Tom's Blog...Star Princess May 23--RT from San Francisco to Alaska

trbarton

I'm glad you didn't have any rain in Ketchikan. Sorry about tendering in Juneau. I've been there 3 times and was able to dock. Why do you have to tender?

Thanks for subscribing help.

Edited by Susie51

I'm glad you didn't have any rain in Ketchikan. Sorry about tendering in Juneau. I've been there 3 times and was able to dock. Why do you have to tender?

Thanks for subscribing help.

Star must be the last ship to arrive... no dock space.

EDIT: I looked up Juneau for today and there are only 4 ships in port, but three are Princess ships, so, more than likely, Princess is allocated certain docks and if those are full, the odd ship out has to tender.

Edited by RickEk

Day 6...Wednesday, May 28...Juneau, Alaska

Another day no rain. Weather has been cool. Layered clothing helpful.

We took a tour that went to the salmon hatchery, Mendenhall Glacier, and Alaskan Salmon bake. All very good except not enough time to go out to the glacier something I plan to mention.

All you can eat at the salmon bake.

Once back in town time to window shop and to use the coupons that we had from our coupon book that Princess sells.

We received a letter from the Captain, some people sick with symptoms of the Nora Virus although nothing confirmed. Staff in the buffet serving the food, handing your plate and silverware as you enter. Means things are slower.

Until another day.

Tom:)

Day 7...Thursday, May 29...Skagway, Alaska

Today we had a afternoon train ride up to the summit with good narration along the way. We went into town first and rushed around with our coupon book. I would suggest doing the ride in the morning to give you the afternoon to spend in town. There is a shuttle bus, $2 each way or $5 for the whole day the goes from the ship into town or it's a short walk.

Tomorrow it's early rise to see Tracy Arms Fjord.

See you soon.

Tom

Edited by trbarton

Tom,

Glad you are having a great time.

On the sea days are they offering Zumba? I just read a review of the Caribbean Princess and they didn't have Zumba on the sailing that just returned on Friday.

Thanks, Jackie

Jackie:

Yes they have Zumba while at sea.

Tom

How long is the train ride? Are the seats comfortable? I've done the bus tour to the summit twice. How does it compare to the train ride? Glad you haven't had any rain.

I'm not Tom but did this wonderful train ride a few years ago and can answer. The train ride is spectacular! It's about 3 hours roundtrip. The seats are similar to school bus seats so nothing special, but there's plenty of room, you can walk around, and there's a nice heater.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm not Tom but did this wonderful train ride a few years ago and can answer. The train ride is spectacular! It's about 3 hours roundtrip. The seats are similar to school bus seats so nothing special, but there's plenty of room, you can walk around, and there's a nice heater.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you for answering my question.

Day 8...Friday, May 30...Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska (Scenic Cruising)

Early rise to view the Fjord. We went in far but not up next to the Glacier. Ships have a window of time to go all the way to the glacier.

Cool weather today.

Always a full schedule of things to do.

Plenty of ship sales especially on sea days.

Internet connection can be spotty. Today I could not log out and the internet manager gave me credit for my minutes.

Things to save you money:

Register for the military credit, up to $2.50 OBC.

Have at least 100 shares of Carnival stock, up to $2.50 OBC.

Purchase a FCC and receive OBC. For my balcony stateroom I received $100 plus the

$100 I paid for the FCC went for my deposit. Good to have a couple on hand.

Victoria in 2 days.

Hope the virus has gone down and we can be back to normal eating.

Anyone for the June 3rd cruise received any notice about there cruise? Hopefully the virus will not cause any delays.

I will copy the Patters when I get back. I only have the regular ones, none for other age groups.

FYI....There is a small copy of the Patter that is for the crew but I was given one and it was much easier to carry around. Ask if you can get one every day and post what you find out.

The show in the Princess Theatre was a good ventriloquist that was sooo good that we saw both shows.

We were given the custom form to fill out. Remember is there are people with different last names you have to go to the pursers desk for another one. Luggage tags arrived.

Some of the show rooms can be cold so have something to wear.

Until another day,

Edited by trbarton

Hope the virus has gone down and we can be back to normal eating.

Anyone for the June 3rd cruise received any notice about there cruise? Hopefully the virus will not cause any delays.

I'm on the 6/3 sailing and so far, (knocks wood), no notification at all..:)

Rick.. Currently on Star. Still Code Red. Captain said they will sanitize cabins upon arrival in SF to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the heads-up! I posted this to our roll-call page. I'm flying in Tuesday morning at 11am, so if there's delayed boarding, I'll be free to wander the Embarcadero. :)

Day 9...Saturday, May 31...At Sea

Another cool day at sea. There was some dolphin's but you need to be quick to see them.

Captain mentioned that they are going to continue there special cleaning until we get back to SF. It sounds like around 60 people sick including crew.

There was a captain party with a lot of the senior officers present along with the captain. They honored 3 couples that were the most traveled. Free drinks to everyone and a chance to have your photo with the captain.

Formal night with lobster.

Had a good sweet wine with dinner.

Tomorrow Victoria.

Edited by trbarton