How do You stay healthy?

Jane2357

I've just booked another 14 night cruise, only my second and I'm wondering if you have any tips or tricks for staying healthy while cruising besides WASH, WASH, WASH your hands?

My last 14 night cruise had 5 sea days - so plenty of down time and yet midway through I came down with a very nasty chest infection. I had taken my own antibiotics and took them with the ship Dr.'s approval but wasn't well for 2 weeks. :( I'm 56 and in decent shape, exercise, eat right but I think I was just worn down.

The next cruise only has 3 sea days, with 10 port days in a row :eek: and an international flight. Other than once agin bringing antibiotics, what precautions do you take to stay healthy during your cruise?

Drink a ton of water. Staying hydrated helps your body cleanse itself. I also use a saline flush in my sinuses every morning in the shower to get ride of accumulated gook.

Rest when you get tired. An afternoon nap does wonders. Stay in the fresh air as much as possible. Avoid elevators. One sneeze in there will make everyone around sick and the buttons can be nasty. Eat right and don't drink in excess. Smile and laugh a lot.

I use a knuckle for elevator buttons (or more often, take the stairs) and open the restroom door with the paper towel.

I do want to note that just because someone sneezes, it doesn't mean they are sick. Many of us who suffer through seasonal allergies sneeze but are perfectly healthy. I sneeze into my shirt or elbow, btw.

I try to stay away from crowded spaces like elevators, tender lines, lines in general.

I wash my hands and use hand towelettes often.

I keep my hands away from my face.

I also punch buttons with a knuckle and open doors with a tissue.

Antibiotics are unlikely to be of any use against the most common infectious agents: viruses. Getting plenty of sleep, keeping hydrated, washing hands effectively and often, avoiding to the extent possible surfaces touched by others, and, perhaps most important, keeping your hands away from your face, are your best bets.

The next cruise only has 3 sea days, with 10 port days in a row :eek: and an international flight. Other than once agin bringing antibiotics, what precautions do you take to stay healthy during your cruise?

Looking at your itinerary, IMHO, your greatest single risk is spending all that time on a plane (and the equally germy airports). Arm yourself with some travel-sized packets of Chlorox wipes, and use them on everything around you on the plane. You'll be shocked at how filthy they are when you are finished. :eek:

On the ship, washing your hands (yes, it's true) is the gold standard for beating back illness. And, although there is lots of controversy on the benefit/limitations of hand sanitizer, we do use it. I bring my own, and also use the Purell dispensers, around the ship. I also take a couple of travel-size cans of Lysol spray, and go over the cabin, upon check-in.

And, of course, as many others here have pointed out: just use your common sense: don't touch elevator buttons or stairwell railing, unless you absolutely have to, etc. Even then, there's no guarantee that you won't get sick -- but, you are lessening the odds. :cool:

Looking at your itinerary, IMHO, your greatest single risk is spending all that time on a plane (and the equally germy airports). Arm yourself with some travel-sized packets of Chlorox wipes, and use them on everything around you on the plane. You'll be shocked at how filthy they are when you are finished. :eek:

I agree with this. I read a study once (which I of course cannot lbocate now so take it for what it is worth!) that said the germiest thing on airplanes is the magazine that they provide in the seat back pocket. I now will not touch anything in the seat back pocket with my bare hands

I also have a problem with touching the menus on the cruise ship, and will not put them down on the table and freak out a little if the waiter does. I don't know if/when/how much they wipe those down, but I do not think anyone who wants to stay healthy should touch those without a tissue because it is those types of shared items that spread germs.

so it would not be too extreme to take my own salt and pepper grinders in my evening bag to the MDR and Lido?

I've been looking for [and maybe I can get help here] is gold bond lotion sanitizer. A lady at church had a purse size bottle clipped to a diaper bag - I can't find that, maybe I need to go to a baby store!!! It made my hands feel like I had used lotion. A few uses of normal sanitizer and my cuticles will be bleeding.

Hi Jane,

Of course washing your hands and keeping hydrated are very important but I'm just a little bit horrified that you bring your own antibiotics. To start with not all antibiotics work with every 'bug' you may get although I assume you are taking a broad spectrum antibiotic but and here is the thing, if you take antibiotics frequently enough the 'bugs' cease to respond to them. This typically happens when either people take antibiotics and don't finish the course or if they take them when their problem was viral which antibiotics can't help with.

It might help to take some probiotics. Only take antibiotics when you really really need them; your immune system should be able to work for you most of the time but if you do take them always finish the course.

I hope you have a happy, healthy cruise.

Hi Jane,

Of course washing your hands and keeping hydrated are very important but I'm just a little bit horrified that you bring your own antibiotics. To start with not all antibiotics work with every 'bug' you may get although I assume you are taking a broad spectrum antibiotic but and here is the thing, if you take antibiotics frequently enough the 'bugs' cease to respond to them. This typically happens when either people take antibiotics and don't finish the course or if they take them when their problem was viral which antibiotics can't help with.

It might help to take some probiotics. Only take antibiotics when you really really need them; your immune system should be able to work for you most of the time but if you do take them always finish the course.

I hope you have a happy, healthy cruise.

I hear what you are saying and I do not often take antibiotics - but I do get bronchitis easily and my Dr. does send me out to the country with meds on the "in case". This particular infection was not bronchitis and so I did not take the antibiotics without first seeing the ships Dr. Had I not already had them in my possession - she was going to prescribe then anyway.

