Aussie based cruise tipping

This forum is very informative if you are prepared to spend the time trawling through it. ;)

One thing I've noticed mentioned a couple of times is pricing compared with the US. Although I've seen it compared with UK pricing - UK higher than US by at least 40% - I wonder how the Aussie prices for cruises would compare? Has anyone done any research? I guess you'd have to have access to a VPN so you can appear to be booking from the US to see the US prices. Many websites autodetect your location :(.:eek:

May have something to do with Uk wages, European port charges, employee rights in UK, VAT tax's etc...compared with the US...???

I know that the Crystal cruise I booked the year before last had a big discrepancy between Australian passengers (not as many) to US passengers (lots of them). In that the US passengers paid the same fair, but all had $500+ OBC included pp, where as the AUS passengers paid the same fair's as the US, but with no OBC. I assumed it may have something to do with Australian passengers paying GST on the same amount, where the US guys didn't, so the cruise line had some playing room?? The only exceptions were when Australian passengers went through an American (or Hong Kong in one case) travel agent, got the US perks.....

May have something to do with Uk wages, European port charges, employee rights in UK, VAT tax's etc...compared with the US...???

No, same cruise, different prices, as far as I could make out.

I know that the Crystal cruise I booked the year before last had a big discrepancy between Australian passengers (not as many) to US passengers (lots of them). In that the US passengers paid the same fair, but all had $500+ OBC included pp, where as the AUS passengers paid the same fair's as the US, but with no OBC. I assumed it may have something to do with Australian passengers paying GST on the same amount, where the US guys didn't, so the cruise line had some playing room?? The only exceptions were when Australian passengers went through an American (or Hong Kong in one case) travel agent, got the US perks.....

We don't pay GST on overseas travel and that includes cruises.

We don't pay GST on overseas travel and that includes cruises.

Is GST payable for Aussies if one does a cruise eg Perth to Sydney around the top end on an international cruise line which effectively is a domestic cruise not an international one

Is GST payable for Aussies if one does a cruise eg Perth to Sydney around the top end on an international cruise line which effectively is a domestic cruise not an international one

I do not know , but as Aussie pricing includes all taxes (supposed to anyway), it shouldn't be an issue.:D

Yes.

Thats why they now include Bali as a port of call , and in that way , a domestic cruise becomes an International one and GST is not payable by either the passenger , or the cruise line.

• 2 months later...
Yes.

Thats why they now include Bali as a port of call , and in that way , a domestic cruise becomes an International one and GST is not payable by either the passenger , or the cruise line.

Actually That's all about duty free, technically if the ship doesn't leave Australia they can't open the shops and you can't but duty free, same as cruises to Nth Qld go to Willis isl and drop anchor.

Strueth!! :D

What a kerfuffle!

Is now a good time to saunter in and say we cruised the sea Prinny Dec last year. We tipped our room steward $50 & out waitstaff as a table of 6 $150. (Yes 2x other couples, both Australian tipped as well)! Hubs n I slipped them another $50 from us as we thought they were fabulous.

Now I am uncertain if I am uncouth for discussing the amounts or a liar....:rolleyes: I suspect I'll be branded both!! ;)

However I am one cruiser and if the entire staff of the sea Prinny were waiting out for my tips on 1 only cruise that I took with them, they'd be working for free!

What you seem to have forgotten karateman is that most cruisers have never heard of CC and we are not representative of the cruising population. So even if the bulk of us tip above n beyond that does not equate to the same ratio on the ships.

Seriously though your "psych" stuff is absolute BS. I'm calling shenanigans on that one! Please don't cite your opinion as facts to back up your opinion ;) it makes you look like a drongo!!

Eaglemad & others. No need to tip, but the staff do appreciate it.

P.S. I am not a retiree, and last went to my dr 3 years ago. Before then had been in the town for 5 years & didn't have a dr!! My Medicare card had been expired for years & actually had an argument with the women at the counter about why it was so expired. Apparently it was so old no-one would accept it for ID so I had to get a new one. The fact I never visit a dr & therefore didn't need it was lost on her!!

I still do not think it is fair that people have to pay $7 out of pocket. I can afford to cruise! :p

Actually That's all about duty free, technically if the ship doesn't leave Australia they can't open the shops and you can't but duty free, same as cruises to Nth Qld go to Willis isl and drop anchor.

