Tuscan Garden, err Grill's new menu

Kevnzworld

Other than the rib eye we have enjoyed our meals in TG. Between two cruises we have dined there six times. Out of the specialty restaurants that we have tried on various lines, HAL's Pinnacle was by far the biggest disappointment. We tried it twice to see if the first time was a one off. It wasn't.

$25 is a reasonable price for an "upcharged" meal.

Similarly, The Pinnacle on HAL is only $29, and you can get great steaks there.

Celebrity on the other hand is nearly double for the same thing, or as it sounds with TUSCAN, an inferior thing.

Also, bear in mind that this is an "upgrade". By dining in a specialty restaurant, you are actually forgoing a MDR meal that you would have eaten.

I think $50 per head, plus tips which I know are included but you always want to give more plus drinks as they usually have there own wine list...seems VERY VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

It is expensive, but perhaps that's the optimum revenue/profit price point. Maybe there are enough on a ship who will pay that price, even if many won't. Those of us who cruise celebrity fairly often question how successful the price increase will be since on most cruises, the dining staff is walking around making people discount offers. I consider the $50 like a refundable airline seat....does anyone ever book that fare?

I do not understand why people call these restaurants "special"

Two years ago onboard Solstice about 200 of us on a galley tour were told by the Head Chef that the food in the "Specialty" restaurants is the same as the MDR. It may have been prepared a little differently and dressed up a little differently, but it is the same.

If you choose to pay $45 more for the same MDR food that's your choice. We no longer do so, but that's our choice

It is expensive, but perhaps that's the optimum revenue/profit price point. Maybe there are enough on a ship who will pay that price, even if many won't. Those of us who cruise celebrity fairly often question how successful the price increase will be since on most cruises, the dining staff is walking around making people discount offers. I consider the $50 like a refundable airline seat....does anyone ever book that fare?

You might be right. Celebrity need to make a profit somewhere if they are practically giving away cruises for as little as $599 per week.

I just wish the MDR would be of the high quality it used to be.

But of course, I realize that is a pipe dream.

The great thing about specialty restaurants is that we are not forced to go. If we think it is too expensive or the food isn't great, we don't have to eat there....it is all about choices!! And what is very expensive to one person, isn't expensive at all to another.

Thank you (again) for the still, small voice of reason.

We ate at Tuscan on the Eclipse and had a great meal, while once again enjoying a stunning view (we always go on an evening after leaving port) Strangely enough I never equate steak with Italian food so I tend to not order steak. The food was very good, service was excellent and it was worth whatever we paid. It was also very busy.

Once again, I feel the need to add that we eat at excellent restaurants around the world and know good food.

Agree...again.... EVERY X cruise I've been on since 2010 has offered special prices into Silk Harvest or Tuscan to people just "walking by" on their way to Blu.....in our case we've kept on moving to Blu.....

I know this... we won't ever book another Spec Rest prior to the cruise and if we happen to get one of those offers when walking by again then maybe we'll give them a chance....maybe......;):)

I do not understand why people call these restaurants "special"

Two years ago onboard Solstice about 200 of us on a galley tour were told by the Head Chef that the food in the "Specialty" restaurants is the same as the MDR. It may have been prepared a little differently and dressed up a little differently, but it is the same.

If you choose to pay $45 more for the same MDR food that's your choice. We no longer do so, but that's our choice

I think it is the atmosphere and service that makes them special. You are not dining with 1,000 other passengers and the service is much better, in my opinion.

I think it is the atmosphere and service that makes them special. You are not dining with 1,000 other passengers and the service is much better, in my opinion.

Agree with you on the atmosphere....disagree on the service. We have cruised Celebrity 9 times. I estimate we have eaten 20 times in those restaurants . I can count on one hand the number of times we were asked if we wanted pepper. Only when the restaurant is half empty does anyone come around to pour your wine without being asked. Often when ordering we initially only order our appetizers as often entrees arrive as the appetizers are being cleared. That's not very special.

However at the end of the day it's all about what works for you. We live just outside Philly and have access to many "Special" restaurants. Perhaps the people who enjoy the ship's restaurants do not have access to special restaurants at home.

Agree with you on the atmosphere....disagree on the service. We have cruised Celebrity 9 times. I estimate we have eaten 20 times in those restaurants . I can count on one hand the number of times we were asked if we wanted pepper. Only when the restaurant is half empty does anyone come around to pour your wine without being asked. Often when ordering we initially only order our appetizers as often entrees arrive as the appetizers are being cleared. That's not very special.

However at the end of the day it's all about what works for you. We live just outside Philly and have access to many "Special" restaurants. Perhaps the people who enjoy the ship's restaurants do not have access to special restaurants at home.

Don't think you can make that generalization, as many, many of the Celebrity cruises are well traveled and I'm sure have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world. I much prefer the "special" restaurants in New York to those in Philadelphia, but it's all about what works for you.

