LOVED my Oosty cruise; won't book HAL again

pcur

I wouldn't make blanket statements like that. We are in our young 50's and always get up early while cruising. I would characterize the wake-up early crowd as being more active and physically fit, rather than young or old.

The early traditional dinner seating is also much too early for us, so we take late seating. What is the problem? And why would one make disparaging remarks about the early seating? The truth is that the early traditional dinner seating fills up faster than the late seating.

igraf

Actually, "early" dining on our upcoming cruise as well as on was the ONLY seating open. Should tell the line something about something:rolleyes:

As I noted, my comments are personal experience re our friends and relatives. I wasn't trying to disparage the cruiseline. Just questioning and pointing out if HAL wants to change an "assumed" image of their ships and clientele, decisions re dining options, timing, entertainment options etc might be updated.

We have enjoyed the cruises on HAL, mainly for their interesting itineraries. But for other experiences, we will choose other lines.

So many HAL regulars here have to try to convince newbies not to be afraid of HAL. All those... "Will I be too young for HAL?" That is a PR nightmare for the line and there are ways they can address and change that....IF they want to.

Of course every line has its pros and cons, and the image they project. Since we aren't attached to one line, we see things realistically.

Edited by eandj

Most people/family I know who are younger than me (early 60's) stay up later, like to eat dinner late and sleep in later and have a late large breakfast to forego lunch. If what I see is typical, then HAL is indeed catering again to an older demographic. If they want to shake that image, adjusting to the "young and the hungry" with extended hours would be helpful. ;) They have moved early traditional dining to ridiculous for us...looks like " early senior specials" at Denny's.

I have always been an early bird, even when I want to do late night things. So I stay up to enjoy them, but my body keeps its schedule. No matter when I go to bed, the longest I am able to sleep in is 7:00 and that's unusual. So I understand OP's issue, if the schedule doesn't work for you it takes away some of the enjoyment. I like the open dining because then the meals are scheduled around activities.

I wouldn't knock the "early senior specials" so much. They allow a lot of us to eat a smaller meal without wasting as much food, and to not go to bed on a full stomach. I'm glad we're not all the same.

Trish

Actually, "early" dining on our upcoming cruise as well as on was the ONLY seating open. Should tell the line something about something:rolleyes:

As I noted, my comments are personal experience re our friends and relatives. I wasn't trying to disparage the cruiseline. Just questioning and pointing out if HAL wants to change an "assumed" image of their ships and clientele, decisions re dining options, timing, entertainment options etc might be updated.

We have enjoyed the cruises on HAL, mainly for their interesting itineraries. But for other experiences, we will choose other lines.

So many HAL regulars here have to try to convince newbies not to be afraid of HAL. All those... "Will I be too young for HAL?" That is a PR nightmare for the line and there are ways they can address and change that....IF they want to.

Of course every line has its pros and cons, and the image they project. Since we aren't attached to one line, we see things realistically.

It's very unusual to have only early traditional open. I wonder if there was a large group taking the other spots. As far a convincing people to go with HAL I don't entertain threads like that. People need to do their homework. If they need convincing I think that should be Hals job.

I wouldn't knock the "early senior specials" so much.

Trish

LOL The problem is the "early Senior/bird specials" term sets a picture that is used in jokes, greeting cards etc. My comment was just to say there is no reason that HAL has to make early tradtional dining 5:30. And sometimes 5:15.

If they want to offer choices that fall in line with other lines, either the 6 and 8 or 5:30, 6 and 8 choices ...they could.

Edited by eandj

We have been on eight HAL cruises and the early traditional dinners always fills up faster than the late seating. We tend to book late, no more than three months before a cruise, and the usual situation is that the early traditional seating is already wait listed.

As far as breakfast goes, we eat a large breakfast only on port days when we will be too busy for lunch. Otherwise , we have no desire to eat a late large breakfast as that simply causes us to forgo lunch.

I for one think that HAL is doing it just right considering all factors, and I do have some sympathy for the dining staff. I am willing to allow them a little cleanup and preparation time between meals.

igraf

I realize that... however they've usually had time to adjust to these types of things. Mine are rather sudden and quickly created issues that I haven't adapted to yet. I was healthy as a horse and fairly fit until I got cancer. This is my first time traveling with mobility issues and the dietary issues only started a few weeks ago. I'm still trying to figure out what foods taste right as well, things I used to love can taste horrible to me these days. We went to a higher end restaurant a few weeks ago and I had to send back a plate of food I know I should have liked (scallops) because it tasted bitter to me. I never know what is going to cause me to throw up as well, it so far appears to be random. I'm clearly not adjusted even at home yet since I continue to lose weight when I'm not supposed to.

>SNIP<

I urge you to arrange for a nutritional consultation through whatever health care organization is treating your cancer. I remember (quite vaguely) that there were a number of things we did for my DH to increase the calorie count of things, simple things like adding skim milk powder to mashed potatoes, at the direction of the health unit that had primary responsibility for his care. There was also a powder of some sort (cannot remember the name) that increased the cal count in soups, juices, etc.

