What's your JS "sweet spot"

Not really asking for advice, because everyone is different when deciding what something is "worth". I'm just curious what various opinions are.

Let's say you had a D1 balcony on Freedom for a 7 day cruise, 2 parents and one teenager in the cabin. Total fare around $2,800.

What's the most you would pay to upgrade to a JS? We looked at it and right now it would be roughly $850 (around 30%) more in this case. That's more than I would personally pay to upgrade, so we're staying in the D1, which I'm perfectly fine with.

So what's your sweet spot? 10% more? 20%? 50%?

I have upgraded us twice to JS. Once 70 euro per person (Navigator Oct2013) and latest 160 euro per person (Oasis March2014). I was happy with both upgrades. We were traveling as a couple, though.

One needs to consider how much time will be spent in cabin. We enjoyed our cabin and balcony a lot. Had we traveled with our teenage daughter, situation would have been totally different. We would have been out and about for the most of the time with her.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Our sweet spot for a JS on Voyager/Freedom class ship on a non-holiday non-summer Caribbean cruise is $150 to $175 per person per day.

Edited by clarea

Hard one to say...., no more than $300 total. But, in early Feb, they had a piece drop that made our already booked D1 at almost the same price as a JS, we upgraded($125 difference for 2 weeks). Fast forward to May 1 and we got an additional $300 off of the already great price. When I see the JS at "only" 75 a day extra ( usual price difference, I ignore the deal), when it gets down to $19.00 a day, I start looking. Missed a GS upgrade at $25.00 a day... Should have looked closer...

Quantum, we paid more then we usually would, we are all in counting taxes and fees and our balcony discount at $200 a day per person for a Spa Junior Suite 8- day cruise..

If it was a regular JS on any other ship though our sweet spot would go down to $150 max, if any higher we would just go with a Category D or E Cabin of somekind and be happy.

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

I would sit on the d1 and wait for a W, or price drop on the j's. Maybe the week of or right after FP. If not, then you have a cabin you are happy with

That's what we were able to do on Allure last week. Prices on the JS dropped significantly, so we were able to upgrade for little extra than our D1 a couple of weeks after final payment.

We always do JS or similar cabin depending on the line and depending on price go to GS when possible, love the perks on GS, but love the price with our diamond discount on JS (no diamond discount on GS and above)

We always do JS or similar cabin depending on the line and depending on price go to GS when possible, love the perks on GS, but love the price with our diamond discount on JS (no diamond discount on GS and above)

You may want to double check that. We have the Diamond balcony and suite discount applied for one of our upcoming sailings in a GS.

We just got our balcony discount for a GS booked last week for allure

Edited by setsail

That's what we were able to do on Allure last week. Prices on the JS dropped significantly, so we were able to upgrade for little extra than our D1 a couple of weeks after final payment.

Interesting I will definitely keep an eye on that after FP. We already scored a nice price drop when the BOGOHO sale started. But like I said I'm fine either way. After all, I'm used to a non-balcony room on my previous Disney cruises. To get a balcony from Mickey he wants you to sell a kidney ;)

We just got our balcony discount for a GS booked last week for allure

Very interesting , I went from a JS to GS on my cruise a couple of weeks ago on Navigator and I was told it was not by RCCL, is it all suites?

Very interesting , I went from a JS to GS on my cruise a couple of weeks ago on Navigator and I was told it was not by RCCL, is it all suites?

Yes, as far as I know

Edited by setsail

I was checking cabins the week before our last cruise and was able to upgrade to a JS for $100 total (2 people, 5 night cruise). That was definitely worth it to me!

It was our first time in a JS and I think it spoiled us. I already booked a JS for our next cruise. :)

For us it would depend on the ship configuration and where our current room was situated.

Our last trip on Radiance we were upgraded from a central hump D to a JS very close to the aft of the ship under a very noisy preparation area. We were appreciative that we got a free last minute upgrade, but there was a fair bit of regret on not having the cabin we picked.

We had auto upgrades ticked, so it was our choice to roll that dice. We did enjoy the extra space, but it is our future preference to have a cabin between accommodation floors.

So our sweet spot is not so much price, as location of cabin. Two previous junior suites, both with a lot of noise at all hours above, we are a bit wary. We have booked another JS with the "JS for a balcony price" offer that was running here at the start of the year on Rhapsody, and have never seen the price of a D balcony that cheap again even. On Rhapsody the JS is not as large as on Radiance, so it runs closer in price to balconies anyhow.

You need to have a feel for normal pricing, and have your ballpark figure for what you would normally be prepared pay, in what location, to decide when an upgrade hits the right price point.

Did you by chance book as part of a WOW sale. I believe these sales exclude using any other discount such as the C&A balcony discount.