Air Deviation Question

MVPinBoynton

I have searched and read many threads about Oceania air deviation and would like to verify that I am correct on my assumptions. We are doing an Asia cruise next year that has $1,050 pp built into the price, so if we do our own air, the price will be reduced by that. Since we will be arriving several days early, we would need to use deviation, which would incur the $175 pp charge, making the cost pp $1,225. The current cheapest flights are $1,300 pp; but they take a total time of 30 hours. The flights that take 20 hours cost $1,400 pp. If I want to get the shorter flights, do I pay Oceania just the $100 amount over the cheapest cost plus the deviation, making the total additional cost to me of $275? Or the difference in the ticket price less the allowance plus the deviation, costing me an additional $525 ($1,400-$1,050+$175)? Obviously if O does it the second way, it makes no sense to not book it myself without going through them; but I am trying to understand what they calculate the additional cost if the flight costs more than what they allow.

I will probably just book it myself so that I am in control of it and the price difference is insignificant at this time; but I don't know how much the prices could change in the future.

If you specify the flights you want, Oceania will come back with how much more they will cost you. You will not be able to determine that exact number in advance because the cost to Oceania will not be the same as what the cost would be to you. However, once your get that number, you have a couple of days to decide if you want to accept the deviation.

Edited by CintiPam

If you specify the flights you want, Oceania will come back with how much more they will cost you. You will not be able to determine that exact number in advance because the cost to Oceania will not be the same as what the cost would be to you. However, once your get that number, you have a couple of days to decide if you want to accept the deviation.

But I am assuming that if I don't want to use their deviation, that I will still have to pay the $175 pp charge as an administration fee for them looking up the fees. At least that is what it appears to see in the T&C's.

But I am assuming that if I don't want to use their deviation, that I will still have to pay the $175 pp charge as an administration fee for them looking up the fees. At least that is what it appears to see in the T&C's.

The only time you pay the $175 per person is IF YOU BOOK the air deviation. If you choose not to use it, there is no charge! However, there may be a charge for the particular flight you want - that's what Oceania gets charged. We flew to Hong Kong a day early and used the air devation and there was no extra charge for the flight (we don't pay for the deviation because we have 15+ cruises). Pick your flights, give them to your TA - only one set of flights at a time - and see what O comes up with. If you don't like the extra cost, check out another one. We use air deviation most of the time. Arlene

The only time you pay the $175 per person is IF YOU BOOK the air deviation. If you choose not to use it, there is no charge! However, there may be a charge for the particular flight you want - that's what Oceania gets charged. We flew to Hong Kong a day early and used the air devation and there was no extra charge for the flight (we don't pay for the deviation because we have 15+ cruises). Pick your flights, give them to your TA - only one set of flights at a time - and see what O comes up with. If you don't like the extra cost, check out another one. We use air deviation most of the time. Arlene

Thanks Arlene. I will check with our TA. It might be worth paying the final payment early to get the right flights. I hope you all are doing OK after your medical issue on your recent Asia cruise.

Forgive me, but the terms that you you are using have the unfortunate effect of mixing apples and oranges.

One only pays the "Deviation Fee" when using Oceania Airline Arrangements. Therefore, if you opt to "do your own thing", no fees whatever are assessed.

The current cheapest flights are $1,300 pp; but they take a total time of 30 hours. The flights that take 20 hours cost $1,400 pp. If I want to get the shorter flights, do I pay Oceania just the $100 amount over the cheapest cost plus the deviation, making the total additional cost to me of $275? Or the difference in the ticket price less the allowance plus the deviation, costing me an additional $525 ($1,400-$1,050+$175)?

I think you are counting on a credit that is larger than what Oceania will give you. They calculate it based on what they pay, which will be less than the published rates you're seeing. :eek:The last I heard, you can count on a transatlantic credit of something less than $1000. See, for example, the discussion at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1893825&highlight=deviation+credit.

Thanks Arlene. I will check with our TA. It might be worth paying the final payment early to get the right flights. I hope you all are doing OK after your medical issue on your recent Asia cruise.

Oceania will not provide flight deviation and associated upcharges till 270 days from the date of sailing. You do not have to make final payment to make the air deviation - you just need to be within the 270 days.

Forgive me, but the terms that you you are using have the unfortunate effect of mixing apples and oranges.

One only pays the "Deviation Fee" when using Oceania Airline Arrangements. Therefore, if you opt to "do your own thing", no fees whatever are assessed.

