Question About Boarding a Cruise

PBrideBC

As far as putting your stuff in your luggage in waterproof bags and buying waterproof luggage goes, we already do all that every time we go anywhere. I did have to put my foot down when he wanted me to first put each outfit in a gallon zip bag, then the whole lot in a trash bag inside the suitcase. That just seems excessive and takes up too much space. Especially when Hubby also insists we always travel light. I have learned to do 2 weeks in a carry on with a little help from my sink laundry set. I thought it would be terribly difficult when he first put that to me, but it really isn't that bad.

Perhaps it's time to look at new luggage. We use hard-sided Samsonite bags, with built-in TSA approved locks. Our bags have sat out on airport tarmacs in the pouring rain, and we've never had a problem with anything getting damp. And, if your DH is concerned about someone rummaging around in your luggage, while it's in the hallway (or in transit) -- well, that's always possible. But, unlike soft-sided luggage, there is no zipper that can be popped open with something as simple as an ink pen. :cool:

Shucks, if this is a big issue, just drag the bags with you up the gangplank and keep your fingers crossed. If they won't go through the scanner, maybe ask if they can be manually searched. What is the worse that can happen? If the cabins are not ready, I suppose it is a lot better to be sitting in a comfortable lounge with your luggage rather than camped outside your cabin door waiting for delivery.

Shucks, if this is a big issue, just drag the bags with you up the gangplank and keep your fingers crossed. If they won't go through the scanner, maybe ask if they can be manually searched. What is the worse that can happen? If the cabins are not ready, I suppose it is a lot better to be sitting in a comfortable lounge with your luggage rather than camped outside your cabin door waiting for delivery.

I would be sure to ask about this in advance. Otherwise, the port security scanner people may insist that you go back and leave the larger bags with the porters -- adding an unnecessary delay to your boarding process.

Please don't take this the wrong way as it is not my intention to be rude but I find this more than a bit odd to be so controlling over delivery of luggage :confused:

If this kind of thing stresses your husband out so badly that he feel he has to "stand guard" until your luggage arrives, then maybe cruising is not for him.

I admire you for trying to have a good vacation but my own personal stress level could not handle dealing with this.

I do honestly hope you have a wonderful vacation.....I truly do!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

Also, please tell me you can keep your bags and walk off at Newark. If you can't, he will absolutely go out in the hallway and sleep laid across our bags until they pick them up...

Newark is the name of the actual airport - you won't be walking off there. Did you mean Bayonne, New Jersey? At Cape Liberty port?

PLEASE tell us, what ship are you sailing? This thread is 2 pages long and we still don't know. :);) This will help us give you ship-specific advice as the cruise lines may have different policies.

Shucks, if this is a big issue, just drag the bags with you up the gangplank and keep your fingers crossed. If they won't go through the scanner, maybe ask if they can be manually searched.

Sorry, no. This is not good advice. Why would they make an exception for two passengers? You cannot drag your big suitcases onboard. They simply don't have the means to do this.

OP's profile says she is from Texas if that helps ???

She also has not posted since May 18.... Thinking she is long gone after 6 posts :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

Hello, sorry I took so long to reply. I work very long hours on certain days in order to have more time all together over the weekends and am not able to post from work, though I did read.

We are taking a transatlantic cruise. I said "Newark" because I could not think of the name of the port near there off the top of my head and was much too lazy to look it up.

Yes, it is silly he's so uptight about our luggage, I agree. He's not normally an uptight person, he just has not done much travel and he seems to express his discomfort in some interesting ways. One of them is really keeping a watch on our belongings.

We will be arriving at the cruise boarding dock with the luggage we were allowed to carry on the plane with us as carry on luggage. Two 21" rolling suitcases and two plus one bags that fit under the seat in front of us. No big suitcases anywhere to be seen.

He isn't against us checking luggage, and we normally do so when we fly. We are just planning to travel around Europe some prior to the cruise. He doesn't want to have to drag any giant suitcases on the trains we are using for our travel within Europe. We have been before and know there are often only stairs or rough streets.

He isn't going to be bothered about the time when no one is allowed back near the cabins except ship's personnel. He isn't going to be trying to infiltrate or anything like that. Just as soon as it is allowed for anyone to go back there, I know he will immediately go back to sit and wait for the luggage. Assuming rooms are available by that time, I'm sure he'll just prop the door open and sit in the doorway. I'm not sure where people got the idea he's going to bother the stewards or rush into places people aren't allowed to go. He would never do such a thing. He is absolutely the most polite person I've ever met, bar none. He just would not want to see our things damaged or stolen.

