Tipping in a Suite

deege

I was curious on people's thoughts... I am not looking for a lecture or to start an argument but prior to booking our first suite I read that a lot of people tip their Butler and/or Concierge for the services they provide.

I had every intent on tipping but as our cruise went on my wife and I honestly did not feel a need to provide a tip. Do not get me wrong. They were both extremely nice and our room was always to our liking. However, we did not use them like I think most suite guests do, maybe because it was our first time? We did all of our own restauraunt reservations and booked our own excursions. We did not order room service. We also did not ask for anyhing for our room the entire trip. We booked the room more for the perks the ship offered in being in a suite and the position of the room. (Aft balcony).

My question is in your opinion tipping is something somewhat obligated when staying in a room like that regardless of how you use their services or is tipping based on them going above and beyond just the norm like how we used them?

Thanks for the input.

Did the butler or concierge perform any services for you at all? Did the butler bring snacks, bring you any DVDs, etc.? If so, you should have tipped them IMO. They are not part of the $12 per day DSC pool and rely on tipping as pay for the work they perform. I'm not sure what you mean by "above and beyond". I think that way for the Steward who already gets compensated by the DSC, that if they go above and beyond they may deserve some extra.

Again, my opinions are my own.

I think most people tip according to how often their services are used.

The butler replenishes the fruit basket, coffee, evening treats, etc. in your cabin.

Some people use the concierge for a lot, some don't.

I was curious on people's thoughts... I am not looking for a lecture or to start an argument but prior to booking our first suite I read that a lot of people tip their Butler and/or Concierge for the services they provide.

I had every intent on tipping but as our cruise went on my wife and I honestly did not feel a need to provide a tip. Do not get me wrong. They were both extremely nice and our room was always to our liking. However, we did not use them like I think most suite guests do, maybe because it was our first time? We did all of our own restauraunt reservations and booked our own excursions. We did not order room service. We also did not ask for anyhing for our room the entire trip. We booked the room more for the perks the ship offered in being in a suite and the position of the room. (Aft balcony).

My question is in your opinion tipping is something somewhat obligated when staying in a room like that regardless of how you use their services or is tipping based on them going above and beyond just the norm like how we used them?

Thanks for the input.

Did you get daily snacks delivered to your room or anything at all delivered to your room? The butler did that.

Did you meet the Concierge at anytime to get off the ship earlier at ports, or for tenders, or for disembarkation when your cruise was over? Or did you have no contact with him/her whatsoever?

Harriet

Personal preference. If you are satisfied with your decision, you are right.

What do you base your restaurant tip on? Use the same is my thought...but what ever you choose to guide yourself is just fine.

Honestly we spoke to the Bulter our first day on board and the said "Hi" maybe three or four times. He always asked if everything was ok in the room and that was it. As far as snacks go we did always have fruit and one night we had chocolates in the room.

We saw the Concierge on day one then occasionally at breakfast and at the little get togethers they have. Again, always curteous and nice.

By above and beyond I meant something along the lines anything outside of a standard room. I'm not sure what that would be because the service provided was the same as any other cruise we have been on with NCL. All have always been excellent. Maybe we just didnt know what to expect or ask for.

Did you get daily snacks delivered to your room or anything at all delivered to your room? The butler did that.

Did you meet the Concierge at anytime to get off the ship earlier at ports, or for tenders, or for disembarkation when your cruise was over? Or did you have no contact with him/her whatsoever?

Harriet

We did not get snacks daily it was a one time thing. And the two early disembarkations we did not use becuase we had excursions scheduled later and chose to stay on the ship until then. Disembarkation we just took all of our own things and got off on our own.

Also, My wife and I are very curteous to everyone. We didn't come off as rude or off putting to anyone, even some passengers that needed it. We say hello to everyone and thank them for their work. We are both under the mindset that tips are not given for the sake of being given. These are given for good service when those services are used. So everynight at the specialty restaunts we left a tip because our waiters were always outstanding. I just want to ensure that next time we do the right thing as far as tipping goes.

Edited by deege

My question is in your opinion tipping is something somewhat obligated when staying in a room like that regardless of how you use their services or is tipping based on them going above and beyond just the norm like how we used them?[/size][/font]

Thanks for the input.

My opinion is that tipping butler and concierge is appropriate if you are in a suite. We always tip a minimum and then more for above and beyond. For example, we always tip in a buffet restaurant on land even though many people do not, since they are usually getting their own food.

We factor at least a minimum into the total cruise cost.

Of course, tipping is an individual thing! And, as we know, it varies from culture to culture.

We did not get snacks daily it was a one time thing. And the two early disembarkations we did not use becuase we had excursions scheduled later and chose to stay on the ship until then. Disembarkation we just took all of our own things and got off on our own.