They can when they enter international waters even without a port call

And that is why they go out to wlus island

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The big difference between Aus and the US is not that we don't tip, but we won't tip someone for just doing their job like they do in Murrricaaa.

For this reason your tips are included in the fare for Sea Princess so there is no need to tip extra or any expectation too, but if you feel the service you got went well and truly above and beyond feel free to tip. I wouldn't tip the staff just because they did what a steward on a cruise ship does.

Same goes for US lines, as long as you have done pre-paid grats or daily tipping you shouldn't have to reach into your pocket to tip anyone else, unless of course they go well and truly above and beyond the standard job.

Room service is one that gets people going, but they are either included in a delivery charge or included in the daily service charge as "other service personnel". I saw this over on the Celebrity board not just from some Aussies that didn't want to tip either :p

But once again if you get prompt and hot delivery that surprised you how quick the person got there, why not reward them. If it arrives delayed or just as expected I wouldn't be tipping any extra.

They can when they enter international waters even without a port call

And that is why they go out to wlus island

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was a few years ago and may have changed, but when I went ti Willis the Capt explained that he had to drop anchor to qualify for Duty Free, I know he wasn't happy because there was a cyclone and he didn't want to go at all.

The big difference between Aus and the US is not that we don't tip, but we won't tip someone for just doing their job like they do in Murrricaaa.

For this reason your tips are included in the fare for Sea Princess so there is no need to tip extra or any expectation too, but if you feel the service you got went well and truly above and beyond feel free to tip. I wouldn't tip the staff just because they did what a steward on a cruise ship does.

Same goes for US lines, as long as you have done pre-paid grats or daily tipping you shouldn't have to reach into your pocket to tip anyone else, unless of course they go well and truly above and beyond the standard job.

Room service is one that gets people going, but they are either included in a delivery charge or included in the daily service charge as "other service personnel". I saw this over on the Celebrity board not just from some Aussies that didn't want to tip either :p

But once again if you get prompt and hot delivery that surprised you how quick the person got there, why not reward them. If it arrives delayed or just as expected I wouldn't be tipping any extra.

Even with Compulsory or prepaid gratuities the idea of paying for a bloke 15% extra for turning around getting a cold beer out of fridge and putting it on the bar sticks in my craw just a little. I know that to avoid this I could pay the extremely ripping off prepaid drinks packages but I guess its just part of cruising on American owned shipping lines, not that many of the ships are registered in the USA

Even with Compulsory or prepaid gratuities the idea of paying for a bloke 15% extra for turning around getting a cold beer out of fridge and putting it on the bar sticks in my craw just a little. I know that to avoid this I could pay the extremely ripping off prepaid drinks packages but I guess its just part of cruising on American owned shipping lines, not that many of the ships are registered in the USA

And remember that's 15% on an overinflated price. Say $5 for a drink that's 75c for each drink he serves. That adds up to a lot of money I bet they fight to work at the busiest bars.

I agree about tipping for just doing your job. Don't see the point of that! Our steward was lovely, snuck us through the staff passageway to get us to the muster on time, and was lovely to us. I heard him get be reared from some cross old so-n-so about princess doing blah blah blah, and we thought his tone and patience was so respectful to her. We were tempted to go out into the hall & tell her to pull her head in.

Our waitstaff checked in on us if they were on at breaky shifts, recommended activities for ship days & "helped us" taste wine ;) during the wine tasting. We also received very healthy serves of our "nightly special" liquor ;).

And bottom line for us, it was over Christmas. :) Happy for them to get the bonus.

And remember that's 15% on an overinflated price. Say $5 for a drink that's 75c for each drink he serves. That adds up to a lot of money I bet they fight to work at the busiest bars.

When one has a drink package with all drinks prepaid I wonder how the company pays gratuities to staff like baristas and barmen. It will be casual drinkers like me who pay the gratuity for someone just doing his job.

First of all let me state that regardless of how things go on board I just let the auto tips roll. I am not a fan of tipping and all the issues around it. It seems to me it is just another unnecessary thing I have to think about. I prefer to deal with good/bad service by first politely letting a person know it was not up to par and if things don't change I talk to supervisors or just take my business elsewhere next time.