Don't think you can make that generalization, as many, many of the Celebrity cruises are well traveled and I'm sure have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world. I much prefer the "special" restaurants in New York to those in Philadelphia, but it's all about what works for you.

As a New Yorker, I preferred even the regular restaurants in NY to the special ones in Philadelphia, but my reference is Penn many many many years ago. Does Philadelphia now have better restaurants than Pagano's Pizza :) :)

Thank you (again) for the still, small voice of reason.

We ate at Tuscan on the Eclipse and had a great meal, while once again enjoying a stunning view (we always go on an evening after leaving port)

I was thinking about the view when I wanted to book Tuscan for the first night. I wouldn't order a steak there. I'm with you, I don't do steak at Italian places. I was looking at a risotto or gnocchi maybe a veal dish.

Do they have lovely italian wines? I am not impressed by what I read on our premium package.

There are great chef driven restaurants all over the country now. Quality might be uneven, but better than some sad chain like the aformentioned OG in the lead post. :)

I do not expect a Per Se or Le Bernardin on board a ship. I did have a meal like that a million years ago on the SS France and also the QEII. I would never expect that on Celebrity. I am cruising for the itinerary and tours, not some martini bar or special food. I expect it to be well made and edible.

Edited by LilMsFoodie

I do not expect a Per Se or Le Bernardin on board a ship. I did have a meal like that a million years ago on the SS France and also the QEII. I would never expect that on Celebrity. I am cruising for the itinerary and tours, not some martini bar or special food. I expect it to be well made and edible.

I love Le Bernardin and would go there every time I was in New York. My closest meal to 5 star dining while cruising has been on Crystal, Celebrity I don't think is or has ever been more than 4 stars, IMHO.

Glad we decided against Tuscan for our fall cruise on Reflection.. We enjoyed it on other ships but felt no need to repeat...already booked Lawn Club Grill....hope the beef is still good there b/c I usually order non-beef in blu but beef in LCG.....

agree with comment above that Silk Harvest was excellent!

Edited by hcat

We felt Tuscan in April was fine, we were on the fence with the new price increases though and had also noticed the little extras no longer being served. Also the bread was not as good as I remembered it.

But if what Kevin said is the new norm, the place is going to be empty.

I do have expectations of food quality. While I realize it is no longer 2004 food on most ships, please do not degrade it more and expect past passengers to feel the same excitement about Celebrity.

Once again, I feel the need to add that we eat at excellent restaurants around the world and know good food.

Fortunately, there are a number of folks around here that fall into that category, so don't feel like you're all alone in left field! ;)

I can hang with increased service charges in alternative restaurants as long as quality is maintained along with the price hikes. But too many reports of reduced quality along with simultaneous price increases won't cause us to make an about face turn and head back to the MDR, but instead take a little closer look at lines like Oceania, or a return to Crystal maybe sooner than we had originally expected. And we know what happens when people start looking elsewhere......

You might be right. Celebrity need to make a profit somewhere if they are practically giving away cruises for as little as $599 per week.

I just wish the MDR would be of the high quality it used to be.

But of course, I realize that is a pipe dream.

Ok, but we are paying a heck of a lot more than 599. I can see this if all the passengers paid that rate. But when the rates are averaged I think it is higher. If I am wrong maybe I am on the wrong line.

We purchased the 3 dinner package on an upcoming Solstice cruise -- our travelling mates have also done the same thing -- so four maybe five couples in all. They somehow look to us for travel advice and told them they do not have to feel obligated but this is what we are doing and they are free to join us.

We booked this package quite some time ago at the same time as we booked the one on the Century, which only has the one specialty restaurant, Muranos. While we really enjoyed the lobster Murano as well as the lobster bisque, I think the other items on the menu were just ok if not awful. My DH tried the lamb one night instead of the lobster -- said it was the worst piece of meat he has ever had. I urged him to say something but he just wasn't that hungry or interested in complaining about it. They have to know these things, though. I am getting a bit worried about talking our travelling buddies into booking the specialty restaurants, now. The Tuscan Grill will be our first one and loved, loved, loved it last time out on the Solstice....although we had a special John Howie prepared meal in there at the time. We were really looking forward to trying 3 different restaurants on this cruise, but if what everyone is saying is true, did we make a mistake by booking the dining package?

Is there anything there that is recommended. Lucky for me, I don't eat red meat -- but I was under the impression that the Tuscan Grill was a steakhouse and now am hearing the steak is awful. I guess there is still time for us all to cancel but really don't want to do that.

I also arranged this cruise for the entire group so they are counting on me to know my stuff. Sometimes I regret that if the product isn't all I have made it out to be. I also hear that the classic beverage package choices are cut down -- hugely according to some. I just don't want to hear "what did you get us into"? It is not an inexpensive cruise and don't want to regret talking others into the extras.