A nutritional consultation might also help you identify a basic diet that, even with chemo side effects, would be manageable.

I assure you that you are not the only person who has had to cope with dramatic changes in taste and palatability (sp?).

Sherilyn,

My tastebuds never went back and I can taste every chemical (artificial ingredient) in everything so I tend to eat quite bland (for others) food because it tastes better to me. It took time to work this through though and it was a process of change. I used to enjoy wine and now I don't drink it as it all, no matter how expensive, tastes like vinegar. That's just how it is.

I hope you find what works for you and you enjoy the cruise. That itinerary is on my list!

Eek I never even thought about the wine. I very well may have the same issue based on things I've noticed. Ah well, guess I'll have to stick to whiskey instead. :D I don't normally indulge in drinking but the cruise was one place I had planned to.

I'm on meds for life so I don't ever expect to return to normal. I just hope that we figure out a way to stop me from getting sick when I eat. We're checking into alternatives for my thyroid (another complication of taking the inhibitor, votrient) to see if that eases things up for me. I won't be taking either of those meds on the cruise (with doctors full permission) so that will be a good time to see if they are the source.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I will admit to being grumpy right away - haven't had my coffee yet - but could we get back to the intent of the thread and cruising topics - this is beginning to sound like a medical forum with too much info.:( I sympathise, but one more point - Canada border agents have a habit of turning people back that have health issues in case they end up costing us money!

Edited by Marco's Tia

I, too, am an early bird. I get up around 6:30 - 7:00 no matter where I am. It's my "me" time: I go for my long walk, and then eat a very light breakfast. At home it's my computer time, and sewing if I have a project going.

I've adjusted my eating scheule the rest of the day so I can eat with TLOML, so late dinner doesn't bother me.

One poster here mentioned the breaks in the Lido between meals. It's just that on RCCL there is continuous service, with a small break between afternoon snack and dinner. I just wonder why HAL cannot do this, too.

I have. My main meal of the day is now lunch instead of dinner. It really helps to keep my weight in check. The late big dinner on our cruises is not very healthy.

igraf

Yeah, I'm sure all of Europe and South America will listen and change their traditions immediately. :cool:

I sympathise' date=' but one more point - Canada border agents have a habit of turning people back that have health issues in case they end up costing us money![/quote']

Lol, I have to say that is one of the silliest things I have ever heard. I'm at no higher risk of a medical emergency than you are. Have you ever knownanyone with cancer? If I get hurt I might bleed more and need a pint of blood but nothing more. My heart and other organs are perfectly healthy. I just have tumors in me and take an inhibitor that causes major stomach issues and exhaustion. My white blood cell counts are normal since I'm not on chemo or getting radiation. As for insurance, well that's what travel coverage is for and also my regular health policy. A person with heart issues is far more likely to need emergency medical assistance.

I'm not bothered by Sherilyn's post. It helps some people to talk openly about their ailments and I think she has enough going on in her life without other posters having a pop at her. Scroll past if it bothers you.

Some people here are sooooo mean.

----is there a scale in the spa that one can "check in" on at intervals. Someone told me people gain 3-5 lbs a week on cruises. Need to figure out how often to trot around the promenade deck since I know the meals-whenever/wherever will be good...and will be on ship for 4 weeks. Thank you--

----is there a scale in the spa that one can "check in" on at intervals. Someone told me people gain 3-5 lbs a week on cruises. Need to figure out how often to trot around the promenade deck since I know the meals-whenever/wherever will be good...and will be on ship for 4 weeks. Thank you--

Some will, some won't, so what? You're on holiday - enjoy:D:D

Edited by chrispb

There was one in the spa/exercise area last time I was on a ship (struggling to remember where it was - I think in the exercise area).

There is also one in the Medical Centre.

I haven't gained 3-5 pounds per week on a cruise. If you are walking, exercising and eating with moderation, I don't think there is any issue.

It has been my family's experience that the more we cruise, the less likely we are to gain weight in any particular trip.

I think we have become accustomed to the available goodies and have our favorites, but don't feel the need to "sample" as much as we used to.

The increased physical activity also helps.

There are also a huge variety of healthier foods available.

Getting back to the original theme: it is interesting to hear someone say, in one sentence, that they loved an experience, but will never again have anything to do with the line that provided it. Just perhaps people who see a lot of good in something but find one detail not to their liking might broaden their horizons.

The idea of putting meal times at the top of the list of "have to haves" - outweighing everything else that is "loved" - possibly suggests a lack of flexibility - which I find hard to understand - especially if one may very well be adjusting the old body clock anyway to adapt to different time zones, activities of interest, etc.

Getting back to the original theme: it is interesting to hear someone say, in one sentence, that they loved an experience, but will never again have anything to do with the line that provided it. Just perhaps people who see a lot of good in something but find one detail not to their liking might broaden their horizons.