That sounds good to me. I was reading too much into what it said on their website I guess. It says:

Customized air requests will be subject to a non-refundable administrative fee plus any applicable service charge and/or supplier fee.

Oceania will not provide flight deviation and associated upcharges till 270 days from the date of sailing. You do not have to make final payment to make the air deviation - you just need to be within the 270 days.

Time is flying by faster than I thought. My deviation date is just one month from today, so I will just be patient and check with them when I return from our Alaska cruise. Thanks for the clarification. I thought that they wouldn't lock in unless it was paid in full.

Time is flying by faster than I thought. My deviation date is just one month from today, so I will just be patient and check with them when I return from our Alaska cruise. Thanks for the clarification. I thought that they wouldn't lock in unless it was paid in full.

LOL You seem to have a talent for misinterpretation.

270 days out was mentioned because that is when most airlines set their schedules in stone.

Don't assume that Oceania will assign you to a route at that point, if you don't do anything more. You'll need to pay the deviation fee to have a Route assigned this early.

If you still find this confusing, shoot me an email (see below) and we can go over it at length.

Jim

LOL You seem to have a talent for misinterpretation.

270 days out was mentioned because that is when most airlines set their schedules in stone.

Don't assume that Oceania will assign you to a route at that point, if you don't do anything more. You'll need to pay the deviation fee to have a Route assigned this early.

If you still find this confusing, shoot me an email (see below) and we can go over it at length.

Jim

Thanks so much Jim. Since I want to go to Beijing early, I will definitely get hit with deviation charges. But I think it will be well worth it. At least the flights I want are pretty close to the cheapest currently available.

No way am I going to the other side of the planet and not getting to spend a few extra days seeing the sights. When we flew to Singapore and Hong Kong a few years ago, we found out what long flights really are. Going to Europe now is a piece of cake. :D

Thanks - yes everything is getting better - Allan continues to improve daily. We received our final check from the insurance company for all I put in for!! In fact that will just about cover our September '14 cruise!! We went to Beijing 4 days early in 2012. We flew with air deviation and came back from Hong Kong one day later. We picked our flights and had no problem getting them. Oceania seems to be happy with United flying to Asia and we have used them twice to that area. I believe you are going in March, so you should be able to get your flights within the next month - 6 weeks. If you want any info on tour guides,write to me - tanny5258@att.net and I will be happy to discuss with you. Arlene;)

Thanks - yes everything is getting better - Allan continues to improve daily. We received our final check from the insurance company for all I put in for!! In fact that will just about cover our September '14 cruise!! We went to Beijing 4 days early in 2012. We flew with air deviation and came back from Hong Kong one day later. We picked our flights and had no problem getting them. Oceania seems to be happy with United flying to Asia and we have used them twice to that area. I believe you are going in March, so you should be able to get your flights within the next month - 6 weeks. If you want any info on tour guides,write to me - tanny5258@att.net and I will be happy to discuss with you. Arlene;)

Thanks Arlene; but you have already been more than helpful in our previous email conversations with you and Nancy prior to your cruise. All of my private tours and hotel are locked in. :) It is a good feeling. Glad that Allan is doing better and that your insurance covered you.

Edited by MVPinBoynton

Thanks so much Jim. Since I want to go to Beijing early, I will definitely get hit with deviation charges. But I think it will be well worth it. At least the flights I want are pretty close to the cheapest currently available.

No way am I going to the other side of the planet and not getting to spend a few extra days seeing the sights. When we flew to Singapore and Hong Kong a few years ago, we found out what long flights really are. Going to Europe now is a piece of cake. :D

That is a good philosophy, Mike, but as I have been trying to tell you, Passengers who do not actually USE the Oceania Airfare Program do not pay the Air Deviation Fee.

Where it seems to me that your thinking is going awry is in supposing that Oceania will present you with a proposed Air Routing before you need to decide on whether or not you will use their Air Services.

This is not the way that they work it.

If you don't alert Oceania now that you wish to Deviate, you will be told of your Airline Arrangements just before Final Payment on your Cruise is due, and Oceania won't actually purchase those tickets until after that payment is made.

Naturally, that is far too late in the game to plan anything independently.

The beauty of asking for the Deviation at 270 days out is that Oceania will then come back to you with several Options for what the flights will cost (through them, including any add ons) on the days when you have chosen to fly and the Deviation Fee does not become nonrefundable until you accept a Routing.

