How do you respond?

runner2013

Here's another question for all you seasoned solos? How do you handle the 'looks' from people when you're standing in that long, long, long line to check in? Or even worse if they ask you why you are all by yourself?

The cruise itself wouldn't bother me at all but I have to admit, the standing in line by myself sort of intimidates me. :(

I don't recall getting any "looks." My answer to the why are you by yourself question depends on who is asking. I usually have traditional dining in the main dining room and I'm asked that by my table mates. I tell them that no one was able to travel with me because of schedules or finances. Outside of that, my response is why are you asking such a personal question? That causes them to back off!:D

Do you have any advice for the OP as to what to do if something like that should happen to her?

No real advice. It would be helpful if the OP could laugh it off or come up with a snappy comeback or just say "wow" and walk away. It beats getting all upset and deciding to stay in the cabin as much as possible. I was merely disagreeing with all those people who say, "Don't worry! No one will look at you! Or if they do, it will be just one person here or there! And it's because they're so jealous of you!"

I know a number of happily married people who like to vacation together, and I can't imagine them looking at a solo traveler and being jealous. None of them ever told me after their vacation, "I would have had a much better time if my spouse hadn't been with me."

I just wanted the OP to be prepared that there are some people who are nasty and who like to be mean to solo travelers. We would like to pretend that everyone is nice (I don't recall hearing couples complain about solos being mean to them because they are couples), but the world isn't like that.

Wow,

Didn't realize my curiosity would stir up a firestorm of debate among all you solo cruisers!

I'm the OP and wasn't trying to start any trouble or hard feelings, just looking to pick some brains is all:D.

I definately appreciate all the input from everyone. Makes me stop and think about things from a new perspective.

I will say this though.. No matter what type of reactions I may get from strangers -good or bad- they will NOT stop me from cruising or doing anything else I choose to just because I can't find someone else to come along. As far as the looks/comments go, i'll do my best to roll with it.

Life is way to short for anything else.:eek:

Good for you. Don't be scared off. LOL. Hope you have fun.

No real advice. It would be helpful if the OP could laugh it off or come up with a snappy comeback or just say "wow" and walk away. It beats getting all upset and deciding to stay in the cabin as much as possible. I was merely disagreeing with all those people who say, "Don't worry! No one will look at you! Or if they do, it will be just one person here or there! And it's because they're so jealous of you!"

I know a number of happily married people who like to vacation together, and I can't imagine them looking at a solo traveler and being jealous. None of them ever told me after their vacation, "I would have had a much better time if my spouse hadn't been with me."

I just wanted the OP to be prepared that there are some people who are nasty and who like to be mean to solo travelers. We would like to pretend that everyone is nice (I don't recall hearing couples complain about solos being mean to them because they are couples), but the world isn't like that.

I was only asking because I was curious about what others have experienced and how they handled it. While I do admit I may be a bit intimidated at check in, that in no way would make me stay in my room like some scared little girl once getting on board.:D Nor would a less than polite person cause me to go running away because I didn't want to answer his/her rude questions. I am well aware there are nice people and also not so nice people in the world and when it comes right down to it, I dont care what anyone else thinks of me. :rolleyes:

Never really been a problem, but I do usually tell people I have friends on board....These are strangers so always best to error on the side of caution, no one needs to know you are traveling alone.

There's not much one can do about "looks." I just tell myself that, if someone is looking at me funny, they are wondering if I know where the nearest bathroom is. And if someone says something rude (and, yes, it's happened), my standard answer is "wow." And to walk away if I can. It's amazingly effective.

I do get more curiosity than rudeness, particularly from the female half of couples. One woman finally did come out and say what I'd often suspected was on at least some of their minds: wives tend to outlive their husbands, and if her husband died first, would she do what I am doing? It made for an interesting conversation.

While some people I think do mean well in an awkward way, the proverbial "you are so brave" comments, others are just mean, totally clueless ignorant and intrusive. A couple examples:

On a Princess cruise: After hearing that I was alone, female in couple waves over the Maitre 'D and loudly states "we are not comfortable with that at the table! Arrogant a-- that he was states "well I have to seat it somewhere." Did not have a snappy comeback for that one. It was the first night and unfortunately set the tome for far too much of the trip.

On a Princess cruise: While sitting at the piano bar man says to me "you have been sitting there a while and my wife would like to sit down" I replied "then perhaps you should go find her a seat". He tried to get the bartender to tell me to move too!

On a Princess cruise: Was told I could not attend the Chef's Table event because then I would be depriving a couple the opportunity of attending!

On an Azamara cruise: While waiting in line to board, after hearing I was cruising alone female in couple asks "Is being alone allowed??" I stated that "I have been allowed out by myself for many years now"

At a land based resort: After hearing I was alone, female in couple says "why on earth would anyone go on vacation alone?" I stated "because I can".

