LOVED my Oosty cruise; won't book HAL again

pcur

Yes, it sounds contradictory, but there was a deal-killer on this cruise.

My husband loves to sleep late, and HAL compresses the dining hours to the point that he gets no hot breakfast, and we have to eat dinner earlier than we want, too.

We are accustomed to RCCL (40 years with them), and they serve breakfast in the buffet up to 11:30AM, then immediately start lunch selections. On the Oosterdam there was a 1.5 hour break between the hot breakfast that ended at 10AM, and some of the lunch items starting at 11:30AM. That 1.5 hours is exactly when he wants to eat late breakfast/brunch.

Dinner is 8 -9PM in the dining room, and we don't want to pay extra to go to a specialty restuarant every night to eat later. We like to have dinner at 8:30PM.

Otherwise, the service was exceptional, the food excellent, and the crew amazing! Sigh.....wish we could just get fed when we want.

I put it on my comment survey, but if it's working for them, why change it?

I appreciate the fact that you did put your concerns on the comment card. Even though you sound resigned to the idea that your voice won't be heard, comments like yours, if numerous (and you don't know they aren't or won't become numerous), will indicate to HAL that their system is not "working for them." If no one comments, what would HAL think but that their system is working? Glad you did not give up before at least expressing yourself.

And I am glad you posted info on buffet times, as some folks who cruise with HAL will have a more pleasant cruise because of having realistic expectations fostered by your info.

I knew my comment would create controversy LOLOL I don't care when anyone eats or what hours they keep --

I am pretty sure the hours for the various venues where posted and obtainable before you left . I too hope you find what you are looking for.

but....but....Dr. oOze says it is bad for you :eek:

People in the Mediterranean have one of the highest life spans, thinner, healthier overall and drink wine every day, eat late and eat lunch late. It seems to agree with them :D of course, they have tapas and light bites as well. Eat lighter at night than in the day. Many applaud their life style because of the results.

Edited by kazu

I've always felt the Lido buffet hours were unreasonable, both breakfast and dinner. A lot of pax like to sleep late and get going slowly in the morning, especially on sea days. Many I bet would like 2 big meals a day rather than 3 and having even one line open in Lido till 11 for a late brunch would be great. Dinner hours should be extended till 9 even if is just one line from 8 till 9. There can't be that much prep for a late night snack offering that few attend.

maybe if enough people made their preferences known they would change the hours.

Keeping a buffet line open for hours could not be not cost efficient if only a few people visit it. I wouldn't want to eat at a buffet that was open 5 to 6 hours at a time. I've eaten at buffets in the very late lunch time - it's pretty blech, or very wasteful.

Now a single top grill for a few select sandwiches or prepared salad might be nice - but, that would be room service, available almost 24/7 [have it delivered and go to the Lido, if you're going to be there anyway]

A new question for me - Can you get "room service" anywhere besides your room?

Other end of the spectrum here. We usually have a little bit to eat before our 7am stretch class.

Try flying westward to embark on a cruise. The jet lag will shift your bio-clocks earlier in the day which will sync you with the norm. Ever go to Hawaii from the 48 states? The hotels start breakfast at 6am because most of the newcomers are wide awake at 5am.

igraf

My husband loves to sleep late, and HAL compresses the dining hours to the point that he gets no hot breakfast, and we have to eat dinner earlier than we want, too.

We are accustomed to RCCL (40 years with them), and they serve breakfast in the buffet up to 11:30AM, then immediately start lunch selections. On the Oosterdam there was a 1.5 hour break between the hot breakfast that ended at 10AM, and some of the lunch items starting at 11:30AM. That 1.5 hours is exactly when he wants to eat late breakfast/brunch.

Edited by igraf

Yes, it sounds contradictory, but there was a deal-killer on this cruise.

Dinner is 8 -9PM in the dining room, and we don't want to pay extra to go to a specialty restuarant every night to eat later. We like to have dinner at 8:30PM.

Otherwise, the service was exceptional, the food excellent, and the crew amazing! Sigh.....wish we could just get fed when we want.

I put it on my comment survey, but if it's working for them, why change it?

