How Relaxed Is The Dress Code?

karinad

We're not new to cruising, but we're new to NCL. Do they allow jeans for men or longer shorts in the MDR or Specialty restaurants? What about polo shirts, sandals for men? I know us women could get away with more casual dress then men. We usually do tend to dress up more on a cruise then our casual restaurants around where we live. Our cruise is to the Caribbean and my dh would love to wear his longer shorts to dine with a decent top, no tank top.

I'd love to under-pack for once!:rolleyes:

Thanks!

yes you can wear shorts in the MDR.

From NCL's faq:

Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants

At Le Bistro, and at the aft "traditional atmosphere" main dining room (on the ships that have one) they request no shorts, tank tops or flip-flops.

At all other dining venues, on all days and nights, anything goes.

Every other cruise you have taken will seem way overdressed in retrospect.

Thank you for the answers and the link to the dress code. I don't plan on letting my dh show any armpit hair in the MDR and hope we don't see any! Jeans for men are pretty well accepted everywhere around where we live.

The MDR refused to allow men in tank tops. I know this as I was on the elevator with an irate passenger who had to go back to his cabin to change. Other than no tank tops it was pretty lax...but you would see everything. The women dressed much better than the men!

Edited by Granny DI

We're not new to cruising, but we're new to NCL. Do they allow jeans for men or longer shorts in the MDR or Specialty restaurants? What about polo shirts, sandals for men?

Yes, that should be fine. Mostly what they don't want to see is people in bathing suits or pajamas. Men are OK with polo shirts, longer shorts and sandals in the MDRs. Especially on a Bermuda trip... they're called "Bermuda shorts" for a reason!

I heard women can wear Capri pants and nice tops . That is my summer staple since I'm not a fan of shorts. My hubby is planing on shorts with a nice shirt or polo for dinner. He is bringing one dress outfit and I'm bringing a dress if we go to le Bistro and a dinner at Cagneys. Women can dress up anything with accessories, but I totally agree with not wanting to see arm pit hair while I'm eating, lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I heard women can wear Capri pants and nice tops . That is my summer staple since I'm not a fan of shorts. My hubby is planing on shorts with a nice shirt or polo for dinner. He is bringing one dress outfit and I'm bringing a dress if we go to le Bistro and a dinner at Cagneys. Women can dress up anything with accessories, but I totally agree with not wanting to see arm pit hair while I'm eating, lol

Yes, that should be fine. Mostly what they don't want to see is people in bathing suits or pajamas. Men are OK with polo shirts, longer shorts and sandals in the MDRs. Especially on a Bermuda trip... they're called "Bermuda shorts" for a reason!

Just to be clear, in the larger, more formal, Aft Dining room, and Le Bistro, NO shorts or sandals for men ( except on Embarkation Day ). Bermuda shorts ONLY if the guy also plans on wearing long knee socks and a blazer, Bermuda style. Shorts and sandals OK in any other dining room, including Cagneys.

You can wear shorts in the MDR at lunch and at Le Bistro before 5 pm. There were many men at the Jazz Brunch this past friday on the Jade in walking shorts and all week for breakfast and lunch on the days we went to the MDR shorts were allowed. After 5 and before 5 there are 2 different sets of rules.:)

One evening a few nights into the cruise my husband wore nice shorts to dinner at the aft MDR (the Grand Pacific on the Gem) and was politely asked to change into long pants. Not a problem, I like that the dress code is reasonable and enforced.

What amazed me was they were actually enforcing the "no shorts" rule in the aft MDR on the Jewel. They even went so far as stopping a guy who slipped by the hostess as he was walking to his table.

Out of curiosity, why is it okay for women to wear sandals, but not men? Having asked that, for the MDR, my husband wore a collared shirt and khaki's with sandals and there was never a problem.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

Out of curiosity, why is it okay for women to wear sandals, but not men? Having asked that, for the MDR, my husband wore a collared shirt and khaki's with sandals and there was never a problem.

