Questions

las313

We will be sailing in June and I am wondering the best way to bring wine for our room on board. What is the best way to pack it? Can we check a box with our luggage?

Also food question - newly diagnosed gluten free. What is the gluten free diet like on regatta? Will there be things I can eat?:o

We will be sailing in June and I am wondering the best way to bring wine for our room on board. What is the best way to pack it? Can we check a box with our luggage?

Also food question - newly diagnosed gluten free. What is the gluten free diet like on regatta? Will there be things I can eat?:o

If you belong to any wineries' "clubs," you could just reuse the fitted "egg crate" packing liners used for shipping. If not, go to a decent wine shop and purchase styrofoam sleeves. However, both options will take up significant room in your checked baggage and certainly subject them to a search by the TSA (so you better have TSA locks). And watch the weight. OR, check your airline's policies regarding extra bag or box charges/dimensions/etc.

That said, and unless you're talking about bringing hard-to-find reserve wines, find a wine seller near your pre-cruise hotel and buy some before you embark OR arrange with hotel concierge to receive a shipment you have an online seller send beforehand.

If you happen to be sailing out of any California port, note that Safeway has decent pricing with added discount for mix/match six pack carton.

If you want to buy online, check out Empire Wines For really good pricing (on shipping too).

Sorry - but can't help you with the gluten free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the help. We will be driving so no need for airlines.

Can I just pack a box of wine and put a room tag on it? Will it safely make it to the room? I have done this with water on previous cruises.

I haven't brought on more than one bottle or so at a time and it always fit easily in my luggage. This time we're leaving from NYC, where we live, so I'll be bringing more on, probably as separate luggage.

You should be safe delivering it to the crew to bring to your cabin. I've read many comments here at CC where people have done so with no problems.

Likewise with gluten-free meals, yes, you will be able to eat! But you need to notify the ship in advance. As I understand it (not being gluten intolerant myself), they will give you menus a day or so in advance so that you can order what you want. They do this for any number of dietary problems.

Mura

Get your TA to contact special services TODAY & put a note on your file

It may be too late to order special items but they will do their best

You will get menus delivered to your cabin a day before to select the items you want

If going to the buffet ask to speak to the Chef so he can point out items that are safe for you to eat

Do not leave it to chance

If you are driving you may want to pack some of your favourite GF biscuits just in case

Edited by LHT28

Can I just pack a box of wine and put a room tag on it? Will it safely make it to the room? I have done this with water on previous cruises.

this before in Miami...and the box was tagged and clearly marked fragile/wine etc....5 of the 6 bottles made it ok...but 1 did break. I guess because of the breakage the box ended up at the Reception Desk...where I found it after discovering it had not been delivered to our cabin with the rest of the luggage. I had brought the wine in a wine store and it was in a box with separate areas for each bottle...next time I will ask the wine store to package it with a bit more "cushion"!! Good luck!! LuAnn

Yes you can, that's what we did. We shipped the wine to the hotel we were staying at, tagged it and dropped it off with the luggage. It was in the cabin in no time. Besure you tape the tag's to the boxes of wine.

Rick

They are very accustomed to special dietary needs gluten & lactose free diets are common place. You can go online to guest services to make your request. I do it for my lactose free diet. Every a.m you choose from a menu which you bring to the reception. Housekeeping will call you when you board the ship to confirm your request.

For our trip to FP in January, I bought a 3 pack of something called a "wine diaper" on amazon (got the idea here on the cc boards) which turned out to be reusable long bags with bubble wrap lining inside. They were in a checked bag among our snorkeling gear and arrived without problem. We did not seem to have been TSA checked on this trip but in the wine diaper reviews, the one negative review said that TSA did not close the bag carefully and there was some spillage. Many others said they never even had a bottle break inside these bags. That was our experience and I used the bag returning for some jam and special oils that I got. I will be using them again on our next trip. If you cannot get a box that works, these kinds of bags are a good alternative. Ours made it through two long flights and interlining coming and going.

Edited by tvmovielover

For our trip to FP in January, I bought a 3 pack of something called a "wine diaper" on amazon (got the idea here on the cc boards) which turned out to be reusable long bags with bubble wrap lining inside. They were in a checked bag among our snorkeling gear and arrived without problem. We did not seem to have been TSA checked on this trip but in the wine diaper reviews, the one negative review said that TSA did not close the bag carefully and there was some spillage. Many others said they never even had a bottle break inside these bags. That was our experience and I used the bag returning for some jam and special oils that I got. I will be using them again on our next trip. If you cannot get a box that works, these kinds of bags are a good alternative. Ours made it through two long flights and interlining coming and going.

+1 for the Wine Diaper; also made by the same company is a similar product called the Jet Bag. Available individually and in sets of 3 on Amazon. We've used them for traveling w/smaller quantities of wine.

We brought a case of wine/port onboard Marina last year (purchased in departure port), mostly in a rolling backpack. I had bubble wrap packed in my suitcase so just wrapped up the bottles in the wine shop and loaded them into the backpack (9 bottles) and our suitcase (the rest). Do cushion your wine carefully as the porters in the cruise terminal are not O employees and may not be careful w/ your bags. Use extra tape on your baggage labels as they can come off in handling.