Packing for Norwegian Fjords

NIGirl

My husband and I are going on our first Celebrity Cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in July

Can anyone recommend things to do and what type of clothing would be required?

We are reasonably active and keen to see around

My husband and I are going on our first Celebrity Cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in July

Can anyone recommend things to do and what type of clothing would be required?

We are reasonably active and keen to see around

Hi NIGirl.

Which ports of call do you have?

Another great place to visit is the roll call for your cruise.

For clothes, I agree that your best approach is to layer your clothing.

Keith. The weather can vary and it can be cooler when you are at sea.

Keith

We just came from the fjords and I didn't once need my fleece. I did need my rain coat though. I mainly switched between short sleeves and only used 2-3 of my sweaters mainly on cruise days cause of the cold wind from the moving ship.

Think of the temperatures in NI, then subtract a couple of degrees!

We've just returned from Indy in Norway, and the weather was similar to home in the Lake District but just that degree or two colder- say 13 degrees instead of 15, but there was a lot of snow on the tops, so it soon got chilly on deck.

July should be a good temperature, because all those extra hours of daylight will have warmed the land.

One thing we noticed about Indy- we had an inside cabin, so needed to be on deck to see the views....there's not a lot of outward viewing spots on board unless you manage a sea view seat in the buffet. The popular viewing was from deck 4, the promenade deck, or 11, where the pools and sea screen were very underused because of the winds. I wore fleeces for much of the time, but again, July should be milder.

If you are going walking, then take your hiking boots, or at least some sturdy footwear.

If you watch BBC TV weather forecasts, you'll notice that the fjord areas of Norway are always shown in the top corner. We watched the week before we left, and noticed that the westerlies from the Atlantic crossed you, then us, as rain- but when they touched Norway they turned to snow....:)

Enjoy- absolutely spectacular! :cool:

• 2 months later...

Had a fantastic cruise to Norway. Weather fantastic - Got a bit of Sunburn! No rain and temperatures in the high 20s Celsius. Layers were taken, but not used. Thankfully had packed alot of shorts and tops. Raincoat and fleeces stayed in the wardrobe

Thanks to everyone that advised us

Had a fantastic cruise to Norway. Weather fantastic - Got a bit of Sunburn! No rain and temperatures in the high 20s Celsius. Layers were taken, but not used. Thankfully had packed alot of shorts and tops. Raincoat and fleeces stayed in the wardrobe

Thanks to everyone that advised us

Oh, thank you for coming back and telling us....and it's really good to know that you had weather in the 20s. We still look at the forecast, and see what's happening in Norway- the tail end of Hurricane Betty which brought that rotten weekend, passed across there a couple of days later, and I thought of all those cruise ships....:(

Good to know it was fantastic. :cool: