On board shopping?

Actually at least in the Caribbean the ships prices on alcohol are very good. It used to be that you could do way better somewhere on shore, but the last few cruises the ship prices have been as good or better than in port for booze. They have a price match guarantee. I once bought a limited edition of Absolut Vodka on the ship. I found it a few dollars cheaper in port, took a cell phone picture of the bottle and the price, and the ship refunded the difference. Best bet for alcohol is to price the ship and then compare when you get on shore. It is much easier not to have to carry bottles onto the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the problems with price matching is that it is not easy to go back to the store if the match is not honored.

The ship is convenient for name brand cigarettes and alcohol but in my experience one can generally find a better price ashore in the Caribbean. Of course it might take a bit of work to find that deal.

I like to buy my alcohol ashore since I generally like to find something that is local.

Haven't bought cigarettes for many years. My memory is that shipboard prices fluctuated and were usually close to but not better than those ashore. Once again, brand selection is usually better ashore.

In my limited experience, no. (I don't patronize the shops much on board).

By the way, I bought a necklace at the "inch of gold" table about seven years ago, wear it ALL THE TIME, and have had NO problems. I receive frequent compliments on it, too.

:)

I bought my necklace 9 yrs ago, and it looks just as beautiful as the day I bought it.

This last time, I noticed the alcohol prices were similar to what they were in port (Nassau), but it might depend on where you are going. I think last year the prices in Cozumel were better than the ships'. Though the port stores have more of a selection. For other things, just don't fall for the $10 sale or any other cheap stuff they sell because everything I bought in December has pretty much broken, including a watch that did not even make it home before breaking. I've had better luck shopping at Five Below. :rolleyes:

On my cruise on Freedom back in October, I got a very good deal during a sale on an Invictus watch, and a very good deal on a Michael Kors watch in Cozumel. Both were less than what I would have paid for them here in the USA! :cool:

I have only thoroughly checked prices on one watch brand, Citizen. The ship's price is much lower than Amazon or any retail store in the northeast. Plus in CT I would have to 6+% more in sales taxes. That said, the ship's prices are not the lowest. I bargained in St. Thomas and was able to get an even better price by 10%. There are two good reasons to buy on the ship 1) you'll probably have a couple of days to return it if it dies early, and 2) they will fit the band while you are doing something else besides waiting!

I can only speak for CT, the alcohol prices are 50% lower on the ship. But in St Thomas prices are lower and the selection is far larger. If you buy one bottle of rum in St. Thomas (U.S.V.I.) you can bring back a total of 6 liters per couple. If you buy on the ship it's just two. The problem is baggage/flying with that much liquor because you can't carry(on) it on a plane.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have only thoroughly checked prices on one watch brand, Citizen. The ship's price is much lower than Amazon or any retail store in the northeast. Plus in CT I would have to 6+% more in sales taxes. That said, the ship's prices are not the lowest. I bargained in St. Thomas and was able to get an even better price by 10%. There are two good reasons to buy on the ship 1) you'll probably have a couple of days to return it if it dies early, and 2) they will fit the band while you are doing something else besides waiting!

I can only speak for CT, the alcohol prices are 50% lower on the ship. But in St Thomas prices are lower and the selection is far larger. If you buy one bottle of rum in St. Thomas (U.S.V.I.) you can bring back a total of 6 liters per couple. If you buy on the ship it's just two. The problem is baggage/flying with that much liquor because you can't carry(on) it on a plane.

Enjoy your cruise.

Usually on the islands the stores are more than happy to supply you with a drink or two to lessen the impact of waiting.;):)

I have bought several Royal Caribbean tee shirts for myself and the Grandkids. Washed up very well. I particularly like BRITO when that shop is available (Oasis and Allure) and have bought place mats, salt and pepper and a holder. Very colorful. :) Can't find this at home at all!

Does anyone know if the ship has Captain Morgan Black Rum or Parrot Bay Coconut Rum - I know they carry Cruzan Rum.

Thanks !

I just come across a Liquor order from from the Explorer that I had for at least 6 months and none of your request above are listed on the form. They do have:

Cpt Morgan Spiced Rum for $12.99 (750ml) and 2 for $21.99.

