Official Celebrity Beverage Packages

I still think you don't quite get it. I have followed this thread and many of the others for as long as you have. You and a few others seem to have trouble discerning between someone making a statement about the drinks they like and people complaining.

I have seen many posts that go something like "Pina coladas* are not on the list" or similar (*insert your favourite drink). I have not really taken any of them as complaints. Rather a poster just expressing a little disappointment that their favourite may be missing. The major complaints came because (I repeat again for the umpteenth time) the amount and variety of drinks was slashed across the board after people had paid for or taken the package as an inducement to book the cruise at a certain price point and time.

All I and most of the others who complained wanted to see is a list similar to the one which Celebrity have published. I now also see a cocktails list. It matters not to me in my evaluation of fair play if my favourite is there or not. What I do NOW see is a large list of which I am sure I can find more than a few that I and my DW will enjoy. There is plenty of choice all across the classic now so there appears to be no complaints from the original protagonists about the classic from what I can see. I also think that most if not all can also understand that not every one of the drinks listed will ALWAYS be available on each ship just as they understand that there will almost certainly be more than is on the list available on the classic.

The only 2 complaints that seems to still exist now are that the number of wines available on the premium has (or appears to have) been drastically reduced and that Celebrity has still not bothered to state 100% that punters with the premium only have to pay the extra above the premium limit if a drink falls outside their package.

I can see both sides of this conversation, as well as the irony of the statements above. Whether it was a complaint or some other statement, doesn't diminish the validity, it is OK to "complain" when you're not happy. Whether you call it a complaint, or something else, like "bringing a matter to the attention of the powers that be" isn't it semantics?

People want what they drink included, and to make sure it is there. It is also impossible to create a comprehensive list that includes every drink that would be part of the package.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

I still think you don't quite get it. I have followed this thread and many of the others for as long as you have. You and a few others seem to have trouble discerning between someone making a statement about the drinks they like and people complaining.

The major complaints came because (I repeat again for the umpteenth time) the amount and variety of drinks was slashed across the board after people had paid for or taken the package as an inducement to book the cruise at a certain price point and time.

All I and most of the others who complained wanted to see is a list similar to the one which Celebrity have published. I now also see a cocktails list. It matters not to me in my evaluation of fair play if my favourite is there or not. What I do NOW see is a large list of which I am sure I can find more than a few that I and my DW will enjoy. There is plenty of choice all across the classic now so there appears to be no complaints from the original protagonists about the classic from what I can see. ....

Sorry for editing your post rather heavily, it does again make some very good points.

The outstanding issue at present seems to be regarding a lack of choice of wines that are now included in the package(s).

Could we not all agree that

1. The change hasn't been handled well from the X side.

2. The packages should have roughly kept the same inclusions, and if necessary to do this the price should have been increased for new purchasers/ or receivers of the inducement to book

At the end of the day these packages are to make X money and to give their Customers convenience of not having to bother about the mechanics of paying and having a guaranteed price at the end of the cruise (which I guess is comforting for a lot of Customers). Reading through the various threads it does seem that the packages are very popular and have operated well for a number of years.

If we wanted to turn the clock back couldn't X have created a new package that would have included only house brands, given that out as the inducement and then offered upgrades (at a cost) to anyone who wanted them. This simple step would have prevented all of the issues that have occured since the Eclipse arrived in Europe as the contents of the Classic and Premium packages would have remained basically the same, and Customers who booked either of them would have got what they expected

Edited by SWORRUB1

I still think you don't quite get it.

I have seen many posts that go something like "Pina coladas* are not on the list" or similar (*insert your favourite drink). I have not really taken any of them as complaints. Rather a poster just expressing a little disappointment that their favourite may be missing. The major complaints came because (I repeat again for the umpteenth time) the amount and variety of drinks was slashed across the board after people had paid for or taken the package as an inducement to book the cruise at a certain price point and time.

The only 2 complaints that seems to still exist now are that the number of wines available on the premium has (or appears to have) been drastically reduced and that Celebrity has still not bothered to state 100% that punters with the premium only have to pay the extra above the premium limit if a drink falls outside their package.

Oh, I got it, and I even answered the posters query explaining a pina colada is same as daiquiri and cokes are part of the package. I confirm this from my sailing on Summit last week having enjoyed my Pina for $7.

Does anyone really think they were going to stop serving pina coladas? Does anyone not get that a pina coloda is just a simple frozen drink with a splash of booze aded in and therefore fits whatever package the booze that goes into it fit into? I assume a Pina drinker would know what booze goes into it pif it is their favorite and preferred drink, especially if posting here as informed consumers.

And several keep posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over. When Celebrity has an answer ready to give out, i'm sure they will get the answer out. As another poster here said, as they have not yet stopped allowing one to pay the overage on the premium package, why would one assume they have stopped it...that makes no sense and in effect has answered its own question.

