Best time to book for solos?

runner2013

Hi all, i'm tossing around the idea of a solo cruise for some 'me' time.I've got my eye on a few trips the months of October, November and the week of Christmas(since I already have the time off from work). My question for all you knowledgable solos out there, is it better to book in advance or wait until a week or two out? If I wait my fear is the plane ticket prices will be sky high or just not available anymore, or there won't be room at any hotel for a pre/post-cruise stay. Especially for the Christmas week trip.

Also are you loyal to one cruise line, even if it may cost a bit more, or do you just go with the best rate?

What have been your experiences?

Any advice greatly appreciated:confused:

Edited by runner2013

Hi all, i'm tossing around the idea of a solo cruise for some 'me' time.I've got my eye on a few trips the months of October, November and the week of Christmas(since I already have the time off from work). My question for all you knowledgable solos out there, is it better to book in advance or wait until a week or two out? If I wait my fear is the plane ticket prices will be sky high or just not available anymore, or there won't be room at any hotel for a pre/post-cruise stay. Especially for the Christmas week trip.

Also are you loyal to one cruise line, even if it may cost a bit more, or do you just go with the best rate?

I am not a price-priority shopper - I look for the things I want in a cruise ship and a voyage, and then decide if I can fit it in my budget. That's why I don't spend a lot of time tracking solo-traveler sales (when single supplements are lowered), especially since the cost of the flight(s) might equal the cost of the cruise. If I lived driving distance to a port, that might be different, but a big part of my planning must include flight schedules and costs.

Unlike many solo travelers on CC apparently, the percentage of the solo supplement matters to me, and I look for a lower supplement not because it's a lower cost, but because I think a higher supplement is ethically wrong. For that reason - and many others - I am now a big fan of Crystal for solo cruising especially. Supplements for a window cabin are just 25% on every voyage (not just a few that might or might not fit my plans), though capacity controlled, and I really value the experience of an almost-all-inclusive cruise.

As for when to book? Well, it depends on how much of a gambler (oops, I mean "risk taker") you are. For me, once I've gone through the process of choosing my vacation choice and travel plans, I don't want to risk that they might not be available (or might not be affordable) later, so I tend to book right away. That risk is not worth the hundred or two I might save. Other people feel the risk is worth saving that amount, and will gamble that their plans (or some they like equally as well) will be available at the same or better price later.

I have been cruising solo for many years and yes, sometimes you

can find lower prices last minute but there is no guaranty about that....

most times it is all about "Supply and Demand".....if there are alot of

cabins left open then, yes prices may go down but if a cruise is selling

really well? The cruiseline may keep the price "as is" might even raise

them.

If you need to fly? (which most people need to do)....then I would

say try and find a cruise with a price you are happy with and book it.

Over the years, the airfares are higher the closer to the time you

need it......so booking that in advance is "usually" saving you money.

Not all the time of course but usually.

As for the best time to cruise? There really isn't one answer for all

of us. I was on a cruise in February and booked a cruise for Nov.

Happy with the price I paid so that is all that matters:)

As for sailing with Crystal? They may have a lower Single Supplement

but it looks (for me anyway) that the cruise prices are so high to begin

with the lower supplement doesn't help. Yes, they are a luxury line

but if it too much $$$ and out of the budget? Then the low SS doesn't

do any good.

Edited by Lois R

As for sailing with Crystal? They may have a lower Single Supplement but it looks (for me anyway) that the cruise prices are so high to begin with the lower supplement doesn't help. Yes, they are a luxury line but if it too much $$$ and out of the budget? Then the low SS doesn't

do any good.

As I said I'm not looking for a lower supplement "to help" with the cost, I look for a lower supplement because I don't like feeling I'm getting taken advantage of because I'm solo by being forced to pay double. Others won't care about that and are only looking for the best price. Still, when I looked at the transatlantic I wanted to take, Crystal cost me only 10% more than Celebrity, for a very different (IMO better) experience. But that was when and where I looked - I'm sure sometimes the difference is greater than that.

As I said I'm not looking for a lower supplement "to help" with the cost, I look for a lower supplement because I don't like feeling I'm getting taken advantage of because I'm solo by being forced to pay double. Others won't care about that and are only looking for the best price. Still, when I looked at the transatlantic I wanted to take, Crystal cost me only 10% more than Celebrity, for a very different (IMO better) experience. But that was when and where I looked - I'm sure sometimes the difference is greater than that.

