On board shopping?

Do the stores on the ship have better deals then I will be able to fond locally? I'm talking sunglasses, watches, and jewelry mainly. What about cigarettes and alcohol? And yes I know the gold by the foot is fake and will turn your arm green. Seen it first hand :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my limited experience, no. (I don't patronize the shops much on board).

By the way, I bought a necklace at the "inch of gold" table about seven years ago, wear it ALL THE TIME, and have had NO problems. I receive frequent compliments on it, too.

:)

I agree. The shops on board don't have the best "deals". I use them for things I need while onboard or for gifts like perfume or something for my daughters. Shopping can be better in the ports. But I am not a shopper and would rather enjoy the ports for relaxing not shopping. For others, shopping is their thing and for jewelry St.Thomas is probably best.

Actually at least in the Caribbean the ships prices on alcohol are very good. It used to be that you could do way better somewhere on shore, but the last few cruises the ship prices have been as good or better than in port for booze. They have a price match guarantee. I once bought a limited edition of Absolut Vodka on the ship. I found it a few dollars cheaper in port, took a cell phone picture of the bottle and the price, and the ship refunded the difference. Best bet for alcohol is to price the ship and then compare when you get on shore. It is much easier not to have to carry bottles onto the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually at least in the Caribbean the ships prices on alcohol are very good. It used to be that you could do way better somewhere on shore, but the last few cruises the ship prices have been as good or better than in port for booze. They have a price match guarantee. I once bought a limited edition of Absolut Vodka on the ship. I found it a few dollars cheaper in port, took a cell phone picture of the bottle and the price, and the ship refunded the difference. Best bet for alcohol is to price the ship and then compare when you get on shore. It is much easier not to have to carry bottles onto the ship.

Warning: Many store owners WILL NOT LET YOU TAKE THAT PICTURE. They object strenuously - and who can blame them?

I have done much better with watches (Citizen) on the islands than on the ships. I don't really care that the ship will price match. They get their chance to give me their best price. If someone else does better then they get my business. That is just the way I do things.

As for sunglasses, if you are looking at expensive ones, like Maui Jim's, Allure was running a 20% off sale on all of their sunglasses. Their marked price was the same as in the States (Maui does not allow discounting) but the sale did apply to Maui's also. However, on St. Maarten I found the glasses and though they were also marked the same as on the ship and in the States I was still able to negotiate a better price than what Allure's 20% off sale would have been.

Warning: Many store owners WILL NOT LET YOU TAKE THAT PICTURE. They object strenuously - and who can blame them?

Good point. Forgot to mention that part. I don't blame them either. I usually don't worry about a few dollars. If you do choose to shoot a picture, be very discrete. Again, I only did it one time, but Royal Caribbean did honor it.

I found a fossil watch I really liked on island and tried it on, haggled with him some but was still over what I wanted to pay so started walking out of shop and as I was hitting the door the guy gave a much better price

Some of the deals are not too bad, I think.

They had a watch that I could not put down, so we bought it. After getting off board, I found that Hamilton listed the watch $100 more than I paid, and even now, on Amazon- prices are right were I paid.

And I got to wear it on the ship.

One nice thing about shopping on board- for most of the stuff, you can shop off the ship at most ports as well. Find something you like, "I'm going to think about it", and go to some stores at ports.

Also limited experience in the shops, but I have noticed that Fossil watches are much less expensive on Amazon.

As a Canadian I find Clinique, Estee Lauder much cheaper on board and sometimes have bonus paks - two items banded together for a great price. Always stock up. Have bought several jewellery items on board (not the premium brands) and have been happy with what I paid. Don't like the haggling aspect of island shopping.

Compared to prices in NYS, alcohol is generally a better buy on the ship, like someone mentioned within a couple dollars of what you can find in port. Cigarette prices are about 40% of NYS prices on board, not sure about the ports.

I will gladly pay RCI a few extra dollars for a bottle of alcohol just so that I don't have to carry it around the port

Found alcohol prices higher on the ship than in port. A lot of the stores in port will deliver the alcohol to the ship so you never have to carry them in port.

I do agree that some of the cosmetics are cheaper on board. I do not buy any of their perfume on board, those bottles don't move as fast as the cosmetics.

Hubby has purchased Invicta watches on Amazon much cheaper even with Royal's sale price.

I got a Michael Kors watch on the Explorer and it was cheaper on the ship than back here at home (even online) by $25.00 plus no tax....but I am careful what I buy and know my prices before I got (or at least a good general idea of what a decient price should be).

What do you mean stores will deliver alcohol to the boat? I thought you weren't allowed to bring alcohol on board. Apologies I am a first time cruiser come this June.

Yes stores will deliver alcohol to the ship and the ship will deliver them to your room the last night of cruise, we have done this for years.

Guest maddycat
So can you buy all types of alcohol out of shops on board e.g 1 litre bottle of vodka, Bacardi etc?

Not all types, but the ship does have a good selection........several different brands of vodka, rum, scotch, gin, brandy, etc. On the Explorer earlier this month they had great prices on Sheridan's and Bailey's.

Edited by maddycat

What do you mean stores will deliver alcohol to the boat? I thought you weren't allowed to bring alcohol on board. Apologies I am a first time cruiser come this June.

It is true so you do not need to be carrying liquor purchases around. In fact, some stores will insist that they deliver your liquor to the ship and it is a complimentary service. You will sometimes see groups of purchases behind the counter for ship delivery. Enjoy your cruise.

so in effect instead of paying bar prices you could just buy a bottle at the shop?

It doesn't work that way any more. You cannot have the bottles in your cabin. The ship stores them and delivers the bottles to your cabin on the last night of the cruise. It is the same whether you buy the liquor in port or in the ship's store.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I'm a pretty experienced shopper (just ask my husband!) and have found prices onboard for clothes, jewelry, cosmetics, etc. are okay, but no great bargains. You do save the sales tax. Alcohol is definitely cheaper than U.S. prices. We don't smoke so I don't know anything about cigarette prices. I was rather surprised recently when people on the ship were buying sale cartons of Marlboros -- 2 for $75 :eek: -- because it was such a good price.

It doesn't work that way any more. You cannot have the bottles in your cabin. The ship stores them and delivers the bottles to your cabin on the last night of the cruise. It is the same whether you buy the liquor in port or in the ship's store.

And some ships (Monarch and Enchantment are examples) don't give you the bottles until the morning you get off the ship.