What Celebrity has learned from these threads is to be very, very very careful about what material information they put into print. so perhaps they feel its best to leave the overage payment as an undocumented perk for now, and not document it.

It has never been a published perk (and if there were an official policy from Celebrity in writing, I have asked for someone to point me to it, but so far no one has and I've never seen it in writing either - it's been discussed before in these boards that it is just an undocumented perk that is allowed) that one can pay the overage, it's just always been the way, so why would they care to put it into official print and policy now and lose flexibility in their pricing model in the future. I think it's a perk that's appropriate, and makes sense myself but realize it is not written on any of Moses's stone tablets either and am happy to partake of it as long as they choose to offer it. For me and the vast number of their customs, it's not the make or break decision on cruising, though for some here it seems to be the critical point in that decision making process

As to changes in offering, they need to cover costs and return shareholder value somehow, so they are following what many related industries do, leave the core prices alone and charge more for the extras. Airlines have proven this to be a successful model hearing the news on their profits this week, so cruise lines need to as well.

If the answer to such a minor question is so important, perhaps Celebrity really isn't the right line for those folks, and they should look to sail elsewhere to ensure their happiness.

What X has made clear with recent published lists, is that all drinks and brands are subject to change at any time without notice, so even if a Pina were to be covered today, one could book tomorrow, and find pina as missing the next day, and have absolutely no reason to complain, so what's it really matter end of the day - this data point will never be finite and absolute.

Edited by cle-guy

If we wanted to turn the clock back couldn't X have created a new package that would have included only house brands, given that out as the inducement and then offered upgrades (at a cost) to anyone who wanted them. This simple step would have prevented all of the issues that have occured since the Eclipse arrived in Europe as the contents of the Classic and Premium packages would have remained basically the same, and Customers who booked either of them would have got what they expected

I agree with you, it was a mess, but it passed except for a few folks here who won't let it go. Which seems to be the Celebrity way honestly, drop a bomb, let the fallout happen and people forget and move on (see captains club changes...). Some may not agree with this model, but it seems to honestly work. Even if they made a proactive announcement, all those in these forums complaining would still complain so rather than make a big hullabaloo out of the announced changes, they basically literally made them under cover of darkness.

As to drinks on offer and pricing, In essence this is how it's always been. Lower brands in one level, higher brands in another. However there is no absolute definition on what a house brand is without publishing a branded list, ... which is how we got here.

Some bars call Smirnoff vodka a house brand, others a Call brand depending on the variety of vodkas a particular bar offers. Some serve Grey Goose as a house, others as a premium.

SO what X has decided to do with the change is fall back more firmly in relating drinks to prices without regard for brands, so as they change the price for particular brands it rolls into the appropriate package.

The changed package had a vodka, had a rum, had a gin etc. Just turns out they were crappy brands people didn't prefer and they wanted a "more premium" brand of liquor brought back into the "house" brands.

I get some feel they had bait and switch, but that's how business works sometimes, Celebrity has plenty of "out clauses" in their contracts and terms to allow for this activity relative to their free perks they offer otherwise we'd have heard by now about some sort of settlement or action with regulatory authorities.

Yes it sucks to lose something one felt they were entitled to, but reality was, there was no entitlement to anything specific other than cheap drinks, whatever cheap drinks X chooses to offer.

Edited by cle-guy

What Celebrity has learned from these threads is to be very, very very careful about what they put into print.

Given all of the typos that people have found on their website, I suspect that this may be a thing that they have not learned.

Oh, I got it, and I even answered the posters query explaining a pina colada is same as daiquiri and cokes are part of the package. I confirm this from my sailing on Summit last week having enjoyed my Pina for $7.

Does anyone really think they were going to stop serving pina coladas? Does anyone not get that a pina coloda is just a simple frozen drink with a splash of booze aded in and therefore fits whatever package the booze that goes into it fit into? I assume a Pina drinker would know what booze goes into it pif it is their favorite and preferred drink, especially if posting here as informed consumers.

And several keep posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over. When Celebrity has an answer ready to give out, i'm sure they will get the answer out. As another poster here said, as they have not yet stopped allowing one to pay the overage on the premium package, why would one assume they have stopped it...that makes no sense and in effect has answered its own question.

What Celebrity has learned from these threads is to be very, very very careful about what they put into print. so perhaps they feel its best to leave the overage payment as an undocumented perk for now, and not document it.

