Veendam Neptune Suite

sherilyn70

Looking for some quick info (before 11am ET) on the rooms. I currently have a handicap lanai. I think I could manage with the bathrooms in a Neptune suite from what I have seen in pictures and read (as long as the sink is next to the toilet I can push myself up, and the tub has a grab bar from what I can tell). The biggest question is if there is room for my scooter to sit in the room and not be tripped all over by us. :) There are many SA suites still open right now and the upgrade would take us to a total of 1898pp (we originally booked at 1599 and then reduced to 1099, now for 799 we can upgrade) for a 7 day cruise, so it's a tempting deal.

Looking for some quick info (before 11am ET) on the rooms. I currently have a handicap lanai. I think I could manage with the bathrooms in a Neptune suite from what I have seen in pictures and read (as long as the sink is next to the toilet I can push myself up, and the tub has a grab bar from what I can tell). The biggest question is if there is room for my scooter to sit in the room and not be tripped all over by us. :) There are many SA suites still open right now and the upgrade would take us to a total of 1898pp (we originally booked at 1599 and then reduced to 1099, now for 799 we can upgrade) for a 7 day cruise, so it's a tempting deal.

Hello,

Take a look at halfacts.com it is a site that shows a lot about HAL cruise ships including pictures, etc. The Veendam Neptune Suite 021 is included.

I think you will be fine in a Neptune Suite

Enjoy

Hello,

Take a look at halfacts.com it is a site that shows a lot about HAL cruise ships including pictures, etc. The Veendam Neptune Suite 021 is included.

I think you will be fine in a Neptune Suite

Enjoy

Thanks, I did look there but photos aren't always taken at good angles to show how much space there actually is. I couldn't determine actual clearance between many of the areas where the scooter might be left sitting.

Having been in a Neptune Suite on the Veendam, i can tell you that there is definitely room for your scooter. As for the bathroom, i honestly cannot remember if the sink counter is close enough to the toilet. There is no walk-in shower, only a tub. Don't remember if there were grab bars.

Terri

I know it's a little past 11, but if you send me an email address, I'll return a few pictures of the Neptune suite to you.

Email me HERE

I called at 11am and talked to them. I was talking about how I wasn't 100% sure about the bathroom and they then said "well we do have the handicap modified room available, it was just assigned to the 14 day sailing... let me move that for you". So I took it, SA030 here I come! :)

Having been in Neptune Suites on all the ships (except Prinsendam) many times, without hesitation, I advise against your staying in one. I have read a number of times about the difficulty you experience with walking/mobility and the sides of the tubs in the Neptune Suites on Veendam are very high. It is not safe for someone with mobility issues to try stepping into and out of those tubs. I have no problems at all and I hold on to that bar very tightly and am very aware when stepping out of the tub especially when the ship is moving. There is no separate, walk in shower in those bathrooms.

I called at 11am and talked to them. I was talking about how I wasn't 100% sure about the bathroom and they then said "well we do have the handicap modified room available, it was just assigned to the 14 day sailing... let me move that for you". So I took it, SA030 here I come! :)

I had not refreshed my screen and did not see this post until I wrote mine. This is a much better set up for you. Enjoy. Have a great cruise.

Having been in Neptune Suites on all the ships (except Prinsendam) many times, without hesitation, I advise against your staying in one. I have read a number of times about the difficulty you experience with walking/mobility and the sides of the tubs in the Neptune Suites on Veendam are very high. It is not safe for someone with mobility issues to try stepping into and out of those tubs. I have no problems at all and I hold on to that bar very tightly and am very aware when stepping out of the tub especially when the ship is moving. There is no separate, walk in shower in those bathrooms.

Yeah, I was a little nervous for those reasons. I know my husband would have been there to help like he does at home but I wasn't 100% sure.

I had not refreshed my screen and did not see this post until I wrote mine. This is a much better set up for you. Enjoy. Have a great cruise.

Thanks! I'm very confident now about the setup and glad I called. I figured it couldn't hurt to discuss it with them and it turns out I was right. Just because I got "this room is not available" online didn't mean it wasn't. I'm really looking forward to this and feel like I got a pretty great deal. :)

In the traditional Neptune Suite on all the ships, the sink counter is very close to the toilet. However, some might be interested to know the toilets are very low in those cabins. They are lower than what most consider 'usual'.

