Is Princess charging room service fees fleet wide or only on the Regal?

4cats4me

We really don't know yet if this will really happen. Some of you said you would not mind paying the $3 room service charge if you are allowed to order from the MDR menu. Great - that means another suite perk is gone. I only book suites because we like to relax by ourselves and enjoy our balcony. We order coffee in the morning before heading to breakfast in Sabitini's. Around 1:00 we order something small from room service. Then our afternoon treats come and maybe something before dinner. I am a very generous tipper - even when they change out the fruit. I also like to order MDR dinner about half the time. I like things hot and have learned to order by courses so that is at least three orders from room service and again, I tip each time. IF I have to pay $3 each time which might amount to 6 deliveries per day plus tips - no way!!! Our last cruise was a month in the grand suite which ran over $700 per day and since we had the dining room, we ordered dinner for up to eight people at least a dozen times. If this $3 is a per person charge, we might as well make them balcony dinners or will they increase that price also? I think suites pay more than their share. We paid $1200 a day for our OS on the Royal over New Years. I have several cruises booked so I will be keeping a close eye on this.

6 deliveries a day for just one cabin and you're wondering why they're starting to add a delivery charge?

Why do people keep saying Alfedos is a speciality.

Princess clearly state it is part of the casual dining option on their newest ship.

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/gp/amenities_publicrooms/personal_choice_dining/#.U4JDBilwbQ4

and on the generic dining options page

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/Dining_Options.pdf

and is not included anywhere as an exception that charges.

This is a clear case of deliberately false and misleading advertising.

We have never used room service but if we did a $3 service charge is fine with me. Have never been on a ship with Alfredo's so cannot comment if the up charge would be a problem.

But I do have an issue with them still saying 24 hour room service is included with no mention of a service fee even for the next sailing of the Regal this week. In Texas that would be consider deceptive trade practices (triple damages if found true) no matter what they say in the cruise contract. By the fact that they are charging for what they are still saying is included is nothing less than deceptive.

Princess clearly state it is part of the casual dining option on their newest ship.

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/gp/amenities_publicrooms/personal_choice_dining/#.U4JDBilwbQ4

Bait and switch. Except for the few who think this is no big deal and wonder why the rest of us are getting all worked up ("childish") about being promised one thing and then given (or asked to pay for) another.

I'm looking for that letter from Princess that promises me a free cruise if I go online and defend the "free for me but not for thee" policies. What? No such letter you say? Then I guess I really won't ever understand why the apologists are so vehement in their disagreement with the rest of us.

NOW NOW!!! Let's not start introducing "FACTS" to this discussion, that would just blow people's arguments to defend Princess right out of the water (so to speak)

Just to get the legal bit out of the way, the cruise contract that you sign on booking pretty much allows them to make any changes they choose, without notice or recourse.

At most, you might have a case for the actual fees, but the cost of recovery would be prohibitive.

What a customer relations boondoggle!

Legal? Undoubtedly. Ethical? I don't think so. Smart? No way! :mad:

You are right on target. It is just an example of sixty more nickels or thirty more dimes. At some point Princess customers will say enough and vote with their feet.

NOW NOW!!! Let's not start introducing "FACTS" to this discussion, that would just blow people's arguments to defend Princess right out of the water (so to speak)

We would never want to confuse anyone with "facts"! ;) With politicians being so proficient at speaking out of both sides of their mouth at the same time, I wonder if Princess has hired politicians to make their decisions? :p

Princess produced a special brochure to promote their new ships and very clearly stated:

Alfredo’s Pizzeria

Just one of a few ships to offer Alfredo’s pizzeria, Royal Princess & Regal Princess pair an expanded menu and more spacious seating with our complimentary hand- tossed Neapolitan-style pizza, served hot out of the oven.

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/royal_princess.pdf

In one of the threads about these changes it was posted that a Princess onboard hotel manager said he was unaware of these changes. If HQ was considering these changes would't it be prudent to get input from their hotel managers? :rolleyes:

Each of us have our opinions but when people use terms like childish to describe opinions then such condescending posts add nothing to an adult discussion. :rolleyes:

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just to get the legal bit out of the way, the cruise contract that you sign on booking pretty much allows them to make any changes they choose, without notice or recourse.

At most, you might have a case for the actual fees, but the cost of recovery would be prohibitive.

Thanks, now do you wish to tackle the ethical issue??? Then you might wish to give some thought to the loyalty issue! :D

Edited by wilfros

As far as the web site section on the Regal Dining options

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/gp/amenities_publicrooms/personal_choice_dining/#.U4JKGfldWSo

Several of those listed under casual dining have fees associated with them including Vines, Gelatto, and even the IC for some things.

As far as the second there are comments in the footnotes that charges are subject to change based upon itinerary and season. So they are covered as far as Alfredo's is concerned.

