Aussie based cruise tipping

And who is being all defensive now :) People become defensive when called liars, not because they are lying more because they are telling the truth.

Which happened when you called people liars about tipping.

Now when proven wrong, you get all defensive and again make sweeping unfounded statements.

Normally I ignore it when you write rubbish but when you answer for everyone incorrectly and insult them in the process, I felt the OP needed a few personal answers to his question.

Eaglemad now has his answers which he came here for and I know he will have a great cruise.

Call me a sceptic all you like but I simply do not believe it when Australians come on here and proclaim they tip extra.

I don't believe it, never have and never will.

Current trends in the media is the federal budget. If Australians cant afford a measly $7 to visit the Doctor then they certainly are not going around throwing away money on tips.

You have to remember the majority of Australians cruising are baby boomers accessing their superannuation and then falling back on the age pension. These people are tight when it comes to money.

There is a good old joke that goes around on cruise ships and it is what is the difference between an Australian and a dug-out-canoe.

Australians did not earn this stereotype because of a small minority.

maybe a lot of baby boomers have joined the Ski Club, we have and we find it really good

Statistically the numbers are against all the people proclaiming they tip X and Y amounts to their stewards/waiters etc.

If people really did tip all they claim they did then Princess would not have adjusted the policy in Australia and removed the auto-tipping in favour of including it in the fare.

That above is proof that people are not being honest on here because the statistics should be uniform on the forum compared to reality.

The second reason I know people are lying about it is because when you study the psychological profile of a human being typically the liars are the ones that get extra defensive about a generalisation. If a person did tip above and beyond and saw my comments and knew they did tip, then they would normally ignore the comments and not care what others think. If a liar were to see the comments they would associate themselves as the victim and come out swinging and proclaiming that they do in fact tip above and beyond. Part of it is all psychological about feeling shamed and guilty for not tipping. Generally and psychologically people who get very defensive about an issue are lying about it where as people who are honest could not give a rats a about what people think.

If you have all cruised like you say you do and have seen theatre shows of illusionists and psychological magicians where they can pick a liar. This is what I am talking about. Extra defensive people that dwell on an issue are lying or statistically more likely to lie.

What a load of rubbish. I think people in general don't like being called offensive names. You can wrap that in mumbo jumbo, but in my HONEST opinion, that just makes you look more stupid.

Anyhow, I think the Aussie board is normally a very friendly place to chat about cruise topics, so I will believe that those that took the time to respond are not lying. I am however coming to the conclusion that trolls can exist on the Aussie board.

Edited by goodycruising

What a load of rubbish. I think people in general don't like being called offensive names. You can wrap that in mumbo jumbo, but in my HONEST opinion, that just makes you look more stupid.

Anyhow, I think the Aussie board is normally a very friendly place to chat about cruise topics, so I will believe that those that took the time to respond are not lying. I am however coming to the conclusion that trolls can exist on the Aussie board.

I think you're right, Goodycruising.

A troll, or totally ignorant of the real world outside his little patch, or maybe just a cheapskate. Take your pick.

We were on the carnival spirit last week. In the Q & A session which is very interesting to attend, the CD was very open regarding tips.

He stated that carnival had adjusted the wages of all staff on the Australian cruises so that they received a decent wage when doing down under. He said it was something like 15% increase.

The CD was very honest saying that tipping is not at all required, however if we felt like putting $10 or $20 in an envelope for any special staff member, it was permissible and would be appreciated.

I was very surprised how open and honest he was, of course him being a kiwi probably had a lot to do with his attitude and comments.

I am so pleased that the auto tip even if for terrible service was not required.

When on the solstice a few years back, I suspected my sheets had not been changed so decided to plant a tissue in the bottom of the bed. It stayed there the duration of 12 nights!!! We adjusted the auto tipping and told them why.

The policy of the ship was linen change every 3 days so our room steward was a very lazy lad.

Thanks for advice to date, I appreciate the constructive advice like the idea of bringing your own envelopes for notes.

I will bring a wad of $5 and $10 notes along with a pocketful of coins for room service.

I don't mind leaving a tip for good service, but it appears that the room steward, closely followed by wait staff in the restaurant earn the majority of personal tips and judging by the feedback, usually deserve the thank you offer.