Ergo, if you think that you might prefer the Cruise Line To handle your arrangements, requesting the Deviation early puts the matter entirely into your hands. More importantly, if you and the Cruise Line never come to a meeting of the minds about flights, no fee is ever assessed and you are free to take the Air allowance and make your own arrangements independently.

Edited by JimandStan

Thanks Arlene; but you have already been more than helpful in our previous email conversations with you and Nancy prior to your cruise. All of my private tours and hotel are locked in. :) It is a good feeling. Glad that Allan is doing better and that your insurance covered you.

Well, I'm glad I was of some assistance! I get so many e-mails about tours, I guess I just forgot:confused: Glad all is working out in Asia. Arlene

That is a good philosophy, Mike, but as I have been trying to tell you, Passengers who do not actually USE the Oceania Airfare Program do not pay the Air Deviation Fee.

Where it seems to me that your thinking is going awry is in supposing that Oceania will present you with a proposed Air Routing before you need to decide on whether or not you will use their Air Services.

This is not the way that they work it.

If you don't alert Oceania now that you wish to Deviate, you will be told of your Airline Arrangements just before Final Payment on your Cruise is due, and Oceania won't actually purchase those tickets until after that payment is made.

Naturally, that is far too late in the game to plan anything independently.

The beauty of asking for the Deviation at 270 days out is that Oceania will then come back to you with several Options for what the flights will cost (through them, including any add ons) on the days when you have chosen to fly and the Deviation Fee does not become nonrefundable until you accept a Routing.

Ergo, if you think that you might prefer the Cruise Line To handle your arrangements, requesting the Deviation early puts the matter entirely into your hands. More importantly, if you and the Cruise Line never come to a meeting of the minds about flights, no fee is ever assessed and you are free to take the Air allowance and make your own arrangements independently.

Jim,

I completely understand what you had previously said and have already marked my calendar to contact O next month to tell them the flights I want to use, so that they can tell me if there is any extra charge over the deviation fee. I will then either tell them to book my scheduled flights, for which there will be a deviation fee; or I will book my own flights where there won't be a charge to me.

Thanks for your info and for wanting to make sure that I did understand it. As we have probably all found out, making a mistake on an airline reservation can result in much stress and cost. :D

My travel agent was kind of negative on Oceania air, she said seat assignments are not made until six weeks prior to departure. She has received complaints about middle seats assigned and poor routing. But you do not have to take the first offered flight, you can go back and forth with Oceania via your travel agent and you can keep watching prices.

Some friends had great luck with air deviation, they picked their flights and did not have to pay any differential in cost. They just paid air deviation.

I've been told the air credit is reduced the closer you are to departure date.

When I use Oceania air, I always have used a deviation, and have never had bad seats or bad flights. On the contrary, most of the flights have been the best available at any price. Remember that Oceania does not pay the same rates as you. Because of this, I recommend asking them for their proposal before specifying the flights about which you are currently thinking. You may be pleasantly surprised! If not, go back to them with your flights to see the alternative. You don't owe the deviation fee until you actually agree to one of the proposals. The fee is for the administrative time to play these games! :)

The other advantage of taking Oceania's flights on a deviation is you know as soon as 270 days out what flights you are getting, but you don't pay for them (other than the administrative fee) until final payment. That's great if your plans change or you have to cancel for health or other reasons. If you book your own, you'll pay the entire air fare now and may have difficulty cancelling or changing flights. Let Oceania worry about all that!

The only time I have booked my own flights is when I have had enough miles to make the flights essentially free, and therefore the entire air credit is a true reduction in the fare. Obviously, I also take the air credit on Miami cruises because I live just 2-1/2 hours driving time from the port.

Hi all, I am trying to help my Aunt and Uncle who will be taking their first Oceania Cruise at the end of October. Are the deviations only used if you plan to go a day or two before or stay longer after your cruise? I was understanding it to be that way but after reading this thread I'm not sure we are understanding it.

The problem they are trying to fix is not go early or stay longer but to get a better seat for my uncle. He is 6"7 and the middle or window seats really aren't a option if a "big boy" lol seat isn't a option he really needs a aisle. Any advice how to accomplish this?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gracie65

Hi all, I am trying to help my Aunt and Uncle who will be taking their first Oceania Cruise at the end of October. Are the deviations only used if you plan to go a day or two before or stay longer after your cruise? I was understanding it to be that way but after reading this thread I'm not sure we are understanding it.

