Grandeur reviews only 79% happy...worried!

Their still using these old rust boats to get every last penney out of them! Be my gust and ignore the reviews and maybe it will be floating in the water another 10 years!:eek:

I ignored all the negative reviewsof Sovereign that I read (An there were many) for my first cruise and did not experience any of the negative stuf I had been reading and I am still cruising. If the reviews then were at the same rate 79% good/21% negative, I decided to go with the 79% and take the cruise. Most of the time I read the reviews that are negative, the writer has bashed the entire cruise with nothing good to say about it at all and even before my 1st cruise I did not think it could be that bad!

IMHO, I really believe that some of those all negative reviews about a particular cruise ship in a particular cruise line was written by someone from another cruiseline or very loyal to another cruise line. Just MHO!

The Grandeur was the first ship we went on 23 years ago.

I thought it first sailed in 1996? Regardless, we were on this ship on May 2 for the Bahamas cruise. It was sort a trial run for our family to see if we liked cruising. Turns out we loved it and have now booked a larger ship that has some more bells and whistles (and costs a lot more, sadly). I had very high expectations for the food, and was a little disappointed, mostly in the WJ. I just got really tired of the same old thing over and over. The MDR was very good, and when we did have something we didn't care for, they very quickly brought us something that was more to our liking. The lamb on our last night was fantastic! It was very easy to drive to Baltimore and nice to keep costs down by not having to fly, in our case. Now I just wish there was a way to get larger ships into Baltimore, and an itinerary that doesn't include Bermuda or Nassau… been there done that!

Get on board expecting to find a thing or two that you don't care for, but ultimately you'll have a great time! (And I think ANY ship you get on you'll find a thing or two that you don't care for!)

Edited by sharse

MDR food in March was the best we've had in a long time. It was much better than Allure and I think the sheer number of meals has as much to do with it as anything. We're going back on her in Nov and can't wait. The crew is very friendly and we enjoy ourselves and board with a good attitude.

Be careful doing a live blog from any ship. A friend of mine did this in March on another cruise forum site and when she sailed on Oasis last month she was put on 'the watch list' that RCI have. She received a call about conduct before she left home and the was met with a 'friendly lecture' on the ship when she boarded from the guest services manager.

Lecture about what? What conduct was inappropriate?

Fear not the negative reviews. We were on Grandeur a couple weeks ago on the Bermuda cruise and it was excellent. It was one of the best cruises we've had. The crew is outstanding - very helpful and accommodating. The ship itself, IMO was very well kept. Public areas were always spotless. The dining room food and service ranged from good to very good, and the specialty restaurants we tried (Giovanni's and Chef's Table) were excellent. We've cruised every size RC ship from the Majesty to Allure and Oasis, and while the Grandeur is much smaller than Oasis or Freedom class ships, its size makes it much more intimate. You actually get to see the cruise staff and other passengers more than once during the week. Oh, and as for the cruise staff....Ricky Matthews, the Cruise Director and Andre the Activities Manager were fantastic. Lots of energy, always visible.

Relax and get ready for a good time. It's there to be had and if you can't find it then it's your own fault.

My husband and I were on the 2/28 sailing of Grandeur. First time on RCCL and first time out of a port north of Florida. The fact we could drive from our home in upstate NY to the port was great, saved a lot in airfare. Would I do it again? NO. We encountered rough seas the last 24 hours (40' swells)around Cape Hatteras, so I would never chance sailing out of a port north of Florida again. This of course, was nothing to do with RCCL. And of course we could encounter rough seas anywhere... Anyways... Things within RCCL's control were great! Food was "good as some, better than most". I don't expect 4 Star when going to MDR or Windjammer. I really enjoyed the selections at Windjammer. We dined at Chops one night, it was very good. I found the service everywhere on Grandeur to be average to excellent, just like any of my other cruises.(this was my 6th cruise) For the most part, every crew member was friendly and did a great job. The last 24 hours were not pleasant and there were A LOT of sick passengers and crew. But the crew was there, doing their jobs with smiles. Kudos to them!