Cpt. Morgan private stock for $21.99 (750ml) and 2 for $35.99.

Parrot Bay is similar to the Mailbu Rum for $16.99 (750ml)and 2 for $29.99.

Someone mentioned Sheridan's, $25.99 and 2 for $41.99

Bailey's $21.99 and 2 for $35.99

Don't know the sizes of the above 2 brands.

I'll keep the form handy in case someone else in interested in knowing what brands they carry and the prices.

Anyone know of an email or phone number,if someone has a problem with a purchase from a shop on board AFTER they get home?? Thanks!

Kathy, all I can thing of is Corporate Guest Relations: (800) 256-6649. If they can't help directly, they should be able to give you the right number.

Edited by clarea

Kathy, all I can thing of is Corporate Guest Relations: (800) 256-6649. If they can't help directly, they should be able to give you the right number.

Thanks Bob....it's not for me,but will pass it on to my friend.:)

For alcohol -- the ship has decent prices, but it depends on the port whether or not they're competitive. The variety is pretty decent for many of the "staple" liquors (Jack Daniels, Absolut, etc), but they don't have as much premium specialty stuff (i.e., the full Blanton's flight, rarer tequilas). It all depends what you want to buy.

St. Thomas usually has the best prices and best overall selection, you also can bring back 5 liters, so long as 4 liters are purchased in St. Thomas and one liter is a product of it. The same applies for St. Croix and St. John. Note this is all for US citizens, I don't know the rules for non-US.

Other than that, usually you're best off getting the liquor you want from the appropriate stops (i.e., Rum from Puerto Rico, Barbados, or Jamaica, Tequila from mexico) for maximum price and selection. I love tequila and usually buy some decent, harder to find stuff (at least hard to find in the East coast) at Cozumel.

Finally, remember you get an extra liter of alcohol from "Caribbean Basin Countries" -- Jamaica is on the list, but Mexico is not sadly. I've linked relevant US Customs and Border Protection websites below. Note that I've had issues with CBP officers not always being aware of the Caribbean Basin exemption (in Florida, I kid you not), so you may consider printing out a copy of the exemption page if they give you trouble. Honestly I think most people don't declare anything so the Customs folks get confused when you actually read the rules and declare things correctly.

References:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/424/~/bringing-alcohol-from-u.s.-insular-possessions-into-the-u.s.-(u.s.-virgin

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/544/~/items-which-can-be-brought-back-from-the-caribbean-duty-free

http://www.ustr.gov/trade-topics/trade-development/preference-programs/caribbean-basin-initiative-cbi

. . . Note this is all for US citizens, I don't know the rules for non-US.

. . .

People returning to another country, e.g. Canadians, have to comply with US customs regulations when they debark in the US and also meet their home country's regulations when they return home.

Canadians, for example are allowed to bring in 1.14 liters of alcohol duty free, http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html#s2x13

I bought a Citizen Eco Drive watch on a Carnival cruise last year. It was style/type I really liked. Impulse buy..did not need it or plan to buy a watch. It was the second to last day when they had a "you are captive on the ship so come to our 40% off sale". Once home, I checked on Amazon and found the same watch for about the same price. But at least I was able to actually touch the merchandise before I bought it, unlike Amazon. Happy.

I think people have to call the company that runs the on board shops. But right this minute I can't think of its name.

For ships in Galveston Texas, there is now some type of tax the State of Texas charges on Liquor and cigarettes that you have to pay as you go through customs. I thinks it's like 15.00 per bottle and I don't remember what it is on cigarettes. Can't save money that way.

For ships in Galveston Texas, there is now some type of tax the State of Texas charges on Liquor and cigarettes that you have to pay as you go through customs. I thinks it's like 15.00 per bottle and I don't remember what it is on cigarettes. Can't save money that way.

I leave on Saturday out of Galveston and I had heard about the tax but wasn't sure what it was. You are right, if it is $15 a bottle, it doesn't make sense.

I wonder what impact this is having on liquor sales on the Navigator.

Edit: I was curious so I looked it up...

For alcohol, the tax is fairly small — $3.75 for a liter of booze. For cigarettes, it is a pricey $1.50 per pack.

Edited by galavant3