Wheelchair or scuter rental.

Hello.

I am to go on the Independence of the seas in march 2015.

My health is not the very best with problems with walking.

Does anyone know if i can rent a wheelchair or a scuter somewhere like close to Fort Lauderdale cruiseport or on the ship for use on the ship? Or perhaps for me to use the whole time i am in Fort Lauderdale (3days before cruise) and on the ship?

Thank you for any info.

Balkongdame.

I don't have the links, but if you google Care Vacations or Special Needs at Sea, these companies rent chairs and scooters, and will deliver right to the ship and pick up after your cruise, so no fuss. There will be chairs available for embark and disembarkation.

Yes, those are the approved vendors and they will have the item in your cabin on arrival.

I have used them several times and they provide great service.

As for renting one IN Ft Lauderdale (which you could then take with you onto the ship) I am not sure, perhaps one of our Fla locals will know.....paging Blue Herons or Royalcruz.......

Generally all larger towns in the US have places that rent durable medical equipment.

We have used Special Needs at Sea many times. They will also deliver to your hotel room for an extra charge. We have had them do this in the past. To get to the port call for an accessible cab, almost all cab companies have at least one accessible cab. You drive the scooter into the back of the vehicle and they secure it down.

Edited by Havin'fun

We have used Special Needs at Sea many times. They will also deliver to your hotel room for an extra charge. We have had them do this in the past. To get to the port call for an accessible cab' date=' almost all cab companies have at least one accessible cab. You drive the scooter into the back of the vehicle and they secure it down.[/quote']

Good to know that they can also deliver to the hotel....thanks...

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

If you opt for a scooter, you will want to book an accessible cabin as they likely will not fit through the doorway of a regular one unless it is a suite. They cannot be left in the hallways.

Yes the wheel chair will fold, BUT it will likely NOT fit through the door of a regular cabin (it SHOULD fit through a Junior Suite or higher, and accessible cabins of course...

If you're able to get out and walk a bit, then you'll be able to fold the chair and get it in the cabin.

My mom used to use one (rental) and we could get through the doors of our JS cabins, but if we had a balcony, she just got out and walked in....

In the dining room, the wait staff will move it away from the table and bring it back when you're ready....

If you opt for a scooter, you will want to book an accessible cabin as they likely will not fit through the doorway of a regular one unless it is a suite. They cannot be left in the hallways.

What you stated is not 100% correct. The type of scooter needed by the individual will dictate whether it will fit through the doorway of a regularly cabin. Scooters are rented by weight capacity. Though an accessible cabin is easier with a mobility scooter it's only necessary if the person requires a full size , heavy duty or bariatric scooter.

The following scooters WILL fit through the doorway of a standard cruise cabin I know because I've done it many times.

http://www.Carevacations.com - Light Weight scooter and Mid-size scooter

http://www.Special Needs at Seas.com - Standard Scooter

What you stated is not 100% correct. The type of scooter needed by the individual will dictate whether it will fit through the doorway of a regularly cabin. Scooters are rented by weight capacity. Though an accessible cabin is easier with a mobility scooter it's only necessary if the person requires a full size , heavy duty or bariatric scooter.

The following scooters WILL fit through the doorway of a standard cruise cabin I know because I've done it many times.

http://www.Carevacations.com - Light Weight scooter and Mid-size scooter

http://www.Special Needs at Seas.com - Standard Scooter

That's why I said "likely". Hate to see them stuck with one that doesn't fit.

Another thing to remember is that you can not store a scooter or wheelchair in the hallway. With that in mind trying to maneuver in a non-accessible cabin with a scooter is darned near impossible. We have traveled with renting and taking my wife's scooter and have always gotten an accessible cabin.

I just priced up renting one for 2 future holidays 14nights in Florida then 12 nights on a med cruise. In the end I have just opted to buy a second hand one (6 months old) for £200leas than the cost of both rentals (thus I will have it for every holiday from now on. I will also be able to go with my husband when he walks the dog. :). The airlines have said that they can take them free of charge.

I think about $250 per week. If you cruise a lot, it's a better idea to purchase one of the ones that comes apart to travel. Depending on what you want, the

new ones are around $1000. As the person above stated, you can find used

ones at good prices.

Good News!

The rental scooters just fit through the doors of standard balcony cabins. I have had a scooter on at least one of all classes except for Oasis and Vision.

In the balcony cabins with the bed next to the balcony and larger sofa, the scooter can come through the door, there is enough room to turn is around and it settles well alongside the sofa in launch position.

Easy to charge here, you still have very good access in the cabin except access to the sofa. We do not feel it is a hardship at all to have it in the cabin.

I am not a fan of keeping it in the hallway, many do. I don't want to be in anyone's way out there. No biggie to ..... Um ...... Scoot into the cabin.

Celebrating our Anniversary on the Radiance in a few weeks. This time we have cabin 1100-corner Junior Suite. There will be plenty of room for the scooter in that cabin!

Edited by Donut23

Thanks everyone! So nice of you to answer me!

I can walk a little, so will not have any problem getting out of the wheelchair and onto a chair at meals etc.

I have decided to rent a wheelchair, as it will take less space in cabin. i will not try to store it in hallway! Only thing it sounds like it is pretty expensive, i might bring one from home, we get them for free here when needed.

Happy cruising!

I have a chair that we have taken on many cruises. It's easier boarding and

leaving. Before the wheelchair, we waited a long time for someone to come,

even though we had made previous requests for help embarking & debarking.

My parents used Special Needs at Sea for a wheelchair. It was delivered to the ship and picked up after they got off. They left it in the cabin and their room steward took care of it. So much easier than traveling with your own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you able to use a wheelchair without shoulder pain, or is someone able to push you? If not, you will need a scooter.

That's why I have a scooter. I have shoulder pain in both shoulders, and my DH is unable to push me because he only has one arm.

Just something to think about when deciding wheelchair vs scooter.

ok, I know this isn't a scooter question, but my sister will need a scooter, but what about her weight, do the airlines make you pay for two seats if your overweight - she really won't fit in that small seat. OR, should we consider first class, but to alaska that's probably expensive.

ok, I know this isn't a scooter question, but my sister will need a scooter, but what about her weight, do the airlines make you pay for two seats if your overweight - she really won't fit in that small seat. OR, should we consider first class, but to alaska that's probably expensive.

Airlines can require a person of "size" to book 2 airline seats. The general rule of thumb used is if the passengers encroaches upon any part of the neighboring seat and even more important that the seatbelt must be able to fit the person using only 1 seat belt extender.