Do people make nasty rude comments, yes. For the most part does it bother me or ruin my trip absolutely not. If it is a staff member I go to management ASAP, although it did no good at all on Princess.

For passengers, I usually come up with something fairly snappy to retort with and they skulk away, most of the time. The only person who can truly make you feel small is yourself. I love to travel and am not going to sit at home twiddling my thumbs because Mr. Right has not appeared and most of my friends are married.

While some people I think do mean well in an awkward way, the proverbial "you are so brave" comments, others are just mean, totally clueless ignorant and intrusive. A couple examples:

On a Princess cruise: After hearing that I was alone, female in couple waves over the Maitre 'D and loudly states "we are not comfortable with that at the table! Arrogant a-- that he was states "well I have to seat it somewhere." Did not have a snappy comeback for that one. It was the first night and unfortunately set the tome for far too much of the trip.

On a Princess cruise: While sitting at the piano bar man says to me "you have been sitting there a while and my wife would like to sit down" I replied "then perhaps you should go find her a seat". He tried to get the bartender to tell me to move too!

On a Princess cruise: Was told I could not attend the Chef's Table event because then I would be depriving a couple the opportunity of attending!

On an Azamara cruise: While waiting in line to board, after hearing I was cruising alone female in couple asks "Is being alone allowed??" I stated that "I have been allowed out by myself for many years now"

At a land based resort: After hearing I was alone, female in couple says "why on earth would anyone go on vacation alone?" I stated "because I can".

Do people make nasty rude comments, yes. For the most part does it bother me or ruin my trip absolutely not. If it is a staff member I go to management ASAP, although it did no good at all on Princess.

For passengers, I usually come up with something fairly snappy to retort with and they skulk away, most of the time. The only person who can truly make you feel small is yourself. I love to travel and am not going to sit at home twiddling my thumbs because Mr. Right has not appeared and most of my friends are married.

Hi,:) I remember you posting about the couple on Azamara before but

I had no idea about all the other situations you had been part of.....

And I mean this sincerely since I always sail solo......I am REALLY

SORRY you were treated that way:eek::(...omg....the man asked you

to give up your seat at the bar so his wife could sit down? What a

freakin idiot:rolleyes:...........

It takes all kinds of people to make up this world....so sorry you had

so many idiots on your vacations:mad:......

I remember a saying........

"You can't fix stupid"......... sounds like they were all the people you

met.

Hi,:) I remember you posting about the couple on Azamara before but

I had no idea about all the other situations you had been part of.....

And I mean this sincerely since I always sail solo......I am REALLY

SORRY you were treated that way:eek::(...omg....the man asked you

to give up your seat at the bar so his wife could sit down? What a

freakin idiot:rolleyes:...........

It takes all kinds of people to make up this world....so sorry you had

so many idiots on your vacations:mad:......

I remember a saying........

"You can't fix stupid"......... sounds like they were all the people you

met.

Thanks Lois! Sometimes I wonder if not making eye contact would stop the idiocy but then I look back on all of the really wonderful people I have met in my travels and keep doing what I am doing. I just laugh about it now!

I tell them the truth: My days are filled with taking care of everyone around me, so this is the week I get to take care of myself!

If they're the rude type, I go back to my reading and ignore them.

If they're friendly (the vast majority of people), I'll ask them how their trip is going, where they're from, etc.

Here's another question for all you seasoned solos? How do you handle the 'looks' from people when you're standing in that long, long, long line to check in? Or even worse if they ask you why you are all by yourself?

The cruise itself wouldn't bother me at all but I have to admit, the standing in line by myself sort of intimidates me. :(

I have done many solo cruises and no one ever asked why I am by myself. And frankly I never really noticed the looks. And standing in line is absolutely not a bit deal at all. It seems to me that you are just uncomfortable, after a few solo cruises you will feel differently. Trust me.

• 3 weeks later...
I have done many solo cruises and no one ever asked why I am by myself. And frankly I never really noticed the looks. And standing in line is absolutely not a bit deal at all. It seems to me that you are just uncomfortable, after a few solo cruises you will feel differently. Trust me.

Spoken like a New Yorker. Living in NYC gives one the ability and experience to deal with all kinds of social encounters. However, this NYer noticed that this thread really concerned female pax, and chuckled to myself that a male would have an entirely different response to certain stimulus from other pax.

I've gotten the looks and the comments. I have found that some people are just curious and want to know how it is on the other side of the fence sort of speak. I love it when people ask me. I light up and get to talking a mile a minute about my solo vacations. By the time I'm finished they want to travel solo and want to know if I'll switch cabins just one night so they can experience a solo cabin!