Wells Fargo Debit Card

Texas

I was just reading another thread where folks were having problems using an ATM machine in Budapest. Made me wonder.... anyone have a problem using their Wells Fargo Debit card in an ATM machine in Europe? On the back of the card it just has a PLUS decal. Don't know if that is a widely accepted or not. thanks for any feedback.

I was just reading another thread where folks were having problems using an ATM machine in Budapest. Made me wonder.... anyone have a problem using their Wells Fargo Debit card in an ATM machine in Europe? On the back of the card it just has a PLUS decal. Don't know if that is a widely accepted or not. thanks for any feedback.

I had no problems using my "no chip" debit cards (Bank of America and Wells Fargo) in the ATMs from London through Europe to Budapest in Dec 2013. Wells Fargo worked in all the VISA branded machines and they charged a flat fee rather than a percentage. Note to self ... remember that an ATM in Germany is a Geldomat. In addition to please, thank you, etc., I will always know the local word for an ATM. It makes it much easier for the locals to help.

Hi,

I was the one who started the thread about Budapest ATM problems. Since then I brought the subject up with my son, an airline pilot who travels all over the world. He said yes he sometimes has problems with an ATM but just finds another one and all is ok. The only time he could remember having a real problem was when he made an unexpected trip to Hong Kong and had not notified his bank that he would be there so his fault that time. I don't think problems are necessarily related to the bank that issued your card, ie Wells Fargo or B of A, but just a fluke with a particular machine. I always take 2 ATM cards from different banks as well as 2 credit cards from different banks. Then if there is a problem of any kind with one, I have a back up. I believe that some suggest taking USD that could be exchanged in an emergency. Others laugh at that and think it is crazy to carry cash but everyone has to do what is most comfortable and gives them peace of mind.

Hi,

I always take 2 ATM cards from different banks as well as 2 credit cards from different banks.

Let me add one more suggestion. If there are two of you, each of you should carry only one of the two cards (one credit and one ATM). That way if you do have the misfortune to encounter a pickpocket, you can cancel those cards and your spouse/traveling companion will have valid cards. Learned the hard way...

FuelScience

Let me add one more suggestion. If there are two of you, each of you should carry only one of the two cards (one credit and one ATM). That way if you do have the misfortune to encounter a pickpocket, you can cancel those cards and your spouse/traveling companion will have valid cards. Learned the hard way...

FuelScience

Absolutely!

• 2 months later...

My wells fargo ATM says they will charge 3% fee to withdraw foreign currency?

Does anyone have an ATM card that will withdraw with no fee......maybe I have to find a new bank.

I have credit cards that do not charge foreign transaction fee but need a way to get cash.

My wells fargo ATM says they will charge 3% fee to withdraw foreign currency?

Does anyone have an ATM card that will withdraw with no fee......maybe I have to find a new bank.

I have credit cards that do not charge foreign transaction fee but need a way to get cash.

We opened a Capital One checking account for travel. Just as with their credit cards, there are no fees of any kind to use the debit card.

We opened a Capital One checking account for travel. Just as with their credit cards, there are no fees of any kind to use the debit card.

Yep, we also opened a CapOne money market account a few years ago - mainly so we could have a separate vacation account but also to take advantage of the no forex fee for the atm card.

(re fees - there are no CapOne fees - you could still be charged a fee to use a foreign ATM. In the US I am able to use various credit union ATMs without a fee from the credit union or CapOne, but when I travel I haven't found a fee-free option - it's usually just a small flat fee, not a percentage though)

Yep, we also opened a CapOne money market account a few years ago - mainly so we could have a separate vacation account but also to take advantage of the no forex fee for the atm card.

(re fees - there are no CapOne fees - you could still be charged a fee to use a foreign ATM. In the US I am able to use various credit union ATMs without a fee from the credit union or CapOne, but when I travel I haven't found a fee-free option - it's usually just a small flat fee, not a percentage though)

There are bank/ATM cards that will refund fees if charged. Schwab is one of them.

With the Delta Skymiles Amex card, although it is a joint acct, the cards are issued differerent acct numbers. That way, if one card is lost or stolen, the acct does not have to be closed. The missing card # is canceled and a new card issued. The other card remains active in the meantime.

