I'm confused about the Suites!

Sherry H

So..........I know you receive double points when booking a Suite.

However, which suites? SA......SB........SC are double but what about SZ and SY?

Some of the smaller ships call the "regular" verandahs "Verandah Suites" but I know they don't receive double points.

Help me out here. I want to book a 14 day cruise to receive 28 points.

So......on the Ryndam even though it is just a "regular" size Veranda, since it reads "Vista Suite" double points are given?

One more question.......If I purchase a Superior Suite at the present price listed and later there is a price drop and I am able to get the lower price will I lose my double points?

One more question.......If I purchase a Superior Suite at the present price listed and later there is a price drop and I am able to get the lower price will I lose my double points?
Not the way I read the rule. Your original purchase was at a "published fare", and what happens after that shouldn't matter.

So......on the Ryndam even though it is just a "regular" size Veranda, since it reads "Vista Suite" double points are given?

Yes. You should receive double day credits.

Not the way I read the rule. Your original purchase was at a "published fare", and what happens after that shouldn't matter.

I agree.

If I wasn't totally nuts before being introduced to HAL's points system, I was well on my way toward that blissful state after having the system explained. As I get this, there are no points, there three different kinds of cruise credits,those being cruise day credits, on board spending credits and suite bonus cruise day credits.

Upon achieving various levels of accumulations you are awarded 1-5 star lapel pins and some minor treats and goodies, the best one being complimentary laundry which means nothing if you are in a Neptune suite where the laundry is included in the fare.

After you accumulate 100 cruise day credits, you get a bronze medallion. The on board and suite bonus points do not count toward the medallion award. When you get to 300 cruise credits they give out silver medallion. There is not much in the way of perks associated with medallions.:D

If I wasn't totally nuts before being introduced to HAL's points system, I was well on my way toward that blissful state after having the system explained. As I get this, there are no points, there three different kinds of cruise credits,those being cruise day credits, on board spending credits and suite bonus cruise day credits.

Upon achieving various levels of accumulations you are awarded 1-5 star lapel pins and some minor treats and goodies, the best one being complimentary laundry which means nothing if you are in a Neptune suite where the laundry is included in the fare.

After you accumulate 100 cruise day credits, you get a bronze medallion. The on board and suite bonus points do not count toward the medallion award. When you get to 300 cruise credits they give out silver medallion. There is not much in the way of perks associated with medallions.:D

By Jove I think you've got it! :D Originally the new star-level "credits" system was intended to completely replace the old medallion level system, but too many people screamed that it "maxed out" at 200 days (4-star) and they wanted the medallion levels above that, so HAL said OK, they would keep the Silver (300), Gold (500), and Platinum (700) levels ... and finally that they would keep the 100 day level too. Originally that was called the Copper level, and the pins and medallions are definitely copper colored, but I've noticed that recently it has morphed into the Bronze level. And you are correct - there are now NO benefits attached to the medallion levels and they are strictly actual days sailed, not "credit" days.

Edited by jtl513

You seem to have it down correctly. IMO, the big bonus is getting to 4 Star, as you get VIP boarding, disembarkation and tender service, PLUS 50% off wine packages, mini-bar purchases and pay dining venues, PLUS free laundry service.

DaveOKC

You seem to have it down correctly. IMO, the big bonus is getting to 4 Star, as you get VIP boarding, disembarkation and tender service, PLUS 50% off wine packages, mini-bar purchases and pay dining venues, PLUS free laundry service.

DaveOKC

True, True! The 4 Star does come with a nice discount at the Pinnacle Grill that even the Suite Pax don't get, unless of course they are 4 star mariners as well.

True, True! The 4 Star does come with a nice discount at the Pinnacle Grill that even the Suite Pax don't get, unless of course they are 4 star mariners as well.

3 Star mariners get 25% off Pinnacle, Cabaletto, Le Cirque, (can't remember the special Dutch dinner name), Tamarind (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam) and Navigator and Admiral wine packages.

4 and 5 Star mariners get 50% off all above mentioned items.

So what have I missed?