Hello, sorry I took so long to reply. I work very long hours on certain days in order to have more time all together over the weekends and am not able to post from work, though I did read.

We are taking a transatlantic cruise. I said "Newark" because I could not think of the name of the port near there off the top of my head and was much too lazy to look it up.

Yes, it is silly he's so uptight about our luggage, I agree. He's not normally an uptight person, he just has not done much travel and he seems to express his discomfort in some interesting ways. One of them is really keeping a watch on our belongings.

We will be arriving at the cruise boarding dock with the luggage we were allowed to carry on the plane with us as carry on luggage. Two 21" rolling suitcases and two plus one bags that fit under the seat in front of us. No big suitcases anywhere to be seen.

He isn't against us checking luggage, and we normally do so when we fly. We are just planning to travel around Europe some prior to the cruise. He doesn't want to have to drag any giant suitcases on the trains we are using for our travel within Europe. We have been before and know there are often only stairs or rough streets.

He isn't going to be bothered about the time when no one is allowed back near the cabins except ship's personnel. He isn't going to be trying to infiltrate or anything like that. Just as soon as it is allowed for anyone to go back there, I know he will immediately go back to sit and wait for the luggage. Assuming rooms are available by that time, I'm sure he'll just prop the door open and sit in the doorway. I'm not sure where people got the idea he's going to bother the stewards or rush into places people aren't allowed to go. He would never do such a thing. He is absolutely the most polite person I've ever met, bar none. He just would not want to see our things damaged or stolen.

My reading of your luggage is 5 cases, all small enough to go thro' the detector as hand-luggage. In which case it's simplest to humour him & take it all aboard as hand-luggage & keep it with you in the public rooms until your cabin is available.

Five bits of luggage is gonna be a pain for him to lug around all by himself.

Yes - by himself. Cos you've got to promise us that humouring him doesn't include you sharing the luggage-hauling :D

JB :)

Yes - by himself. Cos you've got to promise us that humouring him doesn't include you sharing the luggage-hauling :D

Absolutely agree JB !

I have to say I do have a measure of admiration for the OP for pandering to DH's - foibles - in this way. I surely wouldn't have the patience to deal with something like this. There's no way I'd be helping him to drag five bags round a cruise ship in this way when it's completely unnecessary.

I'd be interested to know how this man copes when his luggage is left out on the apron (ramp) at an airport. This can often be for quite some time, in all kinds of weather.

How does he feel about the TSA having the right to open and search his luggage without him being present? Surely that should bother a person much more than the very random possibility that a case may have a drink spilled on it. A blue drink especially.;)

And does he realise that the detector dogs employed by border agencies will often run and jump all over checked bags at an airport, and dogs being dogs, they sometimes urinate on them? Is this not a problem for him, or is it just this very specific fear of someone on a cruise ship spilling a blue drink on his bags?

Which cruise line are you sailing with, OP?

I think my next goal in life will be to write a book and adapt all the characters and their stories from the boards....

In my head .... the story of the young boy who spilled his neon blue drink on his mom's formal gown and after the resulting chastisement will never let his luggage out of sight, and his sweet sweet wife who expands the story to acquaintances but tries to keep him in a positive light, but plans to theatrically burst a 2 liter bottle of Big Blue in his [now 5] pieces of luggage.

There are so many more

The book is going to be something like.... Thank Goodness I'm not married anymore!!!

My reading of your luggage is 5 cases, all small enough to go thro' the detector as hand-luggage. In which case it's simplest to humour him & take it all aboard as hand-luggage & keep it with you in the public rooms until your cabin is available.

Thank you for the giggle. I do like the way you think. :D

Also, to those who seem to have assumed my husband spilled the neon blue drink on the suitcases, sorry. It was not him, but a random fellow passenger on the cruise whom they never even met.

Also, no he doesn't have any unreasoable issues with airport baggage handlers. He knows sometimes they are careless, and we therefore only ever pack clothing in any checked bags. Normally when we plan to check a bag, he does insist we pack each outfit in a separate zip top gallon baggie to protect from elements and what have you. Even though our largest bag is hard-sided, it will leak at the zipper if enough liquid passes over it. And yup, he tested that with the garden hose in the back yard. He thinks it unlikely they'd steal from our checked bags because they have the incentive of keeping their jobs to prevent it, and especially so if we don't put anything particularly interesting in our checked bags.

