Lyttelton/Christchurch Port Restored?? Could Be Years!!

Most bus tours via Celebrity went from Littleton (the industrial port of Christchurch) via the city to the Tranz Alpine Railway.

On my live/blog, Jackie & Adrian posted this comment about the Lyttelton port near Christchurch. In the nearly two years before our cruise down under, it appeared that most all of the cruises stopping near Christchurch were using Akaroa, New Zealand, as their planned location. Checking this morning on the Celebrity website for cruises scheduled ahead through as late as Feb. 2016, they all listed Akaroa as the port where the Solstice will be tendering for the future. Any added and/or better information from those living down under?

Is Akaroa best or ideal? It is a super scenic location, but at some distances from Christchurch and other locations, such as what we did for the Tranz Alpine and JetBoat. Prior to the earthquake damage, the Christchurch suburb of Lyttelton was where cruise ships docked. As has been described on the BBC Web site, however, Lyttleton was "unlivable" following the earthquakes. Telecommunications, water supplies and power were heavily damaged. Others described Lyttelton harbor as being close to the epicenter and being badly damaged.

From the Fairfax newspaper in Wellington last summer, they had this headline: "Lyttelton impasse keeps cruise ships out" with these highlights: "Lyttelton may not welcome cruise ships again for several years with the potential loss of millions of dollars of tourist revenue. Cruise companies representatives and tourism operators told The Press they understood the port would not reopen to cruise ships before as late as 2017. The port lost the cruise ship business mainly to Akaroa harbour after the 2011 earthquakes. More than three years on, it is still at loggerheads with insurers. Managing director of Renaissance Tours Tony Petrie represents Royal Caribbean Cruiseline, the second-biggest cruise company in the world. One of their ships, Voyager of the Sea, cannot berth in Akaroa because it does not have small boats to carry their passengers to the shore. The ship would not need tenders to berth in Lyttelton Port, which had a wharf. To speed up Lyttelton repairs, cruise liners are willing to help the port via a 'recovery levy' their passengers would pay directly to the port when tourism operators collect them onshore. Insurance issues needed to be resolved before the port could commit to any date for the repairs to start. One official noted 'If you'd asked me a year ago when the repairs would start, I would have said this year but now I am not sure.' Given that about 500 port assets, including the head office building in Lyttelton, wharves and piles have been damaged, there is one rough estimate of a $500m damage total. High Country Explorer Tours director Rod Bennett leads a group of 38 unhappy tourism operators and activity providers who are calling Lyttelton to speed up repairs to welcome cruise ships again. He said several sources confirmed the port would not host cruise ships again before 2017. Until then, cruises would have to berth in Akaroa. Bennett said transport costs for tourism operators to pick up and drop off passengers from Akaroa had forced many smaller companies out of business. Fewer passengers were interested in booking an excursion that would require more than an hour travelling, he said."

Our stop in Akaroa worked super well, especially with what we did from this location. But, it is sad to learn more for how long it is taking to get things restored in both Christchurch and their nearby docking port of Lyttelton. Lots of hopes, but little for specifics and concrete time-tables, budgets and completion schedules.

Full story at:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/9250502/Lyttelton-impasse-keeps-cruise-ships-out

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 58,547 views for this fun posting.

I think one must look at priorities when looking at a cruise port in Christchurch. Families are still waiting for their homes to be repaired some three years after the earthquakes and city infrastructure is in some parts of the city in chaos. One part of the city has had land drop in some place over half a metre in height from pre earthquake times. This means that the 1 in 100 year flood occurs every three weeks when it rains and houses are flooded out out. It is estimated that it could be up to two years before this issue alone is resolved. Finding a cruise port that makes life easier for cruisers is definitely not on the priority list for the city fathers, nor should it be. I think it is going to be a long time post 2017 before we see cruise ships tied up alongside in Lytlleton. Sure Akaroa may created some issues for cruise lines but I have yet to hear of any significant complaints about it as a cruise port. If going to Akaroa instead of Lytlleton is the only issue on a cruise then things aint too bad

Appreciate these added insights and background for our fellow Cruise Critic poster from Wellington. Thought it would be good to share here. YES!! Agree that things, from what I have read, have been very challenging for those living and working Christchurch. Your comments and details give added perspective and background.