For the ship itself, for an older ship, she was in great shape! Everything was very clean and in good order. We had an oceanview cabin, and happy with that selection. (other than the 40' swells being above our window during the bad seas... heavy sigh). Grandeur does not have all the "bells and whistles", but we knew that before booking and appreciated the fact those things were "missing". Grandeur has a lot of class, something that I find the mega ships lack.

Would I sail on Grandeur again? Sure, if she sails out of Florida, but that is just me. The ship and crew were great. Enjoy our vacation and not having to cook, clean and not pressed to be anywhere you don't want to be at any certain time!.

Edited by cayugashue

My husband and I were on the 2/28 sailing of Grandeur. First time on RCCL and first time out of a port north of Florida. The fact we could drive from our home in upstate NY to the port was great, saved a lot in airfare. Would I do it again? NO. We encountered rough seas the last 24 hours (40' swells) so I would never chance sailing out of a port north of Florida again. This of course, was nothing to do with RCCL. And of course we could encounter rough seas anywhere...

You are correct - rough seas can be encountered anywhere at anytime. The roughest seas we ever hit were on a FL based cruise between Panama and Jamaica - quite large swells as well.

Have also sailed out of NJ / Balt. three times with very calm seas with the exception of the last night returning from a December cruise to NJ when we hit a storm. But as you said, that can happen anywhere.

Will be sailing for the fourth time this July from the north east, this time for our second time out of Baltimore on Grandeur and looking very much forward to it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You are correct - rough seas can be encountered anywhere at anytime. The roughest seas we ever hit were on a FL based cruise between Panama and Jamaica - quite large swells as well.

Have also sailed out of NJ / Balt. three times with very calm seas with the exception of the last night returning from a December cruise to NJ when we hit a storm. But as you said, that can happen anywhere.

Will be sailing for the fourth time this July from the north east, this time for our second time out of Baltimore on Grandeur and looking very much forward to it.

We disembarked with a woman, who was on her 72nd cruise, most out of the NE and said the weather on this voyage was the worst she had ever seen. She assured me I would probably have to go on another 72 cruises to see such bad weather again! LOL. I'm sure she is right... but I'm "that person" who always gets in the wrong line at the grocery store check out, or who happens to sit on the wrong park bench under a tree full of birds!

Maybe time will help alleviate my uncertainty of cruising out of the northern region.

Be careful doing a live blog from any ship. A friend of mine did this in March on another cruise forum site and when she sailed on Oasis last month she was put on 'the watch list' that RCI have. She received a call about conduct before she left home and the was met with a 'friendly lecture' on the ship when she boarded from the guest services manager.

Wow!! Now that did scare me. I am rather worried that Radio, Gambee, Bugsy...just to name a few Live Reporters, might not do Live Reviews again!

We are looking forward to our cruise on the Grandeur. Older and not as many venues as the newer ships but still, relaxation, fun and sun!

Edited by JMG

Wow!! Now that did scare me. I am rather worried that Radio, Gambee, Bugsy...just to name a few Live Reporters, might not do Live Reviews again!

We are looking forward to our cruise on the Grandeur. Older and not as many venues as the newer ships but still, relaxation, fun and sun!

Don't be scared. This poster had started another thread about that subject and it seems to have disappeared. The poster has been very vague about what supposedly happened.

Edited by BND

I was on the Grandeur last May for 7 nights to Bermuda and loved it. Booked her again for 10 nights in January (first time returning to a ship) and she was just a good. We were on the final sailing before the fire and the executives from Miami were onboard rolling out the new menus. The food was incredible. In January we were worried they may have forgotten everything since the fire happened right afterwards, the food was just as incredible. Two sailings on her and easily the top two cruises in terms of food quality. While we were onboard they also announced that she had won the 2013 award for best food in the fleet. So IMO food should be the last thing you worry about when boarding the Grandeur. In regards to the ships rating dropping I think it is a sideffect of her homeport. Baltimore was the quickest and easiest port we've sailed from but it was a horrible winter and I think a lot of people blame the ship for the rough seas which is not her fault at all. She's a smaller ship and rough seas will hammer any ship.