You only get the double points if you upgraded or were upsold from a cabin which was eligibile for double points.

So I should get double points for our cruise since I paid to move up to the SA room then?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DaveOKC

I sometimes am recalled to that classic movie "History of the World (Part 1)", the scene wherein Dom DeLuise, as Caesar, is given presents, and one of them is a chest. He says "Nice; not exciting, but nice." Then, it is revealed that the chest is filled with treasure. He goes nuts.

The point? Most of the 4-star perks are "nice; etc." But the free laundry is the payoff!

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

So I should get double points for our cruise since I paid to move up to the SA room then?

Paying for the upgrade doesn't mean double points. It's upgrading from a suite to another suite that will get you the double points.

Paying for the upgrade doesn't mean double points. It's upgrading from a suite to another suite that will get you the double points.

An upsell doesn't get the double points but IF the person decides to pay the fare and move up they certainly get the points and I am unsure from sherilyn's post is that is what they did or not.

Sorry sherilyn I forget - what category were you in before. If you received an upsell offer from HAL (move up at reduced price) and you were not in a cabin with the name 'suite' then no, you won't get the double points.

But, if you elected to move up and paid the published price to move up to the category then yes, you would qualify for the double points.

And, if you were already in a category with the word 'suite' in it (ie Vista Suite on some ship categories) then you were already getting the double points.

I hope I explained this clearly?

Edited by kazu

When you reach Medallion Levels, they are presented at a pre-Mariners Brunch Reception. Captain and Hotel Manager present them, pose for photo which is delivered complimentary to your cabin and it occurs during the cruise during which you reached the required number of days.

Star Levels and the benefits earned begin on the first cruise After you reach the new level.

I sometimes am recalled to that classic movie "History of the World (Part 1)", the scene wherein Dom DeLuise, as Caesar, is given presents, and one of them is a chest. He says "Nice; not exciting, but nice." Then, it is revealed that the chest is filled with treasure. He goes nuts.

The point? Most of the 4-star perks are "nice; etc." But the free laundry is the payoff!

Dave

And I'm reminded of Jeff Foxworthy. Spending and extra $5000.00 on an upgrade to accumulate points is like buying a Boeing 747 because you like the peanuts.:D

You only get the double points if you upgraded or were upsold from a cabin which was eligibile for double points.

Something I've never heard of is this double points thing. If you sail in a Neptune Suite on a 7 day cruise, what do you earn; days cruised credit of 14 days??

Sorry for making this more confusing.

Thanks for the help.

Danny

Something I've never heard of is this double points thing. If you sail in a Neptune Suite on a 7 day cruise, what do you earn; days cruised credit of 14 days??

Thanks for the help.

Danny

No, sailing in a Neptune Suite does not automatically earn double cruise day credits. Here is the wording from HAL's website:

Suite Bonus – Earn double Cruise Day credits when you pay a published fare for a spacious suite or penthouse on your next cruise.

Onboard Spending Bonus – Earn one bonus credit for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases you make.

If you pay the published fare for a suite or penthouse then yes, you will earn double cruise day credits. If, for example, you originally booked a veranda cabin and were subsequently upgraded to a Neptune Suite, you would not then collect double cruise day credits as you did not pay the published fare for the suite.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the help.

Danny

If you booked the Neptune Suite originally (or another suite) then yes you earn 14 days instead of the 7.

If you are upsold the Neptune Suite from a Vista or Signature suite, you still qualify for the suite bonus days.

If on the other hand you are upsold or are upgraded to the Neptune Suite from another category (ie outside, verandah, etc), then it would not qualify for the double days.

If you booked the Neptune Suite originally (or another suite) then yes you earn 14 days instead of the 7.

If you are upsold the Neptune Suite from a Vista or Signature suite, you still qualify for the suite bonus days.

If on the other hand you are upsold or are upgraded to the Neptune Suite from another category (ie outside, verandah, etc), then it would not qualify for the double days.

I looked on HAL's website and it looks like this program was started in 2009, our last cruise was 2006. I see my confusion now.

THANKS

Danny