Hi All

The sink in a Neptune suite is near the toilet and there is plenty of room for your scooter in the room, but not in the bathroom, that is still kind of tight and has a step up & over entrance. Also the bath tubs do have grab bars but the step into and out of the tub is a big one! you might ask if they have a handicapped Neptune suite? I think Cabin number SA 30

Hi All

The sink in a Neptune suite is near the toilet and there is plenty of room for your scooter in the room, but not in the bathroom, that is still kind of tight and has a step up & over entrance. Also the bath tubs do have grab bars but the step into and out of the tub is a big one! you might ask if they have a handicapped Neptune suite? I think Cabin number SA 30

That is what Sherilyn did......

And she was able to book SA030 which is the handicapped rebuild.

Thanks to everyone, apparently it double posted when I did this this morning and I didn't realize it. :)

As Sail mentioned, SA030 did turn out to be available and solved all questions about me being able to handle it.

I can walk short distances without too much trouble as long as my hemoglobin levels are decent... and we plan on giving me a few units of blood right before the cruise to insure this. I'll also be discontinuing my meds for a week to alleviate fatigue and other misc side effects. So the scooter really will be for longer distances such as getting around for a bit on the ship if needed and absolutely for excursions. I lack strength in my right leg due to restricted blood flow in it (pesky tumor) so I have to have something solid to push myself up from a seated position and I have difficulty in lifting it up more than an inch or two. So the modified bathroom is perfect for my needs.

So pleased to read that you have been assigned this room.

Have a wonderful cruise in the Neptune suite.

So now that I have the room I need to refresh on what is available with it. I feel like there are benefits many have mentioned previously that the HAL website does not discuss.

What are the cold hors d'oeuvres that I can get for my room daily? Will they provide me with anything special to host a small gathering (about 10 people)? What beverages and snacks are available in the Neptune Lounge and what hours are these out/available? Room service, is this one of the suites where I can order dinner for my room instead of going to the MDR? Trying to figure out everything before we get on, especially for the days where I may feel ill.

Room service, is this one of the suites where I can order dinner for my room instead of going to the MDR?

Everyone, even the lowest category inside, is allowed to order from the dining room menu for dinner service in the cabin.

Everyone, even the lowest category inside, is allowed to order from the dining room menu for dinner service in the cabin.

But if I recall some rooms get it by course instead of all at once. They also get the printed menus in their rooms. I guess that's more the question I had about MDR meals.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You will have the dinner menu delivered to your mailbox each day. It is usually in the morning but there have been times we didn't receive it until lunch time. Much more often than not, we have it by 10:00 or earlier.

Edited by sail7seas

But if I recall some rooms get it by course instead of all at once. They also get the printed menus in their rooms. I guess that's more the question I had about MDR meals.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes, you will get the MDR printed menu delivered to your room. We much prefer having in-room dinner served all at once, or maybe dessert served later if it is something that should remain cold, like ice cream, rather than course by course. We like to eat at our leisure and on our own leisurely schedule without thought of having the steward coming back with the next course. Sometimes DH might want to start his entrée immediately after the appetizer and salad while I might want to wait a little longer before the entrée. And we certainly don't want the steward staying in the suite waiting to collect dishes and serve the next course or even staying on the verandah talking to us, as at least one poster has described.

That said, you will love dinner on your verandah. Have a great cruise.

Edited by cruisin'girl

Yes' date=' you will get the MDR printed menu delivered to your room. We much prefer having in-room dinner served all at once, or maybe dessert served later if it is something that should remain cold, like ice cream, rather than course by course. We like to eat at our leisure and on our own leisurely schedule without thought of having the steward coming back with the next course. Sometimes DH might want to start his entrée immediately after the appetizer and salad while I might want to wait a little longer before the entrée. And we certainly don't want the steward staying in the suite waiting to collect dishes and serve the next course or even staying on the verandah talking to us, as at least one poster has described.

That said, you will love dinner on your verandah. Have a great cruise.[/quote']

Did they set your table with cloth, stemware, etc?