Marketing Idea for HAL- Supermarket Music Phase Out

ew101

One thing that ruins the mood for me while cruising is both man made and controllable - the piped in supermarket music in all public areas of all cruise ships 24x7. It is even in libraries. A close second is the racket from blaring flat screen TVs.

There are some studies that suggest piped in music improves worker productivity or improves sales in shops. But do we need it in the corridors, libraries and open decks at sea? What if you want to sit in a vacant lounge at 8 am, watch the sea and read a book?

So my idea is- can HAL take one ship- maybe an older smaller one and shut off the supermarket music? This can be another experiment, maybe like Carnival did with the Paradise- and see if customers like it? Hopefully it will generate customer loyalty. Now if onboard sales plunge 35% I will accept defeat but I think it is worth a try.

One thing that ruins the mood for me while cruising is both man made and controllable - the piped in supermarket music in all public areas of all cruise ships 24x7. It is even in libraries. A close second is the racket from blaring flat screen TVs.

There are some studies that suggest piped in music improves worker productivity or improves sales in shops. But do we need it in the corridors, libraries and open decks at sea? What if you want to sit in a vacant lounge at 8 am, watch the sea and read a book?

So my idea is- can HAL take one ship- maybe an older smaller one and shut off the supermarket music? This can be another experiment, maybe like Carnival did with the Paradise- and see if customers like it? Hopefully it will generate customer loyalty. Now if onboard sales plunge 35% I will accept defeat but I think it is worth a try.

I don't recall music in the library?

Carol

...So my idea is- can HAL take one ship- maybe an older smaller one and shut off the supermarket music?

From your lips to Seattle's ears.

I would be happy if there were one inside room, and the aft pool area, that was an overhead noise-free zone on every ship.

Even the Explorers Lounge had loud classical music playing in the mornings on my recent cruise! :mad:

Pick a place! Any place! Just one indoor and one outdoor place where a person can listen to the sounds of silence! PLEASE!!!

Hardly heard any piped in music on our recent Zaamdam cruise. Seems to me when ever they turn on the music in the Lido pool area, someone came running up complaining about it. In actuality I kind of like a little background music.

I recall hearing it on embarkation day but after that only remember it in a few spots The Lido daytime and more "Italian" style music evenings there- I guess for Canaletto. "Spa" type music in spa areas. Noticed nothing in bars or in Pinnacle. Never ate in MDR so not sure what was there.

Music usually during the day at aft pool area.

Last week on the Zuiderdam, I heard no music except the live music. If they ever piped in music in the MDR, no one would hear it. I do miss the Adagio Strings (4) that used to play in the MDR on the R and S class ships, however.

On the Amsterdam, I spend an appreciable amount of time in the Ocean Lounge on the Upper Promenade deck. Many times the bar steward will turn on the elevator music while I’m trying to read or work on my computer.

I have found they will always turn the volume way down if I ask. And for those times a steward is not around, I simply go to the control panel behind where the band plays, and turn the volume all of the way down. I have NEVER had anyone not agree with my doing this.

Problem solved.

Scott & Karen

I think often people are so used to background music (or TV or radio) that it does not even register when its playing. I know many people who will get home and flip on the TV just to have some background sound in the empty house.

We keep a really quiet house and live in a very rural area so I am very sensitive to background noise, especially when I'm trying to read. I have had little success finding a quiet area on the ship.

I think often people are so used to background music (or TV or radio) that it does not even register when its playing. I know many people who will get home and flip on the TV just to have some background sound in the empty house.

The volume and nature of the sounds makes a difference, too. When you are playing something of your choice, you are not going to find it objectionable.

I can sit with the radio playing for hours while using the laptop, and never even notice what songs are playing. But it's a genre I enjoy, at a soft volume, so it truly is background music.

When the ship is playing something you don't care for, at a noticeable volume, then it's noise---like fingernails on a chalkboard.

what would be appropriate music to satisfy everyone on the ship?