Below is an article that I just pulled up from the Dominion Post in Wellington. In this editorial in tomorrow's newspaper, they have this heading: "Have insurers blown their cover?". Here are some of the details from this opinion piece: "Home insurance used to mean 'total replacement'. If your house got blown over, you'd get a new one, as close as possible to the original, no matter the cost. In the wake of the Christchurch earthquakes, with their mammoth reconstruction bill, insurers have moved to put a cap on how much they will pay out homeowners. That's defensible - they, and their international reinsurers, have been badly burned by the quakes, and they need a better idea of their liabilities. The onus has fallen on homeowners to determine exactly how much cover they need. If they get it wrong, they could be in real trouble, caught hundreds of thousands of dollars short of rebuilding the house they once owned. To be fair, insurance companies do send out a rough suggestion for a figure. But what's most alarming is that these 'default sums' are consistently too low. One surveyor says the suggested sums will leave many people with a 'garden shed' instead of their house if an earthquake hits. Costs such as demolition, retaining walls, driveways and patios, GST and inflation will apparently eat up much of the cover. It's hard to argue with a company that's looked at 30,000 houses and found they're typically 25 to 50 per cent under-insured. Some industry figures suggest that people, especially older people in large houses, might deliberately under-insure themselves, and accept a smaller house if disaster strikes."

We did not complain about Akaroa. Loved this location and what we did here. BUT, I know that this location change and distance away has hurt many service/tour providers for this part of NZ. Their revenues, staffing and economics are down in a major way, adding to the negative economic impact. Clearly, it's a sad situation. From everything we had heard, the pre-quake Christchurch was very beautiful, inspiring and architecturally loved. Tough situation all around.

Full story at:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/comment/editorials/10082645/Editorial-Have-insurers-blown-their-cover

THANKS for this added information! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 143,921 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Its going to take a very very long time (at lest 20 years, in my option) to fix Lyttelton and Christchurch.

Hopefully after 2017 Lyttelton and Christchurch might be able to get some money from the cruise ships passengers.

The business people of Akaroa, who are doing very nicely from the cruise ship trade probably hope Lyttleton Wharf never comes back into operation. I was in Akaroa last year on Celebrity Solstice, local cafes/shops have done a bit of remodelling to cater for cruise pax, they would not want to see their investment wasted.

Just my two cents worth anyway.

Just to clarify....The Port of Lyttleton is still operating...for containers , freight and coal. The rubble from the earthquake is being used to reclaim more land for the container port. They cannot open up for cruise ships yet as the many cracks that have appeared would be a danger to any pedestrian traffic.

Just to clarify....The Port of Lyttleton is still operating...for containers , freight and coal. The rubble from the earthquake is being used to reclaim more land for the container port. They cannot open up for cruise ships yet as the many cracks that have appeared would be a danger to any pedestrian traffic.

Let us hope that the wharf can be repaired and made safe sooner rather than later.:D

I'd love to cruise New Zealand and it's on my to do list as I've never been to the North Island.

I used to live in Christchurch and in my opinion Akaroa is just too far to venture in for the day, it's at least a 90 minute each way windy (very beautiful! ) drive..I much prefer my ship to stop at Lyttleton as it is not very far at all from the city..

I agree it's going to take a long time to fix Chch, I moved back to Oz four years ago and have been back twice since the earthquake (last time was a year ago), and I still love the place!

I'd love to cruise New Zealand and it's on my to do list as I've never been to the North Island.

I used to live in Christchurch and in my opinion Akaroa is just too far to venture in for the day, it's at least a 90 minute each way windy (very beautiful! ) drive..I much prefer my ship to stop at Lyttleton as it is not very far at all from the city..

I agree it's going to take a long time to fix Chch, I moved back to Oz four years ago and have been back twice since the earthquake (last time was a year ago), and I still love the place!

We loved Chch too. If we didn't gave the commitments here we would have happily relocated there. Great place. Loved everything about it. :)

We loved Chch too. If we didn't gave the commitments here we would have happily relocated there. Great place. Loved everything about it. :)

I was very lucky to live there before the quakes. We moved back 6 weeks before the September 2010 quake. My husband grew up there but most of his family lives here in Oz..

I was very lucky to live there before the quakes. We moved back 6 weeks before the September 2010 quake. My husband grew up there but most of his family lives here in Oz..

