Retreat and Movies

Hi. I am considering a cruise in late June on the Veendam. We have sailed the Maasdam to New England before and thought we would try the Veendam because my son is now old enough for the teen center and the hangout. What I would like to know, is can my son and I watch movies together in the Retreat area. We both love movies and this seems like a fun family activity. Is it ok for him to do so? I wouldn't want to anger anyone but we would obviously just be sitting there watching the movie.

The retreat is the kids only area. If you want to watch movies together you can pick from over a thousand DVDs and watch what you want in your cabin together any time, no charge, just turn them back into the front desk. Or am I missing something....

Hi. I am considering a cruise in late June on the Veendam. We have sailed the Maasdam to New England before and thought we would try the Veendam because my son is now old enough for the teen center and the hangout. What I would like to know, is can my son and I watch movies together in the Retreat area. We both love movies and this seems like a fun family activity. Is it ok for him to do so? I wouldn't want to anger anyone but we would obviously just be sitting there watching the movie.

While there is a screen in the Retreat area:

eiwdjq.jpg

we never saw anything (movies or otherwise) on it during our 21 night cruise on the Veendam last Oct/Nov.

I believe I've read other reviews that state that the screen isn't used any longer.

The retreat is the kids only area. If you want to watch movies together you can pick from over a thousand DVDs and watch what you want in your cabin together any time, no charge, just turn them back into the front desk. Or am I missing something....

No, the retreat is the hot tub/bar area in the aft of deck 11. The Oasis is the teen area and can be reached by stairs just outside the lido aft doors as you enter the Retreat area.

Oh I was missing something! I forgot that Veendam has the Retreat instead of the aft pool. But the DVDs deal is great! I've done all the Harry Potter movies on HAL ships! :)

I see people mentioning the DVDs quite often. I bet the newest one is at least 5 years old. Have you found something different because that doesn't interest me a whole lot.

We did the Veendam to Bermuda-(last one) and I watched a movie outside on that screen--memories are: lousy pizza, uncomfortable chairs and strong wind. Also no popcorn!! Wajang theater does show some films rated G. Look for them on your daily program. Also they have popcorn!!

Even though Quebec City is great -- I would rather go on the Maasdam and do Montreal.

There are movies in the Wajang Theater -- check the daily "On Location" program for the titles and times -- free popcorn here. This area is also used for the cooking demonstrations and cooking classes and a few other things.

You can get DVD's from the front desk as well -- fee.

There is also this option:

[/url]

Check this out:

(Forget the word "rented" -- they are free)

2012_Amsterdam_ship_pictures_190.JPG

2012_Amsterdam_ship_pictures_191.JPG

2012_Amsterdam_ship_pictures_192.JPG