Solarium on RCL ships - question

I think Oasis and Allure are the worst for being humid in the solarium. At least on the Radiance class ships it is air conditioned in there. With the structure on the Oasis ships air conditioning is not possible and the partial covering seems to decrease air circulation and just traps the heat and humidity.

That must be why they installed the extra large pool in the Solarium on those ships, in order to cool off.:rolleyes:

Is the Solarium layout on the Voyager and Freedom classes considered partially-covered? It seems pretty wide open to me. Oasis class is partially-covered (and too hot!)

No, those are not covered at all. It's still called the Solarium on those ships, even though it technically isn't.

Just a question about the Solariums on RCL Ships. I know its Adults Only area.

is it just a simply area for adult only, like a bar? or is there more of Adult things that happen?

feedback please

If you're interested in (concerned about?) topless sunbathing, that's on the St. Tropez deck, not the solarium.

They will sometimes post a deck as the St. Tropez deck, but it's not on all ships, all the time. They had a St. Tropez deck on the Independence of the Seas last December, and I've seen one posted on the Majesty of the Seas. I think it depends on the crowd and where the ship is leaving from. If they get a lot of South Florida locals, Europeans, Brazilians, etc. they'll post the signs for the St. Tropez deck. If it's mostly red-state people, then probably not.

If you're interested in (concerned about?) topless sunbathing, that's on the St. Tropez deck, not the solarium.

They will sometimes post a deck as the St. Tropez deck, but it's not on all ships, all the time. They had a St. Tropez deck on the Independence of the Seas last December, and I've seen one posted on the Majesty of the Seas. I think it depends on the crowd and where the ship is leaving from. If they get a lot of South Florida locals, Europeans, Brazilians, etc. they'll post the signs for the St. Tropez deck. If it's mostly red-state people, then probably not.

Deck 13 forward is called the St. Tropez deck on all of the Voyager and Freedom class ships. The name does not change depending upon location of the ship, mix of passengers, or itinerary. What is allowed to go on up there is another story.

Have sailed many times on Radiance and Vision class and have never seen the roof retracted...but many times I wish they had as it can be very humid feeling on occasion...who actually makes this decision ?

Not sure who makes the decision but on those occasions when we have seen the roof open, it has become extremely hot and humid in the Solarium and we wished they would close it. It doesn't seem to happen often but we have seen it open on several cruises and we are frequent Radiance and occasional Vision class cruisers. When the roof is closed the AC deals quite well with any humidity and we find the solarium to be a welcome refuge when the outside temperatures are either very hot or cold. If you find the solarium too humid I suspect you will be even more uncomfortable outside on the pool deck or any outside deck.

Too many responses to quote you all but thanks to each of you for your replies. It will be our first time sailing with DDs and although they are well behaved (in public at least! LOL!) I will find an other quiet spot to read next to them when they will want to spend some time with their mama! :rolleyes:

They have travelled many times before but different kind of voyage, so on this first cruise it is important for my DH and I to teach them that rules should be respected when living on board with so many travellers.

Thanks again! :)

Too many responses to quote you all but thanks to each of you for your replies. It will be our first time sailing with DDs and although they are well behaved (in public at least! LOL!) I will find an other quiet spot to read next to them when they will want to spend some time with their mama! :rolleyes:

They have travelled many times before but different kind of voyage, so on this first cruise it is important for my DH and I to teach them that rules should be respected when living on board with so many travellers.

Nice response - I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise with your family. Lots of places to sit and read - you will find your favorite!

One point, many cruises ago we were seated with the staff captain and other officers for dinner. A lady at the table asked about the roof - he told us just to request - call the bridge or ask any pool attendant and it could be opened or closed.

...on this first cruise it is important for my DH and I to teach them that rules should be respected when living on board with so many travellers...

What a wonderful, respectful response. I'm sure your children will grow up to be fine adults with an example like you. By the way, the Viking Crown Lounge way up top is a lovely quiet spot early in the morning. As the morning goes on it starts to get a little busier and people will be gathering and talking, but if you are out and about early-ish, do check it out. :)

We really enjoyed the Solarium on the Enchantment in March.

How many ships have the Park Cafe in the Solarium? That was enjoyable.

All the Vision class ships (6) and Radiance, Brilliance, and Serenade.

Two personal observations from my own cruises.

1. Regarding public activities in the solarium, I have only seen it happen when there was bad weather and they moved the black and white party (which is something they do on N Europe cruises) from the pool deck to the solarium.

2. Regarding kids in the solarium, the signs all say 16 and over in the pool/hot tub. No signs about coming in and using the loungers, etc. At least the ships we've been on. On Vision where the solarium is at the back and not a thoroughfare to other parts of the ship, I think there may have been a sign saying pool area for adult use only at certain times, but the Sorrento's snack bar was in the solarium, so kids are in and out of there all day getting food.

3. As with most things RC, there may be something that is against the rules, but to stay out of conflict, they generally don't enforce said rule unless someone asks them to.

You rock. :D

What do you mean with "no children"? If I go there to read with my 2 teenage girls (who will also be reading) will they be considered to be child and ask to leave? They are 13 and 16 yo....

the 13 year old will NOT be allowed into the Solarium. minimum age is 16.

One of my favorite places to relax. My last 2 cruises (the Allure and the Explorer) they were enforcing the adults only area. I have raised 3 kids so it's nice to have a place to get away from the noise. We are so not into the belly flop contest and all of that.

:p

• 2 weeks later...

This is from the RCL site, specifically VOTS deck plans:

Solarium

The indoor/outdoor pool and lounge area can be covered during inclement weather by a huge glass roof.

Seems to me like a huge glass roof covers it always. Seems to me also like false advertising...Just sayin'

Solarium

The indoor/outdoor pool and lounge area can be covered during inclement weather by a huge glass roof.

Seems to me like a huge glass roof covers it always. Seems to me also like false advertising...Just sayin'

Maybe they are putting the glass roof on the Voyager Solarium during dry dock.;)

Solarium

Not really so much "false advertising" as it is simply further evidence of RCI's woeful record when it comes to proof-reading. What you have cited is just one of numerous errors that should have been caught before the materials went to print.:rolleyes:

For years the RCI website has said that Voyager class ships have a covered solarium. When will they finally catch it?

They are going to fix the website as soon as they finish on the other project they are working on:

when-pigs-fly-at-bush.jpg

On the Rhapsody last year, the sign on the glass door before entering the Solarium clearly said "only for aged 16 and over". You couldnt miss it. I was in there every day for over week over the Christmas period and never once saw a child/teen in the Solarium.

I have heard that in the event of poor weather, they sometimes open the Solarium up to families for a couple of hours a day.