An Observation re Center Staircases

Hlitner

Just back from 25 days on the Ruby where there are 3 staircases including a center staircase. DW and I were on deck 10 (until our cabin was flooded and we were moved to deck 9) and although seniors, do try to use the steps instead of an elevator unless we are going more then 5 decks. The exercise is good, and avoiding a tight space with other cruisers is part of our basic strategy to reduce our exposure to coughing and sneezing which can easily spread various bugs.

While using steps we seldom noticed any other passengers doing likewise. We routinely watched fellow passengers (who appeared to be quite healthy and fit) take elevators even if they had to go down a single deck. One day a man hopped in the elevator, dripping sweat from a workout in the gym, to go 3 decks. We all had a laugh (including him) about the idea of working out for an hour and then using an elevator to go a few decks.

So my point is that although we have seen many complaints about the missing center staircase on the Royal and Regal...we wonder how many of the whiners would actually use the steps if they existed.

Hank

Having a center staircase makes it especially convenient when only going up or down one flight of stairs. :)

LuLu

We agree, but our Ruby "eyes" spied very few folks using the stairs for even 1 flight. It is amazing how some will wait 5 min for an elevator to go down one flight. Have to wonder if all those folks have 1 level homes :).:rolleyes:

please dont fault the "healthy" looking people using the elevators. i was one not so very long ago. I looked fine...im 53 and was mobile but i suffered from osteoarthritis of my hip. the pain was unbearable especially up and down stairs. thank god ive had it replaced and have become pain free, but at the time the elevators were the only way to go. i know people looked at me funny when i used the elevator to go up one floor, but short of wearing a sign it was unavoidable. god bless you guys are able to have the option of using the stairs or the elevators. some people are not as fortunate. vickie

please dont fault the "healthy" looking people using the elevators... god bless you guys are able to have the option of using the stairs or the elevators. some people are not as fortunate. vickie

I look very healthy, but I would probably look less so if I were to drop dead from my bad heart while climbing stairs my doctor told me to avoid.

Hi All

I like the stairs OK after ten decks l look like l have done 6 hours on a tread mill

Waiting for elevators to then get packed in like sardines in a tin is not fun

Your Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

I have knee, hip, heart, and lung issues, but I can workout regularly at the gym. However, when I go to the second floor for the cardio equipment, I need to take the elevator. Down is just as bad as up the stairs. I get funny looks doing that.

One of the biggest issues, IMHO, with the Royal Princess and lack of stairs is that the mid-ship elevators aren't banked. In other words, if you push the elevator button, it's just for the two elevators nearest you. People then push the button on the other side and the panorama elevators. Then, they get on the first elevator to arrive. The next elevator stops to an empty lobby. The incidence of "local" elevator rides is very high, and frustrating. You have no choice: you have to wait for the elevator. If I'm waiting, I'll often go up or down a deck or two. But can't on the Royal. :(

please dont fault the "healthy" looking people using the elevators. i was one not so very long ago. I looked fine...im 53 and was mobile but i suffered from osteoarthritis of my hip. the pain was unbearable especially up and down stairs. thank god ive had it replaced and have become pain free, but at the time the elevators were the only way to go. i know people looked at me funny when i used the elevator to go up one floor, but short of wearing a sign it was unavoidable. god bless you guys are able to have the option of using the stairs or the elevators. some people are not as fortunate. vickie

I totally agree. Handicaps are not always visual and obvious. Don't judge people who are forced to wait for elevators to go even one floor.

Just back from 25 days on the Ruby where there are 3 staircases including a center staircase. DW and I were on deck 10 (until our cabin was flooded and we were moved to deck 9) and although seniors, do try to use the steps instead of an elevator unless we are going more then 5 decks. The exercise is good, and avoiding a tight space with other cruisers is part of our basic strategy to reduce our exposure to coughing and sneezing which can easily spread various bugs.

While using steps we seldom noticed any other passengers doing likewise. We routinely watched fellow passengers (who appeared to be quite healthy and fit) take elevators even if they had to go down a single deck. One day a man hopped in the elevator, dripping sweat from a workout in the gym, to go 3 decks. We all had a laugh (including him) about the idea of working out for an hour and then using an elevator to go a few decks.

So my point is that although we have seen many complaints about the missing center staircase on the Royal and Regal...we wonder how many of the whiners would actually use the steps if they existed.