It has never been a published perk (and if there were an official policy from Celebrity in writing, I have asked for someone to point me to it, but so far no one has and I've never seen it in writing either - it's been discussed before in these boards that it is just an undocumented perk that is allowed) that one can pay the overage, it's just always been the way, so why would they care to put it into official print and policy now and lose flexibility in their pricing model in the future. I think it's a perk that's appropriate, and makes sense myself but realize it is not written on any of Moses's stone tablets either and am happy to partake of it as long as they choose to offer it. For me and the vast number of their customs, it's not the make or break decision on cruising, though for some here it seems to be the critical point in that decision making process

As to changes in offering, they need to cover costs and return shareholder value somehow, so they are following what many related industries do, leave the core prices alone and charge more for the extras. Airlines have proven this to be a successful model hearing the news on their profits this week, so cruise lines need to as well.

If the answer to such a minor question is so important, perhaps Celebrity really isn't the right line for those folks, and they should look to sail elsewhere to ensure their happiness.

What X has made clear with recent published lists, is that all drinks and brands are subject to change at any time without notice, so even if a Pina were to be covered today, one could book tomorrow, and find pina as missing the next day, and have absolutely no reason to complain, so what's it really matter end of the day - this data point will never be finite and absolute.

In my defense...Celebrity said they would get back to me with an answer. (paying anything above $13) I'm not complaining, just waiting for the answer so I can decide ...pay as you go or the premium package.

I can't imagine Celebrity is thrilled when you tell OP's to cruise another line. I think at times you make valid points, but sadly, when you tell OP's that they have no common sense or they should cruise another line, it tends to discredit the the positives pointed out.

FYI...I think Celebrity is still a step above the rest. Yes, there have been some hic-ups along the way, but we have always gone back. I have cruised Carnival once...never went back. Cruised NCL once...never went back.

Edited by 20pluscruises

I can't imagine Celebrity is thrilled when you tell OP's to cruise another line.

It really makes no matter what Celebrirty thinks of me and my opinions. As always, a am pragmatic in my decision making routines, and am a realist. Yes I certainly defend many of their designs, but as you see in the post after the one you replied in, I also said they made a mess of the changes but that end of the day I respect their business model and approach, until such time as we see occupancy fall, which so far is not happening.

Some businesses DO have customers who are to high maintenance, or not positive revenue generators that are infact bad for a business and a business is better iff with them spending their money elsewhere, especially with a business has limited services (i.e. staterooms) to sell.

Lose the complainers, low spenders, bargain-focused customers to make room for those who don't complain, spend more and don't use bargain hunting as their primary reason for booking. Given the choice of those 2 customer profiles, I know which one my business would prefer to cater to. When I was with Marriott, we had a constant complainer, we finally sat him down and told him he was no longer welcome at out property, and he booked suites week after week, but marked our guest satisfaction scores so low, none of the employees would be eligible for bonuses, even though 99% of other scores were positive his low consistent marks drug the overall averages down. We told him clearly you are not happy here, so stop making yourself unhappy, go someplace else and blacklisted him from our property. And you know what, the next week the suite he stayed in sold to someone else who gave us positive marks. We never skipped a beat, and everyone was much more satisfied and happy.

I'm not calling YOU personally out mind you, just stating, X said they will get back, asked you to wait, and here we are, waiting, and nothing has changed, but it may change in the future even if they say today its allowed. The key point is the answer once given still won't be finite and absolute.

As I recall, Celebrity also asked you to wait for an answer - "good things come to those who wait". Maybe that;s their simple way of saying nothings changed, the unwritten policy will remain as such, and we aren;t going to put it into writing. Or maybe it means something else altogether....but in any case any answer they provide can be readily changed the day after you book none-the-less given the various "subject to change" languages all over the place.

What Celebrity has learned from these threads is to be very, very very careful about what material information they put into print. so perhaps they feel its best to leave the overage payment as an undocumented perk for now, and not document it.

Hopefully, Celebrity has learned not to post on here with regard to issues like this. They should just update their website. Once they post something, like they did, there are always those that have another question and/or issue and if their question goes unanswered, they feel slighted. Celebrity should just post their information on their website.

It really makes no matter what Celebrirty thinks of me and my opinions. As always, a am pragmatic in my decision making routines, and am a realist. Yes I certainly defend many of their designs, but as you see in the post after the one you replied in, I also said they made a mess of the changes but that end of the day I respect their business model and approach, until such time as we see occupancy fall, which so far is not happening.

Some businesses DO have customers who are to high maintenance, or not positive revenue generators that are infact bad for a business and a business is better iff with them spending their money elsewhere, especially with a business has limited services (i.e. staterooms) to sell.

Lose the complainers, low spenders, bargain-focused customers to make room for those who don't complain, spend more and don't use bargain hunting as their primary reason for booking. Given the choice of those 2 customer profiles, I know which one my business would prefer to cater to. When I was with Marriott, we had a constant complainer, we finally sat him down and told him he was no longer welcome at out property, and he booked suites week after week, but marked our guest satisfaction scores so low, none of the employees would be eligible for bonuses, even though 99% of other scores were positive his low consistent marks drug the overall averages down. We told him clearly you are not happy here, so stop making yourself unhappy, go someplace else and blacklisted him from our property. And you know what, the next week the suite he stayed in sold to someone else who gave us positive marks. We never skipped a beat, and everyone was much more satisfied and happy.