Please stop listing things that might make him upset about them, though. He's been googling cruise information and might just happen on this post. Right now, his only travel issues involve concerns about our bags sitting in the hall unattended while other passengers walk past and trying to decide if the Paris museum passes are worth the money for a four day pass instead of two since we will only be there barely three days days prior to the cruise. I'm looking forward to a good time and don't need him to develop a new fusstication this close to our trip, thank you! :p

Honestly, I am a bit surprised myself the cruise line feels comfortable just leaving people's baggage lying around where anyone could open it and have a poke around in there. It seems like they might be held legally responsible for any theft? I guess if it is working well for them up to now, it must be fine enough, though. I assume if theft were common, they'd have changed the plan by now.

Also, to those who seem to have assumed my husband spilled the neon blue drink on the suitcases, sorry. It was not him, but a random fellow passenger on the cruise whom they never even met.

OK, so that's settled. To keep him happy, carry it all on & stack it alongside you in a comfy ship's bar. :)

If a passing passenger or steward carrying a trayful of blue curacao's then trips over your luggage & spills them all over you, your luggage, and your hubby .................................................

I will of course laugh like a drain :D :D :D

Have a great cruise

Edited by John Bull

Honestly, I am a bit surprised myself the cruise line feels comfortable just leaving people's baggage lying around where anyone could open it and have a poke around in there. It seems like they might be held legally responsible for any theft?

Seriously? Please lock your suitcases. Problem solved. There are always people in the corridors - theft is unlikely due to the sheer volume of traffic. Keep your medications and valuables (jewelry, electronics) with you in your carry ons, and lock your bigger suitcases. No one will be going in there to have a poke around.

What a fascinating thread....

Im all for travelling light but seriously double bagging your clothes and doing tests with the garden hose? This seems to be interfering with your husbands ability to enjoy his holiday. I seriously doubt anyone is lurking around waiting to steal your dirty laundry :-) And if they do...wheres the serious harm?!

Are you sure you can manage with that amount of luggage travelling round Europe with the unpredictable weather? Plus covering your cruise lines dress code? Hats of to you if so :-)

I assume you'll be choosing self disembarkation and carrying your bags off the ship yourself? Because what does your husband think will happen to your bags between the porter taking them and you collecting them? Theyll sit in a big luggage hall, waiting to be picked up. So if your in the last group to be debarked, your bags will have sat, unattended, while other passengers browse around looking for their luggage, for two or three hours.

Please find a way to nip this little foible in the bud before it grows out of control, and starts to spoil your holiday.....

Also, no he doesn't have any unreasoable issues with airport baggage handlers. He knows sometimes they are careless, and we therefore only ever pack clothing in any checked bags. Normally when we plan to check a bag, he does insist we pack each outfit in a separate zip top gallon baggie to protect from elements and what have you. Even though our largest bag is hard-sided, it will leak at the zipper if enough liquid passes over it. And yup, he tested that with the garden hose in the back yard. He thinks it unlikely they'd steal from our checked bags because they have the incentive of keeping their jobs to prevent it, and especially so if we don't put anything particularly interesting in our checked bags.

Please stop listing things that might make him upset about them, though. He's been googling cruise information and might just happen on this post. Right now, his only travel issues involve concerns about our bags sitting in the hall unattended while other passengers walk past and trying to decide if the Paris museum passes are worth the money for a four day pass instead of two since we will only be there barely three days days prior to the cruise. I'm looking forward to a good time and don't need him to develop a new fusstication this close to our trip, thank you! :p

Honestly, I am a bit surprised myself the cruise line feels comfortable just leaving people's baggage lying around where anyone could open it and have a poke around in there. It seems like they might be held legally responsible for any theft? I guess if it is working well for them up to now, it must be fine enough, though. I assume if theft were common, they'd have changed the plan by now.

I assume you lock your bags with TSA locks.. That generally takes care of them being rifled in the hall. (Of course, the "carry-on" bags you have are easier for a stranger "to carry off" .)

Nonetheless, there's the larger issue of hubby's behavior and you being subjected to it. One poster suggested taking the luggage with you to the bar. I suggest leaving hubby in the hall and heading to the bar by yourself since you'll probably need a drink.

And be aware that you may have similar issues down the road when you choose a cruise line that requires all passengers to have and surrender a passport, which you won't see again until you disembark. It doesn't sound like he'd be real comfortable with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess everyone has their own thing to be concerned about when it comes to luggage or anything else in life. I always carry on luggage after an incident where I had to race after a foreign passenger at an airport while my poor husband was waiting for our other suitcases and didn't know why I was running. This particular trip was a convention I was attending from work and my luggage included several formal, semi-formal outfits. For me it is not the cost or the valuables ( I am smart enough to carry those with me), but I am short, not pencil thin and not the type that likes rock star, have to wear what everyone else is wearing clothes and therefore I can't just go into any store and replace everything in a day.