Good timing by the sounds of it.:D

• 2 weeks later...
Terry what has been a loss for the Lyttleton operators has been a boon for the Akaroa operators. I guess one can call it a boom and bust situation. The Akaroa operators are realistic to acknowledge that one day the goose with the golden egg will disappear, that said cruise liners may still use Akaroa because of port charges or lack thereof. But that is for another day and discussion. Regarding the insurance of properties - Residential NZ have lived in a somewhat insurance Utopia for years pre CHCH earthquakes. For a relative small price residential properties were insured for full replacement value irrespective of condition, types of terrain etc. It was an across the board balancing act. After the CHCH quakes insurance companies after years of significant profits over nearly 100 years took a big hit and some haven't survived being bailed out by the government. What has happened now is that residential property owners must now determine the value of insurance they want to pay for, but if they over insure the companies will only pay out up to the reinstatement costs and if they under insure and repairs are greater than sum assured they will only get a payout to the lower sum. The insurance companies provide an initial figure they believe the insurance value should be and it is up to the home owner to accept of increase / decrease the amount. All the insurance companies provide calculators on their respective websites to assist in making a calculation or one can get a Quantity surveyor in to provide an estimate. This will cost between $400 - $1000 depending upon the size and type of dwelling. This is the first renewal of policies under the new system and indications are that the insurance companies are around 100% light on their estimations. AS these revised policies are bedded in a truer realisation of insurance values will emerge. Commercial properties have always had a sum assured policy so it is not a new concept to NZ.

Hope that clarifies a few points. Have really appreciated your reports on your trip around NZ. We are on the Solstice doing the AKL - Perth leg next year. Pinched a couple of your fabulous photos as well. Regards Mike

Appreciate this added background/info from Bob in Wellington that was posted on my live/blog thread, plus the other comments from others. Very interesting!!! Glad that Mike was able to "pinch" a couple of my visuals. "Pinching" is a cute term or phrase that we don't often hear in America. It's also nice when he uses terms like "fabulous photos". Shows Mike is very smart and savvy!!

Our Aust-NZ live/blog is now over 60,000 views. Glad so many have "tuned in", made comments, asked questions, shared info. Keep it up. Happy to provide more, etc. Still have more details and an index to put together from my end.

Continue to be busy with lots of work, family and home projects, but the work efforts are helping pull together the dollars for our planned mid March-mid April 2015 Africa (Kenya-Zanzibar-Madagascar-South Africa-Botswana) combo trip with safaris and a 13-day cruise.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 60,152 views for this fun posting.

• 3 weeks later...

My cruise ship, Holland America Oosterdam, will be stopping in Akaroa. Should we just tour that location rather than trying to go to Christchurch? If so, what do you suggest we do?

Thanks

My cruise ship, Holland America Oosterdam, will be stopping in Akaroa. Should we just tour that location rather than trying to go to Christchurch? If so, what do you suggest we do? Thanks

For our "neighbor" to the east in Pennsylvania, yes, Akaroa is some distance away from certain of the key attractions and potentials. BUT, there are good options to consider in and around this super scenic part of NZ's South Island.

What we did was so totally exciting, fun and very thrilling!! What? The combined Tranz Alpine train AND, most important, the JetBoat ride. Was it good? Awesome!! Need positive proof? Below is some of my photo evidence that I am submitting. Plus some added details. Need more documentation?

Much depends on your budget, interests and levels of excitement you seek. BUT, you are in New Zealand, home of bungee jump and other action sports!! You won't be in Ohio or Pa.! Do you like excitement?

As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. Check out these postings for more info/background on the many great ports we visited in NZ, Aust., etc.

Reactions and added questions? Happy to supply more info, answer other questions, etc.

Here is more on Akaroa, its wonderful/scenic harbor and the history from when the captain of the French whaler first sailed into the area in the 1830's. France was thinking about the possibilities for colonization. The deep water could be a great port. Plus, the timbered hills and climate were attractive. The French were also concerned the British might gain control in these South Island ports to threaten their whaling operations. Whale blubber create oil used to light the streets of Paris and other cities. The North Island was already well populated by the English, requiring action if the South Island was to become a French colony.

This French captain felt that Akaroa would make an excellent base and began forming plans to take the South Island for France. He obtained signatures from 12 local Maori leaders and bought most of Banks Peninsula. But, by the time the French captain returned, the Treaty of Waitangi had been signed between the Maori Chieftains and the British at the Bay of Islands. Some French settlement happened, but this area became part of the UK-controlled region.