If you have ever traveled between time zones, I have an easy solution for you:

Pretend that, on the day you boarded the ship, you moved two time zones to the east - so what used to be 10:00 AM will seem to be noon - just when you want your breakfast. The problem with dinner really should not exist - with anytime dining , you can eat at just about any time you want.

That's odd because they are supposed to be open until 9. Did you ask why they wanted you there by 8? That sounds like traditional to me. What floor was it on?

Oh, they were open until then, but they wouldn't take a reservation for a table for two that late.

My husband is a foodie. We eat all our meals out here at home, because he likes choices. He hates room service. He loves eating a very late breakfast, and wants to start dinner around 8:30 - 8:45. He got all of that on RCCL for 40 years, so he doesn't want to compromise to go on another cruise line.

But, he loved the food!!

Pcur, I certainly understand your frustration with breakfast ending so early. I was a little frustrated with it, too, as breakfast used to end at 10:30. I hate getting up so early just to get my breakfast before it closes. But that is what I did.

IIRC, room service breakfast times end with the 10:00-10:30 range. I have found that when I specify a time within a range, that is when the food is delivered. Perhaps if you ever do decide to try HAL again, you could try that.

I don't understand needing to be at open seating dining by 8:00, as they are supposed to accept entering passengers up until 9:00. Since I don't do open seating, I can't speak to what happened this time.

I can tell you from recent experience that Oceania serves a hot breakfast up until 11:00 (or was it 11:30? not certain about that later time) out at Waves Grill. It's not as complete a selection as the buffet, but it is extensive. You may want to check out that cruiseline if you're looking for something different.

Dinner runs late on that line, too.

In any case, I'm glad you found some positives, and wish you well on your search for the best cruiselines for you.

We want a table for two, and the latest they would take a reservation for that is 8:00. We finally went to dinner at 7:30 towards the end of the cruise when we went back into the dining room, so that we could be done to see the evening show.

Thanks for the suggestion: I'll look at Oceania. Right now we're back with RCCL for the next 5 cruises. We booked HAL because they took us all the way to Seattle for an extra $400 per person over the Radiance taking us to Honolulu. I wasn't as bothered by it all, but hubby is the LOML, and I want him to be happy when we travel.

Seeing as OP stated they have been sailing RCI for 40 years, the chances are pretty good they are into the senior age range. They likely have patterns and habits that work fine for them by this age. :) They know what they like and what they want.

OP .... Hope your next cruise offers more of what you seek.

Happy there were things you enjoyed about Oosterdam. She's a nice ship. :)

We are in our mid-60's. We started cruising in our mid-20's.

Yes, the Oosty is delightful. Very elegant ship.

Oh, they were open until then, but they wouldn't take a reservation for a table for two that late.

My husband is a foodie. We eat all our meals out here at home, because he likes choices. He hates room service. He loves eating a very late breakfast, and wants to start dinner around 8:30 - 8:45. He got all of that on RCCL for 40 years, so he doesn't want to compromise to go on another cruise line.

But, he loved the food!!

Thx for the answer. I bet you would have had no problem that late getting a table for 2 without a reservation. Your DH likes to eat late and there is nothing wrong with that. I like to eat at 6:00 or 6:30 and I would not be happy if someone said I had to eat at 9. We like what we like. It a shame Hal won't work for you but glad Rcl does. Appreciate you taking the time to answer.

I agree with cruz chic that if you walked into open seating at 8:30, or thereabouts, you would have no competition for a table for two. Most of the passengers would be long-gone, or finishing up.

We want a table for two, and the latest they would take a reservation for that is 8:00. We finally went to dinner at 7:30 towards the end of the cruise when we went back into the dining room, so that we could be done to see the evening show.

Thanks for the suggestion: I'll look at Oceania. Right now we're back with RCCL for the next 5 cruises. We booked HAL because they took us all the way to Seattle for an extra $400 per person over the Radiance taking us to Honolulu. I wasn't as bothered by it all, but hubby is the LOML, and I want him to be happy when we travel.

It likely won't make a difference, but you can get a 2-top past 8 very easy. Just show up and ask, you can request the same section though that might mean you have to wait a little for a table to open.

I agree wholeheartedly with the lido hours complaint.

