Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey

Hi

We are sailing on the celebrity reflectin in August this year. We are looking a shore excursions & the 'Tastes of Turkey' tour caught our eye.

This tour introduces you to the rural life in Aegean region. You'll visit Sirince, a beautiful Aegean village of 600 situated in the Turkish hillside. Here you will see the vast orchards and try some of the local specialties including different fruit wines. The highlight of the day will be when you are taken to the "cherry village" and are welcomed into the home of the local villagers' courtyards and served their favorite Turkish and household dishes. Stop at the Turkish weaving arts, carpet and handicraft village where a carpet presentation will take place. Finally, you will visit Ephesus Theme Park for a refreshment stop and exclusive interactive show.

Has anybody done this tour or anything similar? Would recommend it or

not?

Thank You :)

If this is your first visit to Kusadasi, I would strongly recommend you take a tour to Ephesus, some of the MOST impressive Roman ruins you will find anywhere in the (accessible) Mediterranean.

I must say, the write-up sounds good but Sirince isn't the unspoiled village you may be imagining. It's very touristy. Not that it wouldn't be enjoyable, but it's certainly not pristine....

Most of us don't share the same depth of interest in dusty old archaeological sites as Cruisemom, but Ephesus (not the theme park) is one of the top archaeological sites & the whole reason cruise ships are attracted to Kusadasi.

Cruise lines put on other excursions, such as the one you're interested in, predominantly for folk who've been to Ephesus before or who have constraints such as kids who may get bored.

Sirince is pleasant enough, but although it retains its character its biggest industry by far nowadays is tourists.

Which of course is even more so with Ephesus :D

But it's your excursion, so you need to decide for yourselves ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Please consider a tour of ancient Ephesus before you book another carpet sales pitch tour in a very touristy town.

It is one of the most significant ancient ruins in the world and really is a do-not-miss for first-time visitors. Private tours are very reasonable; we are going with just four others for $40 for a four-hour tour in just two weeks, which will be our second visit to this gorgeous site.

Everything has been said, but not everyone has said it, :) , so I'll chime in to also urge you to visit Ephesus (including the Terrace Houses) -- the real Ephesus, not the theme park -- if you have not been there before.

Hi

We are sailing on the celebrity reflectin in August this year. We are looking a shore excursions & the 'Tastes of Turkey' tour caught our eye.

This tour introduces you to the rural life in Aegean region. You'll visit Sirince, a beautiful Aegean village of 600 situated in the Turkish hillside. Here you will see the vast orchards and try some of the local specialties including different fruit wines. The highlight of the day will be when you are taken to the "cherry village" and are welcomed into the home of the local villagers' courtyards and served their favorite Turkish and household dishes. Stop at the Turkish weaving arts, carpet and handicraft village where a carpet presentation will take place. Finally, you will visit Ephesus Theme Park for a refreshment stop and exclusive interactive show.

not?

We've been to Sirince--it's a hilltop town that is now pretty touristy...They (the locals) sell trinkets (olive oil soap, magnets) along the winding road up to the top. Not a big deal. If you want "favorite Turkish and household dishes"--I'd visit a restaurant that you could find on Trip Advisor that some of us recommend....As for the Carpet and Handicraft Village--you will be shown carpet demonstrations, and the Turks are born merchants--they will get you to do anything to buy. I never knew that Ephesus had a "theme Park"---Ephesus itself is an archaeological wonder of what's left of an ancient civilization. Ther terrace houses are unbelievable--all that mosaic and tile work....However, if you are into that sort of stuff, maybe you could take a look at Herculaneum--I've jsut seen pictures, and it looks 10x better than Ephesus....That tour you described sounds like a whole lot o' hot air.

Greek city with amazing ruins

pay the extra for the terrace houses

last time we went we got a group together on cruise critic...private bus tour for 8 couples.....included Ephesus, Mary's House and and a tomb of ST John. Also included a lunch stop at a carpet factory....hate that stuff but they were not hard sellers and it was semi interesting

However, if you are into that sort of stuff, maybe you could take a look at Herculaneum--I've jsut seen pictures, and it looks 10x better than Ephesus....That tour you described sounds like a whole lot o' hot air.

I think most people would not agree with this statement. They are very different sites and experiences. Herculaneum, like Pompeii was a Roman city that was buried under Vesuvius's eruption. It's a great place to visit based on how much it still resembles it's pre-eruption state.

