May 14, 2014

dressmaker13

Returned from the trans-Atlantic cruise on the Nieu Amsterdam (4/6/14-5/2/14). Had the best of our four crossings yet!! All the ports of call

were wonderful and exciting, especially Debrovnik and Montenegro. Food

was delicious as usual, however the entertainment was a great disappointment.

Returned from the trans-Atlantic cruise on the Nieu Amsterdam (4/6/14-5/2/14). Had the best of our four crossings yet!! All the ports of call

Good to read that you had a great cruise!! Sorry about the Entertainment.....

Joanie

We were on the Transatlantic segment of this cruise and agree 100% with your evaluation. The saving grace on entertainment was the BB King Group which we thought was great although I realize they might not appeal to everyone.

A bit more detail might help other cruisers understand better what you did not enjoy :confused:

Speaking for myself, I thought the production shows were poor particularly the dialogue which was inane. I also thought the entertainers in the piano bar, Adagio and the crow's nest were mediocre. Of course, this is very subjective and did not detract from my enjoyment of the cruise.

I, too, would like more details about what entertainment was offered.

This August-September on the Eurodam, the individual entertainers were mostly good, the Piano Bar woman was great, but the production shows were poor/juvenille in concept.

On Westerdam in January, the entertainmet in all venues was very good. The Piano Bar man was good, but did not watch Diane Fast on the Eurodam during the Summer.

I, too, would like more details about what entertainment was offered.

This August-September on the Eurodam, the individual entertainers were mostly good, the Piano Bar woman was great, but the production shows were poor/juvenille in concept.

On Westerdam in January, the entertainmet in all venues was very good. The Piano Bar man was good, but did not watch Diane Fast on the Eurodam during the Summer.

Agree. We have cruised with Diane and she fills the Piano Bar every night ... a very nice person. Her husband Bob is a bass player with the HalCats. Him and a few of the HalCats would sometimes come and jam in the Piano Bar late at night after their sets.

Agree. We have cruised with Diane and she fills the Piano Bar every night ... a very nice person. Her husband Bob is a bass player with the HalCats. Him and a few of the HalCats would sometimes come and jam in the Piano Bar late at night after their sets.

Great to hear that Diane and Bob are still with HAL. We enjoyed her and the impromptu sets on the 75 day Amsterdam Grand Asia 18 months ago.

Welcome home.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise. I have only been on the N Amsterdam once and while entertainment isn't a priority with us, we found it wanting as well. Much prefer the entertainment on other ships in the fleet - but things change from week to week or cruise to cruise.

thanks so much for sharing.

Welcome back; sorry about the entertainment. Is poor entertainment typical on transatlantic cruises?

You raise a good point. An entertainer that embarks in the U.S. is going to have to remain on board for at least 7 or 8 days. I suspect that means you are either going to get an entertainer that is not heavily booked or pay substantially more than one who embarks for just a day or two. I think these factors limit the quality of entertainers that one may find on cruises with multiple port stops.