Cheers again for your tips (excuse the pun)

The thread did seam to be hijacked a little bit on you, didn't it...

I always bring US$ with me for tipping if I choose to do so (AUD won't be a problem though for your to/from Aussie). Sometimes I use it all, sometimes I use some, and once or twice I didn't use any. The Steward/Waitstaff are obvious candidets as they are the one's you see the most. On my last cruise, I was kicking myself post cruise for not giving an extra envelope to one of the bar staff at a particular bar who really made my cruise something extra from day one to last day (that is I forgot in the dissembarkation mayhem).

I suppose the main point from me for the thread is your cruises to/from Aussie do not have auto tipping, nor is it required or expected. It is very much a personal choice. Totally up to you. What you feel is right, and your personal financial situation. After that, the second main point is - Enjoy your cruise....:)

The thread was not hijacked. He is going on Sea Princess. I was very honest that it is not required at all.

I would not take money to tip on that ship. Princess has adjusted their policy because Australians do not tip. Princess had to change the rules because the numbers not tipping were so great it meant a major policy shift. Therefore the crew are on a decent wage and no tipping is required at all.

I would not lose sleep over not giving away a bit of cash.

He stated that carnival had adjusted the wages of all staff on the Australian cruises so that they received a decent wage when doing down under. He said it was something like 15% increase.

I am so pleased that the auto tip even if for terrible service was not required.

In fact the auto-tips have just been changed to a 15% surcharge on prices. ;)

But I'd much rather have it that way than the US way even though it means you can't with-hold tips for poor service. It does mean that cheapskates are forced to pay that extra 15% whether they like it or not. I've seen so many comments on other parts of this forum from people who proudly proclaim they never pay the auto-tips. :eek:

But I personally believe that exemplary service deserves additional rewards. :)

The thread was not hijacked. He is going on Sea Princess. I was very honest that it is not required at all.

I would not take money to tip on that ship. Princess has adjusted their policy because Australians do not tip. Princess had to change the rules because the numbers not tipping were so great it meant a major policy shift. Therefore the crew are on a decent wage and no tipping is required at all.

I would not lose sleep over not giving away a bit of cash.

Because you only gave your somewhat blinkered opinion your statements were misleading.

Fact: Tipping is not required.

Fact: you do not tip, that is your choice.

Fact: Some Australians do and will tip, that is their choice.

Because you only gave your somewhat blinkered opinion your statements were misleading.

Fact: Tipping is not required.

Fact: you do not tip, that is your choice.

Fact: Some Australians do and will tip, that is their choice.

Re the last fact, I don't believe it.

My reasons for not believing it is because Princess cruises were forced to change their policy for ships based in Australia.

That above is what I base my belief on.

I am 100% convinced in my mind that Australians are not generous when it comes to tipping and nothing can sway that opinion from my mind. I think the responses are all hot air.

If the vast majority of Australians did not tip on Princess ships and Princess was forced to change their policy then that statistic should be reflected here with the vast majority claiming they do not tip.

If these people who posted on here seriously paid all they claim to pay in tips then I can see no reason why Princess would change their policy for Australians.

Someone is lying. I seriously doubt Princess would not change policy for Australians without good cause.

Edited by KarateMan

Re the last fact, I don't believe it.

Well if that's the case why haven't RCI changed their policy. You can still do Traditional dining and not pre-pay the tips. You just pay them at the end of the cruise. I and other passengers did MTD and pre-paid our tips on our last cruise and there were plenty of passengers tipping the dining room staff extra on our last night.

Well I do not normally buy into debates on tipping, because really it is a personal thing.

So being personal, we were on the Golden Princess around South America for 31 days, March 1 to April 1, as was 'Karateman.' My wife and I, we are proud Australians and believe it or not we left on our auto tip which totalled around $700 for the cabin and tipped some more to our cabin steward and two MDR stewards at 6.30pm Traditional dining, because the service was brilliant. I also tipped our Head Waiter because he looked after me very well each night with advice re my gluten free diet as I am a Coeliac.

I wonder what Karateman did?

If I was on one of the 'Aussie Princess ships, Dawn/Sea/Sun ' where no doubt auto tips are included in the fare as a wage subsidy, I would probably tip a little more IF the service exceeded my expectations.