As I read this thread, I see many experienced cruisers. They can attest to the fact that a cruise or vacation is what you personally do to make it what it turns out to be. We have been on Lady "G" 3 times previously and scheduled for 3 more, August, December and March. I have had such smooth seas it looked like glass and then the winds would be strong and in January we had a snowed covered ship. It can happen on whatever ship. I felt the food was great and liked the WJ for breakfast and lunch. We had my time dining and had excellent servers. GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS is a great ship and has a wonderful staff who go out of their way to make your trip memorable. Make the most of it.

Happy Sailing!

Evie

My family has our first RCI cruise coming up on Grandeur and I've been closely following cruiser reviews since January. Down, down, the ratings have gone. I know she's an old ship and took that into consideration when booking at what I thought a reasonable (but by no meas cheap) rate. My biggest concern are the constant reviews about bad food, in particular the newest chef's combination choices such as stroganoff that comes in mystery sauce instead of cream and potatoes with olives, or complaints of extreme under seasoning. What??

I realize not everyone has time to write a review, so please, if you have sailed her within the past few months can you reassure me you've had good meals in the MDR? We can't afford the specialty restaurants for our large family.

Hi SandyBShores,

If you do a search on the forums for Grandeur of the Seas Family Review for April 5th. There are pictures, Cruise Compass that she posted. I was also on this Cruise and I liked the ship and booked another cruise on her. Then I got the Noro virus which was not fun. You will have a Great Time and the Crew was Fantastic.

Wendy

Lecture about what? What conduct was inappropriate?

Indeed.

"Stuff and nonsense."

Seriously, on a scale of one to ten, on the BS Meter, this ranks a 12. :rolleyes:

We were on the Grandeur in December. We had rough seas but...it was December so it wasn't unexpected. Anyway, we loved the ship. The food was good, no complaints. We were nervous because the previous December we'd sailed on the Explorer out of Bayonne, and the food was horrible. But, once we were on the Grandeur and sampled the food, we relaxed.

Yes, the ship is smaller than the mega ships, but that was fine for us. The ship is easy to maneuver around, we never felt like we were lost. And, the crew was great. We especially liked the aerial shows that they do in the centrum, those were really nice.

I think everyone has different tastes, and bear in mind that there are those who have chips on their shoulders to begin with and look for things to complain about.

Just go, have a good time, and make your own conclusions.

I was on her May 9-16 and had a great time! I too was expecting bad food due to the reviews, but I don't think I had one bad meal. I also expected to be disappointed in the ship after my last 2 cruises on Freedom and Oasis, but still had a great time.

Remember that only a tiny percentage of passengers write reviews, and people are also more likely to write about (perceived) negative experiences than positive. I try to take reviews with a grain of salt too, because some people just love to complain!

I was on the Jewel of the Seas several years ago. Its been steady at 86% for quite some time even when i went 5 years ago. I remember it was why i chose it back then.

Anyways, out of all my cruises, Jewel of the Seas was the worst cruise i've ever been on. Now, that's not saying that it was a horrible cruise. It was quite lovely, but this particular cruise just fell a little flat with service and professionalism and food. All the other cruises have been so wonderful and memorable, but this one stood out easily as the "worst" cruise.

That being said Carnival Liberty hovered between 79 and 80%. Significantly lower than Jewel, but Carnival Liberty turned out to be the best cruise i've ever had. They for some reason, did everything right and it was just the best cruise I've ever taken.

The numbers are arbitrary. They are a direct response to people's ratings. If someone rates a cruise at 1 because one night they forgot to refill the water, that is given the same weight as if someone who gave a cruise a 1 who was a victim of a crime by roving gangs of crew members.

