Cruising - Santiago to Buenos Aires

Hello

I am doing the above cruise in Jan. 2015.

For those who have done it ins, say, something like the Golden Princess, can you tell me if there is a lot of ship rocking motion?

I have only cruised in the Baltic, Caribbean and the Mediterranean, and I am sure that this is different!

Thanks.

I have sailed this itinerary five different times and can tell you that you just never know. The odds say that when you sail around the horn that you will have some very rough seas. We have had very rough seas, some moderate roughness and twice when the seas would bee calm.

My advice is to hope for the best and prepared for the worst in terms of medication.

It's a wonderful itinerary.

Enjoy!

Keith

chuckdefatia, you are very welcome.

I love taking photos as well and this will be a great cruise for that.

If you stop at Punta Arenas try to sign up with the excursion to take you to Otway Bay to see the Penguins.

There is a lot of beautiful scenery in ports and on the cruise.

Keith

chuckdefatia, you are very welcome.

I love taking photos as well and this will be a great cruise for that.

If you stop at Punta Arenas try to sign up with the excursion to take you to Otway Bay to see the Penguins.

There is a lot of beautiful scenery in ports and on the cruise.

Keith

We just got back from that cruise in April. The best place for penguins is in the Falklands at Volunteer Point. Try to book with Patrick Watts, as he is much less expensive than the ship

In Punta Arenas we were supposed to take a short drive to the ferry boarding area in for an approximately two-hour cruise northward in the Strait of Magellan to Magdalena Island. This is the home of the Magellanic penguins, and looked interesting.

However, the wheels came off early on, as again there was nobody from the ship directing us from the tender pier to the buses. We were told to be there by 11:30 AM, but when we finally got to the bus we were informed the bus would not leave until 12:45 PM. At 12:30 a ship’s representative got on the bus to inform us of a further delay and did not have enough sense to use the mike. People at the back of the bus could not even hear about the delay. The bus had been rescheduled to leave at 1:45, which meant we would not have gotten back to the ship until 7:30 PM.

At this point a number of us said this was totally unacceptable and turned in our tour tickets for a refund.

We then took the tender back to the ship, again thoroughly disgusted with the shore excursion people.

We wrote story with pictures about this trip that is on our website. We are always happy to answer questions.

Also we suggest you check in to your Roll Call for the trip.

Edited by Talisker92

Falkland Islands is a great place for Penguin Viewing but remember that about one third of the time the tenders can't go there due to the weather. So, always good to sign up for multiple Penguin Viewings and Ottway Bay about a 50 minutes drive from Punta Arenas is a great spot for them.

Keith