With all due respect this is fine that we all get to vent, rant and fume!!! Feels good and like all other threads this too will disappear in time and Princess knows this! So what to do????

Unfortunately, while solid followers of our selected cruise line, in this case Princess, we, the members of CC are very few in numbers as compared to the total number of passengers sailing on each ship.

This is the very reason there is nothing we can, in fact, do to resolve this. Princess knows this.

The only thing that REALLY matters to Princess, or any other cruise ship line, for that matter, is the bottom line. This is the fundamental reason for all corporate decisions. This is the information that we, the clients, can use to sway their corporate decisions. BUT it calls for a mass movement and solidarity, something that is rare indeed when dealing with individuals across vast locations.

IMHO I believe everyone (EVERYONE) needs

1. to remove auto tipping on boarding day. 100 percent removal. No-one on the ship should have this charge on their account.

2. stop using all services on board the ship that involves an extra charge. This includes the restaurants, laundry, drycleaning, shore excursions EVERYTHING.

3. Go to the Passenger Service desk everyday and demand a print out of your account to ensure no charges have been added.

4. depart the ship having spent a lovely week on board a ship, been fed, and entertained. And most important you will have given them NOT ONE CENT more than the cost of your cruise.

They may be able to nickel and dime us but we can penny them!

Do this on just one or even two cruise ships and things would change immediately. We the consumer have a multitude of options. Without us, however, these cruise lines are dead in the water!

We do have the power, the question is do we have the resolve??

You are right on target. It is just an example of sixty more nickels or thirty more dimes. At some point Princess customers will say enough and vote with their feet.

Thanks Tip, just takes me back to my original post on this issue, and then I got beat up for it. :(

Edited by wilfros

Thanks Tip, just takes me back to my original post on this issue, and then I beat up for it. :(

You could have put everything in your post EXCEPT the removal of tips and you would not have gotten beat up for it.

The other items impact corporate revenue, for first impacts the crew.

Royal Caribbean charges for room service after 3 am until 6-6~30. ($3.25/per room). This was started about 1 year ago. It was because many people order Room Service late, then fall asleep and don't answer the door. It is very wasteful and there was never any tip when this happened so Royal solution was to charge for Room Service during this period when people have a tendency to not tip (because they fell asleep while waiting for Room service). I have never ordered room service past mid-night. I stop at the 24 café and picked something up to go if I wanted something.

Edited by CaptData

You could have put everything in your post EXCEPT the removal of tips and you would not have gotten beat up for it.

The other items impact corporate revenue, for first impacts the crew.

See, you just didn't read what I wrote. You read what you wanted to read.

I stated "remove auto tipping" Never once did I say not to tip. That was just what you AND OTHERS wanted to read and then jump all over me.

The Cheerleaders of Princess will always accept what is thrust upon them, I understand that. Sad as it is, that, like death and taxes, is just a fact of life.

If the $3 charge went to the server I wouldn't mind so much since I tip that much or more anyway. However, I'd like to see that in writing. Oh, wait, I've already seen "complimentary" pizza and room service in writing, and that isn't happening.

If the $3 charge went to the server I wouldn't mind so much since I tip that much or more anyway. However, I'd like to see that in writing. Oh, wait, I've already seen "complimentary" pizza and room service in writing, and that isn't happening.

It's all about trust. Princess has put trust in question. That is the fundamental reason I suggested removing auto-tipping. With actions like this by corporate can we really trust that ALL our auto-tipping is getting to the staff that have served us well?

Trust, once broken, is difficult (if not impossible) to regain! Food for thought Princess!

It's all about trust. Princess has put trust in question. That is the fundamental reason I suggested removing auto-tipping. With actions like this by corporate can we really trust that ALL our auto-tipping is getting to the staff that have served us well?

Trust, once broken, is difficult (if not impossible) to regain! Food for thought Princess!

I understand your point about broken trust however my skepticism only goes so far & I would never consider removing auto tips as a way of expressing my dissatisfaction. To me reducing tips to the hard-working staff onboard is no way to show the honchos in their ivory tower what a bad decision they made.

I think it is all about the numbers. The Royal and now the Regal have 600 more passengers on a full ship. (vs Grand Class Ruby etc.) The folks at Princess learned from the Royal that the marginal staffing did not keep up the the room service demands from the additional 600 at peak morning times etc. So, to not add staff the good folks at Princess add 3 bucks for delivery. Bingo, another revenue stream and hopefully, reduced demand to current staffing levels. A win, win for the Team Princess.

I can deal with service charge for late night deliveries, but the usual and expected AM breakfast is non-starter for me if I decide to sail on the Regal. Hopefully, Team Princess will not expand this charge to the other ships.