Have you looked at some mens' feet? Snaggle-toe can be downright offensive and off-putting to the most ridged appetite.

We were just on the Getaway last month and ate at Le Bistro. I was wearing capris and they asked me to go back to cabin to change. I ate Le Bistro on the sky In capris with no problem. I guess it depends on the hostess.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

My husband owns a pair of more formal looking sandals that are enclosed toe with small side openings and fit and look like a shoe no open back and he has never had an issue at any of the restaurants including Le Bistro. I think it is because they look like shoes more than sandals is why he has never been questioned. He only wears his beloved Tevas during the daytime. He always carries a pair of dress shoes as well. How he only needs three pairs of shoes is still a mystery to me...LOL

Have you looked at some mens' feet? Snaggle-toe can be downright offensive and off-putting to the most ridged appetite.

That's not the reason.

I think the real reason is the definition of sandals. Women tend to wear nice open toed shoes, and men tend to wear stuff like flip-flops. I suspect if a woman showed up with ugly plastic pool shoes, or a guy with nice leather sandals with a mostly closed toe, it's woman who would be sent to change.

Last week on the Dawn, we observed a man sent out of the line into the Aqua restaurant for wearing a tank top. (DW was saying "I told you so".) Also, in both specialty restaurants and the free venues, men were told to take off their caps before entering.

We're not new to cruising, but we're new to NCL. Do they allow jeans for men or longer shorts in the MDR or Specialty restaurants? What about polo shirts, sandals for men? I know us women could get away with more casual dress then men. We usually do tend to dress up more on a cruise then our casual restaurants around where we live. Our cruise is to the Caribbean and my dh would love to wear his longer shorts to dine with a decent top, no tank top.

I'd love to under-pack for once!:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Haven't read other answers but here are the basic guidelines: there will be one MDR that is pretty much totally casual for both sexes: yes, jeans are fine and so are shorts for both men and women, no tank tops except in the buffet after 5pm. The only slightly more formal dress code is Le Bistro and the other MDR. otherwise you can go as you please.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Haven't read other answers but here are the basic guidelines: there will be one MDR that is pretty much totally casual for both sexes: yes, jeans are fine and so are shorts for both men and women, no tank tops except in the buffet after 5pm. The only slightly more formal dress code is Le Bistro and the other MDR. otherwise you can go as you please.

I agree except you can wear shorts in LeBistro and any MDR before 5. Many men were in shorts at the New Orlean's Brunch in Le Bistro this past Friday on the Jade and during breakfast and lunch in whichever MDR is open people where shorts.

Edited by Karysa

What amazed me was they were actually enforcing the "no shorts" rule in the aft MDR on the Jewel. They even went so far as stopping a guy who slipped by the hostess as he was walking to his table.

Why would that amaze you? It is the dress code. On 6 NCL cruises and I have never seen shorts allowed in the aft MDR at dinner.

We were just on the Getaway last month and ate at Le Bistro. I was wearing capris and they asked me to go back to cabin to change. I ate Le Bistro on the sky In capris with no problem. I guess it depends on the hostess.

Not doubting that this happened, but I have never seen capris not allowed on NCL. (Unless you are calling a Bermuda type short that falls just below the knee a capri.) The ones that fall calf length or longer certainly fit the definition of "pants" and some of them are quite dressy. There is no mention of any required length of pants in the dress code for women, and if they do not fall at the knee or ABOVE the knee, then they are not shorts. We did not eat at Le Bistro, but did eat in the Tropicana dining room. I'm sure I probably had on a shorter length pant. If it had been me, I would have been going "up the ladder". I don't think I even had pants with me on my last cruise that would fall at the ankle or below. Not many women wear those anymore.

Edited by punkincc

For the OP and others who may be new to NCL: Most ships have two MDRs. The larger, fancier one is typically in the back of the ship with big aft-facing windows and that's where the dress code is a bit more formal.

So if your husband wants to wear the longer shorts and sandals in the evening and that's not enough for the "fancy" MDR, you can go to the other, smaller MDR where they serve a nearly identical menu.