Don't let the numbers sway you. Instead of looking at the numbers, look at the content of the reviews. Look at what they describe and see if that's what you like or do not like. See if its trivial, or if there is a valid complaint. Reading these reviews, you'll start to see what is fluff and what is valid. Also, older ships allow more disgruntled 1s to unfairly sway the numbers down. Also, each cruise has many factors that change. Passenger make up, crew make up, policy changes, shows, itinerary, time of year, destination, all of these make one ship, diverse each time it goes out,so having one point to compare all of it, is a bit unfair.

There was one reviewer that I actually met on my last cruise who blasted the Grandeur the first time she went on it. She actually called it the sewer ship because there was this odor of raw sewage on certain decks. She actually gave the ship another chance and she reported that after the refit, they fixed that problem and it was amazing.

I'm really happy I posted this and received so many responses putting things into perspective and easing my worries! I think maybe for me I'll just unsubscribe from the Reviews and judge for myself.

Of note, this is my first RCI cruise and I actually love the fact that she is a small ship without the bells and whistles. My vacation goal is relaxation! I'll be happy for no cell phone distractions (for me and the kids!), no cooking, no cleaning, no chauffering...

Thank you to everyone who responded!!

I gather your cruise is this summer?

The activities staff onboard is very entertaining. I wasn't mad about the cruise director, but he'll be on vacation until August. The rest of the staff was delightful. There is plenty to see and do--whether you participate or just watch, there are things going on around the ship like shows, games, contests, etc., that are a lot of fun. But if you don't want to do any of those things, there are also places to sit and listen to live music, or just sit and read a book. We were surprised at how uncrowded the ship felt.

As far as the food, I can say that there were some discrepancies between the descriptions on the menu and the actual dish that was served. We joked that they had lost the recipe book. One example was that the chocolate sensation dessert, which we liked on our previous cruise specifically because it has a marzipan layer, did not have the marzipan (described on the menu as "almond icing.") Or sometimes the description was misleading. I ordered a dessert last night that was described as “Williams Pear Chocolate Crisp” (Williams pear cream, chocolate crunch, chocolate reduction). This turned out to be a molded mousse type thing with three holes filled with chocolate sauce and a piece of chocolate candy stuck at one end. Apparently, the chocolate candy was the "chocolate crisp," but I think I can be forgiven for anticipating that it involved, you know, a crisp, like an apple crisp. It was fine, just not what I expected. There were several examples where the item was fine, just not what was advertised--there's no guacamole in the veggie quesadilla in the Park Cafe even though the description says there is. These things don't really ruin anything--they were more funny than upsetting--particularly because the waiter will be perfectly happy to bring something else!

The vegetarian in our party found her choices to be somewhat limited. Pasta was always an option, but she would have liked better and more varied options for salad. The main dining room's "Tutti Salad" at lunch was a better option than some others, but our traveling companions noted it did not compare favorably to their college dining hall. (They do go to a school that has a reputation for good food and being very vegetarian-friendly.) She had fun trying a new chilled fruit soup every night, though.

The aerial shows in the Centrum were fun to watch (you may get a better view from deck six or seven than from the dance floor in the Centrum), and if you're onboard during the day in port, you may get to watch a rehearsal too.

Posting from the Windjammer on Grandeur. We had a lovely time and were very entertained. The food was fine. Not great, but enjoyable enough. I would do another Bermuda cruise on this ship.

Posting from the balcony of my Junior Suite. (Free upgrade)

:)

So far, everything is GREAT. My wonderful steward, who is everything that we all talk about as The Great Royal Caribbean Steward, just brought me a lounger from the pool deck for my balcony!!!

The sun has come out. I am lying on my chaise on my balcony.

LIFE IS GOOD.

BTW, Danny is the LA and Desmond is here!

Posting from the balcony of my Junior Suite. (Free upgrade)

:)

So far, everything is GREAT. My wonderful steward, who is everything that we all talk about as The Great Royal Caribbean Steward, just brought me a lounger from the pool deck for my balcony!!!

The sun has come out. I am lying on my chaise on my balcony.

LIFE IS GOOD.

BTW, Danny is the LA and Desmond is here!

Is that Danney League? If so, please send him regards from Bob & Lee from his Monarch days.