Many times TA crossings are less $ basically because you are only

sailing one way;)......I have seen low prices for those cruises but

due to work, I have never been able to do a TA. I can't be away

from work at the end of the month and they always seem to be

around that time.

I looked at Crystal once......it was for a Caribbean cruise and was way

more than I wanted to pay.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on the SS:)

I've only taken one cruise so far, with another scheduled for two weeks from now. But I have done a far amount of solo travel. Here's my take:

* If you want to take a cruise during Christmas, book as far in advance as you can. It's high time for cruises, as reflected in the price, but it's only going to get more expensive as time goes on.

* If you want a particular cabin on a particular cruise, book as far in advance as you can. The most popular cabins tend to sell out quickly and are discounted less.

* Otherwise, you can probably afford to wait, though this depends on where you want to go. Carnival has a list of cruises that you can book without a single occupant tax here: http://www.carnival.com/Content/single-occupancy.aspx?icid=CC_singcd_1942 . That list is a little old, but it will give you some idea of what's out there. If a particular cruise is being discounted week after week, it will likely be discounted when you're ready to go. No guarantees, though. BTW the zero supplement prices start about 2 months before departure. Also, Royal Caribbean is running a sale where some 2015 cruises are 50% off for the 2nd occupant - which essentially means you get the cabin for a 50% supplement. That sale ends at the end of May, and who knows if it will be repeated.

* Plane fares tend to stay fairly cheap until about 3 weeks before the flight, then spike, then again 2 weeks before, then again a week before. There are some last-minute deals available, but it's usually rare you can get one of those fares for where you want. You certainly can't rely on it.

* I've only cruised on Carnival, official cruise line of the unwashed masses :D. They've treated me well so far, but I wouldn't say I'm loyal to them.

I hope you find what you're looking for and that I've helped in some small way.

Many times TA crossings are less $ basically because you are only

sailing one way;)......I have seen low prices for those cruises but

due to work, I have never been able to do a TA. I can't be away

from work at the end of the month and they always seem to be

around that time.

I looked at Crystal once......it was for a Caribbean cruise and was way

more than I wanted to pay.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on the SS:)

I thought transatlantic crossings were less expensive because they have fewer port calls. Whatever......fewer port calls are my preference; I'd have been happy if there were no port stops on the way (but I know that's not feasible). At one point, transoceanic cruises were significantly cheaper to encourage people to take the repositioning (one-way) trip, but they've become more popular and now don't offer the discounts they used to since people have twigged on to the bargain.

I'm happy to agree to disagree on single supplements - as I said when I originally posted, I know my view on it is very different than most CC solo posters. And I'm OK with that - what I offer is my opinion and preferences.

Edited by calliopecruiser

Runner, I would not recommend Christmas as a solo. You will feel alone in a sea of families who may consider you an interloper. Also most pricey, crowded time of year. I like to go just after Thanksgiving or first 10 days December. No crowds, no huricanes Lowest prices of season..Book your air and start watching several cruises which fit into air from both Miami or FtLauderdale. Same with hotels.

I've gotten a couple of excellent deals cruising in early December just before Christmas. A lot of folks don't seem to want to cruise then... but as a solo I can go whenever I want (or have enough vacation time).

Thanks!!!!

Hey Tom, is that you? I have tried to reach you....hope you are doing

well. Left a couple of messages over the couple of months........

Runner, I would not recommend Christmas as a solo. You will feel alone in a sea of families who may consider you an interloper. Also most pricey, crowded time of year. I like to go just after Thanksgiving or first 10 days December. No crowds, no huricanes Lowest prices of season..Book your air and start watching several cruises which fit into air from both Miami or FtLauderdale. Same with hotels.

Very interesting you say that Christmas week wouldn't be good due to families feeling like i'm intruding.. I always figured families wouldn't want to cruise during the Holiday??

Anyway, I have noticed the prices are lower the beginning of Dec and also right after the New Year as well.

Guess i'll have to keep my eyes open and see what I can find.

Thanks for the advice about the plane tickets too. I never noticed they went up the closer the flying date. :p