In Māori, Waimakariri has several meanings, one of which is "river of cold rushing water". The river rises on the eastern flanks of the Southern Alps, eight kilometres southwest of Arthur's Pass. As the river approaches the Canterbury Plains, it passes through a belt of mountains, and is forced into a narrow canyon (the Waimakariri Gorge), before reverting to its braided form for its passage across the plains. It finally enters the Pacific north of Christchurch. From

http://www.jetthrills.com

http://www.alpinejet.co.nz

there is more info on these jet boats, the area, visuals, etc. They note in the promotion info: "skim the shallows, spin in your own length, feel the power of our Hamilton Jets"!! True?? Absolutely and more.

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 63,466 views for this fun posting.

This picture shows just one example of the THRILLS during these fast, roaring shots up and down this narrow and scenic section of this river. I was fortunately seated right behind our excellent driver, Greg Peacock. I didn't get very wet, but those on the right side got more of the "showers". No extra charge. But, nobody got too wet. It was all part of the fun.:

JetBoatOne5_zps2c81c8a8.jpg

At a couple points during our about 25-minute trip on the river, Greg stopped at a scenic location in this river/gorge to give us more background on these boats, experiences in doing this work since 1998 for him, etc. Greg's sense of humor was wonderful!! These Hamilton Jet Boats were developed around 1960, including work done at this site to perfect the design and test the models/designs. Notice the great background/dramatic areas that we were "sailing" up and down?:

JetBoatOne2_zps433fff02.jpg

When pilot Greg put his hand up, as shown here, he was doing a twirling, rotating sign to warn us. It's 360 degree time and the need for us to be bracing as he would be doing a full-circle, high-speed spin in the middle of the river. WOW!! Times ten. Maybe even better. These were so fast and such fun!!:

JetBoatOne4_zpsda622714.jpg

Now finally, here is a picture that my wife loved. Notice her hands and those of others in our row super tightly gripping the safety bar? That says so much about the speed and thrills while roaring up and down this amazing stretch of scenic river. I showed my wife this picture (and several others like this one of her where the wind was blowing her hair in the opposite direction). She liked this picture so much, that she said to put this one in her obituary (not that this need is upcoming anytime soon). It showed her having fun and she said this ride was the most fun of the whole cruise/trip. We had lots of great moments on this trip, but this one was a unique and special ride in a location that is spectacularly world-class. And, perfect weather with good friends adds to the great joy!!:

JetBoatOne1_zpscafe58a3.jpg

Here is one my visual samples for some of what we saw and enjoyed along this route as we moved from the initial, flatter Canterbury Plains in moving towards the dramatic scenes in and around these Southern Alps of NZ's South Island. Notice one of the many tunnels and bridges needed to make this rail route to the western coast work? Not an easy route to engineer, build and maintain.:

TranzAlpineA3_zps4e11a984.jpg

Here is one of my visuals that gives a little sampling for the spectacular Waimakariri River gorge seen from the Tranz Alpine Rail trip. Great "drama" in this aspect of the trip, especially with the blue waters that we would later travel "up-close-and-personal" via a JetBoat trip.:

TranzAlpineA5_zps73e6fb17.jpg

Thanks, Terry. We will be there in early November if that makes any difference with respect to the river ride. while it certainly looks exciting, we tend to like seeing cities and sites when we are cruising. I know that Christchurch isn't as pretty as it once was but it sounds like the residents are trying to bring it back. I will look at your other posts for NZ.

Margie

Thanks, Terry. We will be there in early November if that makes any difference with respect to the river ride. while it certainly looks exciting, we tend to like seeing cities and sites when we are cruising. I know that Christchurch isn't as pretty as it once was but it sounds like the residents are trying to bring it back. I will look at your other posts for NZ. Margie

Appreciate, Marie, your follow-up. We've done lots of great cities, including visiting twenty two different countries in Europe. We've done once or more in and around most of the great cities of Europe. BUT, so much of New Zealand is all about nature, dramatic countrysides, wildlife, etc. The fresh air, bright light, scenic "drama" is really amazing. We really liked Wellington and Auckland as NZ's two largest cities. Many great options in both of these cities, plus some nice things in Dunedin. You can do more of the "urban thrills" there, plus in super wonder Sydney, etc.

I would strongly urge getting a good sampling for BOTH the city and country areas. Let me know any other questions, reactions, thoughts. Happy to share more.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 146,636 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923