Using Oceania Air

melody hounddog

I am planning on using Oceania's "free" air for my trip to Europe. I will be paying for the air deviation and am thinking of flying British Airways. Am I able to pay extra and upgrade to premium economy or business class? Do I do this through Oceania or directly with the airline?

Thanks!

I am planning on using Oceania's "free" air for my trip to Europe. I will be paying for the air deviation and am thinking of flying British Airways. Am I able to pay extra and upgrade to premium economy or business class? Do I do this through Oceania or directly with the airline?

Thanks!

We just recently booked Philadelphia/London BA Business class for much less through Oceania than we could have paid even using many many points.

We fly this route regularly and found O cheaper for Business than we have ever found them to be in the past.

Check out what your cost would be directly with BA and compare.

Thanks!

I am using Oceania air with no deviation. I am able to purchase premium economy from the airlines and select my own seats . Of course, I have to pay the airline for the upgrade.

I am using Oceania air with no deviation. I am able to purchase premium economy from the airlines and select my own seats . Of course, I have to pay the airline for the upgrade.

Not sure I understand: if you aren't paying a deviation fee then how do you know which airline you are taking in order to upgrade to PE? Unless you are now within 60 days of your flights then it would make sense. However, paying to upgrade to PE can be costly on certain airlines.

Not sure I understand: if you aren't paying a deviation fee then how do you know which airline you are taking in order to upgrade to PE? Unless you are now within 60 days of your flights then it would make sense. However, paying to upgrade to PE can be costly on certain airlines.

What you say is true, every class of Airline Ticket is not upgrade-able, so it would be a mistake to assume that an un-deviated Ticket from Oceania would automatically qualify to be upgraded by the Airline.

What airline are you on?

I've had two experiences with this. Both of these are with air through Oceania, no deviation on either. The first was on Delta, ATL-Rome. Once I had a ticket I was able to go on the Delta website, move my seat around and select the Premium Economy seats and pay the extra fee directly to Delta.

The second experience was on BA, MIA- IST and once the tickets were issued we had seat assignments and were able to move them around on the BA website. I could not upgrade to the Premium Economy(or whatever they call it) through them. I had to do this through Oceania. The cost at that time(last November) was $600 per person. It was only $799 to upgrade to Business. I did neither. Oddly enough as we got closer to the flight I was able to move my seat to a bulkhead seat with plenty of legroom at no charge. Previously these were Premium seats. Before I moved backwards in the plane I really studied the plane information and seating chart on the BA site, then compared it to Seat Guru because I really didn't think I'd be able to get the bulkhead at no additional charge. But we did.

You never know.

The first was on Delta, ATL-Rome. Once I had a ticket I was able to go on the Delta website, move my seat around and select the Premium Economy seats and pay the extra fee directly to Delta.

I had the same experience with Delta, but we do have a deviation on our flights to Lisbon and back from Rio in November. As soon as the flights showed up on Delta's web page I moved us up to Premium Economy at the standard rate for those seats.

United and their Alliance Partners, Scandanavian in particular, will not allow one to do so. If O has purchased the ticket, one must go through O to upgrade. If you have a TA, you have to have them ask O to get the upgrade (or cost thereof) for you. These airlines will only allow you to upgrade on the day of the flight. Then there is the issue of price differentials, which was discussed above.

If you want a PE upgrade, it is best(safest) to work it with O in the very beginning.

So what happens if you already have premiere status with the airline (e.g., United)? Can you move from Economy to Executive Premiere (which you could normally do without charge) through the airline website or do you go through your TA/Oceania?

So what happens if you already have premiere status with the airline (e.g., United)? Can you move from Economy to Executive Premiere (which you could normally do without charge) through the airline website or do you go through your TA/Oceania?

All that kind of thing is dependent upon the Rules of the Airline in question, and what accommodations they will make for a reserved, but un-purchased, ticket.

Remember that the Cruise Line won't purchase your Airline Tickets until your Cruise is paid for in full.

Edited by JimandStan

United and their Alliance Partners, Scandanavian in particular, will not allow one to do so. If O has purchased the ticket, one must go through O to upgrade. If you have a TA, you have to have them ask O to get the upgrade (or cost thereof) for you. These airlines will only allow you to upgrade on the day of the flight. Then there is the issue of price differentials, which was discussed above.

If you want a PE upgrade, it is best(safest) to work it with O in the very beginning.

I have to disagree with you. We booked air deviation thru Oceania for United flights to/from Asia. Once I had my locator number I was able to navigate United's website and get premium economy seats with the touch of my mouse! On British Airways, you must go thru Oceania to get these upgraded seats!! This is very recent. Arlene

Perhaps United has changed very recently. Last summer I used O air with a deviation . I have status on United, but once O had bought the ticket and the seat was assigned United would not allow me to change anything directly. I was referred back to O. I believe part of the issue was the booking code along with an O/United agreement . Scandinavia did the same thing. An interesting side note to that trip that even though united code shared the overseas leg with S.A. , O bought the US leg through United and the international leg through Scandanavian. United couldn't help me at all on the latter, nor my status.

Thanks!

Yes you may. I have done this, upgraded to PE on BA, and it was done through Oceania, with a deviation. I think we paid something around $600 per person, each way, and got to choose our flights. Since it was a TA, we only had to do this one way, and got an air credit for the other half, since we were living in Florida at the time.