Kids scooters on board

Gilly's Daughter

Hi All

Does anyone know if I am able to bring my children's scooters on board - not for use on deck but to use in the ports when we are off ship. They can go so much further on them before tiring then they can just walking.

We are on the Emerald next week and the children are 8, 6 and 4

Many thanks

Leanne

That's a good question. I'm guessing, but I think you can give it to the stevedores when you drop off your luggage. Put a luggage tag on it and make sure it's in the collapsed, locked position and it should be okay. You can ask the stevedores when dropping off your baggage but they don't work for the cruise line, so they probably won't know the rules or care what you bring.

Obviously as you stated, you'll have to make sure she doesn't use it onboard.

That's a good question. I'm guessing, but I think you can give it to the stevedores when you drop off your luggage. Put a luggage tag on it and make sure it's in the collapsed, locked position and it should be okay. You can ask the stevedores when dropping off your baggage but they don't work for the cruise line, so they probably won't know the rules or care what you bring.

Obviously as you stated, you'll have to make sure she doesn't use it onboard.

Children on scooters around the open decks onboard? Not a fast a clays, but still good sport.;)

Edited by PORT ROYAL

It may be a good idea to check with Princess.

If you don't mind packing up the three scooters and going through security with them, I guess they could be a help to your children on land.

It may be tempting to them to ride the scooters on the decks and the cabin passageways.

Diligent parenting on your part will have to tame that temptation!

Also,keep in mind that the sidewalks (or lack of them) in different ports may not be condusive to safe use of the scooters.

Seems that you have a few things to consider.

Hi All

Does anyone know if I am able to bring my children's scooters on board - not for use on deck but to use in the ports when we are off ship. They can go so much further on them before tiring then they can just walking.

We are on the Emerald next week and the children are 8' date=' 6 and 4

Many thanks

Leanne[/quote']

A couple years ago our grandson left his skateboard at our house in So CA...since we were taking a cruise that stopped in Astoria Oregon (where we were meeting our kids/grandsons), we took the skateboard along to give to him...upon check-in the skateboard was taken from us and then we had to go to security to pick it up the evening before arriving in Astoria. So based on this, I doubt your kids can bring scooters on board the ship...but you can call Princess and ask!! :)

Children on scooters around the open decks onboard? Not a fast a clays, but still good sport.;)

LOL!!! :D

I wonder how many people "get" it.

With a big grin, I can see it now! LOL

The problem with calling Princess is that the OP will probably get a different answer every time he/she calls.

I think it's better to ask in WRITING and get a written response from them. That way, if they approve it, you have it in writing and can show anyone who questions it.

First I would check destination port rules. Off the top of my head, I can't remember ever seeing locals on scooters. Maybe safety issue with asphalt, concrete, or other walking terrain. All that being said, scooters would be problematic going into restaurants, shops, and other venues. They may be of interest to thieves and trust me a melt down over a stolen scooter will not be pleasant.

I can see any cruise line holding them until end of cruise due to the resourcefulness of children to play or ride them when they are not suppose to. As a parent to 3 teenagers, you will be amazed at the things our children do when we bet our children would never be so silly or rebellious.

Lots of opinions here, but the OP only asked about whether Princess would allow it, not whether it was advisable in the ports (I'm sure that they would use parental judgment for that). Princess would have no issue with them if they were brought on, folded as luggage, and probably not even if they were walked on board.

We see people bring on bicycles at least once a year, and last year a lady with a disability used a Segway. Her husband had to push it up the gangway and while on the ship, but once off the ship, she was free to do what was best for her. She said she had cruised with it all around the world, and it was the best way for her to get around in port. And she was using it on sidewalks that were sketchy at best.

My daughter and family bring roller blades with them to use in the ports. They have never had any issues. but I admit roller blades are much smaller then scooters. I would ask Princess in a written question, not a phone call.

Lots of opinions here, but the OP only asked about whether Princess would allow it, not whether it was advisable in the ports (I'm sure that they would use parental judgment for that). .

Only mentioned it in that if they did Princess excursions or even private excursions, there may not be a place to keep them safe when entering buildings, etc... Just wanted parents to make sure they thought of that.

My daughter and family bring roller blades with them to use in the ports. They have never had any issues. but I admit roller blades are much smaller then scooters. I would ask Princess in a written question, not a phone call.

When our kids were younger they did make shoes with pop out wheels in them....wonder if they still do.......

When our kids were younger they did make shoes with pop out wheels in them....wonder if they still do.......

They're called "Heelies" and there were a few times I would have gladly strangled the little darlings wearing them as skates in grocery stores and nearly knocking me over.

Yes, they do. I thought they were called "Wheelies" but maybe it is "Heelies". I often see kids using them in Costco because it's perfect for them - nice, flat, smooth - and it looks like FUN!

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Many schools around here ban them so I've never gotten them for my girl (I'm not about to buy her separate pairs of shoes so she can have those).

Many schools around here ban them so I've never gotten them for my girl (I'm not about to buy her separate pairs of shoes so she can have those).

Our kids got them from an aunt; DD snuck them to school needless to say they got banned from her feet for quite a while.

Yes, they do. I thought they were called "Wheelies" but maybe it is "Heelies". I often see kids using them in Costco because it's perfect for them - nice, flat, smooth - and it looks like FUN!

I just did a Google and it's "Heelys.":)