Also, My wife and I are very curteous to everyone. We didn't come off as rude or off putting to anyone, even some passengers that needed it. We say hello to everyone and thank them for their work. We are both under the mindset that tips are not given for the sake of being given. These are given for good service when those services are used. So everynight at the specialty restaunts we left a tip because our waiters were always outstanding. I just want to ensure that next time we do the right thing as far as tipping goes.

If the butler didn't bring snacks daily, then they weren't doing their job and didn't deserve a tip.

You did not use and made no request of their services. So no tip is fine. Since they are not included in the tip pool they are paid a far better salary than a room steward is. I also do not tip for services I do not request and do not make use of. Them being courteous to you is really the very minimum of their job.

My opinion is that tipping butler and concierge is appropriate if you are in a suite. We always tip a minimum and then more for above and beyond. For example, we always tip in a buffet restaurant on land even though many people do not, since they are usually getting their own food.

We factor at least a minimum into the total cruise cost.

Of course, tipping is an individual thing! And, as we know, it varies from culture to culture.

I agree with your opinion. Whether the concierge or butler were actually used, at least a minimal tip is appropriate. They were available and the OP chose not to use them. I find it very hard to believe that snacks were only delivered one afternoon. If that is the case, the OP should have asked why. Perhaps they only liked what was delivered one day? :confused:

OP, did you not use any of the coffee/tea/hot cocoa in your suite? Guess who keeps it stocked and the water filled in the coffee maker? Your butler!

Edited by peg013

sooo, if i do my job, should i ask my boss for tips going forward? (tho it's my own biz, I guess i could ask myself for more tips and see how that goes)

tho, if the butler ever changes my kids diapers, they're definitely getting a tip!

Edited by BuffetPantsPls

I agree with your opinion. Whether the concierge or butler were actually used, at least a minimal tip is appropriate. They were available and the OP chose not to use them. I find it very hard to believe that snacks were only delivered one afternoon. If that is the case, the OP should have asked why. Perhaps they only liked what was delivered one day? :confused:

OP, did you not use any of the coffee/tea/hot cocoa in your suite? Guess who keeps it stocked and the water filled in the coffee maker? Your butler!

If I were in a suite, I wouldn't have snacks delivered at all. I have no idea why someone would find it strange that the OP only had them once. Not everyone cruises for snacks.

If I were in a suite, I wouldn't have snacks delivered at all. I have no idea why someone would find it strange that the OP only had them once. Not everyone cruises for snacks.

I think the reason some might find it strange is because when in a suite one of the perks of the suite is afternoon snacks delivered to your suite every single day. That is in addition to keeping your fruit bowl filled. Unless, of course, the OP told them they didn't want/need the snacks delivered daily - it is kinda strange.

Harriet

Minimal tip whether you use the services or not. The option is always available to you . This in and of itself is part of the value when in a suite. More so for the butler than the concierge IMO. Its all part of sitting at the big kids table . ; )

Good luck with whichever path you take ..

You did not use and made no request of their services. So no tip is fine. Since they are not included in the tip pool they are paid a far better salary than a room steward is. I also do not tip for services I do not request and do not make use of. Them being courteous to you is really the very minimum of their job.

I disagree. The Butler and Concierge's livelihood is dependent on the tips from that suite for that sailing, these folks are paid peanuts, work seven days a week and long day, they also support their families back home.If you can afford a suite then you can afford a mininum tip.

I wouldn't tip if I didn't ask or use their services. Reading these boards enough people double and triple tip so it must work out in the end or the ships wouldn't have any crew left.

Edited by cruzsnooze

We were on the Dawn last week. We had snacks every day. Sandwiches, fresh fruit, cookies, candy, all sorts of fancy treats. We tipped him $40. There were 4 of us in the suite and 3 in the adjoining mini suite who helped us devour the snacks. We also tipped the concierge $40. He was always able to get us a table for 7 without any waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Dawn last week. We had snacks every day. Sandwiches, fresh fruit, cookies, candy, all sorts of fancy treats. We tipped him $40. There were 4 of us in the suite and 3 in the adjoining mini suite who helped us devour the snacks. We also tipped the concierge $40. He was always able to get us a table for 7 without any waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow! I think you very much under tipped! Or maybe,we very much over tip! We tipped our butler $200 on the Epic last year and concierge $100. We were 2 people in our suite. We plan to tip more on the Getaway as there will be 3 of us in our room.

Everybody tries to avoid throwing out actual numbers, but I use the guideline of $10 per person per day for the butler and $5/person/day for the concierge, and adjust up or down based on services actually used/received.

I do the same thing.