Edited by NSWP

Well I do not normally buy into debates on tipping, because really it is a personal thing.

So being personal, we were on the Golden Princess around South America for 31 days, March 1 to April 1, as was 'Karateman.' My wife and I, we are proud Australians and believe it or not we left on our auto tip which totalled around $700 for the cabin and tipped some more to our cabin steward and two MDR stewards at 6.30pm Traditional dining, because the service was brilliant. I also tipped our Head Waiter because he looked after me very well each night with advice re my gluten free diet as I am a Coeliac.

If I was on one of the 'Aussie Princess ships, Dawn/Sea/Sun ' where no doubt auto tips are included in the fare as a wage subsidy, I would probably tip a little more IF the service exceeded my expectations.

I'd be very interested to know what Karateman did as well. In fact I was just about to ask him that question when I saw your post, Les.

Which beggars another question. If Australians are tipping all they claim to tip then why on earth did Princess cruises penalise Australians out of all the countries in the world they visit and implement a "special policy" excusive for Australians that meant no tipping required on Australian based ships.

Something does not add up here......

I'm booked on a cruise from New Zealand to Australia and I am American. Can I reduce or eliminate tipping? I'm guessing probably not but please let me know.

What about tipping in restaurants before or after the cruise?

Doesn't look like you're going to get an answer Uncle Les.

As an American, I'm going to be very happy to visit Australia and New Zealand this year and not have to tip!! We'll be staying in Sydney for 5 days, then in Auckland for 2 days. Yippee - saving alot of money! When in England last year I also didn't tip because it's not their custom either.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Honestly Karateman, just admit your error in making grand generalisations or stop trying to twist your original statements.

I didn't count but about 10 folks have come on here and stated we do tip. Which means there could be 1000 or more who don't. And another 1000 or more who do.

But please stop calling the ones who do say they tip liars as it's very personal and offensive and you might need to change your name on here yet again.

Statistically the numbers are against all the people proclaiming they tip X and Y amounts to their stewards/waiters etc.

If people really did tip all they claim they did then Princess would not have adjusted the policy in Australia and removed the auto-tipping in favour of including it in the fare.

That above is proof that people are not being honest on here because the statistics should be uniform on the forum compared to reality.

The second reason I know people are lying about it is because when you study the psychological profile of a human being typically the liars are the ones that get extra defensive about a generalisation. If a person did tip above and beyond and saw my comments and knew they did tip, then they would normally ignore the comments and not care what others think. If a liar were to see the comments they would associate themselves as the victim and come out swinging and proclaiming that they do in fact tip above and beyond. Part of it is all psychological about feeling shamed and guilty for not tipping. Generally and psychologically people who get very defensive about an issue are lying about it where as people who are honest could not give a rats a about what people think.

If you have all cruised like you say you do and have seen theatre shows of illusionists and psychological magicians where they can pick a liar. This is what I am talking about. Extra defensive people that dwell on an issue are lying or statistically more likely to lie.

Goes to show....not all clowns wear a funny hat and a big red nose :eek:

Edited by dizzy1948

I'm booked on a cruise from New Zealand to Australia and I am American. Can I reduce or eliminate tipping? I'm guessing probably not but please let me know.

What about tipping in restaurants before or after the cruise?

G'day, which cruise line/ship are you on ? That will be relevant to tipping policy.

Also re restaurant tipping in OZ, not expected but appreciated. Up to you entirely, but if you like the service/food, 10% tip is often the go. Or just round up the bill, say you have a $65 bill, perhaps make it $70, again entirely up to you. Wait staff in OZ should be paid award wages, $15 per hour and upwards with extra, i.e. double time for weekend and public holiday shifts, so not entirely dependent on tips to supplement their wages.

Edited by NSWP

Doesn't look like you're going to get an answer Uncle Les.

Of course not.

If he's says he removed the auto tips we'll know he's a cheapskate, and if he says he left them on we'll know he's a liar as "Australians never tip". :D

As an American, I'm going to be very happy to visit Australia and New Zealand this year and not have to tip!! We'll be staying in Sydney for 5 days, then in Auckland for 2 days. Yippee - saving alot of money! When in England last year I also didn't tip because it's not their custom either.

Don't count on saving a lot of money. Prices will be higher instead ;)