Hank

It is also interesting to note that on the ships with the midship stairs, there are many reviews complaining about the crowded and slow elevators. So one wonders why this would be. I guess that even though there are stairs to use, very few people use them.

We used the mid ship elevators on the Royal without much difficulty. A lot of elevator use complaints are by those that don't understand that they have to share the ride and be patient.

One of the biggest issues, IMHO, with the Royal Princess and lack of stairs is that the mid-ship elevators aren't banked. In other words, if you push the elevator button, it's just for the two elevators nearest you. People then push the button on the other side and the panorama elevators. Then, they get on the first elevator to arrive. The next elevator stops to an empty lobby. :(

Exactly… Exactly. I did get a laugh from the OP’s note about the guy using the elevator after working out – but, I understand the need for many to use the elevators. My DW has a bad knew (multiple surgeries from an old USAF (veteran) injury. I use the stairs for Muster drill, and I make sure she uses the elevator. But, one or two decks? Really? Rule of thumb should be 1 up or 2 down, use the stairs.

As noted ---- the non-ganged elevators end up causing them to stop at every deck – even when those pressing the buttons have been long gone. And, some folks press both the up and down buttons – which even causes more issues. Especially in the center ship elevators.

Talk about a local vice express… yikes! We use the elevators fore and aft, but hardly never in the center.

Interesting observation. I rarely use the elevators when I cruise. I hate being in confined spaces with a lot of people. I will typically take the stairs from my cabin to the Lido, etc. On the cruises I've done I've seen quite a few people taking stairs but you are right, the majority are using the elevators.

My wife is the same way. She looks perfectly healthy, walks without a limp or a cane. But it is very painful for her to walk up or down a flight of stairs. Some days are better than others, and she's able to walk down one or two decks if necessary. But most of the time she needs to take the elevator, even to go just one deck. You can't always judge people by their looks.

Goodness. People have a right to take or not take stairs as they wish. For many of us, I think our inclination to climb stairs depends on how many flights, what we're carrying, how tired we are, what hurts, what doesn't, etc. In other words, it varies. I really think that most people who are able would much prefer to climb stairs than wait 10 minutes for space in an elevator. And those that aren't able have a right to complain when they spend several minutes, several times each day waiting for one with space.

And as for suggesting that people might not understand they need to share the ride and be patient...how very patronizing!! I think most people, by the time they reach adult age, understand that quite well! I also think that most people, after waiting for several minutes while elevator after elevator arrives, too full to accommodate one more person, might have a right to conclude there's an issue with the elevators on the Royal Princess.

If complaints are made about elevators on the ships with center staircases, then one would have to conclude there are issues with the elevators on all the ships, not just the Royal.:D

If complaints are made about elevators on the ships with center staircases, then one would have to conclude there are issues with the elevators on all the ships, not just the Royal.:D

The elevators operate in a different way on the Royal and Regal, the call buttons are not grouped together. No doubt Princess will start charging per ride for elevator in the future.

To the OP, there are plenty of people who use the stairs everyday. We use the stairs on all ships (including the Royal where we had to walk either fore or aft, but still did it).

On our recent 28 day S. Pacific cruise my DH is proud to say he never once used an elevator. Even if that meant climbing from deck 5 after visiting the internet cafe and heading up to deck 14 for lunch. I think I used the elevators twice when carrying juice from the buffet to the International cafe, so I wouldn't spill anything on the stairs coming down. It sure helps with the weight gain when you do all that stair climbing.

Edited by StLouisCruisers

I'm a big "whiner", as you called it, of the missing center stairs as I always use them. I never use the elevator. Also put me down as a "whiner" about the size of the balconies on the Royal/Regal. I love my balcony and use it all the time.

Not sure the point of your post.

The elevators operate in a different way on the Royal and Regal, the call buttons are not grouped together. No doubt Princess will start charging per ride for elevator in the future.

We were on the Royal at the end of March. There must have been many improvements and corrections during the months preceding our cruise. The elevators worked the same as they do on the other 9 Princess cruises we've taken.

Stairs or no stairs, people always complain about the elevators no matter what ship they are on.

Stairs or no stairs, people always complain about the elevators no matter what ship they are on.
The interesting thing is that there are few complaints about the lack of a center staircase on the Grand. Guess it's become a non-issue. :)

If the mid-ship elevators on the Royal have been re-programmed, that would go a long way towards fixing the slow/local elevator issue. I'm not a whiner but they were very frustrating last October whether you were waiting for an elevator or on one stopping at every deck.