Ephesus on the other hand was an ancient Greek city that came under the control of the Romans in the early part of the 2nd century. It has much more historic significance as a political, commercial and religious city. The Terrace Houses are incredible.

As others have said, you'd be missing a lot if you passed this up.

I think most people would not agree with this statement. They are very different sites and experiences. Herculaneum, like Pompeii was a Roman city that was buried under Vesuvius's eruption. It's a great place to visit based on how much it still resembles it's pre-eruption state.

Ephesus on the other hand was an ancient Greek city that came under the control of the Romans in the early part of the 2nd century. It has much more historic significance as a political, commercial and religious city. The Terrace Houses are incredible.

As others have said, you'd be missing a lot if you passed this up.

Add me to the list of those encouraging you to visit Ephesus. Read reviews on Trip Advisor and watch YouTube videos and you will understand why everyone is urging you to experience an incredible site. The Terrace Houses incur an additional fee but so worth it. The Library of Celsus and the theatre where St Paul preached to the Ephesians are also not to be missed. Only 15% of Ephesus has been uncovered, so I intend to return in a few years to discover what else has been unearthed.

There are a number of reputable private tour operators which are far better than any ship excursion. We used Ephesus Shuttle and were thrilled with their services.

I see that you are traveling in August, so please be sure to take plenty of water, wear a hat and sunscreen. It is also worth noting that there is a restroom at the start of the site but none in the excavation site itself.

I agree Ephesus is incredible. I need help as I am returning to the port this fall and since we just did a private tour of Ephesus, Mary's House, etc. last year we are looking for something else to see/do. Suggestions would be appreciated. We prefer DYI if possible but if someone can recommend a tour that would be fine too. Thanks!

thanks for all the advice. what is the theme park? all the trips seem to end up there!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

I was intrigued too, cos I'd never heard of it. :confused:

Due to open about now, it appears to be shopping & eating opportunities in a Disney-type interpretation of history.

I think I might give it a miss. ;)

This is what google-translate & I have come up with:

Isabey Quarter on Atatürk Caddesi 15 thousand square meters , with a covered area of 6 thousand 500 square meters will be a theme park to be established .

Tourism and interrelations of the tour company in partnership with the District of Izmir at the entrance , which will be implemented with an investment of $ 6.5 million in Cittanti Ephesus Park, in the architectural sense of ancient Greek, Roman and Seljuk caravanserais concept will have . Construction work on ongoing and upcoming tourism season in 2014, cultivating the targeted theme park is expected to attract 250 thousand visitors .

The complex's Managing Director Celal Coskun, Cittanti of Ephesus in the park 950 square meters wide and 8.5 meters in height , pillarless multi-purpose hall will be held , said: " Within the park ; Artemission , the altar , the Roman courtyard , Caravanserai Courtyard, Celsus Square as units and these units in the Tasting House , Italian Cuisine, Turkish Cuisine, Turkish Coffee, Historic Market Place , Hadrian's Triklini and Gift Shop will be found , "he said .

All employees of the Roman period clothes with locals and foreign visitors the response of telling you Coskun, "During the day the ancient Roman-themed theatrical shows and night shows will be . Caravanserai Quadrangle who are living in the marketplace contained herein artisans using traditional methods in manufacturing will do . Hadrian's triclinium wanting visitors Romans Kline as noble lying on the experience of eating to live . 250 thousand visitors in 2014 , our goal there . Artemission multi-purpose hall will be interactive demonstrations " gave the information .

Check out google images for cittanti ephesus theme park

Only the first few are relevant, but open up the first one (Ephasus tour guide dot com) for more info.

You'll note that the pictures are all artist's impressions.

Also worth noting that although it hadn't opened it had already scored 5/5 (from one review) :D

Note to history buffs like Cynthia. If you want to give your opinion of the place, be aware of Cruise Critic's policy on the use of profanities. :D

JB :)

I will be cruising next year on NCL Spirit June 12, 2015 and I am looking for a tour guide in Ephesus and Istanbul, please send me the information on your tour guide.

There are numerous threads on here with recommendations for reputable tour guides, so I'd encourage you do to a search and read up on what folks have said.

Have a great trip. Our day in Ephesus was spectacular.

The real deal. Not a theme park. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list of those encouraging you to visit Ephesus. Read reviews on Trip Advisor and watch YouTube videos and you will understand why everyone is urging you to experience an incredible site. The Terrace Houses incur an additional fee but so worth it. The Library of Celsus and the theatre where St Paul preached to the Ephesians are also not to be missed. Only 15% of Ephesus has been uncovered, so I intend to return in a few years to discover what else has been unearthed.