I've been a little worried about the gaps in food times myself since I have to eat small meals these days if I want to get all my calories in. I'm hoping that between the Neptune lounge and room service I'll be able to fill in any gaps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've been a little worried about the gaps in food times myself since I have to eat small meals these days if I want to get all my calories in. I'm hoping that between the Neptune lounge and room service I'll be able to fill in any gaps.

You'll be fine. I think you could fill up pretty easy with just the Neptune especially if you eat smaller meals. Depends on how fussy you are.

Most people/family I know who are younger than me (early 60's) stay up later, like to eat dinner late and sleep in later and have a late large breakfast to forego lunch. If what I see is typical, then HAL is indeed catering again to an older demographic. If they want to shake that image, adjusting to the "young and the hungry" with extended hours would be helpful. ;) They have moved early traditional dining to ridiculous for us...looks like " early senior specials" at Denny's.

Edited by eandj

You'll be fine. I think you could fill up pretty easy with just the Neptune especially if you eat smaller meals. Depends on how fussy you are.

That will all depend on my medication unfortunately. I plan to go off of my chemo drugs for the week of vacation so hopefully it will be more stable. Otherwise I need fairly bland and not fried for now. Bleh :p

That will all depend on my medication unfortunately. I plan to go off of my chemo drugs for the week of vacation so hopefully it will be more stable. Otherwise I need fairly bland and not fried for now. Bleh :p

I would describe a lot of the sandwichy stuff as being sorta bland. They also have fruit, yougart and that type of thing. I don't think they have a lot of fried stuff so you should be fine

I would describe a lot of the sandwichy stuff as being sorta bland. They also have fruit, yougart and that type of thing. I don't think they have a lot of fried stuff so you should be fine

Thanks! I've been asking what they have in there and haven't had a lot of answers. This is exactly what I needed to know. :)

Please be confident that your needs will be met in the Neptune lounge. In addition to the items already mentioned, they always seem to have cheeses, crackers, fruits and vegetables available. Also, a nice variety of small sandwiches, cookies, tarts, etc. it will be very easy and tasty to meet your calorie needs.

Yum, making myself hungry.

Don't worry - many people with serious challenges manage to cruise and handle these issues. And most don't have the benefit of the Neptune Lounge.

I wouldn't make blanket statements like that. We are in our young 50's and always get up early while cruising. I would characterize the wake-up early crowd as being more active and physically fit, rather than young or old.

The early traditional dinner seating is also much too early for us, so we take late seating. What is the problem? And why would one make disparaging remarks about the early seating? The truth is that the early traditional dinner seating fills up faster than the late seating.

igraf

Most people/family I know who are younger than me (early 60's) stay up later, like to eat dinner late and sleep in later and have a late large breakfast to forego lunch. If what I see is typical, then HAL is indeed catering again to an older demographic. If they want to shake that image, adjusting to the "young and the hungry" with extended hours would be helpful. ;) They have moved early traditional dining to ridiculous for us...looks like " early senior specials" at Denny's.

Thanks! I've been asking what they have in there and haven't had a lot of answers. This is exactly what I needed to know. :)

You might want to bring protein bars. There are lots of good tasting ones out there. I don't need the extra calories, but sometimes they are nice for bringing on tours.

Don't worry - many people with serious challenges manage to cruise and handle these issues. And most don't have the benefit of the Neptune Lounge.

I realize that... however they've usually had time to adjust to these types of things. Mine are rather sudden and quickly created issues that I haven't adapted to yet. I was healthy as a horse and fairly fit until I got cancer. This is my first time traveling with mobility issues and the dietary issues only started a few weeks ago. I'm still trying to figure out what foods taste right as well' date=' things I used to love can taste horrible to me these days. We went to a higher end restaurant a few weeks ago and I had to send back a plate of food I know I should have liked (scallops) because it tasted bitter to me. I never know what is going to cause me to throw up as well, it so far appears to be random. I'm clearly not adjusted even at home yet since I continue to lose weight when I'm not supposed to.

You might want to bring protein bars. There are lots of good tasting ones out there. I don't need the extra calories, but sometimes they are nice for bringing on tours.

Unfortunately, I already know my body cannot handle those. I used to eat protein bars daily as part of my normal diet. I miss them. :)

Edited by sherilyn70