Kevin

Edited by kjg46

I understand your point about broken trust however my skepticism only goes so far & I would never consider removing auto tips as a way of expressing my dissatisfaction. To me reducing tips to the hard-working staff onboard is no way to show the honchos in their ivory tower what a bad decision they made.

See, I am not suggesting, nor would I ever suggest, that you do not tip!!!!! Really!!! I'm trying to make an ethical and trust argument here!! It really should not be this difficult!

Can you really trust that 100 percent (ONE HUNDRED PERCENT) of your auto tipping is going straight to the staff. OR..... OR .... might there be an administrative fee???? If so then what percentage would that fee be???? Is it fair to the staff or has this fee been forced upon them just as these room service fees have been forced upon us???? It was not us that caused this break in trust but rather Princess that demonstrated this unethical act.

Now do you see? This is a trust issue! Once the trust is broken at what point can you then say they can again be trusted??

Go ahead, as I will, and tip away!!! Just don't freely give your money over to the management of those who's acts appear to be untrustworthy.

When I give my money directly to the staff at least I have done what I can to ensure those who deserve it are, in fact, receiving it from me. Should there then be any back room deals taking place between Princess and staff I have done what I can to deter it.

Edited by wilfros

See, I am not suggesting, nor would I ever suggest, that you do not tip!!!!! Really!!! I'm trying to make an ethical and trust argument here!! It really should not be this difficult!

Can you really trust that 100 percent (ONE HUNDRED PERCENT) of your auto tipping is going straight to the staff. OR..... OR .... might there be an administrative fee???? If so then what percentage would that fee be???? Is it fair to the staff or has this fee been forced upon them just as these room service fees have been forced upon us???? It was not us that caused this break in trust but rather Princess that demonstrated this unethical act.

Now do you see? This is a trust issue! Once the trust is broken at what point can you then say they can again be trusted??

Go ahead, as I will, and tip away!!! Just don't freely give your money over to the management of those who's acts appear to be untrustworthy.

When I give my money directly to the staff at least I have done what I can to ensure those who deserve it are, in fact, receiving it from me. Should there then be any back room deals taking place between Princess and staff I have done what I can to deter it.

I feel the same way about this being an ethical and trust issue however as I said I would never consider reacting by removing auto tips. I will keep the auto tip to be shared in the tip pool & then the extra cash I give directly to staff they get to keep as a small token of my thanks to those who directly provided service to me.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I feel the same way about this being an ethical and trust issue however as I said I would never consider reacting by removing auto tips. I will keep the auto tip to be shared in the tip pool & then the extra cash I give directly to staff they get to keep as a small token of my thanks to those who directly provided service to me.

You understand it is a trust issue BUT .....

I completely understand and IT IS YOUR RIGHT to do as you wish, especially concerning something as sensitive as tipping. My question that remains is, at what point, or what does Princess have to do in order to put you to the point where enough is enough?

Princess has already demonstrated their position on trust, when do you suggest we start demonstrating ours?

I had a longer post but cutting out the waffle

You cannot put something in a contract that overrides legislation.

EU package holiday regulations cover this area.

In the UK we have very low cost legal tracks for consumers to claim small amounts, the fees could be £25 for a claim up to £300 which would cover the issues here.

could be worth asending a letter before action from the ship if they won't refund the fees for a service you were sold as included on your trip.

6 deliveries a day for just one cabin and you're wondering why they're starting to add a delivery charge?

I never said I did that every day. And for your information, it was the room service supervisor that suggested we order each course separately. And for $700 a day, I think I paid my share for as much room service as I wanted on that cruise.

We really don't know yet if this will really happen. Some of you said you would not mind paying the $3 room service charge if you are allowed to order from the MDR menu. Great - that means another suite perk is gone. I only book suites because we like to relax by ourselves and enjoy our balcony. We order coffee in the morning before heading to breakfast in Sabitini's. Around 1:00 we order something small from room service. Then our afternoon treats come and maybe something before dinner. I am a very generous tipper - even when they change out the fruit. I also like to order MDR dinner about half the time. I like things hot and have learned to order by courses so that is at least three orders from room service and again, I tip each time. IF I have to pay $3 each time which might amount to 6 deliveries per day plus tips - no way!!! Our last cruise was a month in the grand suite which ran over $700 per day and since we had the dining room, we ordered dinner for up to eight people at least a dozen times. If this $3 is a per person charge, we might as well make them balcony dinners or will they increase that price also? I think suites pay more than their share. We paid $1200 a day for our OS on the Royal over New Years. I have several cruises booked so I will be keeping a close eye on this.

I was one of the posters that said we would pay the $3 service charge if we could get hot breakfast or MDR delivered any night (including formal nights).

However, I do think that suites should not have to pay the $3 fee. I also think they should get a couple free evenings in the specialty restaurants depending on length of cruise, but that's JMHO.