There are a number of reputable private tour operators which are far better than any ship excursion. We used Ephesus Shuttle and were thrilled with their services.

I see that you are traveling in August, so please be sure to take plenty of water, wear a hat and sunscreen. It is also worth noting that there is a restroom at the start of the site but none in the excavation site itself.

To set the record straight, this was not my post....

Hi

not?

Thank You :)

Joining in the chorus of those who recommend seeing Ephesus - it's spectacular, especially the terrace houses. If you are interested in an authentic type of experience, you might like a tour that we did with Melitours. This was a small-group tour in a very nice comfortable mini-bus, for 12 people. It included Virgin Mary's house, Ephesus, and a home-made Turkish lunch at a local farmhouse, which was delicious and a highlight of the trip. We also stopped at Turkmen carpets, which was interesting in that it showed how the weaving is done, how the silk is spun from the silkworm coccoons - the whole process. Then came the carpet presentation but this was not very high-pressure and not a long stop. I highly recommend Melitours.

We just returned from a cruise which included the port of Kusadasi for Ephesus. This was our 3rd visit to this magnificent ancient site, and each time there was more to see as the excavations are ongoing. When you tour the site, pay extra for a visit to the Terrace Houses.

We have used the same guide, Mehmet Ficili (mficili@yahoo.com), for a private tour for all of our visits. He is very knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and will customize the tour for you in a van which holds 8 people comfortably. On this last visit we had enough time for lunch and Mehmet took us to his home town of Selçuk to a local restaurant where he eats frequently. We had a fantastic meal of regional local food.

I agree with other comments that the village of Sirince is very touristy. For a first visit to the area, the House of the Virgin Mary and the Church of St. John are worth seeing. But most of your time will be spent in Ephesus.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree Ephesus is incredible. I need help as I am returning to the port this fall and since we just did a private tour of Ephesus, Mary's House, etc. last year we are looking for something else to see/do. Suggestions would be appreciated. We prefer DYI if possible but if someone can recommend a tour that would be fine too. Thanks!

If you do it yourself, be sure to be dropped off at the top entrance. I noticed many taxis dropping people off at the bottom. I can't imagine trying to visit these ruins in August! We went June 8 and it was hotter then Haities!!

Highly recommend visit to Ephesus & nearby sites, here's some info about our recent experience

Ephesus Deluxe—The Best

A few months ago I had booked on-line with Ephesus Deluxe a full day excursion for two people to Ephesus, Artemis, House of Virgin Mary & St. John shrine originating from Kusadasi for Monday June 9.

My wife and I were sailing on Windstar.

Ephesus Deluxe described this as a “shared” tour meaning up to 14 people could be on the excursion but that the tour was also guaranteed to run regardless of the actual number of people on the tour.

On 6/9/14 when we disembarked in Kusadasi, we were the only two people booked on the tour and Ephesus Deluxe did indeed run the excursion.

Firstly, Kudos to Ephesus Deluxe.

In fact my wife and I had an exceptional tour, transported via a private car & driver along with an expert tour guide Ceyla (pronounced J La)

Ceyla was an archeologist by training & was very familiar with all the sites visited. She had at some point dug at all of these ruins. She was highly knowledgeable & extremely personable.

The tour included a traditional Turkisk lunch at a rug cooperative ( a place in Turkey where people are trained in rug weaving) and we also managed a stop at a ceramics factory, where we purchased a number of items at a very fair price.

For anyone looking for a tour of Ephesus & the surrounding area, especially someone who might be in port for a day in Kusadasi while cruising, my highest recommendation would be for Ephesus Deluxe.

Unlike another tour operator in Santorini who accepted both my reservation & money but then reneged on running their excursion, Ephesus Deluxe made good on their commitment.

In my book, they’re the best.

Thank you again to:

Mr. Deniz Kose

General manager

http://www.ephesusdeluxe.com

Our cruise is a year away (Celebrity Equinox) and I am a planner. I've looked at the excursions offered by the cruise line and was not really excited by them.

How easy are these ports for DYI? We've cruised before and have done both private tours with groups we have connected with on our Roll Call and a few ship tours. Never having been to these ports, we want to capture highlights but not be herded around.

What are "MUST SEES" for these ports?

I'm open to suggestions for all.

Edited by Larainerenee