Becki

There are bank/ATM cards that will refund fees if charged. Schwab is one of them.

Yes, my mom has an account where that is the case. For various other reasons, those accounts haven't been appropriate for our needs. Paying $3 ATM fees a few times a year to get a better exchange rate on cash I take out while traveling is acceptable to me.

Yes, my mom has an account where that is the case. For various other reasons, those accounts haven't been appropriate for our needs. Paying $3 ATM fees a few times a year to get a better exchange rate on cash I take out while traveling is acceptable to me.

I'm a bit confused by "a better exchange rate". Isn't the exchange rate on a foreign ATM transaction set by either Visa or MasterCard (depending on the card's logo)? If that is the case, then it wouldn't matter which bank, credit union, etc actually issued the card, would it? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry - what I meant was ATMs (all) offer better exchange rates than the old-fashioned "traditional" cash exchanges. People still ask "how should I get money" when traveling overseas - in all cases I've experienced, ATM is the "best" way (fewest fees, etc) There have been a few cases where ATMs haven't been available so I do always have a cash backup, just in case.....

In my case, with all my personal variables to account for, the "best" option has been a CapOne money market account with debit card for travel to get cash at ATMs. Yes, if I am overseas, I have to pay a fee to use that ATM, but that fee is a more acceptable option to me than 1)another type of banking account that might refund fee from ATMs; or 2)any other method of obtaining cash while traveling.

There are so many types of bank accounts, (and credit cards, though I don't want to go too far astray and confuse the issues of this thread ;-) and we all need to read the fine print and figure out what works best for us in our individual lives. Paying one small fee in one area might be a better trade-off than having to maintain $10K in an account to get those ATM fees reimbursed, for example. But for those who would maintain that account in any event, it makes a great deal of sense.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Sorry - what I meant was ATMs (all) offer better exchange rates than the old-fashioned "traditional" cash exchanges. People still ask "how should I get money" when traveling overseas - in all cases I've experienced, ATM is the "best" way (fewest fees, etc) There have been a few cases where ATMs haven't been available so I do always have a cash backup, just in case.....

In my case, with all my personal variables to account for, the "best" option has been a CapOne money market account with debit card for travel to get cash at ATMs. Yes, if I am overseas, I have to pay a fee to use that ATM, but that fee is a more acceptable option to me than 1)another type of banking account that might refund fee from ATMs; or 2)any other method of obtaining cash while traveling.

There are so many types of bank accounts, (and credit cards, though I don't want to go too far astray and confuse the issues of this thread ;-) and we all need to read the fine print and figure out what works best for us in our individual lives. Paying one small fee in one area might be a better trade-off than having to maintain $10K in an account to get those ATM fees reimbursed, for example. But for those who would maintain that account in any event, it makes a great deal of sense.

Thanks for clarifying the exchange rate part. I agree that there are many types of accounts and one needs to find what works best for them. At the risk of flooding Schwab with inquiries, I will add that there is no minimum needed for their checking/savings account that offers a refund of ATM fees. We deposit into it what we plan to use before we travel. There is no requirement to use their brokerage services if you prefer not to. Yes, one must read the fine print to be sure of the terms and conditions.

I had no problems using my "no chip" debit cards (Bank of America and Wells Fargo) in the ATMs from London through Europe to Budapest in Dec 2013. Wells Fargo worked in all the VISA branded machines and they charged a flat fee rather than a percentage. Note to self ... remember that an ATM in Germany is a Geldomat. In addition to please, thank you, etc., I will always know the local word for an ATM. It makes it much easier for the locals to help.

I don't know if there is a brand name called Geldomat, but the proper term in German is Geldautomat.

Here's a 2014 version of one:

geldautomat-alleine-700.jpg

I have one quick question please. We usually take enough cash and have used a debit card only once and that was on a med cruise. A regular bank debit card with pin# will usually work and it does not require the pin and chip. Is this correct?

I have one quick question please. We usually take enough cash and have used a debit card only once and that was on a med cruise. A regular bank debit card with pin# will usually work and it does not require the pin and chip. Is this correct?

O.K.. After a reread I think I found my answer in Post#2. It appears the answer is maybe. Sorry, guess I need a couple more cups of coffee this morning.