BUT

While I don't agree with the low pay and the way the cruise lines subsidise these low wages with tips it is what it is.

SO With auto tips those who know better have decided what the fair amount is for me. Easy and no stress thinking about it. I just factor it in to the price and if I ever (not likely because we are low maintenance and service has been well above anything to whinge about so far) there are issues I will just deal with them the same way I do at home.

I try to encourage anyone who asks who is planning to cruise how the auto tips are important to staff.

OK NOW FOR THE MAIN POINT OF THIS POST

I just found this ad on facebook from a large Aussie web agency. The xxx's blank out their name.

" ROYAL CARIBBEAN - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BUY 1 GET 1 FOR UP TO 50 % OFF + SUPER FAMILY DEALS

7 Nights 1st Person $1049 - 2nd Person $525 or Family of 2 Adults and 2 Kids only $2019. WANT IT EVEN CHEAPER????

These prices include gratutites of $11.50 per day. They are optional, so take them off for an even LOWER price"

No wonder many Aussies might remove them if this is how TA's advise them?

First of all let me state that regardless of how things go on board I just let the auto tips roll. I am not a fan of tipping and all the issues around it. It seems to me it is just another unnecessary thing I have to think about. I prefer to deal with good/bad service by first politely letting a person know it was not up to par and if things don't change I talk to supervisors or just take my business elsewhere next time.

BUT

While I don't agree with the low pay and the way the cruise lines subsidise these low wages with tips it is what it is.

SO With auto tips those who know better have decided what the fair amount is for me. Easy and no stress thinking about it. I just factor it in to the price and if I ever (not likely because we are low maintenance and service has been well above anything to whinge about so far) there are issues I will just deal with them the same way I do at home.

I try to encourage anyone who asks who is planning to cruise how the auto tips are important to staff.

I just found this ad on facebook from a large Aussie web agency. The xxx's blank out their name.

7 Nights 1st Person $1049 - 2nd Person $525 or Family of 2 Adults and 2 Kids only $2019. WANT IT EVEN CHEAPER????

These prices include gratutites of $11.50 per day. They are optional, so take them off for an even LOWER price"

I get the point but I'm not too sure which is the Chicken and which the egg. In general I would say it reflects the Aussie attitude towards tipping, on the whole [and I know that there are exceptions] we are not a nation of tippers.

I get the point but I'm not too sure which is the Chicken and which the egg. In general I would say it reflects the Aussie attitude towards tipping, on the whole [and I know that there are exceptions] we are not a nation of tippers.

I agree with the attitude of Aussies towards tipping as well. It annoys the hell out of me and smacks of the master servant culture of days gone by. It also crosses an ethical line and borders on bribery at times. I have no problem when someone receives a higher level of service by paying a higher price for their product but hate the idea that someone who paid the same fare as me is being served out of turn while I wait because they slipped a few quid to the worker.

I have also worked for wages and in lowly paid jobs where I had to work long hours and 7 days a week for a good part of my working life BUT I got paid at least a minimum wage for it. I believe reward for good service is eventual promotion or a more highly paid job in another company.

So I thought long and hard about this and how I would react when planning our first trip to the USA and our first cruises late last year.

One way was to just ignore the tipping crap because I personally think the system stinks and there should be a minimum wage that is a liveable wage and costs of this wage should be factored in to the bill.

To be honest when I left for our trip I was leaning toward removing all or part of our tips.

BUT there is also a another Aussie trait that I believe a lot of us have (or talk about having) That is the belief in a "fair go".

Once I had read enough information about how the crew are paid to convince me that it is close to the truth and once I got the chance to check out how great they were and how hard they work the "fair go" in me made my decision easy. There is no way I could be a part of ripping off part of these peoples wages. When they smile and are so polite even under the most difficult working conditions I would be unable to look them straight in the eye if I did that. As one worker to another I always wanted what was owed to me and nothing more. So that is how I do it.

As I said the auto tips have made the decision for me on what is fair. I do not have to feel the way I would by slipping someone money or think about how much. I do not have to carry money around. It was the same in the States. I just researched the amount for OK service and that is what I pay. (good or bad). Not my job to improve or reward staff performance.

Do I hope things will change. Hell yes. Do I think it will in the USA. Let's put it this way. "they still use imperial measurement"

To their credit after I posted a comment on their facebook site about this (which they removed) they have now altered to add to read.

