Cruising in three weeks and grandson's father now refuses to sign permission slip!!

Wow really sorry for your trouble hope it works out. Keep us posted on your outcome. Don't give up easily

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not giving up yet and I WILL keep everyone posted. I'm hoping he will still come around. My daughter is going to try and get his phone number and I'm going to call him one evening next week. I don't think he likes me though. However, I'm going to have a couple of glasses of wine first because it mellows me and he won't be able to get me so riled up that I'll say something to him to make it even worse.

And I think I will offer him money to sign, regardless of my daughter's request I not offer him money.

Thanks everyone. I better get to work or I won't have a job or money for future cruises.

You need to call a lawyer.

"Forge the signature". Sure, do that. Let me know how you enjoy the lawsuit from the childs father when he finds out. That won't cause years of misery and cost, he sounds like a reasonable guy and would understand:rolleyes:

Call. A. Lawyer.

As previously suggested, just forge his signature on the consent form and be done with it.

There is no way I would consider cancelling the cruise.

This law-abiding woman actually contemplated doing that and committing my first crime :eek: but it has to be notarized. I even checked on getting a fake notary stamp but the stamp makers request your name, state and notary number and say they check first. Yikes!!

The only thing WORSE would for my grandson to see my taken away in handcuffs by Homeland Security at Port Everglades. It sure would make a funny memory for him 30 years down the road, but probably traumatic at the time.

Hello!!!!! You do have some leverage you know....just contact an attorney and have him post a letter to the AH telling him if he doesn't fax in the signed permission form ASAP, your daughter and the State Attorney General's office will start proceedings against him for unpaid child support payments...duh!

Jail time is a great persuader!:mad:

This law-abiding woman actually contemplated doing that and committing my first crime :eek: but it has to be notarized. I even checked on getting a fake notary stamp but the stamp makers request your name, state and notary number and say they check first. Yikes!!

The only thing WORSE would for my grandson to see my taken away in handcuffs by Homeland Security at Port Everglades. It sure would make a funny memory for him 30 years down the road, but probably traumatic at the time.

I would just do what you suggested. Get moms noterized permission and go. Really don't think there's a problem. On the outside chance they won't let you board, you just treat your grandchild to some Florida. A great time with him regardless!

When we took our niece and nephew on a cruise a couple years back, we knew that their dad wouldn't sign the papers so my sister wrote a letter saying that we had permission to take them out of the country on a cruise and than listed the countries we would be visiting. The most important part of the letter stated that we had permission to seek medical care if needed. Then she had it motorized. We had no problems gating them on board.

My suggestion is to look at Royals web site about minors traveling with yo carefully and if you still have I any questions, call them.

I think your own advice is the best answer in this case, sad for the gs

"so I stay OUT of that situation."

Take the cruise solo

Agreed - go solo. You deserve a vacation I'm sure. Don't give the father the power of punishing you and having control over you - control is probably the issue anyway. Does your state have a law that allows children at a certain age have the right to choose who they live with? Could social services help you and fast track to a judge?

Perhaps if you called the guy yourself you might succeed where your daughter did not, especially if she can be difficult and they have a "history."

It would be a huge mistake to try to forge someone's signature. If you can't get the father's signature, get an notarized, executed affidavit from your daughter stating that her son lives with her and she has been in sole custody of him for X years.

Obviously the "sperm donor" is a real jerk and I can only imagine how his 15 yr old son dispizes him, but maybe HE could ask him to sign the paper? Or maybe you don't want to subject him to more rejection and hurt? It is a very sad situation. That would be a trip of a lifetime and great memories for both of you.

Plan B...contact RCL. I am sure there has to be a way around this. Don't pass up this opportunity. You will be kicking yourself later. (Even if you have to do. Disney or Universal)

I agree that you should just get your daughter to sign the form and head to the port. Also, what if your DGS speaks to his Dad himself? I know you say they don't have the greatest relationship, but maybe if he goes to his Dad himself and tell him that he really wants to go, maybe Dad will feel guilty and sign.

Do not think the father has any rights regarding this. If there is no court order regarding custody, he isn't in the picture. Period. Child support has nothing to do with it. It's the custody paperwork that matters. If there is no custody agreement, he has NO say. You should be fine to go with the mother's ok.

Edited by jpurdy

I have taken my grand children on 2 cruises without parents. I had a notorized letter from their Mom giving me permission to take them. it stated the name of ship and sail date as well as I had permission for medical decisions. Never have they asked to see the letter. She is the only one who signed. She has sole custody so she doesn't need father's permission. Does your grandson have a passport? He would need one. I would try to go anyway. chances they won't ask

Just forge it. Nobody will know and it is the right thing to do. lawfully correct is not the same as morally correct.

I am sure there are plenty of notaries who would notarize it if you explained the situation. That, or just pay them. Anyone can be a notary, not only some elite class of morally perfect people.

Edited by ncurcio

I would have my daughter sign the form, have it notarized, and if anyone asks

tell them his father is dead. Considering his lack of involvement in the child's life, it's not much of a stretch to say that. Good luck! :)

I would just get the permission from the mother as many are advising, but do not tell the father about it. (assuming that is all that RC requires) Just let him think he has ruined everything. If he knows son is going anyway, he might try to start more trouble. What a peach.