I do take probiotics but I have a some auto immune issues so I try to be careful. We were in the middle of selling our home, building a new one, packing for that and the moving van coming 3 days after we got off the ship. Stress+worn out+ship activities = me becoming ill. Something I'd like to avoid this next time. :D

Not having any immune issues, I don't need to take precautions.

There's another reason for sneezing without being ill - it could be congenital. My father sneezed moderately often for no apparent reason, and so do I. We neither had any allergy issues.

Call me old fashioned but I think all the extremes of keeping clean and sanitized can lead to a weakened immune system. Of course wash your hands before and after food prep/coughing and eating but thats about it.

The best way to stay healthy is build up your immune system by eating right, taking supplements if desired and not sectioning yourself off from every breath and hand print/sneeze that is in your area.

My teaching procession means I work with little ones that likely hardly wash their hands, sneeze without covering their mouth and dribble over each other. My first year of teaching I had time off but since then my immune system is like an ox with the things that fly around.

In essence....a healthy regime and a bit of sniffle exposure is the key. ;)

Not having any immune issues, I don't need to take precautions.

There's another reason for sneezing without being ill - it could be congenital. My father sneezed moderately often for no apparent reason, and so do I. We neither had any allergy issues.

And one more: using snuff - the primary purpose of which (other than showing off a finely crafted snuff box) was to generate a strong sneeze.

First line of defense is hand washing, lots of water, enough rest, avoiding excess alcohol. In addition, we always carry Vitamin C tablets and zinc lozenges - at the very first sign of a scratchy throat or runny nose we really load up on them for several days. Some people will say that these don't work, but we know that they do work for us about 90% of the time.

We recently got back from a 31 day cruise and were really concerned abut getting the Noro on a cruise that long.

We brought a can of Lysol #3spray with us, and as soon as the steward opened up our cabin, we sprayed everything- handles, knobs, phones, TV remote, bathroom etc.

We always wash our hands, and especially at home. The only time we get colds is when we travel-recirculated air on planes, cramped elevators, etc.

As a result of our travels we have a collection of cold meds from Russia, Argentina, Chile, Germany and France.

Call me old fashioned but I think all the extremes of keeping clean and sanitized can lead to a weakened immune system. Of course wash your hands before and after food prep/coughing and eating but thats about it.

The best way to stay healthy is build up your immune system by eating right, taking supplements if desired and not sectioning yourself off from every breath and hand print/sneeze that is in your area.

My teaching procession means I work with little ones that likely hardly wash their hands, sneeze without covering their mouth and dribble over each other. My first year of teaching I had time off but since then my immune system is like an ox with the things that fly around.

This is an excellent point, it really is; this is how our bodies are designed to work. :)

Wouldn't above all else you wash hands thoroughly after using the toilet?

How does keeping clean weaken your immune system? And don't you think that effective efforts to reduce transmitting infectious agents from surfaces touched by the infected to yourself is a part of keeping healthy?

Frankly, I hope your teaching responsibilities do not include hygiene.

How does keeping clean weaken your immune system? And don't you think that effective efforts to reduce transmitting infectious agents from surfaces touched by the infected to yourself is a part of keeping healthy?

Frankly, I hope your teaching responsibilities do not include hygiene.

The point is that exposure to everyday 'dirt' positively strengthens our immune system. This is scientific, indisputable fact. Without this exposure our bodies can't properly develop their own defences which can leave us vulnerable to every 'bug' going, especially as we age. I believe Velvetwater was just trying to make the point that being too obsessively clean is counter productive in the fight against infection; as is the over or misuse of antibiotics.

The point is that exposure to everyday 'dirt' positively strengthens our immune system. This is scientific, indisputable fact. Without this exposure our bodies can't properly develop their own defences which can leave us vulnerable to every 'bug' going, especially as we age. I believe Velvetwater was just trying to make the point that being too obsessively clean is counter productive in the fight against infection; as is the over or misuse of antibiotics.

We are discussing staying healthy on a cruise ship - populated with people from all over, many of whom were recently on airplanes: an ideal situation for passing on viral infections. Frequent handWashing and trying to avoid touching contaminated surfaces is not obsessive in that context - it is simply common sense. The frequency of noro outbreaks on ships just shows the common sense necessity of adopting stricter than usual hygiene measures. A cruise ship is not the place to toughen your immune system by exposing it to whatever is out there.

Being confined with such a lot of people in airconditioned air causes a lot of problems. We spend as much time as possible in the fresh air.

We also find that keeping our room cold helps. We don't cruise in summer nor do we travel to the carribean or other hot climates.

We turn down the A/C and ask for extra blankets.

Took the words out of my mouth :), this is especially topical at the moment with the news articles and medical journals saying that many infections etc will be immune to antibiotics in the future and we could have a problem on our hands. We have NHS nurses that come to teach hygiene at our school and to be quite honest it is a parental responsibility to teach anyway.

The fact we are on a cruise ship makes no difference if you have been following the 'gung ho' advice beforehand since hopefully your immune system will be in good shape. I''m not saying go and a cruise ship and live like a slob. I am saying that if you are the less obsessive clean type theres probably a good chance you have a strong immune system before you board although nothing is guaranteed.

Ducklite, thanks for the reminder about the toilet hand washing as it slipped my mind...possibly because it is such a given.

Edited by Velvetwater