Ipad on celebrity

happy cruzer

If you have an ipad with no data plan, do you need to do anything special on board? My ipad only works in free wifis. I have no recurring charges.

I'm hoping I don't need to keep it in any special mode? I do have a few books already loaded.

Thanks for advice.

just in case someone reads this thread wondering if android tablets and phones will work on the celebrity ship wifi, the answer is yes...although sometimes you run into someone working in the computer center who claims they don't work which is just wrong.

Edited by ghstudio

You'll be able to read your books just fine. If you want to do email or Internet you need to buy Internet/wifi minutes from the ship.

Do you know how much the Internet/wifi minutes cost?

thanks

It does depend what your Captain's Club status is.

If you are Elite you get 90 free minutes.i

I believe Elite+ get 200 free.

Otherwise you need to buy a package, the basic is 0.70$ per minute.

However, the more minutes you buy, this cost reduces.

Thanks for the info, this will be my first time taking the ipad. I look forward to unplugging and just using it for a reader.

Then I can use it on shore at free hotspots if needed.

I also have never taken it through airport security. Any advice there?

Thanks for the info, this will be my first time taking the ipad. I look forward to unplugging and just using it for a reader.

The airports seem to be allowing tablets to stay in your carry on during inspection, but ask.

Depends on your airport!

I now take mine out of my hand luggage, along with my Kindle & phone and place it in the tray- together with my coat & shoes. Yes I've started taking my shoes off, as my knee replacement sets the alarm off, so I have to take them off anyway, when I am being frisked.

I prefer those airports that have the x-ray machines, where all I have to do is to raise my arms above my head.:eek:

iPads are not required to be removed from your bags at security.

If you are lucky enough to receive TSA-precheck, you do not need to remove jackets, shoes, liquid, etc....you just go through a metal detector. I have received precheck the last few times I have flown.

My husband and I have applied for permanent (good for 5 years) TSA-precheck. Worth the money to us.

You need to do nothing. I definitely do not use ship's data plan as it is expensive & reportedly very slow. In port you will usually be able to find free wifi for email etc. So far always found I could leave iPad in my carry on when passing thru security at airports.

Fantastic for catching up on reading but on our last cruise I did not find the time !!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app