I'm not calling YOU personally out mind you, just stating, X said they will get back, asked you to wait, and here we are, waiting, and nothing has changed, but it may change in the future even if they say today its allowed. The key point is the answer once given still won't be finite and absolute.

As I recall, Celebrity also asked you to wait for an answer - "good things come to those who wait". Maybe that;s their simple way of saying nothings changed, the unwritten policy will remain as such, and we aren;t going to put it into writing. Or maybe it means something else altogether....but in any case any answer they provide can be readily changed the day after you book none-the-less given the various "subject to change" languages all over the place.

Bargain hunter? I simply want to know if I have to pay $7.50 for the $21.50 glass of wine with the premium package OR do I have to pay the full $21.50 if I have the premium package. I think most would like to know that up front.

I am also willing to wait for an answer, as a matter of fact, I thanked Celebrity for responding so quickly. It's not Celebrity that is giving me a hard time here.

Edited by 20pluscruises

Bargain hunter? I simply want to know if I have to pay $7.50 for the $21.50 glass of wine with the premium package OR do I have to pay the full $21.50 if I have the premium package. I think most would like to know that up front.

I am also willing to wait for an answer, as a matter of fact, I thanked Celebrity for responding so quickly. It's not Celebrity that is giving me a hard time here.

I guess my simple question to you and others is, knowing that policies are subject to change, how do you react if tomorrow they say it is just an up charge, and then by the time you sail the rule has changed and it's no longer just an up charge, it's full price. Knowing you have a full understanding that their policies are subject to change at any time, what's so important about getting this definite answer knowing that as of NOW it is just an up charge.

I'm just trying to inject some reasoned logic to the discussion versus "feelings and what should be" into it, basically a "contract" allows for changes whenever, so what's it matter if it's policy now or not - knowing it can change tomorrow.

The policy isn't going to be absolute and finite even once the they provide an answer - so in reality any answer provided will be 'moot'.

But you also have 0 reports of not be able pay the extra $ above the limit. IMO you can be sure if Celebrity changed this policy it would have been reported by someone.

Cruisenut reported that he paid the difference in the specialty restaurant.

He also reported that the wine he bought used to be "free" with the premium package:(

I'm willing to pay the extra $ above the $13 limit, but can't get an answer that this is 100% doable. :(

The problem is if they continue raising the wine prices several times a year w/o increasing the premium package limit we will be paying big $$$ in upcharge. The premium package is supposed to include "premium" wines. Now most "premium" wines require an upcharge:(

The problem is if they continue raising the wine prices several times a year w/o increasing the premium package limit we will be paying big $$$ in upcharge. The premium package is supposed to include "premium" wines. Now most "premium" wines require an upcharge:(

Unfortunately in today's world of increasing costs and a-la-cafrte pricing this is how a business makes a profit.

They keep the standard cruise fare relatively stable, and instead tweak the ancillary revenue streams. It's a proven successful business model - just look at the Airlines and their profits this quarter, and RCII's continued shareholder return increases year over year.

All we know for sure is prices will always continue to rise over time as long as costs continue to rise. The business needs to determine which prices it wants to change and how to change them to ensure it remains in business.

I guess my simple question to you and others is, knowing that policies are subject to change, how do you react if tomorrow they say it is just an up charge, and then by the time you sail the rule has changed and it's no longer just an up charge, it's full price. Knowing you have a full understanding that their policies are subject to change at any time, what's so important about getting this definite answer knowing that as of NOW it is just an up charge.

I'm just trying to inject some reasoned logic to the discussion versus "feelings and what should be" into it, basically a "contract" allows for changes whenever, so what's it matter if it's policy now or not - knowing it can change tomorrow.

The policy isn't going to be absolute and finite even once the they provide an answer - so in reality any answer provided will be 'moot'.

Okay, this def makes me look at it in a whole different way.

Edited by 20pluscruises

Many agree the shore side customer service does not equal the on ship experience, and I for one and grateful for that.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

SOOOO true. The most definitive absolute NO answers shoreside, often are met with the most simple and gracious of YES once onboard.

Hi all,

We can now confirm that if you have the Premium Beverage Package, that you will only pay the difference for a beverage that is not included. Apologies for the delay. Happy sailing!

Thank you!

Thanks for all your responses to this subject and thank you for all your responses to all the questions on this board. Celebrity remains our line of choice because of the staff and service on their ships...it has always been excellent with any problems addressed at once and with a pleasant attitude!