"Royal Caribbean - 7 Nights - 2 Adults + 2 Kids from $2019 or pay just $1699 if you dont' wish to pay Gratuities up front!!!"

Much better.

When one has a drink package with all drinks prepaid I wonder how the company pays gratuities to staff like baristas and barmen. It will be casual drinkers like me who pay the gratuity for someone just doing his job.

A friend just got back from a HAL cruise in Alaska. Included in their fare was a drinks package so they thought that was just great.

However , in reality as soon as the bar staff saw their drinks card they got the first drink or glass of wine for them , and then went out their way to ignore them for the rest of the cruise.

They were much busier serving people who were charging up drinks and giving them tips.

I agree with the attitude of Aussies towards tipping as well. It annoys the hell out of me and smacks of the master servant culture of days gone by. It also crosses an ethical line and borders on bribery at times. I have no problem when someone receives a higher level of service by paying a higher price for their product but hate the idea that someone who paid the same fare as me is being served out of turn while I wait because they slipped a few quid to the worker.

I have also worked for wages and in lowly paid jobs where I had to work long hours and 7 days a week for a good part of my working life BUT I got paid at least a minimum wage for it. I believe reward for good service is eventual promotion or a more highly paid job in another company.

So I thought long and hard about this and how I would react when planning our first trip to the USA and our first cruises late last year.

One way was to just ignore the tipping crap because I personally think the system stinks and there should be a minimum wage that is a liveable wage and costs of this wage should be factored in to the bill.

To be honest when I left for our trip I was leaning toward removing all or part of our tips.

BUT there is also a another Aussie trait that I believe a lot of us have (or talk about having) That is the belief in a "fair go".

Once I had read enough information about how the crew are paid to convince me that it is close to the truth and once I got the chance to check out how great they were and how hard they work the "fair go" in me made my decision easy. There is no way I could be a part of ripping off part of these peoples wages. When they smile and are so polite even under the most difficult working conditions I would be unable to look them straight in the eye if I did that. As one worker to another I always wanted what was owed to me and nothing more. So that is how I do it.

As I said the auto tips have made the decision for me on what is fair. I do not have to feel the way I would by slipping someone money or think about how much. I do not have to carry money around. It was the same in the States. I just researched the amount for OK service and that is what I pay. (good or bad). Not my job to improve or reward staff performance.

Do I hope things will change. Hell yes. Do I think it will in the USA. Let's put it this way. "they still use imperial measurement"

Basically I agree with all that you say.

I worked in the hospitality industry for years I could count on one hand the number of tips I got, got 100's of reports to the boss about my service. Fortunately now days I just charge like a wounded bull.

I too thought of removing the tips but decided it was unfair on the workers, I am grateful that so many companies sailing in Aus now either want pre-paid or do the honest thing and bundle it into the price.

I wonder how the lower paid workers in the US get on when they go out for a slap up meal.

My biggest problem with the whole thing is this idea that it needs to be a % of the cost. IE a $100 meal tip $20 a $500 meal tip $100, what is the difference if I eat hamburger or lobster and caviar, surely if the waiter is coming to the table the same number of times and providing the same level of service, they deserve the same tip.

A friend just got back from a HAL cruise in Alaska. Included in their fare was a drinks package so they thought that was just great.

However , in reality as soon as the bar staff saw their drinks card they got the first drink or glass of wine for them , and then went out their way to ignore them for the rest of the cruise.

They were much busier serving people who were charging up drinks and giving them tips.

The drinks packages have a pre paid gratuity of 15% factored in the price. This is the same as individual drinks (15%). So by paying for drinks either way you have fulfilled your obligation just as you would tip 15% or so in a bar in the USA I believe.

As I have said I am low maintenance but this situation is probably the one thing that would get my hackles up. Staff who are passing me by to serve others out of turn because they a tipping extra and those who are tipping extra happily allowing this to go on. In the first case it would be a polite "excuse me I was waiting here first" and then it would be a polite word to the supervisor.

I have no problem with those who chose to tip extra as long as they are gifting this because they feel it is a good thing to do. When they expect to get (free drinks, extra nips, service out of turn) it is now a bribe not a gratuity.

Edited by woodyren