The problem they are trying to fix is not go early or stay longer but to get a better seat for my uncle. He is 6"7 and the middle or window seats really aren't a option if a "big boy" lol seat isn't a option he really needs a aisle. Any advice how to accomplish this?

Thanks!!

We have cruised 10+ times with Oceania and never used their air (thus no deviation either) - thus I may be wrong.

However, if I understand the topic well, you do not use deviation only if you want to arrive early or depart late. You can also use it to get better flights - i.e. better times, more direct flights, preferred airlines, etc. Oceania will usually get the "cheapest" flights and these may be less convenient in terms of times and routes. The more direct flights or "better" airlines (CX vs UA, for example) are often more expensive.

Getting a better seat is not a function of whether you do or do not get a deviation. Rather it is dependent on which airline you fly (and their seating policy) and whether you have status with that airline or are willing to pay extra for an exit seat, etc. For example, if flying with BA, you must pay for advance seat reservations unless you have status with BA or OW (One World), in which case you can select the seats ahead for no fee.

I believe I am correct in this - if not, I am sure I will be corrected :)

Edited by Paulchili

We have cruised 10+ times with Oceania and never used their air (thus no deviation either) - thus I may be wrong.

However, if I understand the topic well, you do not use deviation only if you want to arrive early or depart late. You can also use it to get better flights - i.e. better times, more direct flights, preferred airlines, etc. Oceania will usually get the "cheapest" flights and these may be less convenient in terms of times and routes. The more direct flights or "better" airlines (CX vs UA, for example) are often more expensive.

Getting a better seat is not a function of whether you do or do not get a deviation. Rather it is dependent on which airline you fly (and their seating policy) and whether you have status with that airline or are willing to pay extra for an exit seat, etc. For example, if flying with BA, you must pay for advance seat reservations unless you have status with BA or OW (One World), in which case you can select the seats ahead for no fee.

I believe I am correct in this - if not, I am sure I will be corrected :)

Yep - here is your correction: we are actually flying BA from LAX to LHR and then from CPH to LHR to LAX. Not only were our seats assigned to us (for free - and I have no special status with BA) - we only had to pay the $350 air deviation. Had the BA flight on the day we picked out to leave (and the day we picked out to return) been higher than the contract fare then we would have had to pay the difference. Fortunately that was not the case. Paying the $350 was a bargain as we also took advantage of Oceania's promotion of the $99 upgrade to Premier Economy.

Yep - here is your correction: we are actually flying BA from LAX to LHR and then from CPH to LHR to LAX. Not only were our seats assigned to us (for free - and I have no special status with BA) - we only had to pay the $350 air deviation. Had the BA flight on the day we picked out to leave (and the day we picked out to return) been higher than the contract fare then we would have had to pay the difference. Fortunately that was not the case. Paying the $350 was a bargain as we also took advantage of Oceania's promotion of the $99 upgrade to Premier Economy.

So if I am understanding you both they will probably need to compare the air deviation in order to get him out of a middle or window seat but I should also get them to check to see if they have any perks so to speak with any airlines? They should be flying from Charlotte. Should we go ahead and be checking on what they could do seat wise with air deviation? The sail date is 10/29 so they are within the 270 day period.

I think the air assignment without deviation is like 75 days out? If they wait till then can they then negotiate for different flight times, seats etc?

We did check on the 99.00 upgrade and the promo code they booked with is not available to them,

I suppose they could negotiate at 75 days out, but any special accommodations will still cost $175 each, and there will be far fewer choices at that late date. Airplanes fill up fast. There is no cost to explore flights as early as possible within the 270 days; you only pay the fee if and when you accept the proposal.

So if I am understanding you both they will probably need to compare the air deviation in order to get him out of a middle or window seat but I should also get them to check to see if they have any perks so to speak with any airlines? They should be flying from Charlotte. Should we go ahead and be checking on what they could do seat wise with air deviation? The sail date is 10/29 so they are within the 270 day period.

I think the air assignment without deviation is like 75 days out? If they wait till then can they then negotiate for different flight times, seats etc?

We did check on the 99.00 upgrade and the promo code they booked with is not available to them,

According to some posts I have read here some airlines that Oceania uses will not pre book seats for you

On some we have had seats assigned by O & I was able to call & change them to a different location

Last trip I could not change until I checked in online 24 hrs prior to the flight

If it is a problem you may be better off just booking direct with the airline or at check in he may be able to ask for the bulkhead seats but there is not GTY

Lyn

Edited by LHT28