Q for People who successfully moved their child up in Adventure Ocean

PattyW

Is there any strategy that is more successful than any other?

Two of my kids would like to be in the same group next month. My daughter is 11 and my 8 year old turns 9 while on the cruise, but I know the basic rule is that he is considered 8 for the entirety of the cruise. The age group is 9-11.

Any advice would be great.

They are more likely to move the older child down, than to move the younger child up...but if you ask nicely, and they aren't too busy, they may do it. After the 1st day or so, you might find it's a non-issue for your kids. They will have ample time together, and might just enjoy the "age appropriate" activities designed just for them!

Something about your post really irritated me.

You say "age appropriate" like I'm trying to get a 6 year old in the 9-11 year old group. My 8 year old turns 9 while we are STILL ON THE CRUISE. We embark on June 15th and he turns 9 on June 21st. If we were on the very next cruise, they would have been together with no issues.

Thanks anyway.

My son's birthday always falls the week after we cruise every year. When he was turning 9, I just asked if he could move up to the next group because I felt he would enjoy that group better than the younger one.

They had no problem with it, they only required that he try the younger group for one time and then he could move to the older group. I'm not sure why they do that, but he only spent an hour or two with the younger group.

I would just go on the first day and ask them. I don't think you will have a problem.

My son's birthday always falls the week after we cruise every year. When he was turning 9, I just asked if he could move up to the next group because I felt he would enjoy that group better than the younger one.

They had no problem with it, they only required that he try the younger group for one time and then he could move to the older group. I'm not sure why they do that, but he only spent an hour or two with the younger group.

I would just go on the first day and ask them. I don't think you will have a problem.

This seems to be the "deal" - they want them to do one activity in their own age group and then determine if they can move up or not. It sometimes also depends on how many kids are on board.

My son turned 9 on our Freedom of the Seas cruise, I think it was day 4 of 7. They actually asked him which group he wanted to be in. He wanted to be in the older group to get away from his little sister (6 at the time). :)

This seems to be the "deal" - they want them to do one activity in their own age group and then determine if they can move up or not. It sometimes also depends on how many kids are on board.

they would want to observe the child in action to gauge if he's old enough (maturity-wise) as I imagine there's plenty of parents who insist their "child" is mature for their age.

Something to think about: maybe siblings might prefer to be with kids their own age (the 8 year-old-old-about-to-turn-9 might find kids he gets along with in the younger group, while the big sis might like the chance to be with girls her age and be away from her little brother). They see each other a lot while out in port and if going swimming.

I agree with this. I had no desire to be with my older sister who bossed me around or my younger sister who clung to me like glue and made me feel like a second mother. Just don't make a big deal about it. Take the kids the first day, sign them up and drop them off in the evening. If they hate it... then see about making a change. Chances are they will have fun regardless of what group they are in.

• 10 months later...

I realize this is an older post, and I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience with the moving up/down process.

Our situation is not with siblings, but with DS and his best friend. They have been best buddies since pre-school, but we have never vacationed together. Even though the boys are in the same grade, our trip falls such that DS will be 8 (and a solid 3 months away from being 9, so not really "close") and his buddy will have just turned 9. Unlike situations where siblings might want to have their own space...the boys will be crushed if they can't play together.

Would asking to move the 9 year old down be an easier path than trying to move the 8 year old up?

LisaT91403 -

I would tell the staff that the two friends would really like to be in the same camp, and tell them you would be happy to have either your son to move up or his friend to move down. You need to be extremely polite, and try to ask this when no other parent can overhear your request (the kids club staff doesn't want to be overwhelmed by requests from every parent on board or hear complaints from other parents who don't want your child to be moved).

Whether or not they will accommodate your request will depend upon how full the kids club is (it is harder on full sailings) and is at the discretion of the individual staff members you speak to. You don't lose anything by asking politely, but there is absolutely no guarantee that this request will be accommodated and if this is crucial to the children enjoying the cruise you should look at other lines that will guarantee they can be in the kids club together. If it would just make the cruise nicer, you can try to ask but prepare the boys for the possibility that this request may be denied.

Edited by kitkat343

LisaT91403 -

I would tell the staff that the two friends would really like to be in the same camp, and tell them you would be happy to have either your son to move up or his friend to move down. You need to be extremely polite, and try to ask this when no other parent can overhear your request (the kids club staff doesn't want to be overwhelmed by requests from every parent on board or hear complaints from other parents who don't want your child to be moved).

Whether or not they will accommodate your request will depend upon how full the kids club is (it is harder on full sailings) and is at the discretion of the individual staff members you speak to. You don't lose anything by asking politely, but there is absolutely no guarantee that this request will be accommodated and if this is crucial to the children enjoying the cruise you should look at other lines that will guarantee they can be in the kids club together. If it would just make the cruise nicer, you can try to ask but prepare the boys for the possibility that this request may be denied.

Thank you for the advice. Of course, I'd be polite :-) And I also realize that a request is just a request, not a guarantee. We would not consider a different cruise, as we are set on sailing Harmony when it is new. That's more important to us than the club.

Just curious...have you ever actually been on RCI? Or are you offering advice as a general rule applying to any cruise line? I was hoping to hear from some people who have had recent, "real world" experience specifically with Adventure Ocean.

Thanks again.

I have sailed on RCI, but just the smaller ships - where the 6-8 and 9-11 age groups are combined the entire cruise. Also, I believe that they sometimes combine these groups at night for some activities in the evenings. I would ask specifically if this is done on Oasis or Allure, as Harmony will function the same. Also, with the water slides/H2O zone, flow rider, rock climbing wall, zip line, and arcade, the kids may not spend too much time in club during the day, so if they are combined at night, it may work out for you.

I have sailed on RCI, but just the smaller ships - where the 6-8 and 9-11 age groups are combined the entire cruise. Also, I believe that they sometimes combine these groups at night for some activities in the evenings. I would ask specifically if this is done on Oasis or Allure, as Harmony will function the same. Also, with the water slides/H2O zone, flow rider, rock climbing wall, zip line, and arcade, the kids may not spend too much time in club during the day, so if they are combined at night, it may work out for you.

My son has been on 3 cruises where he's been old enough to go into the clubs. I honestly don't recall him ever visiting during the day (or, at the most, he might have gone for one specific hour-long activity on one single day). We really only use it at night, after dinner, so that we can have some adult time. I'm sure it will all work out...thanks for the info.

Just curious...have you ever actually been on RCI? Or are you offering advice as a general rule applying to any cruise line? I was hoping to hear from some people who have had recent, "real world" experience specifically with Adventure Ocean.

Thanks again.

My real world observation on Royal Carib - a family insisted the cousins wanted to be together. Adventure Ocean Staff would only allow the older kid to move down, not the younger kid to move up. Older kid didn't want to move down, so they went to their assigned groups.

Best,

Mia

My real world observation on Royal Carib - a family insisted the cousins wanted to be together. Adventure Ocean Staff would only allow the older kid to move down' date=' not the younger kid to move up. Older kid didn't want to move down, so they went to their assigned groups.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Thanks. I'm not surprised by that story (not surprised the parents insisted, not surprised they wouldn't let someone move up, not surprised the older kid didn't want to move). We will roll with it, no matter what happens. Thanks for the info.