One thing I can say, I don't think they can do anything to ruin that most amazing coffee at Al Bacio. Yum Yum!! Hope they don't change to the coffee syrup like Princess has on their ships....that is just disgusting!!

:confused:

You don't say how soon you are cruising on Solstice. If the same chef is on your cruise as was on ours Apr 28, I don't think you have to worry. We had eaten in Blu on the last 3 cruises so we were worried about the MDR food (based on the recent posts here). We found the MDR food better than what we'd had years ago. We were in Select Dining and near the end of the cruise we happened to get a table in Adil's section. He was outstanding. We had made a reservation for TG and could only get the last night of the cruise. When we found the MDR food so much better than we anticipated, we cancelled our reservation at TG. We have previously enjoyed Tuscan on Equinox and went twice on the same cruise. However, the second time DH sent back his steak but everything else was great. Someone on our cruise reported that Tuscan was wonderful. I hope this helps and that you enjoy your cruise, especially the food!

Just wanted to mention that we never pay $599 for our cruises...started with balcs...then CC humps and since AQ came out...that's what we book

times may be tight for profit margins...but we do not believe we are booking a no frills vacation. Hoping Celebrity will "exceed expectations " as advertised so if I am served an inferior meal it will be going back to the chef...

Edited by hcat

I do have expectations of food quality. While I realize it is no longer 2004 food on most ships, please do not degrade it more and expect past passengers to feel the same excitement about Celebrity.

Quite frankly I really don't care what past passengers feel, or felt, about Celebrity. 2004 is in the past. I care about me and what my experience is now in 2014...and it is just fine. Please do not denigrate that.

....and I merely added the bit about eating at good restaurants in my first post, to pre-empt the posters who would assume that my usual level of dining is just below that Applebees.

Quite frankly I really don't care what past passengers feel, or felt, about Celebrity. 2004 is in the past. I care about me and what my experience is now in 2014...and it is just fine. Please do not denigrate that.

....and I merely added the bit about eating at good restaurants in my first post, to pre-empt the posters who would assume that my usual level of dining is just below that Applebees.

Well I DO care about what other passengers feel, because it is important to hear both positive and negative feedback to allow some of us to determine which course of action we wish to take. I personally appreciate hearing everyone's input, and now I know I can save $90 per evening not dining in Tuscan with its mediocre food Thanks, Kevin. Appreciate your valuable feedback ;)

I appreciate the comments here as I was planning to book Tuscan for our first night on board the Solstice. Is it possible this poor food is the chef and Solstice might still be good? Just dreaming I guess. We have AQ1 so we will do that I guess.

Olive Garden is a pox on italian food. Just grotesque portions for the overweight judging by those lined up in front in my town. AYCE overcooked pasta..yuck. I was looking to a great veal chop and maybe a brunello to go with. Think I'll go scour the ship reports for specifics on Solstice.

Maybe try to remember that we are all people who deserve respect, no matter what our weight is.... (Or our taste in restaurants)

Edited by elisemburton

Well I DO care about what other passengers feel, because it is important to hear both positive and negative feedback to allow some of us to determine which course of action we wish to take. I personally appreciate hearing everyone's input, and now I know I can save $90 per evening not dining in Tuscan with its mediocre food Thanks, Kevin. Appreciate your valuable feedback ;)

The problem with opinions is that you don't know what the persons perspective/expectation is. While I don't doubt the OP feels strongly about what they posted, my experience in Tuscan has been fantastic on every cruise and I'll definitely be booking it again for my upcoming cruise on the Connie. Friends who sailed on the Silhouette in March also raved about the meal. The only thing I'll take away from this thread is to definitely NOT order the ribeye :p

To those that have recently sailed I have a question about price. I can't recall what the cost was last year but I see I can pre-book it on the Connie for $35 a night which seems lower than people are saying the current price is. There is no mention of a discount by pre-booking. Are the M-Class Tuscan prices less than the S-Class?

As a New Yorker, I preferred even the regular restaurants in NY to the special ones in Philadelphia, but my reference is Penn many many many years ago. Does Philadelphia now have better restaurants than Pagano's Pizza :) :)

ghstudio -

Are you a Penn grad?

I remember going to Pagano's in the mid 70's with my DW of 35 years for a "snack" of spaghetti.

Yes, Philly has better restaurants than Pagano's - it did even 40 years ago.

Ever go to Bookbinders? Over priced but good food :)

Holy cow...this and some of the other recent threads is making me really wonder about our cruise choice. This is our first time on Celebrity. I talked it up to the husband and said this was a step up from Royal food-wise. We generally eat almost exclusively in the specialty restaurants on Royal and NCL and have had some very memorable outstanding meals. One or two nights max in the MDR. Was really looking forward to some great dining on Silhouette. What have I gotten us into??