Island Princess - Bump Out or "Premium" Balcony??

Smokeyham

Thinking of a Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess.

I see they have a balcony which looks to be on a "bumped out" section at midships (Caribe C418-502). These are currently listed for $6,398.

However, if you go aft just a bit you get a "Premium" balcony for $6,638. Does anyone know what makes a premium balcony cost more? Seems that the bumpout section would give you a better view. Both cabins are listed as 248 square feet, including balcony.

The only thing I can think of is that the non-premium balconies are right by the elevators.

Have you checked out this site...at least for cabin location..

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Thank you for the link! Looking at the Caribe deck, it looks like the midship (bump out) balconies are covered, while the Premium balconies are partially covered. http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id3.html

Going to a destination where it can very sunny/hot and/or raining heavily it would seem like a covered balcony would actually be better.

The balconies are deeper on the Caribe non-bump out sections. That's our favorite location. You get a partially covered & partially uncovered balcony - it's the best of both worlds. The ones on the bump outs are just your standard balcony depth. You can see this in the link above too - there's quite a difference in depth.

If you want to be shielded from the sun, go with the bump-out cabins. If you like a little of both, go with the side sections and try to get a cabin that does not have inside cabins across from it, as it will be quieter.

The elevators themselves are not noisy. People coming to/from the elevators can be noisy at times. Some people do not realize it's rude to yell down the hallways and run to the elevators. :rolleyes:

We were near the canter elevators on the Emerald and DW said she could hear the ding every time an elevator stopped on our deck. I didn't notice because I was asleep:D. We won't choose one that close again.

We were near the canter elevators on the Emerald and DW said she could hear the ding every time an elevator stopped on our deck. I didn't notice because I was asleep:D. We won't choose one that close again.

There are times when I sleep lightly, and if I started to notice that it would probably drive me nuts. :(

Thinking of a Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess.

I see they have a balcony which looks to be on a "bumped out" section at midships (Caribe C418-502). These are currently listed for $6,398.

However, if you go aft just a bit you get a "Premium" balcony for $6,638. Does anyone know what makes a premium balcony cost more? Seems that the bumpout section would give you a better view. Both cabins are listed as 248 square feet, including balcony.

The only thing I can think of is that the non-premium balconies are right by the elevators.

We have stated in both. The cabins in the bump out on Caribe have regular balconies, fully covered. The other cabins on Caribe have deeper balconies, and most are partly covered. The Island and the Coral are wonderful ships.

We were on the Coral on the bump out in B426. It was a covered balcony. No noise from the elevators or stairway.

Views will be limited from here going through the Canal. The best place is forward on deck 15. We actually used our balcony less on the Panama Canal Cruise than any others.

Watch for price drops if you book. We spent about 2,000 less than that after a price drop for the April cruise.

We recently got off the Island Princess we had C622 and c624 these are the aft bump outs on caribe deck. Half covered large balconies right next door to about 3 full suites. I think the balcony was priced as a BD grade. There are just 6 (3 each side) of these BD cabins. The balcony was larger than the forward bump outs and we could look straight down again the side of the ship and great forward views for going through the canal. We loved it. Good luck with your choice.

We recently got off the Island Princess we had C622 and c624 these are the aft bump outs on caribe deck. Half covered large balconies right next door to about 3 full suites. I think the balcony was priced as a BD grade. There are just 6 (3 each side) of these BD cabins. The balcony was larger than the forward bump outs and we could look straight down again the side of the ship and great forward views for going through the canal. We loved it. Good luck with your choice.

We had those exact cabins on the Coral and it's exactly as Jackieo described above. We loved them, perfect spot to be photographed while going thru the canal. :D Very quiet area of the ship and just a few feet from the cabin is the aft area on Caribe deck with loungers - so private that it felt like a suite, lol I guess the only downside was the wind while underway. This year has been very windy all over..................You might want to try one of the aft facing corner bumps if that concerns you. Really, having the area in the aft on the Caribe deck was wonderful.

If you choose to go with a bumpout cabin, I would suggest you not choose the most forward one on any of the bumpouts, IF you plan to spend time on your balcony while the ship is at sea. There could be wind issues when the ship is cruising at 20 or so knots per hour that could affect your comfort while on the balcony.

We had, as I recall, B439, and had no such issue and enjoyed the balcony every day, but the folks in the cabin next to us, which was the forward one for that bumpout, said it was too windy for them to sit out theirs while at sea.

I'm a very light sleeper and have had cabins by the elevators at least 10 times and have never heard the beep.

So where's the photo? :p

Colo, since I got my new camera can't upload to CC unless I do from one of the online sites. Haven't uploaded the trip yet. We were on the voyage video, along with pictures from the photographers from Princess.

Hi to your "High Heel Gal"................:D

• 2 months later...

Yep, its down... Usually means is been locked for editing, but could also be a payment or account issue.

Hopefully it will be back up, or if not we can get a copy. I can host it on my server if needed (anyone know the original author?)