We have been asked for the letter, in fact they were inspected very closely, but then we were taking seven grandchildren, which is a whole different scenario.

Forging the signature is not going to work because these documents have to be notarized. In your case, I doubt if you will have a problem, especially with a statement from your daughter stating the facts. Getting a lawyer involved in drafting this statement would probably be best.

I hope it all works out for you.

I wouldn't let him run the show! I would get a copy of your daughter's birth certificate listing your name and your grandson's birth certificate along with her notarized letter. This proves you are his legitimate grandmother. I would contact RCCL and state that the father has fallen off the face of the earth. Don't give up, I'm sure this has happened before. Please keep us posted. :)

Mom signing a notorized letter giving you permission to take him & as someone else mentioned, to make medical decisions in case if a medical emergency is enough. I wrote the letters for the parent(s), I listed the ship name and cruise dates. The parent's contact info was also listed. I put in a date buffer of the day before and the after, for travel time. It says parent (s) to say either one or both is ok, not because both have to. Otherwise, they would clearly state it, like NCL does. Royal is looking for permission for them to allow you to travel with the child. If his mom does the letter, they have it. I hope it works out for you both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I would just like to add something to put your mind at ease. My son has his dad's last name and I have since married, when I checked in last December. The RCCL Rep at check in didn't ask me any questions! I didn't have to provide court documentation or a notarized letter. At this point, your grandson sounds like he DESERVES this cruise and I wouldn't give his spiteful sperm donor any control of this situation. I wouldn't call or beg or bribe him. Just my opinion... Good luck and I will see you on this sailing!

I too would just have your daughter sign the form. In Feb I took my three children on a cruise, we now have different last names. I did get the form from their father and was not even asked for it. I had birth certificates, divorce decree, form form their dad, new marriage license, everything. I handed them to the lady she asked "what are all these?" I told her the forms needed for the kids she just handed them back and said I didn't need them. She didn't even look to see what I had. Like you said worse case you spend a few days in Orlando. We were in Port Canaveral if that helps.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!! I feel so much better than when I was tossing and turning at 3:00 this morning!!!!

IF the father doesn't come around within the next week, I am going to re-do the permission form for my daughter's signature AND do an Affidavit for her signature explaining everything, with the medical and waiver language.

I'm also going to call Royal but not give my reservation number. Does anyone know if I need to ask for a particular department?

You're all right, the worse that can happen is we'll be turned away and I'll have to spend some more money to make up for it.:)

Thanks again.

I've posted before in other forums about this having some personal experience:

If both parents are listed on the BC and neither are traveling by law you need both parents signatures giving permission - whether or not they ask for it. The signatures MUST be notorized. This is NOT a RCCL policy - it is a customs enforcement policy.

They may or may not request it, but by law they have the right to, and if they do and you don't have all the proper paperwork in order you can (and will) be denied boarding.

I've been in stituations where I've been asked for no paperwork all the way to being grilled by US customes & border protection and having phone calls made to the other parties. It can and will happen.

There are legal ways to be granted legal guardianship - proving abandonment is one way - unfortunately these things take time.

Don't take chances with your cruise vacation - it's best to either ensure that you can have all your paperwork in order before you cruise or not risk it.

I too would just have your daughter sign the form. In Feb I took my three children on a cruise, we now have different last names. I did get the form from their father and was not even asked for it. I had birth certificates, divorce decree, form form their dad, new marriage license, everything. I handed them to the lady she asked "what are all these?" I told her the forms needed for the kids she just handed them back and said I didn't need them. She didn't even look to see what I had. Like you said worse case you spend a few days in Orlando. We were in Port Canaveral if that helps.

Agreed. Bring the child's birth certificate, isn't the mother's name on that, as well? Have mother sign a detailed letter stating she is the mother, and she grants permission to make medical decisions, sign waivers, etc., and have it notarized. RCI says you only need ONE parent's permission.

We took a 17 year friend of our daughters's, had all the notarized paper work, had no problem whatsoever boarding Oasis in Ft. Lauderdale.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!! I feel so much better than when I was tossing and turning at 3:00 this morning!!!!

IF the father doesn't come around within the next week, I am going to re-do the permission form for my daughter's signature AND do an Affidavit for her signature explaining everything, with the medical and waiver language.

I'm also going to call Royal but not give my reservation number. Does anyone know if I need to ask for a particular department?

You're all right, the worse that can happen is we'll be turned away and I'll have to spend some more money to make up for it.:)

Thanks again.

Great to read! :)

I've taken my daughter on over a dozen cruises and have never been asked for documentation from her father but one time. When I said I had no letter she shrugged and said, oh ok. That was it. I think this whole letter thing gets blown out of proportion.

I let all the hoopla on here scare me on my last cruise as I hadn't sailed RCI in a while and I got a letter from her father (he laughed as was like after all these cruises all the sudden you want a letter?). Anyway, I forgot I even had the letter and nothing was mentioned about it on check in. I've previously taken her friends and my own 5 yr old granddaughter with no problems. Again, I think this whole letter thing gets blown into some huge ordeal on these boards. I'd take him and not even think twice about it.

I hope everything works out for you and you have a great cruise! :)

Edited by rrraydon