Would it be better for each area to have designated music and have it posted? This room will have salsa music, this room will have lawrence welk, this room and the pool will be top 10 all genres?

Would all 1500-1800 people on any ship be satisfied by the same music, volume, or absence thereof? Could the people on this particular thread come to an agreement? Or should it be all or nothing?

I'm bringing ear plugs and ear buds with my Kindle since my preferred genre of music is most likely not what most people listen to - and I'll keep my voice down when I'm singing along!!

what would be appropriate music to satisfy everyone on the ship?

How about no overhead music? If you want to listen to something of your choice, then bring your own little electronic device w/earphones. If you don't want to hear anything, then it works for that, too. :D

How about no overhead music? If you want to listen to something of your choice, then bring your own little electronic device w/earphones. If you don't want to hear anything, then it works for that, too. :D

I'd be good with that - I'm one of the no TV people. I have audio-overload at work so am very happy with silence. I'm okay with a little background music at dinner, but the kind you have to stop and listen for, not blaring loud. And I'd be okay with some places having music - I could choose to go there if I wanted, but not everywhere all the time.

Wierd.

I have never noticed any supermarket music on the NA or Eurodam; other than the obvious HAL Cats, or performer in the Crow's nest etc.

We also have a quiet house and I rarely listen to music in my car.

Are the Signature Class ships different?

I tend to notice small things and am baffled I have never noticed.

I'm another vote for no music.

During my work life, we combined three offices into one. The biggest bone of contention among these groups was what music to play during the day. The groups finally ended up with a revolving schedule of radio stations that repeated every five days.

Music preferences are very personal. If a person needs to listen to something, carry your own device and use ear buds.

I, for one, like to listen to silence.

With all the personal electronic devices these days, the ship does not need to supply background music. I like to listen to recorded books, but if the background music is loud, that isn't possible. (I don't have noise-cancelling headphones)

I haven't been bothered by background music on HAL, except for the time we went to the chocolate buffet (on Veendam?) and recorded music was BLARING so loud that we grabbed some desserts and got out of the Lido as quickly as we could.

If some of you think HAL's background music is bad, you should hear it on Princess. They play music everywhere, and much too loud, especially on deck. If we hadn't had a balcony, tiny though it was, I'd have gone stir-crazy hiding in my cabin on my one and only Princess cruise.

<snip>

If some of you think HAL's background music is bad, you should hear it on Princess. They play music everywhere, and much too loud, especially on deck. If we hadn't had a balcony, tiny though it was, I'd have gone stir-crazy hiding in my cabin on my one and only Princess cruise.

I don't remember that at all and I've been on quite a few Princess cruises. I wonder if it depends on the ship. I'm pretty noise sensitive.

From your lips to Seattle's ears.

I would be happy if there were one inside room, and the aft pool area, that was an overhead noise-free zone on every ship.

Even the Explorers Lounge had loud classical music playing in the mornings on my recent cruise! :mad:

Pick a place! Any place! Just one indoor and one outdoor place where a person can listen to the sounds of silence! PLEASE!!!

Silence would sound good to me. The track on the "O" was very short. If I never hear Adele again I'll be happy. They spoiled her for me:(

Edited by solocanadian

Wierd.

I have never noticed any supermarket music on the NA or Eurodam; other than the obvious HAL Cats, or performer in the Crow's nest etc.

We also have a quiet house and I rarely listen to music in my car.

Are the Signature Class ships different?

I tend to notice small things and am baffled I have never noticed.

Your ear holes are probably frozen shut. I lived in Ottawa 2 winters and you are welcome to it. Just kidding though about your ears - couldn't resist myself. Ottawas if beautiful in spring summer & fall but way too cold in winter. I can still hear the snow creek.:)

Gosh, I never noticed piped in music on my two AK cruises on HAL. I am not saying it was not happening, but I don't recall it. My guess is that if it did happen, it wasn't annoying to me at the time. I don't have any more cruises planned, but if I do go on one, I will be sure to take notice next time.