, but they're great to wear in the water when you're not snorkeling.;)

Edited by beachbum53

On past cruises, as well as outings here at home, when we knew we were going to be in or around water, such as at a beach, canoeing, or whatever, we either wore slip-ons like you'd find at most discount department stores, or sandals like those made by Keen or Teva. But, a couple of years ago, we decide we wanted something more like a tennis shoe that would protect our feet from rocks and shells when in the water, drain quickly after getting wet, and be comfortable enough to wear all day if we chose to do so. So, after looking at just about every brand that you could think of and reading customer reviews, we chose the Columbia Rainmakers. They were exactly what we were looking for. We threw away our cheap-o slip-ons, and haven't used our sandals since we bought the Rainmakers. Obviously, they're not made to wear with swim fins, but they're great to wear in the water when you're not snorkeling.;)

I have Merrills that are similar. They work both as a water shoe and a walking shoe.

It depends on the fins. I did a lot of scuba diving when I lived in Micronesia and I wore booties inside my fins; the fins were designed to be worn with booties. The booties went above my ankles and could also be used as water shoes.

It depends on the fins. I did a lot of scuba diving when I lived in Micronesia and I wore booties inside my fins; the fins were designed to be worn with booties. The booties went above my ankles and could also be used as water shoes.

Did they have a rigid sole? On our recent cruise we were cautioned that water shoes needed to have a rigid sole to protect from sharp coral bits and sea urchins, and there were several shore excursions where people wouldn't be allowed in the water if they weren't wearing them.

I guess it depends on where you walk at Great Stirrup Cay… We were there last week and I was VERY glad I had my aqua shoes. The beach right in front of the slide and food stands (I think it is "Baccardi Beach") is very smooth and sandy and that seems to be where most of the snorklers were.

BUT if you move off to the beaches on the left (where some of the pavilions and cabanas are located) the level of sand is thinner and it can be rocky. We had rented a 'clamshell' on Cabana beach because it was quieter with less children. The walk to the beach and into the water from the clamshells was over hard limestone with very little sand and the initial steps into the water were rocky. Very helpful to have water shoes!