Is Princess charging room service fees fleet wide or only on the Regal?

4cats4me

If Princess changed the goal posts on these charges, then simply:

Fill in the complaint form on the ship; and

Tell the steward who brings the meal that the $3 charge is their tip; and

When you get back from the cruise complain in the survey email.

If enough people do this (they will also get complaints from crew who stop getting tipped), then Princess will hopefully get the message.

Please don't punish the crew.

They also have to live with these decisions and you are very wrong that anyone in Corporate will care about their complaints.

If a crew person is unhappy there will always be someone else to take their place.

As far as your 2 other ideas - yes, do complain on the ship (in writing) and let them know in the post cruise email.

Look how well the FB complaints worked!

Edited by chamima

They also have to live with these decisions and you are very wrong that anyone in Corporate will care about their complaints.

If a crew person is unhappy there will always be someone else to take their place.

I agree, please don't punish the crew for a stupid corporate decision. They had no say in this matter and punishing them would do nothing other than create unhappiness.

Mike:)

About time.

I expect they should refund all those charges already paid by those currently onboard.

I wonder if they alerted their travel partners(TAs) to this trial, as for the majority of passengers that's often a source of information about the cruise lines value proposition.

I informed my TA. She did not have a clue and is laying in wait for her Princess Rep on Tuesday. I have sent her the notice that it has been rescinded to calm her down.

Princess went through this same debacle years ago when they started imposing the "fuel surcharge". Guess their memories are not long enough to remember that when they suddenly put it in place on those with existing reservations, many paid in full, that they ended up having to withdraw it since they had not given proper notice. Once "proper notice" was given it then went back into place and I think that will again happen with these "fees". While I see the charge for Alfredo’s being reasonable the room service fee is absurd.

Edited by larsen

!

How is not tipping them punishing them? Everyone who has a job, gets paid, just like you and me.

Only in America is tipping such a mandatory 'culture' (in some countries tipping is actually offensive). Sure, tipping is highly personal and probably due for exceptional or above-and-beyond service, but I hardly think the steward bringing your meal to your cabin is something over and above his/her job description. You don't tip a sales clerk at a department store or someone behind the desk at the post office!

However I think in this situation a bit of guilt comes into play: because the meal is 'free' we feel inclined to tip. But we really shouldn't: the room service meal is all included in your cruise fare.

But I digress: the reason for my reply is I do agree with your point that the company probably won't listen to the workers complaints; however that's a bad reflection on Princess' part unfortunately.

Edited by pilotsh
Typo

New Morning New News!!

I am pleased Princess has chosen to listen to their clients.

As I stated in one of my many posts yesterday, I would happily absorb a 25, 50 or 100 dollar increase in fare to protect the services and feel of a Princess Cruise. What I viewed as cheap underhanded dealings with the passengers was what was upsetting me and I tip my hat to Princess for acknowledging their error.

Raise your price if you must, but do it in a manner where your clients are treated with respect.

How is not tipping them punishing them? Everyone who has a job, gets paid, just like you and me.

I have to ask if you are familiar with the pay scale of the hotel staff on US based cruise ships?

Your words would make me think that you are not.

I have to ask if you are familiar with the pay scale of the hotel staff on US based cruise ships?

Your words would make me think that you are not.

I'd be very interest to know what is the pay scale of individual positions onboard, Thanks in advance.

I informed my TA. She did not have a clue and is laying in wait for her Princess Rep on Tuesday. I have sent her the notice that it has been rescinded to calm her down.

But "rescinded" for the time being. Tell your TA to let her Princess rep how very displeased so many are over the nickel-and-dime approach. Yes, Princess "fixed" their implementation of these charges, temporarily (one part of the outrage). The other part is the outrage of the charges to begin with. Not the Princess Cruises' reputation we've all come to enjoy. Princess reps also need to know its loyal passengers are not happy with these charges at all. It lowers Princess' classier reputation.

If these charges are implemented in the future they should be imposed only on new bookings after the notice. Anyone already booked did so thinking room service and Alfredo's were free.

But "rescinded" for the time being. Tell your TA to let her Princess rep how very displeased so many are over the nickel-and-dime approach. Yes, Princess "fixed" their implementation of these charges, temporarily (one part of the outrage). The other part is the outrage of the charges to begin with. Not the Princess Cruises' reputation we've all come to enjoy. Princess reps also need to know its loyal passengers are not happy with these charges at all. It lowers Princess' classier reputation.

She is writing her Rep today and said to thank all of you for being vocal in your outrage.

We have thought about this issue for a few days and concluded that for us, it is not a big deal. When we do use Room Service our practice is to tip the room service steward $2-$5upon delivery. If we are assessed a room service charge we will simply stop tipping since we assume that Princess is properly compensating the room service steward.

Hank

If these charges are implemented in the future they should be imposed only on new bookings after the notice. Anyone already booked did so thinking room service and Alfredo's were free.

Agree totally :D

Makes me wonder how busy Alfredo's has been on the Regal upon implementation of the $10 pp fee

My guess is they haven't been so successful.

Obviously, we, the past clientele and potential future clientele have pushed back and they have listened, for now.

We're on to you, Princess, and we're watching you.

Edited by 4cats4me

In my experiences on Princess, the only charge for room service is during the early morning house. I believe it is 1AM until about 5 or 6 AM. That seems pretty fair to me. Have never paid a fee for pizza anywhere, but who knows what is happening. Have not been on Grand Pr. for some time, so looking forward to Nov. 19, 2014 and the cruise to Hawaii.

:)

In my experiences on Princess, the only charge for room service is during the early morning house. I believe it is 1AM until about 5 or 6 AM. That seems pretty fair to me. Have never paid a fee for pizza anywhere, but who knows what is happening. Have not been on Grand Pr. for some time, so looking forward to Nov. 19, 2014 and the cruise to Hawaii.]

If they eventually charge for Alfredo's on all ships then I have to believe they will have to expand the menus like they have on the Royal and Regal. I still like the pizza by the pool better any way so I would have no reason to go to Alfredo's unless they had an expanded menu. And yes they do now charge $3.00 for a pizza delivered to your stateroom. I have never heard of a room charge for delivering from 1 to 5 am. But then again I'm not up then anyway. :)

And yes they do now charge $3.00 for a pizza delivered to your stateroom. I have never heard of a room charge for delivering from 1 to 5 am. But then again I'm not up then anyway. :)

I've never heard of a late night room service charge either.

Mike:)

I have so many things that I would like to say, but am trying to restrain myself.

Also, wondering if anyone has seen mention of this uproar on TV news?

I concur.... :D:D:D !!

Tony