RCCL Visa Hacked!

Just opened our email to find a message from Bank of America stating "some" of their credit cards had been compromised and they were inactivating our card and number as of May 27th. They say they are sending out new cards in the next 10-15 days. Well, we booked the cruise that we are taking that sails on May 23rd-May 30th and planned to use this card while onboard the ship. This will leave us having to pay cash for our onboard expenses instead of putting it on our card!

If by chance we do get our new cards before we sail, how do I change the card with Royal Caribbean so the new card is used and the old soon to be inactivated one is not used? I vaguely remember that somewhere on the online check in you are asked which credit card you will be using for your SeaPass account. Since time will be running short can I still change it?

Thanks for any help!

Call BOA, tell them you need the card expedited. They will overnight you a card at NO charge. They don't like to advertise this feature.

You can switch your card at the check-in counter as a last resort, and not a big deal to do it.

Just opened our email to find a message from Bank of America stating "some" of their credit cards had been compromised and they were inactivating our card and number as of May 27th. They say they are sending out new cards in the next 10-15 days. Well, we booked the cruise that we are taking that sails on May 23rd-May 30th and planned to use this card while onboard the ship. This will leave us having to pay cash for our onboard expenses instead of putting it on our card!

If by chance we do get our new cards before we sail, how do I change the card with Royal Caribbean so the new card is used and the old soon to be inactivated one is not used? I vaguely remember that somewhere on the online check in you are asked which credit card you will be using for your SeaPass account. Since time will be running short can I still change it?

Thanks for any help!

Happens frequently with BofA, it seems. The last time (and I do mean the LAST TIME) it happened to me, I asked that they send the replacement FedEx, which they did.

You can change the card at check in for your cruise, with no problem- even thought there is a different card on your Set Sail pass.

Thanks for any help!

Like Bob said, at check in just give them your new card. This situation happens all the time, it isn't a big deal. Do you only have 1 credit card? It might be good to have 2 different cards from different banks so if something like this happens again you're not stuck with having no credit card.

That sucks, but what is MORE annoying is that they're waiting almost 3 weeks to shut it off?

When mine was hacked, they closed it immediately and I had a new card the next day. When my debit was hacked, the bank made a new one on the spot, and gave me my money back within 2 days...

I agree that this is bad, I know people who have had their BofA RC visa compromised several times.....

I know they won't hold you responsible for any charges, but will the let you keep the points they rack up? :D

Our card was hacked too, got the new one and new bill and points were still there. Phew!!!

Oh Good Grief!!! I never even thought about our points!! Thanks to all and I called BOA back and supposed to have our points intact-we will see how that works out! Thanks to all of you for responding and yes, we do have another credit card, I was just too frustrated to think about that at the time!

Just opened our email to find a message from Bank of America stating "some" of their credit cards had been compromised and they were inactivating our card and number as of May 27th. They say they are sending out new cards in the next 10-15 days.

I couldn't figure out why they were waiting until the 27th to cancel your card. when our card was hacked it was canceled before they sent us an e-mail on it (with in minutes after it was used.)

I went back and reread your post and it said SOME of their cc. had been compromised so your card hadn't been hacked yet, but I still don't see why they are waiting so long to cancel your card. If I had gotten that message I would wonder where it came from until I called my cc. to verify that they sent the e-mail. QUOTE]

Just opened our email to find a message from Bank of America stating "some" of their credit cards had been compromised and they were inactivating our card and number as of May 27th. They say they are sending out new cards in the next 10-15 days.

I couldn't figure out why they were waiting until the 27th to cancel your card. when our card was hacked it was canceled before they sent us an e-mail on it (with in minutes after it was used.)

I went back and reread your post and it said SOME of their cc. had been compromised so your card hadn't been hacked yet, but I still don't see why they are waiting so long to cancel your card. If I had gotten that message I would wonder where it came from until I called my cc. to verify that they sent the e-mail.

Hope you get your new card soon and enjoy your cruise.

I just went through this yesterday with my Amex card I planned to use onboard. After it failed to swipe with a local merchant (:confused:) I requested a new card, just in case.

Once the card arrived, it had a different expiration date (which appears on your SeaPass), so I went onto the RCI site to change that. You just go back into your cruise documents and update whatever needs to be.

Then the site tells you that you must reprint your SeaPass.

A bit of a hassle. Probably easier to update at the pier, since everyone's saying it's no big deal. The site leads you to believe it will be a problem at embarkation.

That just happened to me in March, while on a cruise. They gave a date in the future when it would no longer be in use. I, too, wondered why the delay. One other time it happened, it was just about a week before our cruise and I called and told them I would just have to use another credit card and they shipped it out to me and I got it the very next day. This has happened to me about 4-5 times since I had the card. Maybe one of these days I will cancel it and get another card with rewards.

Gwen :)

Thanks for any help!

What would you do if this happened mid cruise. International travel requires at least 2 CC'S to be safe. One can change cc's any time during a cruise, just requires a trip to gs

The card was not hacked it was compromised. Big difference. A compromise could happen at a retailer or anywhere you use your card even a 3rd party processor. Many cards are compromised when this happens it has 0% to do with the issuing bank.

Thanks for any help!

I don't suppose you happened to shop at Target in November/December with that card? Or one of the other merchants that were hacked? I think Neiman Marcus was another big one. This sounds like the same email many have already gotten. Did it mention an "undisclosed merchant"?

Looking at the news reports concerning the Target breach - it seems as several other stores were hacked and the credit card companies are just being proactive with changing the cards that were used there.

If your number was actually stolen, and had been used fraudulently.....(trust me, I have been through it at least twice) they would stop all charges immediately. You would have to review all recent purchases on the card and verify if you had made them.

Hoping everything works out for you - you got the answers you need for the set sail pass - I was just hoping to reassure you that you might not have actually been hacked.

Some credit card companies are giving customers grace periods where they believe the threat to them (the credit card bank) is low. Too often customers' cards were being cut-off with no notice. Imagine cutting off your card in the middle of a cruise. It has happened before and will happen again unfortunately. Remember, all of the major debit and credit cards companies offer you zero liability for unauthorized transactions. It's a hassle to dispute the transactions but that's a drawback to using the card.

1. Crafts store Michaels confirms 3 million credit card numbers stolen in hack

2. Hotels company apparently hacked, exposing guests' credit cards

We never got a email but I did receive new cards in the mail yesterday stating that their systems may have been compromised. We have had this happen a couple of times with BoA and never had any issues with our points transferring over.

Karen

I think I'm on my 4th RC Visa. I hadn't considered what I would do if I was on a cruise when BofA cut me off since of course it's my preferred card for onboard purchases. Thanks for making me realize I do need to carry another card with me just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The reason it seems to happen quite often is, believe it or not, because Bank of America has a fairly good Red Flag System in place. They will replace even potentially compromised cards often and question spending that is out of the norm for the cardholder.

Your points will stay in place. As noted, it is easy to change credit cards or new numbers and expiration dates at checking.

M