So I am very glad to have a spouse that puts up with me when I have a little freak out about leaving my luggage as I will have to for our first cruise. And that's probably why we've been married for 40 years. He has patience for me and guess what, I have patience for some of his totally quirky ways as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm a bit surprised at how many people are trying to point out the error in OP's DH and the implication that there is something wrong with the OP for tolerating it. We all have our foibles and quirks and they aren't always rational.

I'm happy to have a husband that tolerates my obsessive travel planning, fear of bears and sharks, and absolute need to be at the airport early. It impacts him a few hours per year. I tolerate his occasional "make me want to strangle him" quirks as well because on the whole, we both feel very lucky to have found each other.

I don't know anything about the OP or her DH other than what she has posted, but I applaud her tolerance and the very respectful voice she uses when discussing DH.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm happy to have a husband that tolerates my obsessive travel planning, fear of bears and sharks, and absolute need to be at the airport early.

Don't get me started on partners who insist on getting to the airport super-early, especially when that means crawling out of bed at daft o'clock in the morning.

Wouldn't be so bad if we needed to allow for being delayed on the road to the airport by bears and sharks. ;)

Edited by John Bull

Um. I've never locked my bags before. Never had anything stolen or damaged, either. I always either keep all valuables with me or occasionally locked in a safe in my hotel room if there is one. By valuables, I generally mean my netbook. I don't travel with any expensive jewelry or electronics. All cash and credit cards stay with me at all times. I think maybe our suitcases came with TSA locks, but I probably threw them out. If the TSA can get in while I am not present either way, I couldn't see why locks were necessary? Either the bags are with me, or they are in the hands of TSA people who can open them despite the lock. Never did a cruise before this one. Do cruise lines require TSA locks or can I just put any lock on there? I think I have a couple of old padlocks.

Don't get me started on partners who insist on getting to the airport super-early, especially when that means crawling out of bed at daft o'clock in the morning.

Wouldn't be so bad if we needed to allow for being delayed on the road to the airport by bears and sharks. ;)

Ha ha that was so funny! I actually laughed out loud.

On a serious note, I am that kind of planner and worrier too and lately I have noticed I am not getting to the airport early enough!! My silly fear that my dh deals with is water. I know what you're thinking. ... but I think I will be ok! :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Cruise lines dont require you to lock your bags, TSA approved or otherwise - most of us just do it for our own peace of mind. Granted your valuables will be in your hand luggage, but it prevents anyone opening your bags for a sneaky rummage and stealing your favorite shoes. Plus they're insurance against an overloaded bag bursting open.

Its not compulsory but if you have locks and you know your partner is possessive about luggage - lock your bags! Just to make him feel better :-)

Unless you carry your own bags on and off they WILL be unattended sometime. You put them out on the last day and theyll be picked up whenever. Might be midnight, might be 3am, no way of telling. Plus theyll be sitting in the baggage hall until you reclaim them.

I've never heard the term daft o'clock, I love it!

Our flight leaves at 7:00 am, it's a 45 minute drive to the airport, another 15 for parking, and they want us there two hours before departure. DH has a doppelgänger who is on some do not fly list and always gets questioned so we've learned that we need to allow all the time we can. Daft o'clock it'll be.

But it just means we've started on our vacation journey sooner :D.

And you'll note I never said we actually fully tolerate each other's foibles gracefully ;), though we generally try. Hunger, fatigue, and delays like sharks and bears on the road (that might be our new term for construction) can quickly erode that at times.

DH only really gets grumpy about bears if I drag him out of the tent in the middle of the night to accompany me for a bio-break. But one time we did abandon the campsite because a mother bear and two cubs were just too close for comfort and weren't showing any signs of leaving.

Travel with just carry on! I travel with my 8 year old and my retired mother. We are doing a land (train) and sea adventure including an 8 night transatlantic, effectively around the world for two months with just carry on. This relieves all luggage stress but requires detailed packing planning and laundry! I get with the husband...he ain't gonna change his ways unless you are frequent frequent travellers, so I would change the demon (the luggage!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Travel with just carry on! I travel with my 8 year old and my retired mother. We are doing a land (train) and sea adventure including an 8 night transatlantic, effectively around the world for two months with just carry on. This relieves all luggage stress but requires detailed packing planning and laundry! I get with the husband...he ain't gonna change his ways unless you are frequent frequent travellers, so I would change the demon (the luggage!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really never thought I would enjoy travel with such minimal baggage, but the truth is the relief of not having to drag so much around is worth it. We are taking time to travel around Europe prior to our cruise and this will be our longest trip yet. I've picked out a coin laundry where you can sit across the street in the restaurant and watch your clothing tumble while you eat so that we can board the cruise with everything nice and clean.