The idea of putting meal times at the top of the list of "have to haves" - outweighing everything else that is "loved" - possibly suggests a lack of flexibility - which I find hard to understand - especially if one may very well be adjusting the old body clock anyway to adapt to different time zones, activities of interest, etc.

I completely understand where they are coming from. Everyone has different ideas of what they enjoy in vacation. For me at least 25% is food, sometimes more. I have planned many a vacation around places I wanted dine (Philadelphia, Las Vegas, etc). If I cannot eat in a way that satisfies me it will be a deal breaker as well. Some people eat too live and others live to eat, I'm a live to eat person. I enjoy being served and also exploring new combinations and food I might not have seen before. The other weekend we went to Cleveland with only one agenda, foods from a well known hot dog place and Lola's by Michael Symon. Everything else was negotiable. The trip could be percent in all other aspects, but if the food let's me down I'm going to move on to another company.

Edited by sherilyn70

Yes, it sounds contradictory, but there was a deal-killer on this cruise.

My husband loves to sleep late, and HAL compresses the dining hours to the point that he gets no hot breakfast, and we have to eat dinner earlier than we want, too.

We are accustomed to RCCL (40 years with them), and they serve breakfast in the buffet up to 11:30AM, then immediately start lunch selections. On the Oosterdam there was a 1.5 hour break between the hot breakfast that ended at 10AM, and some of the lunch items starting at 11:30AM. That 1.5 hours is exactly when he wants to eat late breakfast/brunch.

Dinner is 8 -9PM in the dining room, and we don't want to pay extra to go to a specialty restuarant every night to eat later. We like to have dinner at 8:30PM.

Otherwise, the service was exceptional, the food excellent, and the crew amazing! Sigh.....wish we could just get fed when we want.

I put it on my comment survey, but if it's working for them, why change it?

What about the option to breakfast in your cabin? HAL has one of the largest hot breakfast choices I've seen on a room service menu.

Edited by NMLady

This thread was driving me nuts, so I pulled out two "on location" guides from our Zuiderdam cruise Feb/March. I discovered some minor "eating" hour differences depending on "sea day" or "port day." I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the "food not available" comment.

SEA DAYS:

• Lido Con't Bkfst 6:30am to 11:00am
  • Lido Full Bkfst 7:00am to 10:30am
  • Vista DR Bkfst 8:00am to 9:30am

• Lido Bistro 11:30am to 2:00pm
  • Lido Deli 11:30am to 5:00pm
  • Lido Terrace Grill 11:30am to 6:00pm
  • Vista DR Lunch 12:00n to 1:00pm

• Vista DR Dinner Open Seating 5:15pm to 9:00pm (fixed 5:30/7:45pm)
  • Lido Casual Dinner 5:30pm to 8:00pm

• Lido Late Night Snack 11:00pm to 12:00m

PORT DAYS:

• Lido Con't Bkfst 5:30am to 10:30am
  • Lido Full Bkfst 5:30am to 10:00am
  • Vista DR Bkfst 7:30am to 9:00am

• Vista DR Lunch closed

I guess the bottom line is the OP and her DH wanted to eat breakfast between 10:30am and 11:30am, and wanted dinner after 9:00pm and that's why they will not be booking another HAL cruise?

Just curious, OP did you request a table for Open Seating for 8:30pm? Did the DRM say why you could not dine at that time? Did they he/she specifically say "be here no later than 8:00pm or you can't come in?"

Happy Cruising and hopefully you will find another cruise line that has longer food availability times.

This thread was driving me nuts, so I pulled out two "on location" guides from our Zuiderdam cruise Feb/March. I discovered some minor "eating" hour differences depending on "sea day" or "port day." I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the "food not available" comment.

SEA DAYS:

PORT DAYS:

• Vista DR Lunch closed

I guess the bottom line is the OP and her DH wanted to eat breakfast between 10:30am and 11:30am, and wanted dinner after 9:00pm and that's why they will not be booking another HAL cruise?

Just curious, OP did you request a table for Open Seating for 8:30pm? Did the DRM say why you could not dine at that time? Did they he/she specifically say "be here no later than 8:00pm or you can't come in?"

Happy Cruising and hopefully you will find another cruise line that has longer food availability times.

The OP wanted a reservation and they would only take it until 8. I'm guessing it would have been easy to get a table for 2 at close to 9 with no problems.

I agree with you. I'm a real picky eater and worry about what I'm going to eat and where I'll eat all the time. but even I don't put food at the top of my list when cruising. Seems the ship and itineraries would be the most important. Your tummy can adjust for a few days :confused:, however to each their own and if it is important and will affect your cruise, well so be it.

SEA DAYS:

PORT DAYS:

• Vista DR Lunch closed

So, between 6:30 am and about midnight there are maybe 3 hours without food in a public dining area,but available around the clock with room service. Wow I can certainly see how that inconvenience would weigh completely and totally against a cruise that one spouse described as lovely but the other spouse found intolerable. My question since this conversation started....how did spouse W convince spouse H to even consider trying what spouse W wanted to do?